Showcase [Showcase] Truffle Worm Autofarm v2.0 (vastly improved in 1.3 Expert Mode)

I have a standard set-up I do with a skeleton statue in a chamber next to mine when I farm AFK (although I'm about to finish a self-powered AFK farm I'm going to showcase on here very soon).

I have a standard set-up I do with a skeleton statue in a chamber next to mine when I farm AFK (although I'm about to finish a self-powered AFK farm I'm going to showcase on here very soon).

The TW farm in the guide essentially requires the signaling agent to be off-screen, because the pressure plates it'll be activating in the hoik track need to be closer to the teleporters they are connected to than to any of the other teleporters in the spawn area.

That brings me to my next question: you've got 8 teleporters on the ground, how do you ensure that a mob from #1 doesn't get sent to #2 f(or example) instead of the far away one?

That brings me to my next question: you've got 8 teleporters on the ground, how do you ensure that a mob from #1 doesn't get sent to #2 f(or example) instead of the far away one?

If you connect multiple teleporters with the same wire, any mob or player departing from any one teleporter will always be sent to the most distant teleporter (as measured by wire distance). All the mobs in the TW farm are teleported to a very distant teleporter where they despawn almost instantly.

Do you know whether or not that the despawning mechanics are the same on console and mobile version as PC? I was making this and I was wondering if that was also true because 1.3 made a lot of minor changes. Sorry about the thread bump. :p

Do you know whether or not that the despawning mechanics are the same on console and mobile version as PC? I was making this and I was wondering if that was also true because 1.3 made a lot of minor changes. Sorry about the thread bump. :p

The mechanics should be the same, although on PC the minimum distance for an instant despawn isn't reliable from testing. In my farm the destination teleporter is around 900 tiles away just to be safe, and I have no problems with any back-teleporting so the mobs must be despawning in a game tick. I never tested what the minimum distance is though.

The mechanics should be the same, although on PC the minimum distance for an instant despawn isn't reliable from testing. In my farm the destination teleporter is around 900 tiles away just to be safe, and I have no problems with any back-teleporting so the mobs must be despawning in a game tick. I never tested what the minimum distance is though.

On console you don't need the teleporters anyway, the mobs don't hurt the worms.

I suppose if you're trying to set a record, but day-to-day you don't really need them. The farm I built was going to be like yours, but during testing I found that the vertical hoik rail wasn't usable as the worms "sense" you whether you're visible or not (it must be a console thing). I did find that they all ended up in a pile right below my feet, so I would teleport down every 60 seconds or so while swinging the net. I ended up with so many worms I started selling them.

This was before Christmas though; my family got me a PS4 and there's no cross-buy available, which means paying for the same game twice AND starting all over again, so I haven't really touch the game since Christmas eve.

I suppose if you're trying to set a record, but day-to-day you don't really need them. The farm I built was going to be like yours, but during testing I found that the vertical hoik rail wasn't usable as the worms "sense" you whether you're visible or not (it must be a console thing). I did find that they all ended up in a pile right below my feet, so I would teleport down every 60 seconds or so while swinging the net. I ended up with so many worms I started selling them.

Are you sure you built the transition from horizontal to vertical hoik exactly as showcased? If even one tooth is off it can stop the worms from being hoiked upwards.

Are you sure you built the transition from horizontal to vertical hoik exactly as showcased? If even one tooth is off it can stop the worms from being hoiked upwards.
They went up fine, but when they got to a few teeth below me they got scared and bolted. In the end I rigged up the player teleporter to a timer cascade and left the bug net on auto-swing. I went to the shops and when I got back I had 50+ worms. I haven't posted a pic yet as I was hoping that I could get the farm onto my PS4 and take a proper screenshot. Then Assassin's Creed happened.

You know, I'm wondering if you can't prevent worms from dying in the spawn area.

Are critters grouped separately from mobs in the event order of a game tick? Are statue spawned skeletons considered in the same array as naturally spawned mobs?

If yes and yes, it might be possible to save worms entirely from damage except from bulbs.

Maybe the alternating teeth might limit that or eliminate it entirely.
When making my turbo farm design, I found that worms just got stack at any transitions between actuated and unactuated lengths of horizontal hoiks, so alternating didn't work for me. Anyone tested this more definitely here? I don't know for sure that some clever arrangement of top then bottom horizontal hoik teeth won't magically do the job...

The relatively slow speed of the worms in the horizontal hoik is also a core reason why I went vertical (as they invariably tended to fight against the direction of movement, courtesy of feeling trapped and turning back). With @DicemanX 's superior worm up-hoik design (running successfully at double the speed of mine), I should think that using that in a more vertical farm configuration should prove (very marginally) more optimal. (And the far more efficient teleportation de-spawn technique.) The bigger space above the spawn surface in that configuration (very) slightly decreasing the chances of missed spawn events too (perhaps if only a fraction of a percent).

Nice builds, and nice thread, all contributors. :)
[DOUBLEPOST=1455266711,1455265696][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are critters grouped separately from mobs in the event order of a game tick?
I don't think so. I think truffle worms are mixed into the same array as all other mobs (just with their different ID and characteristics).

But.... If you had (a) statue mob(s) spawned in isolation (like damage blocking slimes), to have the lowest ID and first turn in the collision detection loop, each tick, then used them in a hoik engine to power each of the surface teleporters every tick... Then that might teleport out those mobs that were even spawned atop of the truffle worms before they could do their first tick of melee damage...

Is that what you were aiming for with all those doll engines in a previous post? I'm not sure what the doll's execution priority is, though. (I'm pretty out-of touch here, and trying to catch back up and remember what I've forgotten.) Also not certain if activating the teleporters every tick gives the mobs chance to despawn at a distance (reliably). Presumably it does, given this build. Thinking of the large number of wire activations in such a setup does make me wince a little: even a small, simple rail powered goldfish statue farm has caused my multi-player server to crash repeatedly (apparently due to inability to handle the wire activations). Although single player is a different kettle of fish, and also there's no horrible lag from teleporter activations provided that they don't teleport anything, hence not drawing the resource intensive animated particle effect...

But.... If you had (a) statue mob(s) spawned in isolation (like damage blocking slimes), to have the lowest ID and first turn in the collision detection loop, each tick, then used them in a hoik engine to power each of the surface teleporters every tick... Then that might teleport out those mobs that were even spawned atop of the truffle worms before they could do their first tick of melee damage...

Yes. Depends on when newly spawned mobs are added to the "mobs array".

This is a bit of a necropost but I wanted to post my findings on a multi-player world. Over the course of several worlds, I've built all of the versions shown in this thread. I'm not necessarily looking for maximum efficiency but rather reliability. Long runs of actuated blocks, especially runs that are being actuated at 30 or 60 cycles/seconds are problematic in multi-player due to latency. It is all too common to have the horizontal and vertical hoik tracks end up out of correct sequence rendering the farm inoperative until the player can fix the sequencing.

By far, the most reliable and coincidentally efficient farm is V2 with Super Dart Traps and the player positioned below the spawn surface. I am averaging 240 truffle worms/hour using this configuration. The design is tight in that the player has to be as far to the right as possible while farming or the truffle worms will sense the player just prior to the up ramp and bolt.

I incorporated a method to shut the Dummy ghost engine in this design using a switch and two logic gates. After looking at this design in picture format, I am going to swap wire colours between the red and blue wires that switch the logic gates. This will allow me to remove the switch and have the teleportation in/out switch the engine logic gates to the on/off position.

Overview

Truffle Farm Overview.PNG

Teleporter View

Truffle Farm Teleporter.PNG

Player Position

Truffle Worm Plater Position.PNG

[doublepost=1480608489,1480603805][/doublepost]**UPDATE**

I have rewired the farm so that the Dummy Ghost engine shuts down on teleport out of the farm and just ran a 1-hour test on the capture rate for the farm. The wiring is neater now IMO and the farm functions perfectly for my needs.

I made 62 Gold from killing the Fungi Bulbs and farmed 291 Truffle Worms, 148 Glowing Snails and 32 Snails.

Truffle Worm Farm Wiring Update.PNG

Very clever. With the other farms I was always like "why don't you just teleport hostiles away?" because I recently read that critters ignore teleporters. Im testing a design that has a ceiling 2 blocks high so that only critters(and the occasional blue slime, dart traps get em) can actually spawn. I tried and 1 high is nonfunctional sadly.

Back
Top Bottom