Biomes & Nature [Sprites] Biome-colored lava

Making this right now and having some trouble with changing the colour of the lighting on the lava. If anyone more proficient could chime in on this it would be pretty helpful. .tapi file is included if anyone wants to look through and insult my methods :) Did this pretty quick so I have only done the cursed inferno and ichor and it seems to work pretty well. Also managed to remove the on fire debuff from the 'custom' lava. (Also I have yet to change lava fall colours)

Also it should be pretty obvious that I like this idea! Awesome suggestion Snicker.

EDIT: Some screens for you all.

vL393SN.png

IrnxjWz.png

As you can see it looks pretty nice and really fitting. These screens are taken in game!

Biomes have a unique effect on water which changes water's color, so I thought: How about lava, too?

ZsJMJKi.png
Normal: How it appears everywhere else besides the below biomes.
b7ZLqM2.png
Corruption: A bright green, like cursed flames.
pM70Gpt.png
Crimson: A bright yellow, like ichor.
wPVYz8e.png
Hallow: A glowing cyan as... I dunno.
IgC2Z1D.png
Snow: Turns a dark gray with red cracks/wrinkles, like it's cooling down.
7EizJgy.png
Jungle: Black? Like tar.. *shrug*

8sqLsKr.png
Confection: A glowing brown, as hot chocolate. No, don't drink it- it's boiling!
sHAEgrV.png
Cyber: A transparent white, as battery acid. @Zoomo
TvndOea.png
Contagion: A sickly purple, like its hardmode Miasma material. @Tobbvald

Dunno on the others.

If it's possible, the evil biome-colored lavas would inflict their biome's debuff, with Hallow giving Confusion and Snow and Jungle slowing movement down similar to Honey.

You could change the color of lava outside the corresponding biome with water fountains.. OR with new lava fountain items that appear to be made of obsidian rather than stone, likely sold by the Witch Doctor in Hardmode.

This change would not only expand upon the themes of the different biomes, but allow for new decorative liquid types as well. Instead of just
ZsJMJKi.png
, there'd be a variety of colors
ZsJMJKi.png
b7ZLqM2.png
pM70Gpt.png
wPVYz8e.png
IgC2Z1D.png
7EizJgy.png
(
8sqLsKr.png
sHAEgrV.png
TvndOea.png
)!

Do you Two realize what you've got here? THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING!
This solves tonnes of "add-a-new-liquid" vs. "four-liquid-limit" suggestion arguments that have been going on for years!

----
Also, instead of "snow" lava and tar having a viscosity change, it could just inflict the Slow debuff in addition to a shorter duration of On-Fire! debuff.

This solves tonnes of "add-a-new-liquid" vs. "four-liquid-limit" suggestion arguments that have been going on for years!

----
Also, instead of "snow" lava and tar having a viscosity change, it could just inflict the Slow debuff in addition to a shorter duration of On-Fire! debuff.
It's not new liquids though, it's the same liquid that changes color in certain biomes, and it doesn't even work properly on lava yet...

I'll be honest here... This honestly seems more confusing than it's worth.
I mean, sure, I can kind of get the corruption one, but all the rest I would not see and assume is a dangerous liquid.

Also, we're moving dangerously close to the boundaries of what consists of a new liquid.

If you read my post yo would see that it is 100% possible as I have already done it. Don't know why people have this idea that it is not possible. We are just changing a liquid in a biome, not adding a new one to the game for every biome. Refer to my post here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?posts/443464/
Holy :red:, do you realize what you have done? Many comments of no fourth liquid can now be worked around.

Have all my support. I love this suggestion like most of the rest you have made. and since jordan already cleared up how it would be diffrent from adding another liquid , i have no reason to argue against it.

i actually support this idea entirely. it would be pretty bad :red: to have lava linked to biomes, i'd even be okay with it inflict the corresponding debuffs.

It's still not a fourth liquid... it's just different colored lava, and it's missing the lighting effect.
And as I have stated, this (lighting changes) is probably something that can be fixed, I just don't know how. Maybe @Shockah @Yoraiz0r @Grox The Great or some other actual modder could come along and shed some light onto the viability and the how to for changing the lighting.

Also as I mentioned previously, if Red were to add this, he could easily change the lighting no problems due to having the whole source and what not, thus making a new liquid without making a new liquid.

Keep in mind I made this in about an hour and couldn't really be bothered getting something fully done, just wanted proof to satiate people like yourself with the fact that this is a possibility.

----
It isn't really a fourth liquid per se, just an alternate based on in game location of the player. I could go ahead and make a 'new' liquid for every single biome, at every single height, for every single time of day, for every single event(possibilities are endless), I would just have to change one of the liquids into whatever I want. Super hot lava in hell, easy. Making a new liquid that may be in world along side lava water and honey, not gonnna happen in tAPI afaik.

I really like this suggestion. It's so small, but it makes such a big aesthetic difference. Also, I think that for the Covet (one of the Suggestion biomes), maybe you could make it a really deep orange, since that seems to be a big color in the Covet.

They'd be 'new' for their appearance and effects on the player (which Snicker already mentioned perhaps not being doable, and this being purely aesthetic, like how water changes color from biome to biome), but I think for the sake of differentiating liquids by how they interact with one another, they should still act like lava on that front. IE, water hitting any of these will still make obsidian (even though that wouldn't entirely make sense), and honey hitting any of these would still turn crispy.
Darn! ..yeah, it would be more simple that way. I'd love to have some sort of cursed obsidian, cream chocolate, and etc blocks, but it would be too complex I guess.

The snow one is the only one that's really questionable due to it also taking on a different consistency altogether. However, it's also really hard to get lava in a snow biome without artificial moving around of materials because I'm pretty sure underground ice almost if not always naturally ends just short of the lava layer. I'd say leave that one out, for now, especially due to its complex texture that might not mesh with the game's upcoming new liquid physics.

It would also be weird, still, to have even cooling lava in contact with ice. Perhaps the glowing cyan could be used in the ice biome (and optionally inflict frostburn), and the Hallow instead have glowing pink or magenta 'lava' like the various Chaos creatures?
I gave the Hallow a cyan lava because it has a pink water already. I do like the look of the cooled down lava in the snow biome, though the actual graphic may need some changing to fit animation better (or some different frames for a smoother movement.) I was also wondering if Mushroom biome should have a lava type which would have meant 3 blue/cyan lavas, though as such a small biome it could do without.

Making this right now and having some trouble with changing the colour of the lighting on the lava. If anyone more proficient could chime in on this it would be pretty helpful. .tapi file is included if anyone wants to look through and insult my methods :) Did this pretty quick so I have only done the cursed inferno and ichor and it seems to work pretty well. Also managed to remove the on fire debuff from the 'custom' lava. (Also I have yet to change lava fall colours)

Also it should be pretty obvious that I like this idea! Awesome suggestion Snicker.

EDIT: Some screens for you all.

vL393SN.png

IrnxjWz.png

As you can see it looks pretty nice and really fitting. These screens are taken in game!
It looks great! Adds so much more atmosphere, I think.

If the green lava would cause the Cursed Flame debuff it'd make sense, but why would Crimson Lava cause the Ichor debuff? It's not piss, it's still lava.
Ichor isn't piss, either. Ichor is the the blood of gods. Crimson transforms stone into flesh, so it would turn lava into burning blood too.

Also, I don't think that the Jungle and Snow biome should have it's own lava, since they are natural biome and not "infected" versions of existing land.
These biomes also change the color of water and sky.

Ichor isn't piss, either. Ichor is the the blood of gods. Crimson transforms stone into flesh, so it would turn lava into burning blood too.
It's never described outright as piss but the game heavily implies it.
I mean:
Ichor_Sticker.png

Looks fairly akin to a bladder, certainly not a god, and it doesn't help that it spawns in the lower crimson...
And
Golden_Shower.png
: The "Golden Shower". The wiki notes:
Wiki said:
  • "Golden shower" is a slang term for the act of urinating on someone, with the name here likely referring to the fact that the attack looks like a stream of urine.

I mean:
Ichor_Sticker.png

Looks fairly akin to a bladder, certainly not a god, and it doesn't help that it spawns in the lower crimson...
And
Golden_Shower.png
I think you guys are missing the point... Dan was trying to point out that in the crimson, lava would become a complete different liquid even though it's still technically lava. With the corruption it makes a little sense (lava with cursed fire), but none of the other biomes make any sense because things like ichor and tar are nothing like lava, and having lava suddenly change into those liquids when you enter a new biome would be pretty jarring and weird.

I mean:
Ichor_Sticker.png

And
Golden_Shower.png
The tooltip of Ichor states "The blood of gods".. I'll stick to what is over what might be referenced.

I think you guys are missing the point... Dan was trying to point out that in the crimson, lava would become a complete different liquid even though it's still technically lava. With the corruption it makes a little sense (lava with cursed fire), but none of the other biomes make any sense because things like ichor and tar are nothing like lava, and having lava suddenly change into those liquids when you enter a new biome would be pretty jarring and weird.
The infectious biomes infect things. Crimson turns stone into meat and water a bloody color. I think it's jarring that lava doesn't change as well.

You can simply see it as yellow lava, as that's all what it is. I think you're thinking too deeply into this. Realism just because realism in a fantasy game does nothing but subtract from the game. These are mostly atmospheric changes, like how the jungle turns the sky green.

The infectious biomes infect things. Crimson turns stone into meat and water a bloody color. I think it's jarring that lava doesn't change as well.

You can simply see it as yellow lava, as that's all what it is. I think you're thinking too deeply into this. Realism just because realism in a fantasy game does nothing but subtract from the game. These are mostly atmospheric changes, like how the jungle turns the sky green.
I guess it could be yellow lava, but what about the hallow and jungle? They look nothing like lava, and with these you run into the problem of conveying that they are lethal to touch.

I agree with Terror, these are completely new liquids. In fact, red will NEED to code in new liquids for this to work, due to some of them giving you cursed buffs, others being slow but deadly, etc.
They can just take out all of the current coding for lava and have it so it gives different effects depending on what biome the player is in. They would be different liquids in the players' eyes but in the game it's just a debuff liquid with different debuffs wherever that player is.

Back
Top Bottom