PS4 Suggestions for inventory and GUI

Yes, I guessed as much. Just pointing it out. Hopefully since 505 games said they would be getting updates out faster and giving more attention to console players, we aren't very far off from these changes. Haha

Addition-
Also, Auto-placeing-mining-thing with walls, it's SO neat on the PC!
Pigron Lord of the Snow

Yeah it is, the addition of the smart cursor in that update was one of my favs. I believe it was the mine cart update that added it. Am I correct in this, Nike Leon?

Last edited:
So here's my input. Yes the GUI needs an update but honestly I could care less about how much smoother it would be although I know a great way to do it. My main thing is MAKE IT TRANSPARENT I mean its bad enough I have to stay in one spot but I also can't see if a wrath is coming up on me or someones opening my door? Super annoying. So look PC I know uses the mouse wheel and its super great but consider this, what if like the PC version a pop out menu showing all the craftable items on display. Now heres where I think the Console could benefit:

1. Make a craft table
2. Press a button like L3 or something
3. A list of items you can make on the available workshops (in this case just the craft table) that is much like the pc list
4. When you pick an item or category from the list the item(s) requirements are listed in a smaller box
5. Get rid of the stupid digital pad hotbar because we already have a hotbar that we use R1 and L1 on, having another one is silly and redundant.
6. Use the digital pad to navigate this menu.
7. craft a furnace and place it
8. the list gets bigger as long as you are close to both table and furnace
9. minimize the size of everything. Seriously everything is way to big and the PS4 seems to want people to read very small font. We can handle it 505 if it means getting a smoother and nicer GUI!!!

I feel like these changes will make the console versions a lot more pleasing and actually help players so they don't get their butts handed to them just for simply crafting. I know my example wasn't the best one but you get it. Basically like the GUI in place you can select a category and then scroll through the list and see what you need but the huge box that covers the screen and immobilizes the player is ridiculous no matter how much you try to defend it.

Now as for the inventory, make it like PC again but players can go to options to set the size of the inv. and when you press a button the inv. opens up, no more opening it to toss something and have the screen covered. We are big boys and girls we don't need a big screen in our face that isnt transparent and if you do then get glasses. Seriously its not that hard people.

Finally theres housing. Now given the setup that I just gave, we kind of don't have any buttons left unless I forgot one. Honestly I'm going to go with another game for a moment to help this one out, FFXIV. with FFXIV they have it so that you can press in the touchpad to select a menu item or hud however I know the pad is being used as a pause button but maybe if you press the map button instead of the map you get the housing menu which can be navigated using the D-Pad so long as your not crafting. Press X on the selected NPC, the menu fades out so you can click where to put it and once place the menu fades back in.

To get to the map you just press the map button again. Pretty simple right?

Sorry for the wall of text but dude I had to let that out... Its been bothering me for a long time.

Hey man, that's why I made this thread. The more people I get making valid points (like you) and offering great suggestions (also you) the better the chances of seeing some of these changes made. The transparent inventory screen I suggested as well. Being pulled out of the action to craft and access the inventory does create a specific problem. Appearently, according to Nike Leon (a moderator), GUI changes are some of the hardest things to code. I really don't think it would be that hard. You would think changes to the GUI wouldn't be that hard to make and once they are made, wouldn't need a lot of testing to implement. Hopefully 505 games listens to us and we see these changes. I think we have waited long enough, especially considering I paid double for Terraria on my ps4 than what it costs for pc. Where did all that extra money go? I would like to think it went to having at least all the features from pc Terraria. Again, wall of text is totally fine. You made some great points and I appreciate you taking the time to post them. Keep them coming.
Addition- Nike Leon said "GUI's can easily be one of the most complex parts of a system" not specifically that GUIs are some of the hardest things to code. Sorry, should have quoted instead of paraphrasing.

Last edited:
I know you want them to do away with cross play but after all they've gone through to implement that I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future. The fact remains that the changes you are asking for (except maybe a more transparent GUI) are not feasible on PS3 and Vita so they're likely not going to happen.

@StarXStone You seem to be forgetting that the D-pad is used for quick selecting items from your inventory.

Hey man, that's why I made this thread. The more people I get making valid points (like you) and offering great suggestions (also you) the better the chances of seeing some of these changes made. The transparent inventory screen I suggested as well. Being pulled out of the action to craft and access the inventory does create a specific problem. Appearently, according to Nike Leon (a moderator), GUI changes are some of the hardest things to code. I really don't think it would be that hard. You would think changes to the GUI wouldn't be that hard to make and once they are made, wouldn't need a lot of testing to implement. Hopefully 505 games listens to us and we see these changes. I think we have waited long enough, especially considering I paid double for Terraria on my ps4 than what it costs for pc. Where did all that extra money go? I would like to think it went to having at least all the features from pc Terraria. Again, wall of text is totally fine. You made some great points and I appreciate you taking the time to post them. Keep them coming.

Lol its not hard to make a GUI like Nike is saying its just a pain in the :red: when you already have one implemented and its been in since the beginning of the dev. So game devs tend to run with it instead of change it. Sorry Nike but its true GUI's are not hard at all to make especially for Terraria. Look at Skyrim they have a million GUI mods made by people just like you and me and that games code source before you say it is different but not to the point where its "hard".

Whats hard is being able to play this game as it stands with a blanket screen that freezes the player and also disallows them to see whats happening.

And as I stated before Nike "the D-pad being used as a hotbar is stupid, get rid of it." If they did away with it we could use it to navigate a better smaller more free crafting GUI that doesn't require us to be frozen in place. In fact I'm willing to bet making this GUI would take less time then the time it took to make the GUI they currently have.

Terraria is fun and allows for creative freedom, I don't see why if we pay extra for consoles we have to be restricted and bound in place.

If 505 games decides to not update ever because of cross play, there will be some very upset Terraria owners. We paid DOUBLE for the Ps4 version and fifty percent more for the PS3. Where is all that extra money going to? The problem is that Terraria on consoles should be cross buy, not cross play. The first would have meant a lot more to those that already owned it. What's going to happen when the rest of the updates go out without at least the inventory space. Way more items, less space. Defending 505 games on this issue just says that you either don't like the game as it was meant to be played or you like shelling out hard earned money for a game that is missing key features. Can you not agree, at least, console owners deserve to have the content we paid for? Wether or not it is feasible really isn't the issue. I agree with every point Starxstone made and once again reason and logic are repelled by excuses. If 505 games continues to sell Terraria, there should be a big disclaimer warning future customers about the game they are really buying. I enjoy my Ps4 Terraria despite its shortcomings but that doesn't mean we don't deserve the game, that people a lot better at game design than us (Re-Logic), designed. If anything, a poll should be taken among console owners. Cross play or finished product.

Lol its not hard to make a GUI like Nike is saying its just a pain in the :red: when you already have one implemented and its been in since the beginning of the dev. So game devs tend to run with it instead of change it. Sorry Nike but its true GUI's are not hard at all to make especially for Terraria. Look at Skyrim they have a million GUI mods made by people just like you and me and that games code source before you say it is different but not to the point where its "hard".

Whats hard is being able to play this game as it stands with a blanket screen that freezes the player and also disallows them to see whats happening.

And as I stated before Nike "the D-pad being used as a hotbar is stupid, get rid of it." If they did away with it we could use it to navigate a better smaller more free crafting GUI that doesn't require us to be frozen in place. In fact I'm willing to bet making this GUI would take less time then the time it took to make the GUI they currently have.

Terraria is fun and allows for creative freedom, I don't see why if we pay extra for consoles we have to be restricted and bound in place.
Deadonarrival actually misquoted me
From my little experience with coding I know that GUIs can easily be one of the most complex parts of a system so I highly doubt completely revamping it like you've suggested would be anywhere near simple.
I'm not familiar with the GUI mods for Skyrim sorry, but while giving a gui a different style is pretty simple entirely rewriting it's workings isn't.

Considering the consoles don't have hotkeys like PC does, I find the idea of throwing out the D-pad as a hotkey use to be a very bad idea. Trying to switch between 10 different hotbar items with only RB and LB would be a chore, we don't even have the scroll wheel that PC has.

The biggest problems with both of your arguments is that your asking for things from console that PC Terraria has. When 505 first ported Terraria it was only 1.1, Terraria has undergone massive changes since then and 505 has ported what they've promised to. They never promised a new GUI for next gen, actually, they promised cross play with last gen. This means using the old GUI. You guys are saying you're not getting what you paid for, the thing is, 505 has delivered on what they've promised (except for some bugs, but bugs happen). Consoles simply can't run PC Terraria the way it is, this means it had to be reinvented for the controller system and for last gens hardware restrictions. Whether cross-play is better than cross-buy was up to 505 to decide and they decided the former, can't say I agree with it but that's what they chose. When you bought console version this is what you were buying, you weren't buying the PC version, you were buying the console version as 505 has decided to port it. By maintaining cross play they've chosen the harder path of continuing updates for all consoles. If they wanted to reinvent Terraria again for next gen than they likely would of just abandoned last gen. They already have to recode Terraria for 5 different systems (Vita, PS3, PS4, X 360, X1), having two of those systems get a massive GUI overhaul would be a lot of strain and make the updating process even more difficult.

I'm not saying your guys wants are invalid by any means, but it seems that you're frustrations aren't looking at the facts. You didn't have to buy console Terraria at all, it was a choice. You're upset that it doesn't have every feature of PC Terraria, 505 never promised it would. You seem to be blaming 505 for not delivering things that they never said they would deliver.

Not to be the devil's advocate, but you already have the content you paid for, which would be Terraria as it was released. You are not entitled in any way, shape or form to get free updates (on any platform for that matter). Be thankful that you do. As far as I know the shop description of Terraria does not state "includes free updates for life". Not that I don't get where you are coming from, because I do, but seeing as how many people seem to think they deserve to get every game Re-Logic will ever put out in the future till the end of time because they bought Terraria tells me that entitlement should be kept in check a little bit more.

That being said, I doubt like some other people have said as well, that Cross-Play will be dropped any time soon since it is a huge selling point. The D-Pad for hot bar selection is nog going to go away either, are you kidding me? I use that non-stop, it is probably the best feature we added :) I have my main weapon, my drax, torches and a hamaxe always set and switch probably 20 times a minute. So does everybody else I know.

In regards to the UI, there are plusses and minusses to either system...I personally thought the PC crafting UI was the worst UI ever till Red added the little block that shows you everything you can craft. In any case, you will have to convince 505 to put a ton of money into revamping the GUI since even though a "GUI is so easy to make" (did you ever make one?) with the hard coded nature of Terraria, nothing is easy to change...it's not like all the crafting recipes and items are in a nice database or anything (they are not)....creating the original console UI took months.

Oh and @StarXStone : you make some really good points and good suggestions, but I do want to add that "go get glasses then" is not an attitude that we can permit ourselves as game designers. Nor is it a very good attitude in general. We get more complaints about everything being too small on next-gen than anything else.

Out of everything, I like the idea of a transparency option for the whole UI and I have always liked @StarXStone 's suggestion to have multiple sizes for next-gen. Unfortunately that is not as easy as it sounds, since you have to redraw *everything* to look right in a smaller size (they are pixel graphics, scaling would look stupid), then you have to reposition *everything* on your screen etc. etc. I still would love to do that though, so I guess it goes on my suggestion list :)

You're right, Mr Rudi. We don't have a right to anything beyond what we bought. I sure won't hold 505 to the same update paradigm that Re-Logic has delivered on. I suppose I shouldn't care about buying the game twice on two different consoles and having it fall short of the pc version. None of us are entitled to anything beyond 1.2. The costs paid to own Terraria on the console are higher and in a perfect world, paying more would net you more (in terms of content). I am not going to speak to how much work 505 has done and whether or not the higher price is justified. For all I know, porting the game to consoles was more work than anything done for the pc. These are all just suggestions. I am going on the assumption that 505 games wanted to deliver more, faster, which they basically said in a recent post. Being a paying customer, I will say that holding back next gen versions to hold on to cross play, is in my humble opinion, a mistake. Which generation will carry Terraria forward a decade? Not last gen. Simple as that. Hopefully someone at 505 games reads these suggestions and at least gives them some thought. I have done my best to make valid arguements and not being a programmer definetly hinders me on some fronts, but not all. Beyond this post, I leave it to the gods. If this stuff is implemented, great. If not, I always got Terraria for the pc. I nonetheless love playing it on console. It seems the more pure version to me. I just would like to see it become as good as I know it can be. All these suggestions, believe it or not, are not for my own selfish gain but for the gain of everyone else. And to be clear, I never suggested removing the d pad hot keys. What a god awful mess that would be. Not to lessen other suggestions Starxstone made. Thanks for the attention to this thread, MrRudi. Whether in agreement or not, I appreciate someone official looking this thread over.

So here's my response cause I'm loving the energy and the feedback of everyone in the group.

1st I want to say sorry about the glasses thing maybe it's because I own a huge t.v. but I do think being able to rescale menus would be nice.

2nd I did used to program small games and worked a bit with XBN and unity as well as C + +. (I know big woop pfft ). But no I never personally made a GUI

So I know there's not a lot of room to talk about that aspect especially if there's a different engine entirely for the console but I will say this.

Maybe there's something we can work out with the D pad where if you click on a workshop then the d pad is used to navigate. Or you could have the touch pad as a scroll however I really dislike that idea do to more work and a more annoying result especially considering I'd like the idea to transfer to other consoles as well.

In all honesty it would look nice to see the pc gui in place of the console. I understand you might not like the idea but it would play a lot better in favor for players used to the PC version who want to get into the console.

If anything that GUI menu is perfect for mobile bc it pauses the game, it is touch and drop, and it's easier to play do to the limit of controls on tablets and phones.

At least for next gen we could get a nicer flow due to the amazing power of these two systems. Maybe a cool voice command feature for crafting like "open craft" "craft wood platform" or "open chest" "take gold". Obviously that means you would have to program the commands in game if not already added and also use speech to text with an enter automatically assigned but I'm literally just spit balling here.

I just want to see the game have a certain flow and not be a turn off for players of next Gen console. I want to see 505 and re-logic get some money and there's a lot of input I keep seeing about the current GUI in place.

There's also a lot of complaints about cross play and I know that's a Major selling point as well and by no means am I stating turn those pleas down for my idea! Like I said I fully support the team but I'm also coming into this post as a long time fan and a free suggestion to think about.

Also I want to state in no way am I mad or upset. I know you can't tell in text. But I get really passionate when I explain and debate so sorry if I come off as a jerk. I'm actually a really sweet dude, ask my wife or friends. Hell ask the homeless dude on the way to work he probably knows me Lol.

#sorry again for that mountain of text...

Well said. A lot could be done with Terraria in the future. The voice commands idea sounds cool. I have mentioned this before but what about using the touch pad to scroll the hotbar. It takes two fingers to zoom in and out so why not swipe up and down with your thumb to scroll the hotbar. Could also use the touchpad to navigate the inventory and crafting menus. I know the lack of a touchpad on any other console wouldn't really make it feasible, but could be a cool addition. Again, Starxstone makes a good point. The crafting menu and inventory seem better tailored to tablet play. I understand the need for continuity throughout each version but each version really needs tweaks that tailor play to each console.

I mean I'm not saying voice command should be added I'm just looking at a better way to craft while you are on the go. I hate it when I'm exploring underground and I'm trying to craft a touch then I get bumped off the cliff into a pit of lava "which has happened" and I know you can use the argument that I should have mounted myself with a grappling hook or found a better spot to craft but the PS4 and XBox One is a powerful system that can be relentless at spawning monsters which can be easy for you if you have a full set armor high tier weapons and equipment but for people who are just starting the game it can be nerve wracking.

And I want to touch on this topic that Rudi made about free updates but not for to long.

Yes your correct, I bought the game as is and I'm not entitled to free updates of any kind, hell you could put a monthly subscription fee on it for future updates. But I know 505 (no not personally but it feels like it in a way), would never charge for new updates. One, your fanbase would be pissed and demand refunds even though it wouldn't violate any of your rights in the disclaimer at least not to my understanding. Two, not to kiss butt however 505 you are an amazing company, you've introduced a new spin to an already beloved game and is why I was more then willing to spend the 20 bucks to support the development on PS4 as well as earn a few snacks into the 505 office.

But 20 bucks, 15 bucks, $2 dollar sell, or 50/m subscription, I simply want to see this game get money, get better reviews and feedback, and offer something people would be willing to spend that much money for. New features, new tweaks, and new events as your already implementing. Not to get to personal but I have friends that spend time with their kids playing Terraria, I heard a rumor that there's a high school art teacher that got their kids into Terraria (not confirmed story just a rumor I heard), I myself loved manipulating water to make a "Bioshock" themed Atlantis or I guess you could say Rapture. It's the best way for people who love games but suck at painting (not me I'm actually a landscape oil painter *snore*) to get their create on! Now enough butt kissing.

The last thing I want to say about the GUI and I'll gladly shut up unless you direct me or want me to speak my mind on it is that I'm not sure what exactly makes a redesign of the GUI a ton of money, you obviously have a lot more knowledge on behind the scenes then I do but there's an old saying that states "If you build it they will come" Another saying is "if the neighborhood has a lot of broken windows then it tends to become slums". Now don't misread that, I'm simply saying if you decide the current version of the game on PS4 should remain how it is with less content, no patches, and no updates your going to attract the flame brigade and soon pours in this crowd of PS4 version sucks and no cross play that no one wants to really hear especially you Mr Rudi unless your into that... Where as you do try to implement key changes like this and make the time, resources, and efforts to fully supply the next gen console Terraria I'm willing to bet my 20 dollars I spent that people start thinking about that purchase due to your response to the consumer but I mean come on I know I don't need to tell you that. Pfft I'm just hoping you like the idea's if I can help in any way as well as make you either laugh or enjoy my statements.
(hopefully not in a "Wow this guy" type of way) I swear I'm a super nice person!!!

I enjoyed that. You know your stuff and if anything else, it was a good read. If 505 games wants to continue to sell Terraria, updates are needed. Soon the market is going to be flooded with games like Terraria. Starbound, No Mans Sky and many others. To stay ahead of the game, Terraria is going to have to keep offering a fresh experience. And what keeps things fresh? Deodorant and updates. Let's hope they apply the latter. I personally would pay for a beefy update. If it has to be paid DLC, then so be it. I understand that updates take a lot of work. People work for money. If it's any consolation, Starxstone. I think your a super nice person. Attract the flame brigade, that's funny.

Oh haha Starbound isnt going to ever port. Not only because they are dishonest and they have ripped off a lot of people, as well as use nightly builds as an excuse for "working on the game", but they have even gone on record to say they won't ever port to any system except PC. But thats a bit off topic and you will see me mad when talking about Chucklefish. No Mans Sky personally in my opinion looks like its just an exploration sim not a crafting terraforming game. Not saying it won't be cool but they will have to compete with Star Citizen which is already shaping up to be a huge space sim game. Basically the Garry's Mod of space sort of. This too is off topic but I digress. I don't mind waiting at all I just kept hearing people say the next gen won't be getting an update, that the GUI and the Cross-Play/Cross-Install is unfair or not implemented which I know is in high demand.

The only thing I want to take from here is any help with ideas that I can share, feedback on said ideas, and a friendly debate on said feedback.

I will need some more time to read through the new posts and give some feedback on them but I did want to say I am very happy with the replies and the mindfulness of them. Keep it going guys :)

Yeah, I know I shouldn't have even said the "S" word. I was on the steam forums, like a lot of other people. I won't get into specifics but unless they have come out and otherwise stated, they are planning on bringing "S" to Ps4. And really, No Mans Sky a space exploration sim? Come on, Starxstone. While there probably wont be mining and building like in Terraria, that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be some way to mine and build. It's in the late stages of development. While the scope of the game is bold and ambitious, unless they otherwise state, let's just assume it will share similarities with Terraria (like they said it would). Space exploration sim, you kill me.

Last edited:
Totally off topic and not the promised reply that I will hopefully still get to later: No Man's Sky for me was game of the show at last years E3. Really anxious to play that game. Actually a lot more than Star Citizen.

Back
Top Bottom