Single Thread RP TCF MAFIA #1 [SETUP]

Mafia is a social interaction game concerning the struggle of two teams - The Town, and the Mafia. The town outnumbers the mafia, but the mafia are hidden in the ranks of the townies - can the town root out the mafia among them before the mafia kills them all?

The entirety of this mafia game will be taking place on the TCF. There might be more in the future.
Please read all the spoilers below, even if you aren’t a beginner. It will help a lot.
Also, thank you all very much for making this possible, and inspiring me to do this.
I used the rules, guidelines, and how to sign up/setup specifications from Hypixel Mafia 59: xkcd Mafia, and then modified them for this game. Here is the link.

Mafia is a social deduction game with lies, trickery, and deception at its cores. Player's goals may not all but the same, but all must use logic and strategy to succeed. Not all games will follow these guidelines or use the same words, but this is what most games will look like.

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two groups: the informed minority (Mafia) and the uninformed majority (Town). The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia. At the beginning of the game, the game mod will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while the members of the Town will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day and lasts 48 real-life hours. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Execute; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players each get one vote and will cast it on someone they think to be Mafia. The Mafia will typically act and vote as if they were a member of the Town, and may even vote to kill a teammate hoping to confuse the Town. When the Day phase ends, the player with the most votes is executed & removed from the game. The mod reveals their role, and it becomes Night, which lasts 24 hours.

During the Night, no one can talk in the thread. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone. Additionally, all players with night actions get to use actions, such as checking a player's true alignment or protecting a player from death.

A game will usually alternate between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated or the Mafia has killed everyone else, or nothing can stop the Mafia from killing everyone else. At that point, the moderators will announce the winner, and this game of Mafia will come to an end!
1. No matter how intense things might get, this is just a game. Attacking other players for game-related reasons is fine, but nothing should ever be personal. TCF staff will get involved if they have to, and it just makes the game worse for everybody. We're all just trying to have some fun here.

2. All posts should be PG. We use the TCF to run these games, so we do have to respect their rules while playing. Flavours will never be overtly NSFW.

3. Do not discuss the game outside of this thread and any PMs that are a part of it. Talking about game-related stuff in any place not created by a moderator IS cheating and WILL get you modkilled.

4. Secret codes and ciphers made up outside the game is not allowed. Anything made up in this thread or in a PM that I made is fine, but anything made up outside of the thread or PMs falls under rule 3, and will get you modkilled.

5. "Gamethrowing," or intentionally playing to hurt your teammates, is obviously not allowed. If you aren't sure whether or not something would be considered gamethrowing, ask me about it first. Attacking your teammates for strategic reasons IS allowed.

6. During the 24 hour Night phase, you are not allowed to post anything game-related. Banter is fine as long as it isn't excessive. The title will be updated and players will be told when Night is about to start, so, no excuses.

7. Once you die, you are not allowed to post anything that has to do with the game anywhere except the dead chat, including in PMs. You will be tagged in the thread when you die & we will notify you in your PM. Again, no excuses.

8. Do not screenshot or copy/paste anything that is said in private role PMs or private Discord chats. Paraphrasing a message is allowed. Feel free to ask a moderator if you aren't sure whether your message is allowed or not.

9. Try not to abuse loopholes that you may find in the game's mechanics or wording without consulting a moderator first. If you think something's a loophole, feel free to ask and I can confirm.

10. Editing or deleting posts is not allowed. If you didn't mean to say something, you're stuck with it. Correcting a spelling error or something like that is fine so long as you explain the edit that was made.

11. Meet the activity requirements. These are: 5 game-related posts per day (48 hours) If you don't think you can do this, please replace out. Real life problems are more important than mafia problems, but just let us know early so we can replace you since inactivity and modkills ruins the game for everyone.

12. As the moderator, I reserve the right to add, remove or change existing rules if the game calls for it in order to keep the game fun for everyone.
- All groups will have natural daychat without needing Encryptors.

- Roles may repeat.

- Day will last 48 hours. If day has not officially been ended by the mod, discussion may take place but votes placed after the 48 hours will not be counted. Night will last 24 hours, or until all actions are submitted.

- MyLo will be called if the gamestate is such that executing the incorrect player will probably lead to the Mafia gaining majority. LyLo will be called if the gamestate is such that not executing the correct player will probably lead to the Mafia gaining majority.

- To sign up as a player, post "/in" in the thread.
You also either:
a. Allow me to make a conversation with you (this is for your role pm)
or
b. Make a conversation with me yourself (this is for your role pm)
If you cannot do this, you sadly cannot participate

-to sign in as a backup, post /backup in the thread
This will put you in standby, in order of who posted /backup first. If someone has to leave, or there aren’t enough players, backups will be called in order of appearance to participate

- To vote for someone, do [/vote]name[vote]
Do not tag them in the vote.
Example: [/vote]AverageAnimalAppreciator[vote], not [/vote]@AverageAnimalAppreciator[vote]
You cannot vote for 2 people at the same time, unless I or your role says you can.
You may [/unvote]name[unvote] to stop voting for a person, but you don’t have to. Only your most recent vote counts for the vote count.

- Modkilled players will not be included in the winning team, purely out of spite.

- I died to this day 2 clause: All flips are accurate and cannot be manipulated. No jesters (if they die everyone else loses and they win). I will never lie to you. No unannounced modposters, either, so you can always trust that what I post is real. In general, the answer to the question "Is <role> possible in this setup?" is "yes".
Hello
This is a guide for some newer players playing this game

First thing I have to say is this game requires a lot of reading. Like a lot.
Some games I played before had over 200 pages of relevant information (don’t worry, it won’t get that big here). Just be prepared to read a lot, and to be confused a lot. These games also take 1-2 weeks on average, so make sure you are prepared to be here. Finally, please be here. This was said in another section of this post (Rules), but I feel like it’s important enough to have to say it again. Not being here ruins the fun for everyone involved, so if you can’t be here, replace out. Nobody will judge you for leaving for more important, real life things.

I will be going over some of the key points of this game, and some of the terminology you might encounter while playing. Some people have been doing this for a while and will know more, but don’t feel bad about not knowing. This is your first time playing, and you will make mistakes. But you’re learning, and it’s ok to make mistakes. Remember: It’s just a game.

Anyway, onto the guide

Roles
Roles are given to players randomly. They allow you to do certain actions usually during the night. There won’t be any daytime actions in this game, and some people won’t have roles, but even if you don’t have a role, it’s still good to know what they do.
Here are some examples of roles

Town One-Shot Vigilante
The person with this role, as a vigilante, are able to kill someone during the night as they see fit. However, they can only do this on one night, as shown by the One-Shot part of their role. If this said Two-Shot instead, they could do this twice. However, they couldn’t kill 2 people on the same night. Killing actions happen last, so if anything were to happen that prevented this kill, then the shot would be used, and the person targeted for the kill would still be alive. If 2 people target the same person with a killing role, then that person doesn’t “die twice”. They just die, and I might put a funny flavor message in their role pm to express that.

Mafia Roleblocker
The person with this role could stop the action of another person with a role. This role, in this situation, doesn’t have any “Shots”, so it can be used every night. Here is an example of how the role works:
Player 1 targets Player 2 with a kill
Player 3 targets Player 1 with a roleblock
Player 2, when day starts, is alive
Player 1 receives a message either saying “You have been roleblocked” or “The kill has failed”

Town 2-Shot Doctor Bus Driver
This role has 2 parts. A Doctor can target someone (including themselves), and one kill that would be attempted to be made on the target would be prevented. If 2 people were going to kill the same person with 1 Doctor protecting them, the person would still die. You would be notified if the person is protected by you. In this case, the 2-Shot part of the role would only apply to the doctor, not the bus driver.
The second part of the role is the Bus Driver role. This role allows you to switch who is targeted by something. Example
Player 1 attempts to kill Player 2
Player 3 attempts to save Player 4
Player 5 (bus driver) targets Players 2 and 4
Player 4 dies and player 2 is saved (from nothing)
I hope that helps explain the role.
Both people targeted by the bus driver don’t have to be targeted by someone else.
Also, another thing about this scenario. You couldn’t use both parts of the role on the same day.

Here is the website I use for roles: here
Use it if you ever get confused, or just ask me through your role pm.

That’s enough about roles, it’s time for…

Terminology

There are some abbreviations we use to help explain things easier.
Here are some of the ones I remember:

Town: good guys

Mafia/Scum/Wolf: bad guys

WIFOM (Whine in Front of Me): Saying “I am mafia”. You could be mafia because you are saying that, or you could be town and trying to get the mafia somehow.

TWTBAW (Too Wolfy to be a Wolf): It’s when someone is acting too much like mafia on purpose, so one would think that they couldn’t be mafia

ISO: Every single post someone has made, and commenting on wether or not those posts are bad or good

MyLo and LyLo definitions are in the “Setup Specifications/How to Sign Up” spoiler

Hammer: When more than half the people in the game are voting for the same person, the day immediately ends and that person is killed.

Role PM/pm: the private chat that I send your role in. You may ask questions in your role pm, and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Reads: Thoughts about who is mafia and who is town. These can be early, mid, or late game.

VC (Vote Count): the current summation of the votes. The person with the most at the end of the day gets executed. If there is a tie, whoever had that number of votes for longer gets eliminated.

Rb: roleblock
Nk: nightkill

Those are the only ones I can remember (I feel like I’m messing up so many of these definitions)

I don’t really know where to put this, but people should turn off their statuses. This is to prevent “meta-gaming”. People in the mafia have their own private chat that they will be talking in. If people see that 2 or 3 people are often in private conversations while also being on the thread, they could infer that those 2 or 3 people are mafia, kill them, and win. If they are wrong, then the mafia basically wins. That doesn’t sound fun, so if you are playing (even if you aren’t mafia), please turn off your status, or at least your current activity status for the duration of this game.

One final thing. I know that a lot of people like to use OC’s to talk on the TCF, like me for example (i u-usually message l-like this). However, sometimes, using text colors or different fonts, or speaking in a say that is different from the norm is making it difficult for others to read. So, if you believe you are making it more difficult for others to understand you, please refrain from doing so. Thank you.

The order in which actions are resolved. Actions higher on the list cannot be affected by those that happen below them on this list.

All of the actions on this list don’t have to all happen, this is just the order in which they would occur if they were to happen.

[Most day actions are processed as soon as they are received by the mod.]
Day ends and twilight begins.
All other day actions
Execution occurs
Night starts
Commuters commute
Reflexives go on alert
Hiders hide
All redirections occur
All roleblocks occur
All jailings occur
All rolestops occur
All protections happen
All kills happen
All investigations and miscellaneous actions happen
Day starts

(So, uh, not entirely sure where to ask this, so I'll just put this here for now instead.
I would quite like to be able to join, but unfortunately I could only meet the activity requirements for about eight days, as on the seventh of August I'm leaving for the week and will be without internet. From what I could tell from most of the rules, that unfortunately means I wouldn't be able to be active long enough to participate here. That leaves me with two questions. 1: Do you agree that I should avoid joining because I have to leave, and 2: After the first game ends, do you plan on having a second round? As after that week without internet I don't have anything scheduled that would leave me without access to the forums for that long.)

(So, uh, not entirely sure where to ask this, so I'll just put this here for now instead.
I would quite like to be able to join, but unfortunately I could only meet the activity requirements for about eight days, as on the seventh of August I'm leaving for the week and will be without internet. From what I could tell from most of the rules, that unfortunately means I wouldn't be able to be active long enough to participate here. That leaves me with two questions. 1: Do you agree that I should avoid joining because I have to leave, and 2: After the first game ends, do you plan on having a second round? As after that week without internet I don't have anything scheduled that would leave me without access to the forums for that long.)
1. I don't believe you should join. Real life things are more important than this game of mafia.
2. I would love to have a second round after this, but it wouldn't be immediately after this one finished.

Actually, now that I think about it, I actually might not play or I might just spectate. You probably might want to replace me.

Was this still a thing that was happening? Or were we waiting for more playeres?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom