PC Terraria is too hard

Does Terraria need an easy mode?

• Total voters
Eh, I beg to differ on this.

Some people want and can handle ridiculous difficulty. Others cannot.

The BEST games offer customizable difficulty. Terraria has that to some extent (Normal/Expert), but I will agree that even Normal Moon Lord can be difficult for some players to do without cheesing like teleporting to the Nurse constantly.

I say this, as a player who has gotten to where I can kill ML rather reliably without using terrain or the Nurse, but yet I find the fight is drawn out and errors are too costly, and margin for error is rather low (one single deathray can outright kill you straight up if you get hit three times with it, even with tanky armor, and sometimes you have something stupid happen like running into terrain while trying to dodge stuff like that).

I was never a fan of bosses that allow zero room for mistakes, or have insta-death situations if but the slightest thing goes wrong. Doubly so if it happens to be RNG (such as a boss that does status effects and picks the exact wrong moment to lock a healer down for example).

Anyhow, I do not think the entire game needs to be made easier. Terraria already is easy clear up until the Moon Lord. Everything except the Moon Lord.. well ok, Duke Fishron too, can be cheesed in some way, and even ML himself can be cheesed if you want to do that.

I think merely tweaking ML to make him a little more accessible, and a bit less grindy would be nice too. No, I don't want to kill him some 50 times to make all of my stuff, thanks.

And uh, @Argonwolf : No offense, but.... mechs? I'm just gonna leave this here (skip to about 2:10 because I suck at video editing and OBS was NOT behaving that day):

I am NOT a Pro Player. I'm not even Expert material. I don't even play Expert. The above video is NORMAL, and I am using absolutely nothing that is beyond the Mech Tier. I'm not using Moon Lord equipment or anything cheesy like that, I'm not cheesing the environment, in fact, in the video I FORGOT TO DRINK BUFF POTIONS during the first 75% of the fight, lol.

No buffs.

No weapons, armor, or accessories that cannot be gotten normally before that point. The only "hard" thing I did was get a Daedalus Stormbow. And that's not that hard to do, if you use a Yo-Yo and find a bunch of terrain to keep weaving around while you fight the mimic.

EDIT: Will also point out that the end of the fight (the Achievement popup) proves this is the first time I won the fight and indeed the first time I even attempted it. I was winging it, playing it by ear, whatever phrase you wish to use to describe it.

I guess ultimately I wish it could be a bit more tactical and a bit less RPG. Perhaps it's just the kind of game I like (I am in love with Terraria, don't get me wrong, it's just one small part of the game that aggravates me), but I'd rather be able to dodge and take cover without getting no-clip murdered by something that has no concept of "solid matter" instead of relying on stat boosts and other aggressively cliche RPG tropes. But like I said, the later bosses are luckily a bit better about this, with many of them having significant portions of their damage output negated by good tactical gameplay. I just needed to rage a little because those mechanical bosses may as well teleport to you they're so bloody fast, and evasive maneuvers are ineffective beyond the necessary "step to one side to avoid Destroyer's head" stuff.

You just need some good wings, and you should be able to dodge MOST of the stuff they throw at you.

They didn't want the bosses to be so easy you could breeze through with zero armor if you simply dodged everything. They wanted defense to actually matter.

But yet if you suck at dodging at least the major stuff, you will probably die if you take too many bad hits.

i used to think that some things are too hard, especially just getting into hardmode and the destroyer, but there are tricks too these things. if you fish up a heck of creates and open them once in hardmode you will get hardmode ores as apposed to pre hardmode ores. for mechanical bosses the right arena (and i dont mean one of those over excessive huge boxes with heart statues everywhere) they are super easy. yes, terraria can be real slow sometimes but thats what's so nice about it. if you dont like that go play another game or a server

I don't really like the tone some people take where they talk down on others for not being "gud enuf" and that they need to "git gud".

But yet at the same time, I do realize that there are people with difficulties that lead to the game being much more difficult. I've had a long conversation in one such thread with a player who has vision problems and finds it very difficult to use weapons that need to be aimed, and/or yo-yos. I was able to talk her through the game and I'm relieved she was able to kill the Moon Lord, but it wasn't easy by any means.

There are many different kinds of people in the world, and some people are better than others at different things. The game, the way it is now, is easy for most, but yet I don't feel that we should be talking smack about them either, just for not being good at a game.

Hopefully, they add something like a Creative Mode that could be used to circumvent some of the game's challenges for people who are having difficulties like the example I mentioned above. While this person was able to eventually do it, not everybody can. I still see threads to this day of some people who can't kill Moon Lord without AFK farms.

I wouldn't be against an optional Easy Mode difficulty, perhaps something like -30% damage taken, +30% damage done. That would be easy to program and would do the job nicely for such people, and it would be optional and it would not hurt anyone.

I don't really like the tone some people take where they talk down on others for not being "gud enuf" and that they need to "git gud".

But yet at the same time, I do realize that there are people with difficulties that lead to the game being much more difficult. I've had a long conversation in one such thread with a player who has vision problems and finds it very difficult to use weapons that need to be aimed, and/or yo-yos. I was able to talk her through the game and I'm relieved she was able to kill the Moon Lord, but it wasn't easy by any means.

There are many different kinds of people in the world, and some people are better than others at different things. The game, the way it is now, is easy for most, but yet I don't feel that we should be talking smack about them either, just for not being good at a game.

Hopefully, they add something like a Creative Mode that could be used to circumvent some of the game's challenges for people who are having difficulties like the example I mentioned above. While this person was able to eventually do it, not everybody can. I still see threads to this day of some people who can't kill Moon Lord without AFK farms.

I wouldn't be against an optional Easy Mode difficulty, perhaps something like -30% damage taken, +30% damage done. That would be easy to program and would do the job nicely for such people, and it would be optional and it would not hurt anyone.
i never thaught of it that way, good thing I wasn't one of those people say "get gud" :) but i really like you -30% taken thing. thats so simple but so smart. it would work great

hardmode , duuh , of course it's going to be hard

"Hardmode" is just a tag that people slapped on Post-WoF back during the days of 1.1 and it just kinda stuck. They didn't know what else to call it, and back during 1.1, there was this really steep jump in difficulty after you killed WoF.

These days, in 1.3, it seems a bit more smooth and balanced, the transition between Pre-WoF and Post-WoF that I don't think the term "Hardmode" should be taken literally. We only use it because that's what we are accustomed to calling it.

It is true that defeating the WoF has ramifications that spread all over the in-game world, but yet should we use that as an excuse to refuse to add extra difficulty options for the entire game? Didn't stop us from doing Expert Mode, did it? If we can do Expert Mode, why not an Easy Mode as I suggested above? It isn't like it would hurt you, or anybody else (unless you found a server using such a map, but then just... don't play on that server if you don't like it) and the coding of such a thing would surely be rather easy to do.

im
"Hardmode" is just a tag that people slapped on Post-WoF back during the days of 1.1 and it just kinda stuck. They didn't know what else to call it, and back during 1.1, there was this really steep jump in difficulty after you killed WoF.

These days, in 1.3, it seems a bit more smooth and balanced, the transition between Pre-WoF and Post-WoF that I don't think the term "Hardmode" should be taken literally. We only use it because that's what we are accustomed to calling it.

It is true that defeating the WoF has ramifications that spread all over the in-game world, but yet should we use that as an excuse to refuse to add extra difficulty options for the entire game? Didn't stop us from doing Expert Mode, did it? If we can do Expert Mode, why not an Easy Mode as I suggested above? It isn't like it would hurt you, or anybody else (unless you found a server using such a map, but then just... don't play on that server if you don't like it) and the coding of such a thing would surely be rather easy to do.
im pretty sure in a steam trading card for terraria it mentions "hardmode". i will try to find the exact card but still, the devs are calling it that too.

well, no sign of it on any trading card. but i was sure i saw it somewhere :/

i just looked through ALL the achievements and the only mention of anything like hardmode is the achievement "its hard" which you get from entering "hardmode"

Last edited:
wait now that i think of it, if we have deemed hardmode post WoF than shouldn't pre WoF be easy mode???

Like I said, it was something that got started in 1.1 and it just "stuck" and now everybody calls it that, and yes, I've seen the term "easymode" being used for Pre-WoF. Not as widely, but I've seen it.

Yea also we can toggle which events are allowed in the world
like only have blood moons as the only event
so people who disagree are just pros and think easy mode will attract more kids

the term pushover, if you didn't know, means "really easy". I am saying that the Wall of flesh is easy, and should never be nerfed.

Back
Top Bottom