Mobile Terraria Mobile - And how my experience went

Pericles_Corde

Terrarian
Greetings

I thought I would leave my thoughts on the new update.

I was definitely excited for the mobile release. I of course preferred to play on my computer considering I am on it most of the day. But especially as of late, I have been out a lot. Hence, I have been playing a ton of Terraria. So today, I have been constantly refreshing the play store. In fact, I was refreshing it almost every 10 minutes or so for about 7 hours straight. Until the long awaited update finally appeared on my phone. With the download quickly done, I headed into the game and was surprised by the sheer amount of changes. I created a new character rather than using my old one, and created a small world as a performance test. The generation too long, although I thought that was pretty normal considering it's still a phone, not a gaming computer. After this was also done, I quickly opened my world.

"Surely this game will run on my phone." - My LG Nexus 5 has ran pretty much every game so far with the exception of one, so I assumed it would run Terraria as well - Or so I thought. All the more disappointing was the actual experience, as expectations were shattered within the first 10 minutes of playing Terraria. I mean I was pretty sure the game would run. A constant and fluid 60 frames per second on the old version, which has now been reduced to a fluctuating 20 - 30 frames per second, or less during busy moments. Well, I didn't let the frame rate stop me and started going ahead and playing for a while.

I definitely like the new UI. It looks much more understandable now, and I knew from the very first minute which button did which. And before I knew it, I found myself into the game. Doing my first combat maneuvers which previously were hard or difficult to do. Things like a grappling hook are also finally more accessible, unlike before. So I can give the game props for this specifically, as good combat, and even better controls are important, especially for mobile experience.

The game however started to become annoying. The lighting was bad and looked ugly, the frames stood at 20 - 30 FPS during non-busy moments, and the quality was already set to lowest. Playing without a background on is certainly not my strongest suit. But I decided to turn it off. The only way I could go to 40 FPS was by turning off the background, and zooming in completely.

So, my final verdict about this update: Initially it is nice, and I will give it a go on the Nox app player just to see the initial game. Although a part of me doubts I will get it to run on Nox due to the sheer amount of UI changes.

I definitely hope for performance fixes. Because it was an amazing game to play on train or bus or generally during longer trips, and I would hate having to let that go.

Regards - Peri

Greetings

I thought I would leave my thoughts on the new update.

I was definitely excited for the mobile release. I of course preferred to play on my computer considering I am on it most of the day. But especially as of late, I have been out a lot. Hence, I have been playing a ton of Terraria. So today, I have been constantly refreshing the play store. In fact, I was refreshing it almost every 10 minutes or so for about 7 hours straight. Until the long awaited update finally appeared on my phone. With the download quickly done, I headed into the game and was surprised by the sheer amount of changes. I created a new character rather than using my old one, and created a small world as a performance test. The generation too long, although I thought that was pretty normal considering it's still a phone, not a gaming computer. After this was also done, I quickly opened my world.

"Surely this game will run on my phone." - My LG Nexus 5 has ran pretty much every game so far with the exception of one, so I assumed it would run Terraria as well - Or so I thought. All the more disappointing was the actual experience, as expectations were shattered within the first 10 minutes of playing Terraria. I mean I was pretty sure the game would run. A constant and fluid 60 frames per second on the old version, which has now been reduced to a fluctuating 20 - 30 frames per second, or less during busy moments. Well, I didn't let the frame rate stop me and started going ahead and playing for a while.

I definitely like the new UI. It looks much more understandable now, and I knew from the very first minute which button did which. And before I knew it, I found myself into the game. Doing my first combat maneuvers which previously were hard or difficult to do. Things like a grappling hook are also finally more accessible, unlike before. So I can give the game props for this specifically, as good combat, and even better controls are important, especially for mobile experience.

The game however started to become annoying. The lighting was bad and looked ugly, the frames stood at 20 - 30 FPS during non-busy moments, and the quality was already set to lowest. Playing without a background on is certainly not my strongest suit. But I decided to turn it off. The only way I could go to 40 FPS was by turning off the background, and zooming in completely.

So, my final verdict about this update: Initially it is nice, and I will give it a go on the Nox app player just to see the initial game. Although a part of me doubts I will get it to run on Nox due to the sheer amount of UI changes.

I definitely hope for performance fixes. Because it was an amazing game to play on train or bus or generally during longer trips, and I would hate having to let that go.

Regards - Peri
Hi Peri and thanks for sharing your viewpoint on the new version. I also found the new UI to be a huge improvement over the old version, and love that there is now a grappling hook stick to use.

I think the lighting looks fun personally - it's the Trippy (or maybe Retro?) version of PC, I believe, as it uses less performance power. I think it's important to remember though that the previous version - while it may have run fine on your device before - was three years ago and devices have come a long way since then. I know that the development team at DR Studios are looking over all the feedback though, and are dedicated to making this version the best it can be.

I am personally more a fan of the smooth variant of lighting. I could likely get used to the retro variant, although this doesn't exactly change the performance. The release is relatively new so I would assume it will get improved eventually. It's just a little frustrating to know the old version ran even on my old Alcatel Pixi 4 at around 30 FPS fluidly, which is the cheapest phone you could get 5 years ago, and now it does not even run on my Nexus 5. It's frustrating to say the least.

I'm sure they will find a way to improve that.

On a different note though, playing on my Nox player right now, and it runs smooth and plays good, although assigning buttons is rather difficult. But well, it's not meant to be played on Nox so yeah.

Back
Top Bottom