Terraria: Otherworld Terraria: Otherworld - An Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, will the independent Terraria: Otherworld site allow Account Migrating from TCF similar to how users from Terraria Online could Migrate their accounts to TCF in the beginning?

All we migrated from TO were account names. We could consider doing something similar, but that is up to @Skiphs magic. ;)

I'm sure we will have more info on those and other logistics when the time comes.

It depends on what they go with. They could make TCF and TOCF two sides of the same site using the same directory and database. Basically you'd have only one account but it could access both sites (so any TCF account would also be a TOCF account). I don't know if Loki caught that I was kind of referencing something like that by wondering if the sites would be parallel.

The other two options would be: the one you described, where your TCF and TOCF accounts would be separate (you could maybe start the TOCF account by migrating), and they would be stored on a separate and independent database; or where you create a separate account and link the accounts together (which, from what Loki said, was something they did discuss but may not likely do).

This is really Skiphs' territory to cover....but it will not be two subsections of the same site (which some other companies have done) - we just don't like that for one...and for two....we need to plan for TOW and beyond - a sustainable plan. So, if I read your note correctly.....it would seem that #2 or #1 would be the possibilities? Again, WAY out of my league tech-wise....@skiphs would have to share his thinking on what works best. :)

This is really Skiphs' territory to cover....but it will not be two subsections of the same site (which some other companies have done) - we just don't like that for one...and for two....we need to plan for TOW and beyond - a sustainable plan. So, if I read your note correctly.....it would seem that #2 or #1 would be the possibilities? Again, WAY out of my league tech-wise....@skiphs would have to share his thinking on what works best. :)
Eh, no worries. I was just wondering how it was gonna be. Thanks for what info you could provide. :dryadhappy:

REALLY hoping this comes out before my classes begin... Don't get me wrong, i like postponing a launch to make sure the game is as good as it can be, but if my classes begin... well, time's gonna be scarce

All we migrated from TO were account names. We could consider doing something similar, but that is up to @Skiphs magic. ;)

I'm sure we will have more info on those and other logistics when the time comes.

Isn't building a forum fairly time consuming? If you plan to build a separate one you already got two other games to plan for not including Other world. The unannounced project and terraria 2. I would love to see seperate forums! From my knowledge it is hard to program one to get multiple accounts active, and many other reasons. If done, all it will mean is that you work harder than most devs in the gaming industry!

Also, I understand if you don't want to answer this but considering you are spending so much time on it, will that mean it will be a full game at launch rather than a game you will update later? Updates meaning new content. (Bug fixes, glitches, ect. not included) I see this as a good stance so you can take a break before moving on to other "Projects" and then crack down on them to get us the next big thing but then again there are good reasons to update a game with new stuff! Let me know, if its something you don't mind sharing :D

Last edited:

Good day, Terrarians!

First of all, we wanted to send along a sincere word of thanks for what was an amazing 2015 for Terraria and Re-Logic! From the excitement of 1.3 to fishing and minecarts reaching mobile/console to the launch of Terraria 3DS and more - what a year it was. Thank you!

Looking ahead into 2016, we have a number of projects on which we are working hard. A number of these are still not ready to be shared, others are ongoing (1.3.1, helping 505 get mobile/console fixed up right, Wii U launch, etc), and one for which we owe you an update - Terraria: Otherworld.

As you may recall, we kicked off last year with the announcement of the development of Terraria: Otherworld - a spin-off game in the Terraria franchise that would seek to incorporate strong elements from the RPG and Tower Defense genres into the open-world sandbox of Terraria in order to craft what we termed "a sandbox with a purpose." Throughout 2015, we shared bits of progress in the way of spoilers with an initial goal of launching by the end of the year. If you missed any of that information, check out the spoiler compendium link below:

As you likely have figured out, Terraria: Otherworld did not make its planned 2015 launch. Simply put, the game is not ready yet - as we laid out in the beginning, we will only launch a game when we feel it meets our standards as a finished product. Terraria: Otherworld hasn't reached that point yet, though very strong progress has been made. The team continues and will continue to work hard in the months ahead to get T: OW to a place where we will be proud to release it to you and it will be worthy of your support and expectations. All we will say at this point is that our goal is to get this done and in your hands during 2016, but we will provide further information and spoilers as we move forward. ;)

Along those lines, we would like to share one of the latest additions to T:OW - swing grappling!

We will also look to get our planned standalone Terraria: Otherworld Community up in the near future, so stay tuned there! :)

We are sure that you will have questions, and we will do our best to answer them in this thread.

Again, we cannot thank you all enough for helping us achieve the success that we have to date - we hope that you understand that this delay is needed in order for us to deliver to you a game worthy of that support.

Cheers!
sp the brain hav a mother ?!?!?

Isn't building a forum fairly time consuming? If you plan to build a separate one you already got two other games to plan for not including Other world. The unannounced project and terraria 2. I would love to see seperate forums! From my knowledge it is hard to program one to get multiple accounts active, and many other reasons. If done, all it will mean is that you work harder than most devs in the gaming industry!

Also, I understand if you don't want to answer this but considering you are spending so much time on it, will that mean it will be a full game at launch rather than a game you will update later? Updates meaning new content. (Bug fixes, glitches, ect. not included) I see this as a good stance so you can take a break before moving on to other "Projects" and then crack down on them to get us the next big thing but then again there are good reasons to update a game with new stuff! Let me know, if its something you don't mind sharing :D

That's why we built TCF with the future in mind....as a template of sorts. So there would always be some "familiarity" while still making each community distinct with its own visuals and "feel"....and doing so efficiently. We also had advance thoughts on how we need to tie things together, but again all of that will have to come later. :)

On your second question: our plan has been to release a "complete" game at launch: meaning a game that feels full and solid as it stands. That does NOT AT ALL mean that we do not also plan to do post-launch updates. Sorry if that is confusing. ;)

Even though Loki pretty much answered it, I wanted to elaborate on it a bit more: yes, we want to release Otherworld as being a solid stand-alone game that delivers on the key points we have announced before, that is fun to play, as bug-free as possible and is a worthy game to carry the Terraria name. We don't want to throw some half-assed ideas in and put it in Early Access to see if any of them stick, we don't want to release a game that has no decently capped progression beyond "well, this is as far as we got". The original game was released before Red actually wanted because it was leaked, this is still something that is bothering him to this day so I think it makes sense he feels strongly about released a finished product and you should read "finished product" as: "if we never update it, it is still a good game". As Loki says, that will not mean we won't release content updates after release as that is something we would still love to do and something you can count on happening (unless we only sell like...17 copies).

Even though Loki pretty much answered it, I wanted to elaborate on it a bit more: yes, we want to release Otherworld as being a solid stand-alone game that delivers on the key points we have announced before, that is fun to play, as bug-free as possible and is a worthy game to carry the Terraria name. We don't want to throw some half-assed ideas in and put it in Early Access to see if any of them stick, we don't want to release a game that has no decently capped progression beyond "well, this is as far as we got". The original game was released before Red actually wanted because it was leaked, this is still something that is bothering him to this day so I think it makes sense he feels strongly about released a finished product and you should read "finished product" as: "if we never update it, it is still a good game". As Loki says, that will not mean we won't release content updates after release as that is something we would still love to do and something you can count on happening (unless we only sell like...17 copies).

Yes, I understand what you and Loki mean. It is like releasing terraria with the updates already installed as the full game and then later adding more updates! I would be bothered if my game was leaked four months into the process like in Reds case but luckily it was beyond good already. That is great to hear that you guys are working hard at it and plan to do more before the next game and so forth! I see a great future for everyone and you developers truly deserve more! I am sure your game will bring popularity to fans and newcomers alike. In the meantime, I will get my whole family in on supporting terraria and this game when we see its launch. Anyway, thanks for answering! I will keep checking up on this thread!

Just as suggestion... With the swing grappling cool and all the original grappling hooks have their advantages as well. Mabye try adding two types grappling hooks?

Very unlikely. Mobile might not be able to handle the graphics of this game. Besides, its only been announced to release on Steam, Xbox one and PS4.

Better to say that "There just has been no statement on the matter". We really don't know, and in 1-2 years, who knows how capable mobile devices will be . . . especially if a mobile port comes well after release. Definitely something to leave as "Unknown" for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom