Biomes & Nature [The Dark Lord's Designs] The Combustion (corruption alternate)

What do you think of the Combustion so far?

• I WANT TO PLAY IT SO BAD!!!

• I think it's kinda cool so far, but I won't support it unless more cool stuff gets added soon.

• Well, it's lame right now, but I think it has potential.

• This has no potential, and will never get out of the hangar, let alone off the runway.

• I am too lazy to have an opinion, but not so lazy I won't vote.

• I support this being made a thing that exists.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The1DarkLord

Skeletron Prime
Torchwood Tree reversed.pngThe CombustionTorchwood Tree.png

(To see its counterpart, the Divine, click this link.)
The
Corruption has chasms of crooked creatures. The Crimson has caverns of creepy crawlies. The Combustion will have crags crawling with crystalline critters.
(No, this is not an above-world underworld. That's what the underworld is for.)
I think it is time for volcanoes. The world has everything else. Why not Volcanoes? Besides, the other evil biomes look cold. This should look HOT.

Summary for People Who Don't Care

VOLCANOES!!!

Grass will hurt you if you stand still.

The wood from this area glows!

Warm rocks!

Firebird boss!!

Fiery armor!

Tune in next time for more awesome!

The Combustion will not have chasms or caverns as its gimmick. It will have volcanoes. They will be 200-400 blocks high, depending on the world size. They will be made primarily of Emberstone. Burning Altars will spawn throughout the Combustion.
Volcano.png
Thin Stone.png
Thin Stone long.png
Thin Stone Left.png
Thin Stone mid.png
Thin Stone Right.png
Thin Stone Tall.png

A new block will form on top of lava in the Combustion when it is in contact with air for more than 4 seconds: Thin Stone. It will be a very dark gray, with veins of bright yellow, and behaves much like thin ice. At the sides, thin stone will simply break if touched at all. When lava touches water in the combustion will form Emberstone.

• Note that the formation of thin stone does not consume lava.
Torchwood Tree.png

The trees will be called Torchwood trees, and will drop Torchwood. It will be blacker than ebonwood or shadewood, and will glow orange at one end.
Torchwood can be crafted into a Torchwood Torch without gel. It will be slightly less bright than a normal torch, and cannot be used underwater.

The stone will be called Emberstone.
Emberstone Block.png
Its tooltip will say "Warm to the touch, but it smells like something awful burnt" Tiled:
Emberstone Block Tiled.png
Tiled wall:
Emberstone Block Tiled wall.png

Emberstone blocks can be crafted into Emberstone Bricks (2 blocks = 1 brick). When standing on Emberstone Bricks, you get a buff called Hotfoot. It makes you run a little faster (not nearly as fast as asphalt. Just a little slower than minecarts).

The grass will be black, and standing still for more than 10 seconds will inflict a weak form of Burning.
Instead of Burning, the debuff will be "Singed." Ends once you start moving. Walking across the grass will kick up a sparse trail of fire particles.

Singed
Inflicts 5 DPS.
Emit fire particles.

The metal ore is Infernium:
Infernium Ore.png
Infernium Ore Tile.png
It emits fire particles.
Four of these will make Infernium Bars.
Infernium Bar.png

The sand in the Combustion will be called SearingSand. It will be a whitish red-orange. Not pink.
The Inferno Armor
Inferno Armour 2.png
Inferno Armour 3.png
Sprites by @TerrorPenguin. I tweaked them and made this:
Inferno Armor.png

Set bonus: Pending
Set effect: Pending

BurnHood.png
BurnHood2.png
/
InfernoHelm.png
InfernoHelm2.png
/
InfernoHelmAlt.png
InfernoHelmAlt2.png

Firebird Helm - 6 defense. Increased healing rate at campfires.
This sprite was uploaded by @SANIC DA HEDHOG:
BurnHood.png
BurnHood2.png
Thanks! It looks really cool!
I like it, so I tweaked it a little. Hope you don't mind.
InfernoHelm.png
InfernoHelm2.png
Also decided to have fun and make a new one.
InfernoHelmAlt.png
InfernoHelmAlt2.png

Which one do you guys like the best? Tell me in the comments below.
15 Infernium Bars
10 Plasma

Flaming Platemail2.png
/
Flaming Platemail.png

Flaming Platemail - 8 defense. Melee attacks inflict Singed for 7 seconds.
25 Infernium Bars
20 Plasma

Rocket Propelled Greaves 2.png
/
Rocket Propelled Greaves.png

Rocket-Propelled Greaves (haha RPGs) - 6 defense. 7% increased jump height and run speed.
20 Infernium Bars
15 Plasma
(I had an amazing idea for a better boss, and I'm very happy about it.
Summoning:
You have to break 3 Mountain Cores in order to awaken The Firebird.

The Firebird

Attack patterns:
Phase I
Egg1.png
Egg_close.png
Egg_Cracked.png

The Firebird is an egg at the beginning (appearing to burst through the floor of the cavern), and when it appears (after you break 3 Mountain cores), the center chamber of the volcano is surrounded by 25 -35 Fire shards. They basically just try to stop you from leaving once the egg appears. At this stage, they are passive while you are in the volcanic chamber, but are invulnerable to attacks. They are not affected by blocks.
The egg has 300 health, and once it is destroyed, the Firebird emerges. At half health, it shows cracks and glows.

Phase II
Firebird.png
(But cooler looking)
In this phase, the Firebird is a bird which primarily hops around on its legs. It will shoot flaming feathers at you in volleys of 5 or 6 feathers at a time (5 damage on hit, 1 dmg per second for 2 seconds after), and all the Fire Shards will start to attack you. They act similarly to the Creepers of the BoC. The strangest part about this boss is that it is affected by blocks, but it can climb walls (like a parrot or macaw). It also bleeds lava. Yep. After hitting it, 1/2 of a block of lava comes out, but this only happens every 3 seconds. This limits it so you don't immediately drown in lava. True, in four seconds it will be covered in (very breakable) blocks, so it's fine, right? The bird has 1800 health and 12 defense. When you get it to 900 health, it enrages.

Phase III
Wrath of Cthulhu.png

It won't be exactly like that, but that's pretty cool looking.
The Firebird will now be untouchable until any remaining Fire Shards are defeated. Once those are gone, you can hit the Firebird. It will have decreased defense: 9. The Firebird will swoop across the arena dropping 10-25 blocks of lava (inversely proportionate to how much health it has left) once and then fly at you three times. In this state, it does 20 damage. It inflicts On Fire! for 1 second.

On death it will drop:
50-120 Infernium Ore
40-55 Plasma
5-15 Lesser healing potion
15% Firebird Mask (vanity)
10% Firebird trophy (basically a fire feather on a trophy board)

Fire Shard
Fire Shard.png

Stats:
Max Life - 100
Defense - 10
Damage - 15
Inflicts On Fire! for 1 second.

Drops:
Plasma - 1-4
Infernium Ore - 3-8
1 Heart - 50% chance

It'll probably get re-balanced if and when the devs add it.
Magma beast.png

Found this online. This is the feel I want for the baddies in the Combustion in hardmode. Note that this is simply thematic, and will not actually be something in the Combustion.
I have decided that the magic for the Combustion will be black with an orange particle effect. Don't make sprites for this please, since I haven't decided what it's function will be. Something fiery, but that's all I know so far.
(I will be adding drawings and updating this or the Divine daily. If someone wants to make those drawings into sprites, it would be much appreciated.)
P.S. Spriting is hard and takes a lot of time. Holy crap. I spent hours on this, and this is all I have.
If you feel inclined to make sprites, there is a sprite-making contest that just started on my other thread (link above).

EDIT: The update and all its pieces are amazing, and i am going to have to work on a lot of new things as i find out about the new parts of the game. It will mean i have to change or add some things to the suggestion. I havent had much time to play or work on these suggestions for the past couple weeks, and i will still be swamped for another week. Sorry for the delay, guys. I really wish i could update this before then.

Last edited:
Damn bro, this is pretty epic!

Here's a few tips:
-When posting a corruption/hallow alt, make sure:
1. You make most of the content ready, and update missing content, to make things easier.
2. It's kinda better to have a corruption and hallow alt as separate threads
3. Have a very good theme behind the biomes (not saying you don't, but just sayin')
-The ore doesn't really have a outline. I see you want the pixels to blend in, but it kinda seems weird for it to not have an outline

Overall, pretty damn epic idea!

If you need any help with sprites, content or balances, just shoot me a PM

I may take you up on the sprites.

CHECK IT OUT! NEW STUFF! Haha

Also, I am posting here as I go so I can get feedback on what ideas people are liking and they aren't. Mostly so I dont go through tons of time and ending up having to scrap stuff I worked hard on.

Seems pretty good so far actually. Someone told me the Lush sounded like my own upcoming idea (the Flourish, which I've been working on since February), but tbh it seems extremely different. Only thing they have in common is the theme of plants. Honestly, nice job.

This is a fantastic suggestion, though I only have one problem with it, Terraria can only support four liquids in the game's code so making a variation of regular lava would be putting that fourth liquid slot to waste. I suggest replacing it with regular lava so there can be a fourth unique liquid.

Whee, an update!
I'm willing to take suggestions fpr Accessories and weapons dropped by the Scorched Eggs. (I'm probably going to rename those, so I'll take suggestions on that too)
[DOUBLEPOST=1433382084,1433381892][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I'll probably scale the egg down or the boss up. One of the two.

Not too bad, I generally like it a lot. Especially the magma. However, vulcans wrath doesn't make much sense... its an egg... a very poorly shaded egg. Not very much to see there. The phoenix thing sounds pretty interesting though.

Yeah.... I really didnt care much about the egg.... I will redo that at some point.

Also.... Vulcan... God of fire.... Volcanoes are named after him....

Just to clarify, the egg is not vulcans wrath. The firebird is. The phoenix. Thing.... Anyway. The egg, which i forgot to mention pushes up in the middle of the chamber refers to the lava dome that sometimes forms in the center of a volcano prior to an eruption.

I was thinking about having the lush refer to Terra the goddess or something. It seems fitting.

Last edited:
Let the double it go when you first made this thread (and I merged your posts together), but that's getting a little extreme.

Please use the EDIT button if you have more to say after a post; under most circumstances, double posts are somewhat frowned upon. And that one is a quadruple post. :(

Back
Top Bottom