Weapons & Equip The Highly Controversial 1.3.6. Life Steal Gun

Should it fart when it misses shots?(1-3) and Name of Gun? (4-7+)(2 votes max)

• Total voters

FoxFire969

Terrarian
Hey all! As the name implies get ready for something you will either love or will get me dragged out of my house and publicly stoned in the streets for even suggesting it! Anyways, with that out of the way let's get to it!

Objective: Add a late game gun, with slow fire rate that rewards you with stacking healing, based on consecutive shots, without missing. Point: Rewards you for being accurate with the mentality of a true marksman and gives rangers a form of sustain they lack as a class in single player walkthroughs.

Idea: Add a new gun crafted from the pre-existing “Sniper Rifle” & “Spectre Bars” and uses them as materials for a gun that heals for every well-placed, consecutive shot, with a stacking regen effect that heals you for an amount of health equal to the number of times you’ve fired without missing and caps at 10 health per shot. (cap is not final) All bullets will be converted into “Soul Bullets” which have high velocity, but no other special properties.

Tooltip: “Fires special, higher velocity bullets that restore health when aimed well”

“Right click to zoom out”

Reasoning: Rangers lack sustain as a class in single player and I think this is one good, balanced way to fix that issue, and only rewards you for accuracy! (Not game breaking if requires 100% skill to use effectively) It is supposed to reward you for playing rangers as intended and further develop skills at being precise & calculated, not spray & pray.

It does not provide burst healing like the Vampire Knives and Spectre Hood, meaning that rangers using this weapon will still have to fight carefully. Chlorophyte Bullets will not work with it for obvious reasons. May have slightly better base stats than precursor.

That is my rationale for why this gun should be part of vanilla Terraria 1.3.6.

Gives rangers more utility, well placed in progression of game, a lot of skill involved, and brings and helps improve you as a player. Anyways, I hope you all love this idea and looking forward to seeing it in 1.3.6 as much as I am.

It will have a similar appearance to the “Phantomshot Rifle” suggested and sprited by @Sprite Anon in this thread: Weapon/Accessory Ideas

pY89Hiu.png

Sadly he is not active so I cannot officially ask for permission to use his sprite, but I do recommend reading the other ideas in his thread!

ATTENTION, this weapon has NO NAME YET! I have very few recommendation currently, and most being humorous, you all are entitled to post a reply of what you think it should be named and only the best ones will be added onto polls with MOST likes. Also, there will be another poll option where you can vote on whether the gun should make a fart sound if you miss a shot.

Anyways, enjoy and see you at the polls!

Sincerely

FoxFire969

Accompanied by -Baconfry / Proofreading & Developing

Last edited:
Soul Searcher: A+

While it has a unique niche as the only ranged weapon that can directly restore your health, it is far more situational than the Vampire Knives and Spectre Hood, which provide spammable burst healing. The Soul Searcher's healing takes a while to build up and is reset when you switch weapons (or miss a shot). This means that you have to commit fully to using it and dealing with its meager DPS. Its damage output is reduced further by the fact that it is not spammable, since you want to maximize your accuracy. Healing 10 health per shot at max stack is still very strong if you can get a rhythm going, but in that sense it is better at solidifying a winning situation than for dragging you out of a losing one. The key to using it is to keep your distance and not to panic; as long as you remain calm and accurate, you can outheal some bruises here and there (but don't be tempted to facetank). Overall, a useful weapon, but its high skillcap means that it may not be for everyone. If you were already good with the Sniper Rifle, then go for it.

Summoners may find this weapon especially useful, since it is effective at a longer range than the Vampire Knives. Note that all bullets lose their effects when used with the Soul Searcher, so if you only care about the healing, use the Endless Musket Pouch.

DPS: 3/5. The Sniper Rifle was never the best gun for DPS, and that's a trait that hasn't changed. Raw DPS is traded for survivability.
Crowd control: 1/5. Because of its tendency to one-shot weaker enemies, it gets better at stacking heals with more targets on the screen. However, it is not very good at actually eliminating those crowds.
Accuracy: 3/5. It is the only gun that cannot use the homing effect of Chlorophyte Bullets, so its accuracy is entirely dependent on your skill.
Disruption: 1/5. Like its predecessor the Sniper Rifle, it is too slow to consistently knock enemies away. Not that it matters because it is more of a bossing weapon.
Safety: 4/5. It's a long-ranged weapon, but you may be able to get more accurate shots if you move closer. How close you're willing to get is up to you.
Availability: 2/5. Crafted from Sniper Rifle, Illegal Gun Parts, Spectre Bar x8.

Best prefix: Unreal $$$

What about this thread? Do you like this one?
I just don't see the need for Ranger to have lifesteal, an effect so good that it made the other classes literally invincible until it was nerfed post 1.2. Although... I do like the idea of an accuracy-based version. Maybe if it was vastly less powerful than the Sniper Rifle I would support it. But as is, the thought of combining this with Palladium armor is terrifying.

The fart noise was my idea in the first place, but if that sounds too crass (can’t blame you for thinking that), it can be replaced either with the glass shattering sound or the dungeon spirit/possessed armor’s death sound.

It doesn’t have to be an upgrade but I don’t think it should be a downgrade. It's DPS was not meant to be very good either way. The sniper rifle doesn’t do much damage per second either, so nerfing the damage may not be needed. It's not optimal to most comparable tiered bosses when you have access to the other fully automatic end-game ranger weapons.

It doesn’t have to be an upgrade but I don’t think it should be a downgrade. It's DPS was not meant to be very good either way. The sniper rifle doesn’t do much damage per second either, so nerfing the damage may not be needed. It's not optimal to most comparable tiered bosses when you have access to the other fully automatic end-game ranger weapons.
Without ranged gear I'm averaging about 500 dps from a short test. With ranged gear I can easily see that increasing to over 1000 due to the massive base damage modifier effects. Hardly something to scoff at.

Without ranged gear I'm averaging about 500 dps from a short test. With ranged gear I can easily see that increasing to over 1000 due to the massive base damage modifier effects. Hardly something to scoff at.
I agree with you, it isn't something to be scoffed at. However, with my damage tests (all critical strike accessories plus all "lucky" modifiers) while stealthed and got ~2000 DPS with the Sniper Rifle. On a single target, good damage, I agree. But, I performed the same exact test using 2 different leveled automatics: Vortex Beater & S.D.M.G. (being the only automatics at this stage of the game) and got ~5000 DPS and 7000+ DPS, respectively. The sniper does not compare to these leveled guns.(See attachments, they are lowest to highest in DPS then shows accessories.)width=897&height=467https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/549453546194731010/549813061133795357/unknown.png?width=897&height=467

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-25_22-39-13.png
    upload_2019-2-25_22-39-13.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
I agree with you, it isn't something to be scoffed at. However, with my damage tests (all critical strike accessories plus all "lucky" modifiers) while stealthed and got ~2000 DPS with the Sniper Rifle. On a single target, good damage, I agree. But, I performed the same exact test using 2 different leveled automatics: Vortex Beater & S.D.M.G. (being the only automatics at this stage of the game) and got ~5000 DPS and 7000+ DPS, respectively. The sniper does not compare to these leveled guns.(See attachments, they are lowest to highest in DPS then shows accessories.)width=897&height=467https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/549453546194731010/549813061133795357/unknown.png?width=897&height=467
Those guns are obtained at a later tier than the Sniper Rifle, that's hardly comparable.

Those guns are obtained at a later tier than the Sniper Rifle, that's hardly comparable.
But we are comparing them nevertheless. And since the Soul Searcher will likely be carried all the way to endgame thanks to its unique effect, why shouldn’t we compare them? The point is that by using the Soul Searcher, you are giving up a significant amount of DPS because you could instead be using a Snowman Cannon or Tsunami or Vortex Beater (all of which can also do crowd control).

I mean, there’s no one right now who would use a Sniper Rifle over most endgame ranged weapons. And even if the Soul Searcher had the exact same stats as the Sniper Rifle, it would be worse offensively because it cannot properly use Chlorophyte Bullets. “Competent but not optimal” is what we’re aiming for, and that’s a description that I think the Sniper Rifle already fits.

My point being: that it isn't capable of taking on Moon lord or the lunar Event, as it is and isn't overpowered, due to DPS. If it were to even receive a slight damage boost as an upgrade it would not negatively affect it. Your correct, that wasn't the best examples. An even closer tiered weapon would be the chain gun. Same test still, it does ~3700 DPS that is still nearly 2X the DPS. A slight damage increase would not hurt it.
unknown.png

I would assume this weapon keeps the same base stats as the sniper, or at least similar stats? There kind of are 4 options here, as for the stats.
1. Upping the damage and dropping the use time
2. Upping the damage and increasing the use time
3. Keeping the same damage and dropping the use time
4. Keeping the same stats

(1) and (3) are fairly similar in the fact that dropping the use time (slightly, maybe in between the base sniper and the musket?) aren't strictly necessary, but will definitely help with the sustain this weapon provides. As it stands, the base sniper's use time will provide a 10 hp at max stacks. The sniper rifle has a use time of 35, so it will normally shoot 2 times a second. Supposing one is a godlike aimbot who lands every shot, we can expect a 20hp heal every second. This is obviously an unrealistic number because nobody can sustain that for long, but it's still a semi-decent number. The dps increase would definitely help the weapon, but it's not strictly necessary either, as one is probably not using it for the dps.

(4) Is honestly a good option, because it gives a good amount of dps while giving a respectable amount of healing.

(2) will decrease the possible sustain given from this weapon. That most likely leaves it somewhat less viable compared to other weapons who aren't handicapped by the unusability of chlorophyte bullets.

I think (1) and (3) are the best options with regards to the stats on the weapon. Oftentimes, boss battles can be made much easier by simply maxing dps and killing it faster than it kills the player so to prevent it from being a horrendously niche weapon (it's lifesteal isn't good enough to keep it as a backup weapon) it needs some advantage.

But we are comparing them nevertheless. And since the Soul Searcher will likely be carried all the way to endgame thanks to its unique effect, why shouldn’t we compare them? The point is that by using the Soul Searcher, you are giving up a significant amount of DPS because you could instead be using a Snowman Cannon or Tsunami or Vortex Beater (all of which can also do crowd control).

I mean, there’s no one right now who would use a Sniper Rifle over most endgame ranged weapons. And even if the Soul Searcher had the exact same stats as the Sniper Rifle, it would be worse offensively because it cannot properly use Chlorophyte Bullets. “Competent but not optimal” is what we’re aiming for, and that’s a description that I think the Sniper Rifle already fits.
I use it because it's A. incredibly awesome and B. convenient for hitting things before they can get even close to you, but admittedly without any real justification beyond that. Unfortunately the DPS gap between Celestial and these weapons is a byproduct of 1.3 (as that other thread a few days ago suggested).

I but admittedly without any real justification beyond that.
what about my post? Chain gun is received through "Naughty Present" which is made from post Plantera dungeon and received at same point as sniper rifle. Post Plantera gear is suppose to help propel your character through the end of the game from: Frost Moon, Golem, Martian Madness, Duke Fishron, Cultist, Celestial Pillars, and Moon Lord. It does a less than adequate job at all of those, why does it bring so little to the table compared to other Post Plantera gear? As much as I adore this gun! It is a one shot on easy mobs as a gimmick, at best and nothing more. Also, both Uzi &Mega Shark are both so nearly comparable that it is REPULSIVE, due to the fact that they can be earned, respectively as soon as hardmode starts and first mechanical boss. Using the same tests again, there DPS are 1,600 & 1,900, respectively. The Piranha Gun goes 1700 and available after Plantera but constant damage, AoE, attaches and homes after first kill. Snowman Cannon & rocket III, Also apart of "Naughty present", this homes and has AoE, has a single target DPS of 3200 and a maximum potential AoE DPS of 70,500 (unlikely, but possible). Now Xenopopper, received through Martian Madness after Golem does nearly 5000 DPS. Now let's compare another shotgun but also found in the Dungeon like the sniper. The tactical shotgun does 3000+ DPS comparable to 2000 and is automatic. IF ANYTHING, not even just "Soul Searcher" needs the damage boost or rework /modification to buff it, but the SNIPER RIFLE in general! Even possibly going all out and making it able to pierce a single enemy in it's' tooltip would make a significant difference by having SOME crowd control and POTIENTIALLY double DPS! And probably should do that so you could potentially get health stacks quicker and possibly heal more. (piercing shot would not count against stacks if you missed it but be a bonus if landed as well, only first landing shot would count against you if missed.) Real world example why I would suggest this modification
If I can shot through a tree with a girth the size of a man and hit a person, I would KNOW I could shoot through one person and hit another. (Links all in order of paragraph.)https://media.discordapp.net/attach...59814096906/unknown.png?width=1287&height=670 https://media.discordapp.net/attach...52901988353/unknown.png?width=1287&height=670 https://media.discordapp.net/attach...91277774858/unknown.png?width=1287&height=670 https://media.discordapp.net/attach...14395695105/unknown.png?width=1287&height=670 https://media.discordapp.net/attach...22395271168/unknown.png?width=1287&height=670 https://media.discordapp.net/attach...61212602378/unknown.png?width=1287&height=670 https://media.discordapp.net/attach...89082826752/unknown.png?width=1287&height=670

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-27_1-8-2.png
    upload_2019-2-27_1-8-2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 170
Back
Top Bottom