NPCs & Enemies The Trapsman... and a whole lot of new trap ideas (Warning: Supermassive Megathread)

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
This is a gigantic multi-part suggestion. Back on TO, it took up the space of two threads, but I'm combining them all into one supermassive trap thread.

For the purposes of this post, the suggestion has been split into three parts, each of which contains enough raw content to warrant its own thread.

Part I: Additions and changes to existing traps.
The goal here is to have a set of standard reusable traps that appear naturally throughout the world. The power and quantity of traps would progress as the player does, starting Underground, which is scattered with a sparse amount of poison-based traps, then advancing to the Dungeon, which would come equipped with a higher density of Fire- and Acid-based traps, and finally to the Lihzahrd Temple, which would be packed tight with deadly Venomous traps.

Underground

Dart_Trap.png

Dart Trap
*Shooter trap
Shoots a poison dart that deals medium-low damage and inflicts Poisoned debuff for 10 seconds. Exists in-game.

poison-trap-png.128560

Poison Trap
*Sprayer trap
Sprays poison similarly to the Flame Trap. Deals low damage. Inflicts Poisoned debuff.

Dungeon

(Sprites courtesy of DakotaSpine.)

<F for the fallen images from TO>
Bolt Trap
*Shooter trap
Shoots a high-velocity bolt that deals medium-high damage. Bolts penetrate once.

<F for the fallen images from TO>
Corrosive Trap
*Sprayer trap
Shoots acid. Deals moderate damage. Inflicts Acid debuff.
No longer a Lihzahrd trap.

acid-traps-png.128558

Acid Trap
*Drop trap
Drops acid that lingers on the floor. Deals medium-low damage. Inflicts Acid debuff.

Lihzahrd Temple

Super_Dart_Trap.png

Super Dart Trap
*Shooter trap
Shoots a venomous dart that does very high damage. Inflicts Venom debuff for 8 seconds.

Flame_Trap.png

Flame Trap
*Spray trap
Unchanged.

Spiky_Ball_Trap.png

Spiky Ball Trap
*Drop trap
Drops bouncing spiky balls that deal high damage.

Spear_Trap.png

Spear Trap
*Spear trap
Launches a retracting spear that does very high damage. Exists in game.
*Hammers should be able to change their launch direction to down, up, left, or right.

Beam Trap
*Miscellaneous trap
Fires a heat beam that has instant velocity and penetrates infinitely. Low damage.

Part II: The Trapsman, purveyor of even more traps.

index.php

Modified version of a sprite by Vladimier.

Town NPC:
The Trapsman

Spawn Requirements:
- The Goblin Army has been defeated.
- Skeletron has been killed.
Will only rarely show up before the Mechanic is freed.​
- At least 2 other bosses have been slain.
- The player has acquired some sort of trap.

Special Function: Reverse Engineer
The Trapsman can take any type of Trap that the player has and Reverse Engineer it. This destroys the item and adds new items to his shop inventory, including a player-friendly "Safe" version of the trap and crafting components related to it. (Specific details about unlocked items are given below.)

Traps only have a chance of being successfully Reverse Engineered, but higher grade traps have a higher success rate. Basic traps have a 10% success rate, Dungeon traps have a 20% rate, and Lihzahrd traps have 50%. Even so, traps will always yield Trap Components (see below) after being Reverse Engineered. Successful attempts will also yield a free sample of the trap's special respective component. (You'll figure it out. Just keep reading.)

This is just meant to be a new and interesting way of unlocking more content.

Shop Inventory:
The Trapsman will sell the following items.

Snare
1 Silver
'Snares enemies in place.'
'Also used for catching Critters.'
A peaceable trap that can snare enemies (including enemy players in PvP) in place for 1-4 seconds. After snaring an enemy, the item is destroyed. Critters caught in Snares will drop as items.

Bear Trap
40 Silver
'Right-click to set the trap.'
A placeable trap that deals high damage when stepped on by anything, enemy or not. After closing, they must be reopened, whether by right-clicking them or using Wires. Two blocks wide.

Spiky Ball
80 Copper
Exists in-game already.
* Sold after the Goblin Army has been defeated.

Safe Dart Trap
1 gold 50 Silver
'More user-friendly than your standard dart trap.'
Deals less damage to players, will not poison them, and will not knock them back.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering some sort of dart trap.

Safe Flame Trap
1 gold 50 Silver
'More user-friendly than your standard flame trap.'
Deals less damage to players, will not knock them back, and will not set players on fire.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering some sort of sprayer trap.

Safe Spiky Ball Trap
1 Gold 50 Silver
'More user-friendly than your standard spiky ball trap.'
Deals less damage to players and will not knock them back.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering some sort of spiky ball trap.

Safe Spear Trap
1 Gold 50 Silver
'More user-friendly than your standard spear trap.'
Deals less damage to players and will not knock them back.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering some sort of spear trap.

Trapsman's Workstation
10 Gold
Placeable crafting station used to craft traps. More details will be included in the other thread.

Trap Components
25 Silver
Used to craft all traps.

Bolt Cartridge
40 Silver
Used to craft Shooter traps.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering a Shooter trap.

Aerosol Injector
40 Silver
Used to craft Sprayer traps.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering a Sprayer trap.

Loading Mechanism
40 Silver
Used to craft Drop traps.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering a Drop trap.

Piston
40 Silver
Used to craft Spear traps.
* Sold after Reverse Engineering a Spear trap.

Part III: New craftable traps and recipes.

Now we've got a bunch of Trap crafting components and we need something to do with them. Of course, you'll be able to craft the standard traps that you find lying around the world, but that's not enough of a reward for an NPC to give you. You will also unlock the capacity to craft unique crafting-exclusive traps so that you can unleash your inner trapsman on the Terraria world. (If you have any ideas, please let me know!)

Aforementioned Traps

Dart_Trap.png

Dart Trap
Recipe:
Stone_Block.png
(5) Stone Blocks
Wooden_Arrow_Horizontal.png
(10) Wooden Arrows
Stinger.png
Stinger
* Trap Components
* Bolt Cartridge

poison-trap-png.128560

Poison Trap
Recipe:
Stone_Block.png
(5) Stone Blocks
Stinger.png
(3) Stingers
* Trap Components
* Aerosol Injector
bolt-traps-png.128552

Bolt Trap
Recipe:
Pink_Brick.png
Blue_Brick.png
Green_Brick.png
(5) Dungeon Bricks
Iron_Bar.png
Iron/Lead Bar
* (2) Trap Components
* Bolt Cartridge

flame-traps-png.128555

Flame Trap

Recipe:
Pink_Brick.png
Blue_Brick.png
Green_Brick.png
(5) Dungeon Bricks
Gel.png
(10) Gel
* (2) Trap Components
* Aerosol Injector

acid-traps-png.128558

Acid Trap

Recipe:
Pink_Brick.png
Blue_Brick.png
Green_Brick.png
(5) Dungeon Bricks
* (3) Acid Cores
* (2) Trap Components
* Loading Mechanism
Super_Dart_Trap.png

Super Dart Trap
Recipe:
Lihzahrd_Brick.png
(5) Lihzahrd Brick
Venom_Arrow_Horizontal.png
(10) Venom Arrows
Vial_of_Venom.png
Vial of Venom
* (3) Trap Components
* Bolt Cartridge

Flame_Trap.png

Flame Trap

Recipe:
Lihzahrd_Brick.png
(5) Lihzahrd Brick
Gel.png
(20) Gel
* (3) Trap Components
* Aerosol Injector

Spiky_Ball_Trap.png

Spiky Ball Trap

Recipe:
Lihzahrd_Brick.png
(5) Lihzahrd Brick
Spiky_Ball.png
(25) Spiky Balls
* (3) Trap Components
* Loading Mechanism

Spear_Trap.png

Spear Trap

Recipe:
Lihzahrd_Brick.png
(5) Lihzahrd Brick
Iron_Bar.png
(10) Iron/Lead Bars
* (3) Trap Components
* Piston

Beam Trap
Recipe:
Lihzahrd_Brick.png
(5) Lihzahrd Brick
Lihzahrd_Power_Cell.png
Lihzahrd Power Cell
* (6) Trap Components

Unique Crafted Traps

Anvil Trap
* Drop trap
Classic gag. Takes up 2 x 2 blocks of space. Drops an Anvil that deals heavy damage and stuns enemies that it lands on. Inflicts Confused for 4 seconds. 5 second cooldown time.
Recipe:
Iron_Bar.png
(10) Iron/Lead Bars
Iron_Anvil.png
(3) Iron/Lead Anvils
* (2) Trap Components
* (2) Loading Mechanisms

Acid Sprayer Trap
* Sprayer trap
Sprays a blast of Acid that deals medium-high damage. Inflicts Acid debuff for 10 seconds.
Recipe:
Iron_Bar.png
(5) Iron/Lead Bars
* (5) Acid Cores
* (2) Trap Components
* Aerosol Injector

Cursed Flame Trap
* Sprayer trap
Sprays a blast of Cursed Flames that deal medium-high damage. Inflicts Cursed Inferno debuff for 7 seconds.
** Poison Traps transform into Cursed Flame Traps when corrupted.
Recipe:
Ebonstone_Block.png
(10) Ebonstone Blocks
Cursed_Flame.png
(5) Cursed Flames
* (2) Trap Components
* Aerosol Injector

Ichor Trap
* Sprayer trap
Sprays a blast of Ichor that deals medium-high damage. Inflicts Ichor debuff for 10 seconds.
** Poison Traps transform into Ichor Traps when contaminated by the Crimson.
Recipe:
Crimstone.png
(10) Crimstone Blocks
Ichor.png
(5) Ichor
* (2) Trap Components
* Aerosol Injector

Autobolter Trap
* Shooter trap
A fully-automatic Steampunk-themed rapid-fire bolt shooter that does medium-low damage. Fires in bursts of 3 with a 1 second cooldown, dealing low damage very rapidly. Toggles between on/off with switches. Fires constantly when a Pressure Plate is being pressed. Fires one burst per tick when activated with a Timer.
Recipe:
Cog.png
(10) Cogs
Iron_Bar.png
(5) Iron/Lead Bars
* (2) Trap Components
* (2) Bolt Cartridges

Grenade Trap
* Drop trap
Drops a grenade that does heavy amounts of damage. You don't want to be under this thing when it does.
Recipe:
Cog.png
(5) Cogs
Explosive_Powder.png
(5) Explosive Powder
Grenade.png
(5) Grenades
* (3) Trap Components
* Loading Mechanism

Harpoon Trap
* Spear trap
Fires a long-ranged high-velocity harpoon connected with a chain when activated which deals heavy damage. The first enemy hit by the harpoon is dragged back with it.
Recipe:
Cog.png
(5) Cogs
Iron_Bar.png
(5) Iron/Lead Bars
Chain.png
(25) Chains
* (4) Trap Components
* Piston

*****All varieties of Spear traps should be able to be pointed in any direction (down, up, left, or right) by using a Hammer*****

First off, congratulations if you actually buckled down and read all of that. If you got this far, please, please let me know what you think! If you have any ideas for more traps, or if you're confused about something, let me know and I'll see what I can do! Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:
Same as Milt69466. Let the temple keep the flames. :)
I say remove the venom trap altogether (so many poison/venom dart traps already) and replace it with a nice lightning bolt or something (for the dungeon), or a bolt of ectoplasm.

The Snare and Bear Trap sound extremely annoying to use.
Snare: Because you'd constantly need to replace it. In Terraria you're constantly bothered by monsters, they'd constantly remove your snares and still proceed to bother you after a few seconds, unharmed.
Bear Trap: Having to manually reset it. Tedious, since the constant stream of monsters would constantly require you to do so. However, if the bear trap would activate and not deactivate by a timer, then that'd solve that I guess. Hopefully a timer would not toggle the trap's state.

Neutral about the 'safe traps'. If it were me they can do full damage. Keeps people on their toes. :)

Other than that, I'd love to see more traps. :)

im honestly fine with traps as they are, i dont really think they need changed at all. nice idea though.

I say remove the venom trap altogether (so many poison/venom dart traps already) and replace it with a nice lightning bolt or something (for the dungeon), or a bolt of ectoplasm.
I chose Venom for the high DoT. What about changing the Dungeon sprayer to an Acid sprayer, and the Lihzarhd one back to fire?

I kind of want to keep the Super Dart Trap inflicting Venom, though, because there is only one enemy in the game that inflicts it.
Snare: Because you'd constantly need to replace it. In Terraria you're constantly bothered by monsters, they'd constantly remove your snares and still proceed to bother you after a few seconds, unharmed.
It's mostly for catching Critters and stray monsters at night. Reduced the price for them, though. :)
Bear Trap: Having to manually reset it. Tedious, since the constant stream of monsters would constantly require you to do so. However, if the bear trap would activate and not deactivate by a timer, then that'd solve that I guess. Hopefully a timer would not toggle the trap's state.
Done. Also reduced their price, just in case.
Neutral about the 'safe traps'. If it were me they can do full damage. Keeps people on their toes. :)
That kind of defeats their purpose though. :p
Other than that, I'd love to see more traps. :)
You're in luck. Look at Cenx's most recent status. ;)

I think in ice caves traps aren't hide very good..
DzuujAE.png
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...tions-and-improvements-to-natural-traps.5198/
;)

Yes. Take all of my love. I LOVE YOU (Not really. I don't, and never would). Great suggestion, I would use the new traps, and be able to make Dart Traps!

A lot of these traps look like they would be fun to play with. The Ichor and Cursed Flames especially. I could see someone setting a trap that blast you with Ichor and leaves you on a pit of spikes upping the damage quite a bit!
I think the acid trap might work better in the Lizarhd temple as it could lower your defenses and keep even an expert player on guard as they would have to explore with cut defenses. It would be cool to also see the occasional Ichor and Cursed trap Spawn in their respective biomes. Perhaps they could replace old dart traps that were left functional and corrupted?

I agree with the other people above me, leave the flames to the Lizhards. Dungeon is more magic/undead/etc themed, so consider building some traps around that...

Also the Ichor/CFlame traps should spawn occasionally in the Crimson and Corruption biomes, respectively.

Also, are all traps endlessly usable or can such as the grenade trap only be activated once (and then refilled?) ?
They're like the Dart Trap... no need to reload. :p

It would be cool to also see the occasional Ichor and Cursed trap Spawn in their respective biomes. Perhaps they could replace old dart traps that were left functional and corrupted?
Well, if Poison Traps are added, then it would make more sense for Cursed/Ichor ones to replace those instead. Good idea, though!

Updated the main post.

They're like the Dart Trap... no need to reload. :p

Well, if Poison Traps are added, then it would make more sense for Cursed/Ichor ones to replace those instead. Good idea, though!

Updated the main post.

Thanks! I glad you liked the core component of my idea! ^^

Add a laser trap to your thread. Works like a heat ray. Found in lizhard temple. Made from 5 lizhard bricks. Illegal gun parts (cost of gun parts reduced to 5 gold). And 1 fallen star. Overall i think this idea MUST be added into the game.

don't like safe traps.
ambivalent about poison traps, dart seems fine for underground
do like the dungeon acid traps(and i liked them in the dungeon thread too)

kinda feel like ice should have a version of the underground traps, although i guess chilled is either powerful or pointless
and yeah, flames for lhizard, acid is good for dungeon since its kinda water themed(at least in easy mode)-ish and acid is kinda waterish ;P

Add a laser trap to your thread. Works like a heat ray. Found in lizhard temple. Made from 5 lizhard bricks. Illegal gun parts (cost of gun parts reduced to 5 gold). And 1 fallen star. Overall i think this idea MUST be added into the game.
I think a Lihzahrd Power Cell would be a better component, no? :cool:

Adding to the main post.

When I thought "bolts", I thought they should pierce through targets. Take that, Mr. I'm-Going-Second!
Why not. Adding...

Back
Top Bottom