Console The Year Ahead & The Community "Takes Control"

Good Day, Terrarians!

Hot on the heels of our official Terraria on Nintendo reveal last week, we wanted to give you an update on our plans for the rest of the console platforms – and then to ask you, the community, for your invaluable input on a change we are looking to make as a part of these updates. So, without further ado, off we go:

kdcROYP.png

CONSOLE TERRARIA CONTENT UPDATE PLANS

Through a variety of issues, we wound up in a situation where the previously-launched “Additions” update did not wind up containing the entirety of Terraria 1.2.3 content. At the same time, we had started work on the next round of content – and, unfortunately, launching post-1.2.3 content into versions of the game that do not already have the full 1.2.3 update would cause all kinds of issues – for us and for you guys!

So, that leaves us at a crossroads of sorts – and here is what we have decided to do:

We will release the content below as one update – currently planned for the 4th Quarter of 2015 (Oct-Dec), though we will provide a more exact date as soon as possible
  • The remainder of the 1.2.3 content
  • Terraria 1.2.4, in its entirety, including (but not limited to):
  • Minecarts
  • Fishing
  • Duke Fishron
  • And much much more!

So, that – coupled with the recent mobile announcements – will mean that all of the existing Terraria console/mobile platforms will be up to the 1.2.4 level by the end of 2015! Nintendo being the exception, as it doesn’t launch until after the new year.

Beyond that, we have started looking into the 1.3 source code, and will share any plans there just as soon as we have them together.

kdcROYP.png

CUSTOM CONTROLS – WE NEED YOU!

As a part of the update later this year, we are looking to add some additional control schemes beyond the default that is currently in the game. These will likely be in the form of various “alternate” control setups that you would select from in the options menu.

That’s where you come in – we have listed the Default (as it exists today) below. We would love to have you – the community – propose your alternatives to us for possible inclusion in the coming update!

To submit your idea,
  • Make a post in this thread with your suggested changes.
  • Please note that we are only altering button configurations and not adding new functionality to the controller itself.
  • Also you MUST note which platform (Xbox/Playstation) you are addressing.

Action | Playstation | Xbox
Use Held Item/Attack|R1|RT
Activate Environment Object|O|B
Inventory| △|Y
Jump| X or L3|A or L3
Quick Buff|□|X
Left-Right-Up-Down Movement|Left Thumbstick|Left Thumbstick
Hotbar Selection|L2+R2|LB+RB
Map|Select|Back
Grapple|L1|LT
Smart Cursor Toggle|R3|Click Right Thumbstick
Use Bound Item|D-Pad|D-Pad
kdcROYP.png

That's it for now! We are very much looking forward to seeing what awesome control scheme ideas you come up with - and to hopefully sharing some spoilers and additional information around the update coming later this year.

Thanks for your support, your feedback, and for everything else you do!
I just cant wait for the update!:joy:

This is kinda ridiculous I mean we've been waiting 2 months and gotten absolutely nothing from 505. An update on the progress of the 1.2.4 update would be good at least put something on the forums. I know it takes a while to implement this stuff but I feel like mobile and 1.3 have been the only real news. I also feel like it doesn't take this long. They said October November or December, so can they give us at least one update on what they are currently doing.

well like I said before. Engine can't say much at the moment. Remember they're under contract so any updates on what they're doing have to be approved before anything can be said. It'd be their heads if they spilled all the beans now without the say so from 505. They'll say something as soon as they can. just have some patience guys.

This is kinda ridiculous I mean we've been waiting 2 months and gotten absolutely nothing from 505. An update on the progress of the 1.2.4 update would be good at least put something on the forums. I know it takes a while to implement this stuff but I feel like mobile and 1.3 have been the only real news. I also feel like it doesn't take this long. They said October November or December, so can they give us at least one update on what they are currently doing.
Would you rather wait for them to give us a good update, or rush it and potentially miss things that could cause irreversible damage to all your hard work?

Would you rather wait for them to give us a good update, or rush it and potentially miss things that could cause irreversible damage to all your hard work?
he's got a very good point, I truly wouldn't want that to happen to me. I'm so at the end that I don't know what to do, well, except for some extreme wiring, and I don't want to redo everything

Let me reassure you; it takes this long. Its easy to say that from the outside looking in, but developing and adapting ports, testing and the QA process can be extremely time intensive, especially for something like mobile, which requires adaptation for multiple device types and OSs. Not to say that there aren't standards and expectations for a timely release, but please don't make the mistake of trivializing the amount of work which is required for a solid and complete update to be released.

Everybody immediately started roasting "die with terraria" after his comment, that was kinda crazy. So let me say this: yes the development process does take a long time and patience is a virtue. However, I do agree that whoever is in charge of giving the nod to post a progress update on this forum, should certainly do that.
Im not talking about the guy that does the post, I mean the boss, HE should definitely sign off on a very quick and brief progress update, in the form of a post on here, that's all. An updated ETA would be nice too, but I can live without it...

I can't wait for the update and I'm not sure if people pay much attention but on the console menu at the bottom it says "ADDI20151105" so I'm gonna assume that the post about the "Additions" update is a clue and it'l be here beginning of November. Either way, I'm excited for the update and I continue to play it regardless of the speed the updates roll out.
The team does fantastic work and people just need to be patient :)

I can't wait for the update and I'm not sure if people pay much attention but on the console menu at the bottom it says "ADDI20151105" so I'm gonna assume that the post about the "Additions" update is a clue and it'l be here beginning of November. Either way, I'm excited for the update and I continue to play it regardless of the speed the updates roll out.
The team does fantastic work and people just need to be patient :)
addI20151105 in not the date it is a build virstion thing

Everybody immediately started roasting "die with terraria" after his comment, that was kinda crazy. So let me say this: yes the development process does take a long time and patience is a virtue. However, I do agree that whoever is in charge of giving the nod to post a progress update on this forum, should certainly do that.
Im not talking about the guy that does the post, I mean the boss, HE should definitely sign off on a very quick and brief progress update, in the form of a post on here, that's all. An updated ETA would be nice too, but I can live without it...

How exactly does one quantify progress? 505 Games could post an update every time they successfully port an item, which would be exciting nor useful nor indicative of how much there has already been ported nor a good use of the developer's time.

Keep in mind that this is a port, not new content (at least the OP indicates as such), which are vastly different development situations. First of all, there is no content to tease (OP again) that hasn't already been released to another platform, so any status updates would have to be purely functional. These functional status updates rather useless to you if you don't have a full scope of what exactly is in the port now, what exactly will be in the update and which content in said update is already done (or in short, useless to virtually everyone), so why would you bother making a status update if it would just look like a petty excuse for more time?

Secondly, when you port something, the update is ready if and only if you actually have ported everything. For a very hypothetical, made-up and in no way directly representative of either the way Re-Logic operates or the way I think Re-Logic operates-instance ("because we don't want to get into the :red: on this one", as a certain bald alcoholic portrayed by Adrian Edmondson once said) , Re-Logic might have had planned a ton more content for 1.3., but when they reached the release date they released 1.3 as it was, and no one would notice the difference. 505 can't do that, because we know exactly what was in update 1.2.4., and if anyone finds anything missing from the port, someone, somewhere, is going to make a point of it.

505 Games doesn't know for sure how long this port is going to take either, so they can't give a proper release date until it's very nearly done, and a status update saying something to the effect of "we need more time, but we don't know how much" isn't helpful to anyone.

as a reply to Nike Leon regardless of whether i have a working controller or not it just makes more sense for the inventory to be navigated using the same method as the chests, safe and piggy bank

also just curious does anyone know the release date of the new update if not id assume that it would be in november or december seeing as how there are only 7 days left

Last edited:
Mounts are currently coded in. (At least the mount summon for the Reindeer Bells, though they don't work and I think that any summons will not work now.)
That's the thing, they added the reindeer bells to the code, but had not added the coding for mounts yet. That's why the bells were unobtainable through regular play and didn't function when hacked in. The update should make mounts functioning :)
regardless of whether i have a working controller or not it just makes more sense for the inventory to be navigated using the same method as the chests, safe and piggy bank

also just curious does anyone know the release date of the new update if not id assume that it would be in november or december seeing as how there are only 7 days left
But I already use the analog stick to navigate all the menus.
No news about specific release date. Based on their initial post it should come out this year, but there's always the possibility of complications.

Naw that just meens remember remember the 5th of November the day terreroa crashes. Lol. I havmt got web so I can't update anyway last one I got was June. I'm just gonna hang it up for awhile nothing to do anymore. I can literally stand still and kill all the boss's in the game with no potions or lanterns. I just get depressed hearing about 1.3 and all the content console versions are missing out on. But hey I won't get rid of the game. For the money its the best game for ps4 I've played and ive played like everything. Its currently the only game I own.

How exactly does one quantify progress? 505 Games could post an update every time they successfully port an item, which would be exciting nor useful nor indicative of how much there has already been ported nor a good use of the developer's time.

Keep in mind that this is a port, not new content (at least the OP indicates as such), which are vastly different development situations. First of all, there is no content to tease (OP again) that hasn't already been released to another platform, so any status updates would have to be purely functional. These functional status updates rather useless to you if you don't have a full scope of what exactly is in the port now, what exactly will be in the update and which content in said update is already done (or in short, useless to virtually everyone), so why would you bother making a status update if it would just look like a petty excuse for more time?

Secondly, when you port something, the update is ready if and only if you actually have ported everything. For a very hypothetical, made-up and in no way directly representative of either the way Re-Logic operates or the way I think Re-Logic operates-instance ("because we don't want to get into the :red: on this one", as a certain bald alcoholic portrayed by Adrian Edmondson once said) , Re-Logic might have had planned a ton more content for 1.3., but when they reached the release date they released 1.3 as it was, and no one would notice the difference. 505 can't do that, because we know exactly what was in update 1.2.4., and if anyone finds anything missing from the port, someone, somewhere, is going to make a point of it.

505 Games doesn't know for sure how long this port is going to take either, so they can't give a proper release date until it's very nearly done, and a status update saying something to the effect of "we need more time, but we don't know how much" isn't helpful to anyone.
What a fun And easy question, how DO you quantify progress? Simple, once you are a certain percentage of the way done, say 50%, you will likely have an updated ETA on when the remains will be done. This is what people want to know, clearly, YOU don't want to know, but others do, which would be their motivation -fan service-.
Additionally, when this thread that we are posting on now came out, this is what I and several others were talking about when we asked for such an update earlier. We asked and (it took time) they delivered. So we are simply asking for another thread post. The one entitled that we are posting on now. Great question by the way...

What a fun And easy question, how DO you quantify progress? Simple, once you are a certain percentage of the way done, say 50%, you will likely have an updated ETA on when the remains will be done. This is what people want to know, clearly, YOU don't want to know, but others do, which would be their motivation -fan service-.
Additionally, when this thread that we are posting on now came out, this is what I and several others were talking about when we asked for such an update earlier. We asked and (it took time) they delivered. So we are simply asking for another thread post. The one entitled that we are posting on now. Great question by the way...

I don't see what's simple about quantifying what amount of your work is done, quantifying what amount of work still has to be done, put those two amounts against each other, calculating a percentage from that, do that until you reach a milestone (50%, 75%, then calculate how long the remaining amount of work will take and then tell that to your community.

Analogy: when you're laying a table for a certain amount of people, say eight, it's incredibly easy to quantify progress: if you've put down four plates and four sets of cutlery, you're 50% done. When you've put down six, you're 75% done, and so on. Now consider the same situation, but you have to fabricate the plates and cutlery first. Not only that, but the amount of work varies per guest (one guest (Fishron, for instance), requires a lot of work, and another (the Stylist, for example (the disclaimer from my previous post applies) requires very little) and on top of that the amount of guests isn't a constant known beforehand. So you've set the table for four guests, and you still need to set for an n amount of people, each of which requires an n,x amount of work. Even if you can somehow quantify that in numbers, that statistic will be useless if given to someone who hasn't quantified that process (what would be the cognitive difference between 505 Games saying "we're 90% done" and "we're nearly done"?). Time wasted on useless and potentially inaccurate statistics that could be used for actually working on the update, the latter of which apparently being what 505 Games prefers to do.

Judging from 505's most recent posts, they're nearly done, at which point status updates become meaningless. They could post a message today saying "we have a release date (next week) for a release date", or in a week saying "we have a release date". Personally, I'd do the latter.

Back
Top Bottom