Game Mechanics Vanity Tools

Ominick

Terrarian
Now, there is already alot in Terraria to create a unique character style, loads of vanity sets, alot of different dyes and their corresponding combinations.
Let's say I want to be a ninja.
Farm the Kingslime.
Farm Squids in th Ocean to get dark dye.
Loot the Dungeon for the Muramasa, or wait for the traveling merchant to sell the Katana.
Enter hardmode.
All ninja weapons are way undertiered.
Closest I can get is Shroomite Digging Claw, and that's blue.
My proposition is a tool that let's you combine a tool with another tools look and/or a dye.
I can dye the ShroomClaw Black!
I can make my Terra Blade look like a Muramasa!
I can make a neon pink Breaker Blade that fires exploding Jack-o'-lanterns!
Basically I change an item to either:
Change it's sprite to another item (Like putting a vanity set over your armor).
Change it's colo(u)r to something else (like dying your clothes)
Or both.
It should of course be reversible, in case you don't like how it turned out.
I suggest a new crafting station that combines and de-combines items.

Many people have said how difficult it will be with aall different tool slots, true, but I already thought this through, I just failed to tell about it properly, basically my idea is not alot of slots for different tools, but a crafting station where I could, using the example above, craft together pink paint, a breaker blade, and an exploding jack-o'-lantern launcher. (And vice versa, if I regret how it turned out). Is this clearer?

Fin.

Last edited:
I guess adding it wouldn´t be difficult, as it would only need a vanity weapon slot, and probabily making weapons resize themselves depending on what the player is actually using.

No. That would require too much work and it would be way too OP when it comes to combining items. You said it would be possible to have a pink Breaker Blade that fires exploding Jack-o'-lanterns, that in itself would be overpowered. Changing an item's color is possible, but changing it's sprite to something else might be impossible. This was my best attempt to sound constructive, I wasn't in anyway trying to discourage or offend you. Just thought I'd let you know.

No. That would require too much work and it would be way too OP when it comes to combining items. You said it would be possible to have a pink Breaker Blade that fires exploding Jack-o'-lanterns, that in itself would be overpowered. Changing an item's color is possible, but changing it's sprite to something else might be impossible. This was my best attempt to sound constructive, I wasn't in anyway trying to discourage or offend you. Just thought I'd let you know.
Why would a pink Breaker lade that shoots exploding Jack o´Lanterns be OP? There would be no difference between it and a standard Jack o´ Lantern Launcher.

The first thing that comes to mind is the need for only being able to vanity a weapon or tool to other like weapons and tools. For example, it doesn't make sense to have a Terra Blade that looks like a Pulse Bow because there's no swing action; you can't see what your hit range is. You would have to restrict each kind to its type (only bows for bows, swords for swords, pickaxes for pickaxes, and so on). There's also swords that do and don't shoot beams, different ways magic weapons that look alike actually act, and many other differences from items that look alike.

Then you have to figure out equip slots. How would you go about equipping these as vanity? Weapons and tools are not equipped in the same manner as armor and weapons. Would you have one equip slot for each type of weapon? You would need one for swords, axes, pickaxes, bows, staves, books, etc... That is a lot of equipment slots.

Then you have to have a way to let the game know what weapon/tool you're using the vanity for. Would you crate equip slots for weapons? That would free up space on the Hotbar; but how would you then tell the game to use weapons instead of whatever item is selected on the Hotbar? And of course the hassle of swapping weapons during a fight. Would you override every weapon of that type just from the vanity slot without making an actual equip slot for weapons? If you do that then when you use a Night's Edge, Phasesaber, and Starfury all in a few seconds with the Muramasa as your vanity slot then they all look like the Muramasa. Of course the devs would have to go through every single weapon and classify what it does and doesn't vanity.

And then there's multiplayer. One surprise to being able to vanity your character looks is the ability to hide what kind of armor you have on. But no matter what, people know what weapon you are using.

The ability to vanity your armor is done cause you look at your character constantly and some people like to show off the way they design their character. If you try to vanity weapons and tools then everything just gets really awkward and confusing.

Dyes may not be as confusing. But again, how do you equip them? One vanity slot changes all weapons/tools? Too bland. A different slot for every one? Same problem as three paragraphs up (how to determine each one).

The first thing that comes to mind is the need for only being able to vanity a weapon or tool to other like weapons and tools. For example, it doesn't make sense to have a Terra Blade that looks like a Pulse Bow because there's no swing action; you can't see what your hit range is. You would have to restrict each kind to its type (only bows for bows, swords for swords, pickaxes for pickaxes, and so on). There's also swords that do and don't shoot beams, different ways magic weapons that look alike actually act, and many other differences from items that look alike.

Then you have to figure out equip slots. How would you go about equipping these as vanity? Weapons and tools are not equipped in the same manner as armor and weapons. Would you have one equip slot for each type of weapon? You would need one for swords, axes, pickaxes, bows, staves, books, etc... That is a lot of equipment slots.

Then you have to have a way to let the game know what weapon/tool you're using the vanity for. Would you crate equip slots for weapons? That would free up space on the Hotbar; but how would you then tell the game to use weapons instead of whatever item is selected on the Hotbar? And of course the hassle of swapping weapons during a fight. Would you override every weapon of that type just from the vanity slot without making an actual equip slot for weapons? If you do that then when you use a Night's Edge, Phasesaber, and Starfury all in a few seconds with the Muramasa as your vanity slot then they all look like the Muramasa. Of course the devs would have to go through every single weapon and classify what it does and doesn't vanity.

And then there's multiplayer. One surprise to being able to vanity your character looks is the ability to hide what kind of armor you have on. But no matter what, people know what weapon you are using.

The ability to vanity your armor is done cause you look at your character constantly and some people like to show off the way they design their character. If you try to vanity weapons and tools then everything just gets really awkward and confusing.

Dyes may not be as confusing. But again, how do you equip them? One vanity slot changes all weapons/tools? Too bland. A different slot for every one? Same problem as three paragraphs up (how to determine each one).
The weapons would have a special animation for each kind of weapon in the game (Which is a good enough reason, due to the whole thing about a sword that shoots candy corn).
They would be resized.
There would be a vanity weapon slot, or several below the inventory. One per hotbar slot.
Once you so much as see it in action, figuring out the used weapon is very easy.
Same as 2.

The neon pink breaker blade firing jack-o'-lanterns has the pumpkin cannon or whatever it's name was's stats and doesn't harm enemies with the blade itself, it's just a new sprite, wich doesn't affect attack strength.

An example:
If i have turtle armor, but I'm wearing beetle armor in my vanity slot, it doesn't make me extremely OP.

I have missphrased myself, i edited the post so it (hopefully) becomes clearer

Back
Top Bottom