What was Old is Made New Again: Revisting the Terraria Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope shortswords become an actual thing this update both in power and in progression. This change is cool but I think they could use at least a range buff if not damage as well. Or maybe some dedicated accessories for a shortsword subclass similar to yoyos. Point is, give me some endgame shortswords and I will absolutely run at the moon lord with them haha.
Endgame shortswords technically exist. Flails such as the Flairion and the Solar Eruption function in a similar manner to revamped shortswords. Also, Broadswords are far superior regardless.

I really hope shortswords become an actual thing this update both in power and in progression. This change is cool but I think they could use at least a range buff if not damage as well. Or maybe some dedicated accessories for a shortsword subclass similar to yoyos. Point is, give me some endgame shortswords and I will absolutely run at the moon lord with them haha.
I could totally picture the addition of a Hardmode Shortsword that fired Beams every Stab something like the Beams some of the End Game Swords in various Legend of Zelda Games fire... (For example the T2 Sword in Link's Awakening...)

Endgame shortswords technically exist. Flails such as the Flairion and the Solar Eruption function in a similar manner to revamped shortswords. Also, Broadswords are far superior regardless.
I wouldn't really consider those shortswords. By design, the defining feature of shortswords is that you have to be really close to your enemy. What an endgame shortsword should be imo is something that ramps up your defense/regen so high that you can actually facetank something with it (as in as long as it deals damage it gives you temporary defense for example). It could be a really fun playstyle and would actually put some meele into a class that weirdly enough relies on ranged beams, flails, boomerangs etc, etc.

I wouldn't really consider those shortswords. By design, the defining feature of shortswords is that you have to be really close to your enemy. What an endgame shortsword should be imo is something that ramps up your defense/regen so high that you can actually facetank something with it (as in as long as it deals damage it gives you temporary defense for example). It could be a really fun playstyle and would actually put some meele into a class that weirdly enough relies on ranged beams, flails, boomerangs etc, etc.
Technically, the only thing necessary to be a shortsword is to be shorter than an arming sword, and longer than a dagger. :p
The idea of having to close the distance to attack your enemy is very interesting, though I can't see (almost) anyone using them against bosses. This would also greatly reduce their effectiveness against groups of enemies, unless they have an "on-hit" effect.

"Medusa head was not useful"

Well yes, that's because you removed it from normal mode where it WAS useful, and put it in Hardmode where it isn't. You can get so many more useful weapons from Hardmode right at the very beginning without having to grind rare drops from rare enemies.

Sees Stardust Armor update

jjbap3hmmm.jpg

"Medusa head was not useful"

Well yes, that's because you removed it from normal mode where it WAS useful, and put it in Hardmode where it isn't. You can get so many more useful weapons from Hardmode right at the very beginning without having to grind rare drops from rare enemies.
& i'm sure they get it that this put Medusa Head in a bad spot & this is an attempt to make it right.

I dunno, I mean if it were up to me I'd just move it (and the Medusa) back to preHM. There was nothing wrong with where it was, it was easy enough to deal with. People just complained instead of finding out how to deal with it. Any Vilethorn would have taken care of it with absolutely no problems at all. As it is, I'm still not going to bother with it because of the sheer rarity of it.

Will there be any way to convert back to the legacy graphics or original soundtracks? I prefer the older, nostalgic themes of the game. No doubt, the new additions are splendiferous, but I would always take the classic Terraria design over an upgraded design. In fact, I've modified my Terraria wavebank to contain soundtracks from the Legacy Console Edition (Xbox 360 and Playstation 3), that replace their Desktop counterparts.
Even if classic graphics/sounds can be installed as separate content, I will take it.

I hope someone sees this.

Last edited:
Will there be any way to convert back to the legacy graphics or original soundtracks? I prefer the older, nostalgic themes of the game. No doubt, the new additions are splendiferous, but I would always take the classic Terraria design over an upgraded design. In fact, I've modified my Terraria wavebank to contain soundtracks from the Legacy Console Edition (Xbox 360 and Playstation 3), that replace their Desktop counterparts.
Even if classic graphics/sounds can be installed as separate content, I will take it.

I hope someone sees this.
For the graphics, theres texture pack support: Im sure someone will make retro sets. For music, I think wavebanks will likely be your only method.

Has anyone figured out a way to convert regular characters to Journey mode characters?

There is no way for regular characters to be converted to journey characters. It is by design. Journey characters may only be used with Journey worlds and Journey worlds can only have Journey characters.

There is no way for regular characters to be converted to journey characters. It is by design. Journey characters may only be used with Journey worlds and Journey worlds can only have Journey characters.
There's no OFFICIAL way that they endorse, you mean. There must be some sort of flag that can be messed around with....

edit: Never miind, TerraSavr got me exactly what I wanted, a character with every item researched (acting as a sort of "warehouse" for items. No different than creating a world and stuffing it with chests to store items, just the method in which they're stored.

Last edited:
Are you on Mobile/Console because it came out like a month ago.
I have the legacy console edition, so many features/textures aren't (and never will be) added.

Kinda sad that Re-Logic just abandoned the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PlayStation Vita and 3DS editions...:(

I have the legacy console edition, so many features/textures aren't (and never will be) added.

Kinda sad that Re-Logic just abandoned the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PlayStation Vita and 3DS editions...:(
Those devices are simply too old - their hardware isn't powerful enough to run the later versions of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom