tModLoader The Thorium Mod

Hey, random comment: the Blast Shield mentions that it makes "enemies more likely to target you" but when tested, enemies still went after the other players just as much. Is it more likely to a lesser degree, or is this a bug?

The code does seem to say player.aggro += 10, so it should do as it says.

The code does seem to say player.aggro += 10, so it should do as it says.

Well I wore the tideturner-armour (post ragnarok) and the blast shield during a pumpkin moon, and enemies still continued to attack the other players, so I had to go back to wearing the Solar armour.
When wearing the solar armour, nothing attacks anything but me.

Last edited:
Alright, I've brought this up before, but why is so much of the prehard equipment...awful?

Just yesterday, I did a test of the sandstone axe vs. the copper axe, and came to the conclusion that, while high speed did somewhat make up for a lower Axe Power rating, it was only saving me about one second of chopping. That's one second faster over the base equipment using an item I had to beat a boss to make. By that point, you can already make silver or gold-tier tools. Or fish a Reaver Shark. In fact, the whole sandstone tier ends up a sidegrade to equipment you'll no longer be using by the time you get it...and frankly all the prehard sets are like that. By the time you get them, you generally don't need them, unless you focus all your efforts on going for a particular set. I know most people push for hardmode as fast as they can, but it still bothers me that, aside from "flavour", a lot of items could just not be there at all without impacting how people play.

Alright, I've brought this up before, but why is so much of the prehard equipment...awful?

Just yesterday, I did a test of the sandstone axe vs. the copper axe, and came to the conclusion that, while high speed did somewhat make up for a lower Axe Power rating, it was only saving me about one second of chopping. That's one second faster over the base equipment using an item I had to beat a boss to make. By that point, you can already make silver or gold-tier tools. Or fish a Reaver Shark. In fact, the whole sandstone tier ends up a sidegrade to equipment you'll no longer be using by the time you get it...and frankly all the prehard sets are like that. By the time you get them, you generally don't need them, unless you focus all your efforts on going for a particular set. I know most people push for hardmode as fast as they can, but it still bothers me that, aside from "flavour", a lot of items could just not be there at all without impacting how people play.
Ah come on, use some euphemisms, will yuh? I've been tinkering with the Icy, Sandstone and Ocean items this coming update, but despite giving them a bit more flavor, they're never gonna satisfy everybody. By your logic, Copper and Tin are just as useless. You can get iron/lead in just the same amount of time it takes to get copper/tin and its better in every way. You cant discount "flavor" or choice in this matter because its up to the player. If they want to extend the play time a little and explore what the mod adds, then they can go at it. Not every player as you state, wants to push for hardmode, sometimes they like to play it out and soak up as much as they can.

This complaint has been addressed and explained a million times, but even if you disagree with me wholeheartedly, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not gonna change my mind on those item sets placement in the mod. :(

Expanding on what Diverman said, there's also the point that these items are mostly situational depending on just how you're pathing through the game. For instance, I tend to kill Thunderbird before ever going far underground, because all you need is a couple throwing knives/shurikens, cactus armor, and ironskin potion to have an easy time with the boss. Therefore, I often see use out of the sandstone hammer, just because it's better than a wooden one and will hold me over until I get a meteor hamaxe later.

Early progression isn't really a straight line. If you go underground and dig up some silver, yeah, you don't need sandstone tools. If you go to the underground ice biome before anywhere else, you may find use out of icy shards, which would otherwise be worthless the moment you beat Thunderbird or indeed mine some ore up. You won't find a use for everything, but everything does have a use depending on exactly where and when you go.

Ah come on, use some euphemisms, will yuh? I've been tinkering with the Icy, Sandstone and Ocean items this coming update, but despite giving them a bit more flavor, they're never gonna satisfy everybody. By your logic, Copper and Tin are just as useless. You can get iron/lead in just the same amount of time it takes to get copper/tin and its better in every way. You cant discount "flavor" or choice in this matter because its up to the player. If they want to extend the play time a little and explore what the mod adds, then they can go at it. Not every player as you state, wants to push for hardmode, sometimes they like to play it out and soak up as much as they can.

This complaint has been addressed and explained a million times, but even if you disagree with me wholeheartedly, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not gonna change my mind on those item sets placement in the mod. :(

I guess I'm going to have to disagree, then, because I've heard your arguments again and again...and they just aren't true. Around 90% of what's there before Hardmode is - pretty though it may be - just not worth the effort of getting. Maybe some people can take out the Thunderbird in cactus, but I'm willing to make a serious wager that most people don't, even if they could. And no, copper and tin aren't useless. You can get them immediately upon starting. You don't have to kill a boss or farm for hours to get them, and anything that does take that amount of work ought to offer comparable usefulness to other tiers you could get with the same amount of work. It's not about never being satisfied, it's about effort versus reward. If something takes more trouble to get than an equivalent in Vanilla, it's either underpowered, or too hard to get.

i can agree with diver that the armors are fun for new experiences and alternate playstyles, i like the current icy set, though i do almost always forget to try and get it at the time its useful for, and most of the other stuff is fun too, my only problemsare some of the bosses i often forget due to placements, like the queen jelly, since its technically a post-skeletron boss i often forget about it since i rarely need anything else to begin the fight with the WoF, same with the queen bee, another one is the beholder, i often forget it even though ths ores it spawns are quite powerful, mostly because im too busy mining the hardmode ores, or because its sometimes really hard to even beat.

Nope, I downloaded it yesterday and when I tried to run it, it says that the mod is intended for tModLoader v0.8 and not for the latest update (v0.8.3.2)
Mine works just fine though? I think you musta messed up somewhere.
I guess I'm going to have to disagree, then, because I've heard your arguments again and again...and they just aren't true. Around 90% of what's there before Hardmode is - pretty though it may be - just not worth the effort of getting. Maybe some people can take out the Thunderbird in cactus, but I'm willing to make a serious wager that most people don't, even if they could. And no, copper and tin aren't useless. You can get them immediately upon starting. You don't have to kill a boss or farm for hours to get them, and anything that does take that amount of work ought to offer comparable usefulness to other tiers you could get with the same amount of work. It's not about never being satisfied, it's about effort versus reward. If something takes more trouble to get than an equivalent in Vanilla, it's either underpowered, or too hard to get.
To be fair 90% of this mod isn't worth getting if you compare it to Vanilla. If you're just trying to beat the game as fast as possible then most of Thorium's content is completely useless. There is a handful of items from it that would be extremely good to use...everything else? Not so much.

Also the Grand Thunderbird can be defeated as naked as the day you were made. So can the wall of flesh for that matter. Circumstances and wanting to enjoy what a mod has to offer are big parts of modding in general. Icy is damn near useless but if you happen to start in or near one you can get some pretty decent items...or you can ignore it, go spelunk, and get a powerful ice sword or snowball gun.

I have a bug report. Me and my friend are trying to play with the thorium mod. Same versions of tmodloader, Terraria, Thorium. The only other mod I'm using is imkSushi which we both have the same version of as well. The problem is that whenever we have an item from the Thorium mod, we see it differently. For example, if I drop a Thorium Anvil, he sees it as a Thorium Revolver. What he sees as the Family Heirloom, I see as a Terrarium Bullet. We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, making new characters and worlds, and reloading the mods. I am playing on Windows and he is on Mac if that could be causing the problem. We both have the Steam version of Terraria.

Works just fine for me, I got tons of mods that aren't updated to the current version and still work. Guess you messed up?

Where did I mess up though? I just downloaded the latest tModLoader and this mod yesterday but I keep getting this error....

Attachments

• 20160906212555_1.jpg
    20160906212555_1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 212
All in all, balance and progression are entirely up to Diverman. And same goes for vanilla Terraria. You don't go complaining to the devs that copper and tin armor is useless do you? In any game, there are bound to be things that might end up useless and underutilised. But that does not detract from their value. They are there to add spice to the game and a great degree of freedom to players who wander off the beaten path, and appreciate the mere variety and diversity of content. Don't forget die hard collectors or people that are entirely new to the content, where every discovery is a new adventure.

How much game content or mechanics is up to the developer, and how fun or useful they are is entirely up to the player.

All in all, balance and progression are entirely up to Diverman. And same goes for vanilla Terraria. You don't go complaining to the devs that copper and tin armor is useless do you? In any game, there are bound to be things that might end up useless and underutilised. But that does not detract from their value. They are there to add spice to the game and a great degree of freedom to players who wander off the beaten path, and appreciate the mere variety and diversity of content. Don't forget die hard collectors or people that are entirely new to the content, where every discovery is a new adventure.

How much game content or mechanics is up to the developer, and how fun or useful they are is entirely up to the player.
Agreed. One can only truly speak for themselves. It's really unfair to make blanketed statements like saying vast parts of a mod (a very popular and successful one in this case) are "a waste", when you're wrongfully speaking for every single player of that mod -- each with their own unique experiences, play styles, and reasons for playing in the first place.

The only part I slightly disagree with is, while a mod's content is certainly up to the dev, the best mods out there tend to be those with devs who are receptive to the ideas of others. Though you may very well feel that way too.

Where did I mess up though? I just downloaded the latest tModLoader and this mod yesterday but I keep getting this error....
Ah wait, are you downloading the manual or ModBrowser download? The manual one is currently out of date, you'll want to download the ModBrowser one from within tModLoader!
[doublepost=1473213600,1473213397][/doublepost]
The only part I slightly disagree with is, while a mod's content is certainly up to the dev, the best mods out there tend to be those with devs who are receptive to the ideas of others. Though you may very well feel that way too.
I hope its clear that my decision on that matter isn't because of my lack of receptiveness to others opinions and observations. I don't disagree that the earlier sets are a tad bland, its just a personal choice to have those sets remain within the mod as they are. :(

Ah wait, are you downloading the manual or ModBrowser download? The manual one is currently out of date, you'll want to download the ModBrowser one from within tModLoader!
[doublepost=1473213600,1473213397][/doublepost] I hope its clear that my decision on that matter isn't because of my lack of receptiveness to others opinions and observations. I don't disagree that the earlier sets are a tad bland, its just a personal choice to have those sets remain within the mod as they are. :(

Making early-game armor sets incredibly interesting (very unique set bonus, other effects, etc.) is very difficult to pull off without having the armor branded as being "too OP" at that level of progression as well.

I think they're fine as they are now, but that is just my personal opinion again. They're not OP and they aren't useless.

Back
Top Bottom