Weapons & Equip Bad Prefixes: Please Remove These

-You wouldn't have to modify things as much.
-You would spend less money modifying things because you'll be modifying less.
-You won't have to grind as much to get the money to modify things due to modifying less.
-You'll play less Terraria.
There is a trope for this kind of stupid.
In my mind, time spent grinding is NOT time spent playing.

Xylia, while I 90% support this, I don't think this is going anywhere. If this was my thread I would have requested a lock by now, but that is your decision.

Xylia, while I 90% support this, I don't think this is going anywhere. If this was my thread I would have requested a lock by now, but that is your decision.

I don't really want to do that, because SOME good things have been said in the thread. I obviously don't agree with some of the aforementioned InsaneTrollLogic (some of the responses in the thread do indeed swing that way, like the people who keep saying that my idea would remove "all" randomness and adventure, lol), but I'd have to admit some good suggestions have been made that are good alternatives, such as....

• 0% chance for BiS prefix (Legendary, Mythical, Unreal, etc)
  • 5% chance to have a random beneficial prefix
  • 65% chance to have neutral (no prefix)
  • 15% chance to have a slightly negative prefix
  • 10% chance to have a medium negative prefix
  • 5% chance to have a terrible negative prefix

^^
This suggestion here is more reasonable, though I would change it to 75% chance of Neutral, 10% slightly bad, 5% medium bad, and get rid of the "terrible". Replace the "terrible" with another prefix that is "half good half bad".

In fact, I think the "BiS" prefixes are overpowered anyways; if you have awesome stats there should be a downside that way it isn't an unquestionable BiS thing. Legendary/Godly/Unreal/Mythical shouldn't be the Be-All and End-All of Prefixes. There should be some Playstyle choices. But you won't get that if you have "One Prefix Rules Them All" type thing.

I'd rather see all-bad prefixes removed, and ALL prefixes (including the all-good ones) changed to be "Some Ups, Some Downs" type thing (or maybe only change the medium-to-high end ones). That way, which prefixes you use would be a playstyle choice. Do you want a Thousand Stings weapon that hits fast and does lots of crits, or do you want the slow but hard-hitting weapon instead? That would be an actual choice, rather than "Legendary is BiS for this weapon." and so you grab a bunch of platinum coins and click the mouse button until it says "Legendary".

There is a trope for this kind of stupid.

While your point is valid, you could have worded this a bit less rudely. Please consider the feelings of others when posting.

This thread is getting many reports for things like this. If this trend continues, be advised, this thread will be locked.

While your point is valid, you could have worded this a bit less rudely. Please consider the feelings of others when posting.

This thread is getting many reports for things like this. If this trend continues, be advised, this thread will be locked.

Why lock the thread instead of just deleting the offending posts? That seems like you're taking a sledgehammer to something a jewelry mallet would solve. A whole thread shouldn't be locked down because of a few people making some bad posts (I wouldn't be surprised if some people do this on purpose to force a thread lock).

Hundreds of games have grinding in it, Hundreds of games are successful by adding grinding to their games. You live under a rock to not know this.

Why lock the thread instead of just deleting the offending posts? That seems like you're taking a sledgehammer to something a jewelry mallet would solve. A whole thread shouldn't be locked down because of a few people making some bad posts (I wouldn't be surprised if some people do this on purpose to force a thread lock).

Because deleting the messages won't stop them from positing new bad ones, and people who quote or reply to the message before it's deleted will seem weird because the topic they were talking about is missing parts.

It's best to lock the thread so all the mean people and rock dwellers can stop posting negatively all together. It could also serve as a punishment for posting mean things. Kinda like a "This is why we can't have nice things" kind of deal so that maybe next tome they'd think twice before posting rude things. I'm TOTALLY guessing though so someone else might have a better answer.

Last edited:
As a moderator for a Minecraft server (and forums):
A) Generally nothing is ever "deleted", the most that ever happens is something being hidden from public view.
B) Threads aren't locked because there's a little dispute, threads get locked because people have been asked multiple times to be civil and they fail to oblige. Especially when it applies to 2+ people. This usually signifies the topic at hand is too incendiary and/or the forums aren't ready for a reasonable discussion on said topic.
C) If a person keeps making "bad posts", they're going to end up forum banned. It also takes more than one person to get a thread locked (in terms of flaming/related).

Successful isn't the same as good though, and most players will generally agree that they don't like excessive grinding

^^
This.

Grinding is good when it is masked by variety, or there's a clear purpose behind the grind and/or if said grind provides more than one type of reward.

Grinding is bad when it is excessive, repetitive, or when the grind just seems like it was placed there purely "because grind, duh!" for no reason other than to slow the player down.

Grinding is good when it is coupled with content (Random Dungeons in FFXIV).

Grinding is bad when there's no real content behind it (the Goblin Tinkerer in Terraria, clicking the mouse several times until you see "Legendary" pop up is not 'content').

I'd rather there'd be some kind of Content behind the Reforging process. Go out and collect materials, then trade materials + money to get prefix you want. Instead of just clicking the button over and over and over again until what you want comes up. Could make it expensive, even. At least then it'd have some content to it lol.

For the most part, we don't delete offending posts on this forum. The reason the thread may be locked is because it is devolving into a stubborn flame war, with dozens of people objecting to your proposal and you refusing to respect their difference of opinion. People have provided, in their minds, suitable reasons why bad prefixes should stay in game, and you haven't really respected that . . . which is your privilege, but it also begs the question of why have a discussion at all if your mind has already been made up. After a certain point, what needs to be said has already been said, and further posting is just reiterating the same words again and again.

For the most part, we don't delete offending posts on this forum. The reason the thread may be locked is because it is devolving into a stubborn flame war, with dozens of people objecting to your proposal and you refusing to respect their difference of opinion. People have provided, in their minds, suitable reasons why bad prefixes should stay in game, and you haven't really respected that . . . which is your privilege, but it also begs the question of why have a discussion at all if your decision has already been made up. After a certain point, what needs to be said has already been said, and further posting is just reiterating the same words again and again.
Maybe this thread can be repurposed as a place to discuss weapon modifiers and how we can make them fair and interesting instead of a random click-fest?

Maybe this thread can be repurposed as a place to discuss weapon modifiers and how we can make them fair and interesting instead of a random click-fest?

That's what I've been trying to do in my last several posts, yes.

I have an idea guys. Since everything that requires any grinding and adds any frustration or difficulty is shoe-horned in by greedy developers and doesn't add to the gameplay, why don't we just remove all enemies? :D
Also, walking is a pain, we should have unlimited flight! :D
Mining for blocks is also time-consuming, we should just have access to all the block, in an unlimited fashion! :D
We should also give ourselves infinite health, and all tools and weapons ought to have infinite stat values for all stats! YEAH :D
Sassy - No support ;)

I have an idea guys. Since everything that requires any grinding and adds any frustration or difficulty is shoe-horned in by greedy developers and doesn't add to the gameplay, why don't we just remove all enemies? :D
Also, walking is a pain, we should have unlimited flight! :D
Mining for blocks is also time-consuming, we should just have access to all the block, in an unlimited fashion! :D
We should also give ourselves infinite health, and all tools and weapons ought to have infinite stat values for all stats! YEAH :D
Sassy - No support ;)
Sassy, more like sarcastic to the max. And a little bit rude.

To be completely honest, this is pretty unlikely to happen. The thread already has 6 established pages of "remove bad prefixes/no don't remove bad prefixes!" with an OP proposing the removal of said prefixes, including a title to that extent.

People will come into this thread, first thing they see is "remove bad prefixes" and that is what they will respond to.

If you want to make a new thread addressing a topic from an entirely different direction, then I highly recommend making a new topic. In my experience in both the Suggestion forum and Adult Swim section, the OP and the first 3 or 4 replies determine the vast majority of the rest of the replies forever. IMO, its too far gone to take it in a new direction now.

Sassy, more like sarcastic to the max. And a little bit rude.
Did I go a little overboard? Yes.
Was I too rude? Probably Dx
But still, this idea just gives me such a bad taste in my mouth, it sounds kinda like a little kid complaining about not having enough money for a toy.

Did I go a little overboard? Yes.
Was I too rude? Probably Dx
But still, this idea just gives me such a bad taste in my mouth, it sounds kinda like a little kid complaining about not having enough money for a toy.
Less like a kid complaining about not being able to afford a toy, but more like them complaining about it being broken in the package and being unable to afford a replacement.

That is because those games go for fake longevity.
Grinding is very rewarding when it makes sense in a roleplaying standpoint. It wouldn't make sense for you to suddenly be more powerful, but defeating tons of opponents for EXP or something is a type of progression that makes sense and feels rewarding, as long as it's gradual. Nearly all of my favorite games are like this.

Back
Top Bottom