A Road Well Traveled - Terraria: Journey's End Launches on Xbox & PlayStation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, i know i said my wait extends into next year...

...but i might go ahead and make a new character and world now.

i love all the new little things, like the wind... grass, flowers, vines, and trees swaying, the stars falling in the background at night.

even saw a meteor falling!

saw skeletron clouds, tree clouds, a balloon and even the EoC floating around.

also, not sure if it was just me, but when i dropped into a little cave with a tunnel leading to the surface during a windy day, it sounded like the wind was howling through the opening.

i don't have it in me to resist playing for several more months. :dryadpassionate:

Except there is. You can (Y on Advanced) swap between inventory and world while leaving an inventory overlay (which also makes the current row selected in the inventory work like a hotbar via shoulder buttons).
I'll mess around with that later on and get back to you.
Define what you find to be "completely backward" - one or two examples would be great.
  1. Jump is grapple
  2. Grapple is jump
Two of the most used features.
"Classic" is as close to "Classic Console" as you can get and still have all the new things - Classic Console was what was added in 1.3 to get as close as possible to 1.2-era controls for those that hated Red's Pick/1.3.... but that is backwards too?
I remember Classic Console not being close either, but it's been so long since I played 1.2 that I can't remember why. If I get time I'll dig out the PS3 and get back to you.
If you need it that badly, bind hotbar slots to those dpad presses?
So I can just assign ← to HB1 etc.? That's an OK substitute I suppose, but that does mean losing 4 slots. This was a really bad idea, were any console players actually testing this time?

Also, are the textures always going to be like this? Or will there be a patch to bring them up to the parity we've all been told about?

I know I have a tendency to be negative and maybe a bit harsh, but it's very frustrating to have to re-learn something that you're good at because programmers choose logic over common sense. Most of us wanted an enhancement to what we love, not a complete reworking. I think overall I'll just play this socially once a week or so, but I'll stick to PC for my main Terraria fix as it's just so much easier to use and nicer to look at.

On the plus side, the Journey Mode UI is good; the fact that we don't have to drag items into the research box was a great surprise, as were the categories AND the fact that the keyboard is back the PS4 one, not the in-game one. I remember mentioning that last one a while ago, so that was a welcome treat.
DR for making mobile 1.4 they definitely didn’t do as great with console.
They're a mobile game company. If you look at their portfolio it's mainly monopoly and world builders. Nothing wrong with that, but it's an odd choice for such a complex console project.

Last edited:
Ok. I am back, lot of changes here including the controls, and by the way I am not complaining, but quite a few major controls changed like X is jump now and not R2 like it was on old gen console, so I kept pushing the wrong buttons also, I havent played console Terraaria in a long while, so I am quite rusty, but I got back into the swing of things, not sure if its just the tv im using but the GUI kinda cuts off but i managed to fix a workaround by switching the GUI to compact, again not complaining, but it took a while for me to get back into the swing of things.

Oh yes, and I have not had any lag yet even though my PS4 is quite old now and getting on for time, the poor thing, but I want to thank Re Logic, 505 Games, DR Games for doing so much work for us, well done, oh and thanks as well to both Microsoft and Sony for the last minute Quality Assurrance check, I appreciate your efforts.

I can definitely say performance took a hit on PS4 which leads me to believe this is what it keeping the Switch version from releasing considering it chugs even on 1.3. I do hope that's fixed soon though.

I can definitely say performance took a hit on PS4 which leads me to believe this is what it keeping the Switch version from releasing considering it chugs even on 1.3. I do hope that's fixed soon though.
Yeah, I had to explain to my dad yesterday when he thought i got the update when i told him it was coming out this Thursday and that i as on my switch, but I told him its coming out today on the XBOX One and PS 4 etc but not the switch, cause thats a seperae version plus i told him that the Switch is a good console but in terms of computing power is quite a bit weaker than your standard console, portable consoles tend to have less manpower in terms of RAM and that so Im not surprised Terraria might slow down on the Switch, hence why that version is coming out later.

Can't wait till switch
Im looking forward to that but I can wait causing porting it over, carrying out QA checks and performance checks is gonna take time, but will defeinitely be in the PS4 version now that its at 1.4 plus after being in a bit of a funk i think i got my console gaming drive back, well until i burn myself out by playing on my ps4 for about 4-8 hours straight at least.

Xbox One Elite. Updated game. Started game and got syncing files for like 39 minutes now. Getting worried. Is there a something I should do??

Update: syncing issues that prevent the game from EVEN starting!!! Just read all about it. Good job team! (Slow golf clap...)

Last edited:
Ugh. Hate the new controller mapping. How do I set it so the pick isn’t swinging automatically while attempting to build/dig??

Edit: PS4 user fwiw

Edit II: Nvmnd, figured it out. Still annoyed by the change and lack of option to revert to previous mapping mode.

This ui is giving me minor migraine. There's just too many submenus you got to go through. I really miss the old gen console ui.

Sigh. Here’s another gripe: How do I/Is there a way to make it so the item you have selected isn’t hovering, enlarged, near you?

EDIT: WTF doors don’t auto close after passing through them now?!

Guys, I understand if you have gripes with certain changes in the 1.4 update, but its only just been released, I'm sure the development team will release hotfixes and QOL improvements eventually.

Ok. I am back, lot of changes here including the controls, and by the way I am not complaining, but quite a few major controls changed like X is jump now and not R2 like it was on old gen console, so I kept pushing the wrong buttons also, I havent played console Terraaria in a long while, so I am quite rusty, but I got back into the swing of things, not sure if its just the tv im using but the GUI kinda cuts off but i managed to fix a workaround by switching the GUI to compact, again not complaining, but it took a while for me to get back into the swing of things.

Oh yes, and I have not had any lag yet even though my PS4 is quite old now and getting on for time, the poor thing, but I want to thank Re Logic, 505 Games, DR Games for doing so much work for us, well done, oh and thanks as well to both Microsoft and Sony for the last minute Quality Assurrance check, I appreciate your efforts.

you know you can customize the controls, right?

settings -> controller -> controller bindings: EDIT

the option is above the "scheme" option.

below "scheme" is the option to flip the function of the shoulder buttons.

so that way i could put "jump" back on L1 and "use item" back on R1, for myself.

Sigh. Here’s another gripe: How do I/Is there a way to make it so the item you have selected isn’t hovering, enlarged, near you?

EDIT: WTF doors don’t auto close after passing through them now?!

the doors open/close automatically for me most of the time... though i think they sometimes do stick open, not sure what causes that, though.

Mine has been syncing files for the last half hour, is that supposed to happen?

i assume you're on xbox? loki said that is apparently an issue only on xbox at the moment, they're currently working on getting that fixed.

you know you can customize the controls, right?

settings -> controller -> controller bindings: EDIT

the option is above the "scheme" option.

below "scheme" is the option to flip the function of the shoulder buttons.

so that way i could put "jump" back on L1 and "use item" back on R1, for myself.

the doors open/close automatically for me most of the time... though i think they sometimes do stick open, not sure what causes that, though.

i assume you're on xbox? loki said that is apparently an issue only on xbox at the moment, they're currently working on getting that fixed.
Its ok, dude, thanks for the help, but again I havent played in a long while and was just rusty, plus I looked up the new controls so I was not moaning and complaining, and I already know I can change the controls and that but thanks anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom