A Thread to Express Gratitude to the Devs and Community Managers/Mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank the devs for what? A game that you paid money for?

Sigh. With consumers like these no wonder companies like EA are still in business. Speaking of which, I'm guessing they are on your Christmas list as well?

Sigh. With consumers like these no wonder companies like EA are still in business. Speaking of which, I'm guessing they are on your Christmas list as well?
So by that logic we can like no one we ever pay money to? Are you not grateful to the doctor that performs a life saving surgery on you? The point of this thread is to thank the devs and staff not only for the game, but for the forum, the people, and the community as a whole. This game is a large part of many people's life and as such the devs deserve thanks.

Wow... that was really rude. I have no words for how uncalled for that was. Did you ever stop to think that maybe part of the reason we're thanking them is because they are so much better than companies like EA? They could make updates into DLC, or make tons of bad games and sell them at full price, but they don't. Maybe next time you should think before you post something as rude and hateful as that.

So by that logic we can like no one we ever pay money to?

Don't go putting words in my mouth. I said you have no reason to show gratitude. Showing gratitude generally implies you owe them something, which you don't. On the contrary, considering the game industry gets a free pass in many cases where any other industry would be heavily regulated and it's products required to live up to a certain standard, game developers actually owe us, big time (well technically the publishers do, but good luck getting Valve to take any responsibility for anything, let alone a game they didn't make, only sold). But if you can't figure that out on your own then it's a lost cause m8. EA, Valve, Ubisoft, Activision, etc. they win.

Are you not grateful to the doctor that performs a life saving surgery on you?

No, I'm not. They are paid to do that, quite handsomely too. Furthermore, they are paid even if they fail.

Not to mention, where I'm from you couldn't have picked a worse example. Doctors here openly "warn" you that if you don't slip a nice round number into their pocket then they won't be motivated to ensure that you don't suffer complications during surgery. Oh yeah I'm grateful for that, grateful as a motherf***er.

The point of this thread is to thank the devs and staff not only for the game, but for the forum, the people, and the community as a whole. This game is a large part of many people's life and as such the devs deserve thanks.

Ok first of all, how do the developers deserve credit for the community? Most game developers these days couldn't care less about the communities, if not downright loathe them, and yet they still thrive. You giving the developers credit for something they didn't do is a perfect example of how brainwashed most people are. Sad state of affairs.

Second, why would I be grateful to you, exactly...? I don't get it. I really don't. I mean, being grateful to the developers I understand, I disagree with it but I get the concept, but being grateful to a game's fanbase? If anything, I should blame most of the fanbase for feeding the fat cats, being "grateful" to them and defending them against the "haters" and "trolls" who don't worship them. I'm not saying that I do, since Re-Logic hasn't really done anything that bad yet, but there's definitely no reason why I should be grateful to y'all come on -.-'

And definitely not to this guy:

Wow... that was really rude

such rude, wow

You're the reason companies like EA still exist. Just because Re-Logic isn't as bad as them doesn't mean we should be grateful. What it does mean is that you should leave Re-Logic alone and rip EA a new one (and more importantly, stop buying their damn games, and if you really wanna do something, convince other people to do the same). My conscience is clear.

Last edited:
@Eurotrash as i clearly stated in the original post, this is a thread for saying thanks and being positive. if you disagree with the thread and/or think it is violating rules or isn't ok then, please; take it up with the staff in a personal message.

i also ask that you remove your comment from this thread. sorry that you couldn't join in on the feel goods. if you have a change of heart and wish to thank say some kind and genuine thanks to the terraria staff, feel free to come back at that time.

i wish you a pleasant day.

edit* as for the rest of those visiting this thread, please do not respond to Eurotrash anymore. it will likely just make it worse and i'd like to keep the purpose of this thread as intact as possible. thank you.

Last edited:
So what your saying is because other game developers make terrible over-priced games and don't care about their community, we aren't allowed to give our thanks to one of the few that does make great games and does care about their community? Also, if you hate developers and their communities so much then why are you even here? Why would you post something like that here, what you posted would be like if you went to someone's birthday just to insult that person and all of their friends. Not only was it rude, but it was stupid and could only go bad for you.

Edit: also, I couldn't care less about EA or their games, and there's no reason to post your hate for them here.

I'm wondering if I should inject my cynicism into this thread...

Euro brings up a valid point, however. No one should be grateful to someone who sold us a finished product. On the contrary, the person who sold us the product should be grateful that we gave them money.

Mindsets like "YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY THEY SOLD YOU THIS GAME!!!" are what's rotting the gaming industry out from its core. No one should be praising developers for pitching a good idea (looking at you, Starbound) and selling nothing more than that. You should want to see your project bear delicious fruits of labor, not just the cash it can rake in.

Everyone's gotten so used to being shafted by everything in sight that nowadays its practically a miracle for any company (save for Nintendo, they've not done gamers wrong since ever) to push out a finished, polished, and nigh-bug-free product.

It's sad and pathetic, the mindset of gamers this generation.

Or maybe people are happy that they paid for a finished game, and they got a finished game...

And then that game goes on sale for $2.50 several times a year.
And then that game got a massive free content patch that other developers would sell as DLC. A content patch most of the community would happily pay, but got for free.
And then the developer wasn't going to update the game anymore because family.
And then the developer came back and gave another massive free content patch.
And then the developers are hard at work with yet another massive free content patch.
And all the while, miniature content patches are thrown in, yet again, for free. Despite how much they could have made selling it as DLC.

Maybe it's not a bad thing to be a happy customer. And maybe it's a praise-worthy thing that a developer is willing to support the game for so many years, without having to resort to paid DLC. (That thing Nintendo's now doing, but I guess it's okay when they do it, despite how vehemently other companies are ripped into for doing it.)

There's no harm in thanking companies for not being like the others. Maybe people should be spending more time criticizing the bad companies and less time criticizing the happy customers of companies that don't do bad things.

@MegaMage314 please refrain from responding to him any further. this is a job for the mods and with luck, they will handle things soon.

@Korin no, you should not have. as the original post CLEARLY stated, this thread isn't the place for negativity. the original post also never stated this thread was specifically for thanking the staff for the game. it is a thread for thanking them for anything you feel grateful for.

there is no problem with saying thanks for something that has had a positive effect on ones life. thanking an individual(s) for something they worked hard on or did a good job of, will certainly not promote decay and ruin things. using cynicism in an inappropriate place for it will though. nothing good will come from trying putting down or slandering others or what they love. ESPECIALLY when it's done where what they love is.

next time you're unsure if you should say something like this, please state that and ask FIRST if it is appropriate. wait for a response and please respect the answer given. you are more than welcome to make a thread of your own that discusses why you feel a thread like this is "rotting the game industry". this thread, however; is not the place to do so.

@Tsuki: Nintendo does DLC the right way. That's why they aren't torn to shreds every time they do DLC.

@Midnight Heart: I never said the thread is "rotting the game industry", I said that mindsets that do nothing but praise developers is what's rotting the game industry.

In addition, cynicism does not automatically equate to "putting down or slandering others". Unequip your Victimized! attitude.

People are entitled to their opinions, but it would be nice if folks could respect the TC's intention for the thread.

Before claims of bias and such roll in, we certainly give threads providing criticism and ideas to improve the exact same attention (I have literally read every post in the feedback section).

If there is a desire to debate the dynamics and foibles of the modern gaming industry, that seems a fun topic - but only very tangentially related to this thread, and quite far from the thread topic. Feel free to make said thread in off topic or other games. Thanks.

I'm definitely appreciative, because to me, Terraria is a game that really shone and rose above other games, particularly in its massive growth since release . . . none of which was owed to us, and none of which I paid for. I probably got 100 hours out of 1.0 Terraria, which is a pretty good run for $15 I think . . . but that was just 1.0.

I don't think any other game can match the playtime I put into Terraria over time and with updates except MAYBE Diablo 2. My steam hours are at about 1500, with another few hundred spent on Xbox 360. Given that I spent $15 buying the game, it means I've gotten over an hour of play time for EVERY CENT I spent. Compare that to the standard triple A title these days, with their 10 hour campaigns and $60 price tag . . . yeah, I'm appreciative.

Last edited:
OMG! I cannot read the second page because I am already crying. I do not really have any friends outside this game, so I have a ton of friends on multiplayer servers and on the forums. I think that @D-Town deserves a SPECIAL shout out from me, because I think he is one of my best friends. I have no idea where I would be today without ALL of you. I have had hardships and tears, blood and skin, but I honestly believe this is the best game ever. I honestly believe only one game will ever be better than this. And that is Terraria 2. I feel like all you devs and staff are family to me, just because I am bad at social things... But this game you made... It makes me social... I think this is one of the best threads ever. I have not been here as long as a lot of you. I joined TO a little before these forums opened, but I started Terraria right after 1.2.3 came out. PC that is... I played mobile for a while before that and I played a little 1.1 on my friends PC. I hope you all have a good day, and I thank you all that goes above all saying.

OMG! I cannot read the second page because I am already crying. I do not really have any friends outside this game, so I have a ton of friends on multiplayer servers and on the forums. I think that @D-Town deserves a SPECIAL shout out from me, because I think he is one of my best friends. I have no idea where I would be today without ALL of you. I have had hardships and tears, blood and skin, but I honestly believe this is the best game ever. I honestly believe only one game will ever be better than this. And that is Terraria 2. I feel like all you devs and staff are family to me, just because I am bad at social things... But this game you made... It makes me social... I think this is one of the best threads ever. I have not been here as long as a lot of you. I joined TO a little before these forums opened, but I started Terraria right after 1.2.3 came out. PC that is... I played mobile for a while before that and I played a little 1.1 on my friends PC. I hope you all have a good day, and I thank you all that goes above all saying.

That's really nice, Super Jack! I'm glad that this is a place where you feel accepted and comfortable enough to make friends. :joy:

@Loki @D-Town @Jeckel @Leinfors wow, i am in awe of how well spoken you guys are. ever since i started having serious health issues, i have a hard time concentrating and being able to focus. it has really caused me to appreciate articulate individuals. all of you so easily made clear what i could not. thanks for that. ^u^

@Super Jack1234567890 what a sweet and heartfelt post. it's making me cry. i would like to thank you. sharing these feelings with us, trying hard to keep your chin up, not taking things for granted and challenging yourself to put yourself out there are ALL very commendable things. it makes me so happy to see that the terraria team has made such a big, and positive; difference in your life.

it pleases me to no end, to see that our community has so many kind and considerate members. i hope you all stick around for a long time. it would be great to gain even more of you too. i'm proud to be a member of TCF.

Been watching this thread for a while, figured it was time to make my contribution.

I have a lot to be thankful for from this company. @Redigit made one of my favorite games of all time, one that I have racked up over 1300 hours playing! That's almost two straight months (Almost nothing compared to @Baih, but it's still quite respectable :p). Before I played this game, I was a bit of a Minecraft fanboy, I'll admit it. But when I first played it, my entire view of gaming shifted. I have had an entire world open up to me thanks to this game. I have had new experiences that I might never have had if I hadn't played this game. I've met a lot of wonderful people which I've befriended (@Grox The Great, @Arkhalis, @blahblahbal, @Yoraiz0r to name a few). I have never before been a part of a community like this before, and I am very glad that I have had the opportunity and privilege to do so. This game, and @Redigit by extension, have both inspired me to become a programmer. I recall past days when @Yoraiz0r would tell me to learn C# when trying to create a tConfig mod, so that's what I did. This expanded to not only Terraria modding, but games of my own in varying programming languages. I truly owe a lot to all those that are a part of Re-Logic. For all I know, my life would be very different if not for you all.

@Redigit, thanks again for inspiring not only me, but others like me to turn our passion for games into one where we make them! Getting this game was truly a pivotal part of my life and I'm thankful for all the contributions you've made to the game. This is a game I hope to play with my kids.

@Cenx, where would this game be without you? You were an integral part of Terraria's revival, and for that everybody in the community will be thankful. I have honestly never seen anybody part of a game company be such a huge part of the community, which after all, is a big part of what makes Terraria the game it is. I've never seen a place to this extent where the community has a big say of what happens in the game, and I am thankful for that opportunity as well.

@Solsund, @Skiphs, @Yoraiz0r- you guys are what I aspire to be. Programming is a very big part of who I am now, and each of you inspire me every day to be a better programmer.

@Lazure, @Crowno, @Jimmarn - the art you make for this game is amazing! I've tried learning spriting before, but I'll be honest- I'm not very artistic. I lean more to the 'logical' side of things, hence the programming. :p

@D-Town, as @Devalaous said, you are also a truly integral part of Re-Logic! You are a fun guy to hang around with and talk to, something you don't see a lot in business managers nowadays.

And you, the community (Not to mention all the hardworking moderators). I owe you a lot, and I'm thankful that I get to be a part of it. Though I didn't know it at the time, my cousin gifting this game to me on Steam would turn out to be a huge part of my life. :)

Last edited:
I'd like to thank all the members of Relogic for their work in creating this game. While I only started playing in 1.1, I soon fell in love with the distinct feel of this game and have played Terraria ever since.

However what I appreciate most is that you guys are able to and willing to listen to your fans to make Terraria a better experience for all without charging for more money as many game developers have resorted to. You have truly listened to fans and I look forward to seeing what great progress 1.3 will bring towards Terraria.

Give a round of praise to @Redigit, @Cenx, @Skiphs, @Yoraiz0r, @Crowno @D-Town @Lazure @Jimmarn and all former Relogic Members as well as testers. Without your efforts this amazing game would not be here to drive my collecting impulses.

Thank you.

I'd like to thank me, for putting $10 into the pocket of Redigit. Without my (and more people's) contributions, we wouldn't have Redigit remove his :red: from the couch to hire folks to work on Terraria.

Go consumers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom