tModLoader Assorted Mods by Ef

Simple Auto Chests: Do you prefer "elaborate" names for the chests or simpler ones?

• Elaborate

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Simple

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know, the sprite is oriented diagonally (like a staff) rather than horizontally (like a gun). I tried changing the use style of the item, but that caused a weird bug where the weapon would stay in the same place while you moved around. I may try to fix that later. And maybe I'll have to nerf it a bit if it "destroys everything" like you said. :p
I think it does that cause of the way the sprite is - All dart weapons, bows, and guns are sprited straight, rather then horizontal.

Heya EF, love your Auto Chests mod, but I got a couple fatal errors with the boss spawner to report for ya. I noticed that quite often many of my chests wouldn't work, so I modded your mod (...) a little bit to throw debug messages in to see exactly where the main issue was.

There are two situations where the chest processor will abort all functionality instead of failing gracefully, killing all loot output from chests placed down after the boss spawner.

1. No boss item - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[-1] : http://pastebin.com/V7MgZpQA (skip to the end)
    • Index -1 obviously doesn't exist. Fixed by throwing in a check to goto NextChest if value is -1
  2. Celestial sigil item - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[15] : http://pastebin.com/w5F0wTdL (skip to the end)
    • BossGathererDifficulty = new int[] { 10, 16, 30, 40, 50, 74, 160, 450, 600, 850, 5000, 6000, 8000, 10000, 23000 };
    • There is no '300' for the pirate invasion between 160,450. There are only fifteen values, making index 15 out-of-range.

Going up to the frost moon works just fine right now, as its the last value in the Difficulty list, but for the Moon Lord to work, you gotta fix it by throwing the '300' in there.
  1. Naughty Present item - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[14] : http://pastebin.com/pzZZLBJh (relevant at line 705)
    • As you can see at line 705 it properly calculates instead of throwing an exception. However, this is using the Moon Lord difficulty as the Pirate Invasion, Mechanical Bosses, Golem, Fishron, Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon have all had their difficulties bumped up due to missing actual Pirate Invasion value.
  2. Celestial sigil item (fixed) - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[15] with pirate invasion value added : http://pastebin.com/0QGt7cNh (relevant at line 705)
    • Again, at line 705 it properly calculates. Celestial sigil now works just fine from adding a '300,' into the list :)
  3. No boss item (fixed) - added check for BossIndex == -1 to goto NextChest : http://pastebin.com/wMEQmFJZ (relevant at line 704)
    • Works here too :D

Also I'm not sure if you know but it also processes at dusk instead of just dawn >__> From doing a little research it seems both dawn and dusk use Main.time == 0, the difference is Main.dayTime being 1 or 0, so basing it off of % 86400 is faulty since it only goes up to dayTime 54000 and !dayTime 32400. (I hope nobody kills me for this)

Last edited:
Heya EF, love your Auto Chests mod, but I got a couple fatal errors with the boss spawner to report for ya. I noticed that quite often many of my chests wouldn't work, so I modded your mod (...) a little bit to throw debug messages in to see exactly where the main issue was.

There are two situations where the chest processor will abort all functionality instead of failing gracefully, killing all loot output from chests placed down after the boss spawner.

1. No boss item - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[-1] : http://pastebin.com/V7MgZpQA (skip to the end)
    • Index -1 obviously doesn't exist. Fixed by throwing in a check to goto NextChest if value is -1
  2. Celestial sigil item - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[15] : http://pastebin.com/w5F0wTdL (skip to the end)
    • BossGathererDifficulty = new int[] { 10, 16, 30, 40, 50, 74, 160, 450, 600, 850, 5000, 6000, 8000, 10000, 23000 };
    • There is no '300' for the pirate invasion between 160,450. There are only fifteen values, making index 15 out-of-range.

Going up to the frost moon works just fine right now, as its the last value in the Difficulty list, but for the Moon Lord to work, you gotta fix it by throwing the '300' in there.
  1. Naughty Present item - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[14] : http://pastebin.com/pzZZLBJh (relevant at line 705)
    • As you can see at line 705 it properly calculates instead of throwing an exception. However, this is using the Moon Lord difficulty as the Pirate Invasion, Mechanical Bosses, Golem, Fishron, Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon have all had their difficulties bumped up due to missing actual Pirate Invasion value.
  2. Celestial sigil item (fixed) - calculating based on BossGathererDifficulty[15] with pirate invasion value added : http://pastebin.com/0QGt7cNh (relevant at line 705)
    • Again, at line 705 it properly calculates. Celestial sigil now works just fine from adding a '300,' into the list :)
  3. No boss item (fixed) - added check for BossIndex == -1 to goto NextChest : http://pastebin.com/wMEQmFJZ (relevant at line 704)
    • Works here too :D

Also I'm not sure if you know but it also processes at dusk instead of just dawn >__> From doing a little research it seems both dawn and dusk use Main.time == 0, the difference is Main.dayTime being 1 or 0, so basing it off of % 86400 is faulty since it only goes up to dayTime 54000 and !dayTime 32400. (I hope nobody kills me for this)

Wow, thanks a ton for looking through my code and finding these errors! I'm glad my code was comprehensible enough for you to find the errors. I'll put in the fixes you suggested and release a new version as soon as I can. And welcome to the forums!

Edit: So I changed the time check to:
if (Main.time == 0 && Main.dayTime)

Hopefully this will work as intended. I didn't realize Terraria counted day and night separately like this, but this should run in the morning like intended. I also added in a check for BossIndex == -1 BEFORE trying to find the victory chance, which was the part that was failing. And, of course, I put the pirate invasion in the difficulty array. Theoretically, all the problems you found should be solved. Again, thanks for taking the time to read through my slapdash C# attempts and finding the cause of the problem instead of just "mod dosnt work plz fix".

Last edited:
Just a quick question. Where do expert ranked items fall in the rarity list for your auto chests mod?

I don't think they'll work. I'm not completely sure, but I think they use a different way of specifying rarity than normal items. In vanilla at least, there are no rainbow-level armors or weapons, so it's not a problem. Some mods add them, though. And since they could be obtained at any point in the game, there's no way I could balance them. They'd either be overpowered at low levels or worthless at high levels.

Can you use modded tools with Simple Auto Chests?

Not sure what exactly you mean? Modded pickaxes should work in the Ore Gatherer as long as they have a pickaxe power. Modded equipment will work in the Boss Chest as long as they have a rarity (non-rainbow) and are a weapon/armor piece. If you're referring to having another mod create new types of chests, then I don't think it's possible without plagiarizing most of the existing code.

can you make a chest based on the spider biome that collects cobwebs and stuff? collecting enough cobwebs to make stuff is kind of boring, and do the auto chests collect rare drops, like the rod of discord?

can you make a chest based on the spider biome that collects cobwebs and stuff? collecting enough cobwebs to make stuff is kind of boring, and do the auto chests collect rare drops, like the rod of discord?

The dungeon chest will collect cobwebs, but nothing at the moment collects spider fangs. Chests only collect common materials, you'll have to find a rod of discord on your own, sorry.

I got a few suggestions, but super vague (sorry :/):

- A pipe that can be used to kill Skeletron (like obtainable pre-Skeletron but post-EoW/BoC)
- A pipe that you can get post-Golem? Like a thing that fires special laser darts?
- I don't know if Vortex Armor affects dart damage, but if it doesn't then make post-Golem and post-Moon Lord dart armors?
- Instead of darts that are the same as vanilla bullets/arrows, why not make some unique ones?
~ One that inflicts shadowflame
~ Maybe one that slows enemies
~ A high knockback-orientated one would be cool (if its possible)
~ Maybe one that splits into 2 lesser darts?
- A Dart Damage-increasing potion is needed
- Pipe extensions as accessories?
~ One that increases damage, maybe having an upgraded one be craftable in hardmode
~ One that increases velocity of the darts but decreasing damage?
~ Maybe you can combine them both to make a super pipe extension? Who knows

I got a few suggestions, but super vague (sorry :/):

- A pipe that can be used to kill Skeletron (like obtainable pre-Skeletron but post-EoW/BoC)
- A pipe that you can get post-Golem? Like a thing that fires special laser darts?
- I don't know if Vortex Armor affects dart damage, but if it doesn't then make post-Golem and post-Moon Lord dart armors?
- Instead of darts that are the same as vanilla bullets/arrows, why not make some unique ones?
~ One that inflicts shadowflame
~ Maybe one that slows enemies
~ A high knockback-orientated one would be cool (if its possible)
~ Maybe one that splits into 2 lesser darts?
- A Dart Damage-increasing potion is needed
- Pipe extensions as accessories?
~ One that increases damage, maybe having an upgraded one be craftable in hardmode
~ One that increases velocity of the darts but decreasing damage?
~ Maybe you can combine them both to make a super pipe extension? Who knows

Thanks for all the suggestions! Let me go one at a time:

- You can either use the vanilla Blowgun (the one from the Witch Doctor) or get the Hell Pipes from the underworld, those should be able to kill Skeletron easily enough.
- So you can get the Shroomite Air Rifle post-Plantera and the Gauss Repeater post-Pillar, I think that should fill out that section of the game well enough. Golem is a pretty easy boss, and I wouldn't want to make the Air Rifle obsolete so quickly. Maybe I could add in a weapon to Fishron or one of the Moon events.
- Vortex armor affects all ranged damage, darts included. Any "ranged" armor will affect darts.
- Not a bad idea, could maybe make something with Souls of Night.
- I don't think there's a vanilla debuff that can slow enemies, so I'd have to create one from scratch. Originally this was going to be the function of the Septic Darts.
- Could be interesting, I'll have to think about where to put that.
- The vanilla Ichor Darts will split into 4 in midair, so that idea already exists. I don't know if I should apply that to any of my darts.
- I feel like darts are powerful enough on their own. The fact that arrows have an associated potion but not other types of ranged damage seems somewhat deliberate.
- I'd considered the possibility of accessories. Just increasing damage isn't that interesting, you could just use a Ranger Emblem. Higher velocity would be cool, but I'm not sure how that would work. I'll have to look at the code for the Magic Quiver. Otherwise, accessories that apply debuffs to enemies would be a good addition.

Again, thanks for the suggestions! I have yet to really go through the game and check my mod's balance, so some of what I've said may actually not be true. Let me know what your experience is.

- You can either use the vanilla Blowgun (the one from the Witch Doctor) or get the Hell Pipes from the underworld, those should be able to kill Skeletron easily enough.
I can confirm this. I once was doing a dart playthrough in vanilla, non expert, and was able to beat Skeletron. But that's no expert - Not sure how easy it'd be to do in expert.

I can confirm this. I once was doing a dart playthrough in vanilla, non expert, and was able to beat Skeletron. But that's no expert - Not sure how easy it'd be to do in expert.
Ah, I didn't do a dart playthrough yet so i just typed stuff that was on my mind atm. Thanks for responding and confirming @efhosci and @SkullRay!
[doublepost=1471974250,1471974178][/doublepost]Time to do an expert dart playthrough :3

Not sure what exactly you mean? Modded pickaxes should work in the Ore Gatherer as long as they have a pickaxe power. Modded equipment will work in the Boss Chest as long as they have a rarity (non-rainbow) and are a weapon/armor piece. If you're referring to having another mod create new types of chests, then I don't think it's possible without plagiarizing most of the existing code.
Okay, nevermind. Turns out a mod was interacting with Calamity that basically corrupted my world when I killed the Terra Lord. I thought it was the Simple Auto Chests mod that might've corrupted the world since it was kinda sketchy at first. Thanks anyways.

Ah, I didn't do a dart playthrough yet so i just typed stuff that was on my mind atm. Thanks for responding and confirming @efhosci and @SkullRay!
[doublepost=1471974250,1471974178][/doublepost]Time to do an expert dart playthrough :3

Yeah, I've just been test fighting some of the bosses with appropriate gear in normal mode. Skeletron is easy enough with Blowgun + Poison Darts. The modded Septic and Unholy darts also work pretty well.
[doublepost=1472082782][/doublepost]
Okay, nevermind. Turns out a mod was interacting with Calamity that basically corrupted my world when I killed the Terra Lord. I thought it was the Simple Auto Chests mod that might've corrupted the world since it was kinda sketchy at first. Thanks anyways.

What do you mean by "sketchy"? Were you having lag problems or something?

So i was playing around with Pillar Items plus, and the 2 weapons I've tried so far are broken. Playing a ranger character so I made Messier Mortar and the Star Thrower. The starthrower doesn't require ammo despite calling for gel, and the Messier mortar forgot what projectile to fire, so it fired a pet from a completely different mod.

Back
Top Bottom