Weapons & Equip Buff Certain Accessories

So recently I made a tier list of all the accessories in this game. As I ranked every accessory, I noticed some that were either very bad, or inferior to their counterparts. So I'm going to suggest some changes to make them better and/or useful for something important. Also, every performance change or extra effect would carry over to the accessories' tinkers.

1612483212486.png
Obsidian Rose
This accessory is the worst Underworld-related accessory, because if you fall into lava in the Underworld you're probably going to sink down quite a bit, and be in lava for long enough to die. Also it is very rare, because Fire Imps aren't very common and this has an extremely low drop chance. So the drop chance should be increased from 2% to 1/7 (which is approximately 14%), and it should reduce lava damage by 75%, from 80 damage to 20 damage without any defense or damage reduction. It could also reduce damage from fire-related enemies and projectiles, like the Warmth Potion except for fire instead of ice.

1612484219471.png
1612484234792.png
1612484274500.png
1612484295001.png
Movement Speed Accessories
The Aglet and the Anklet of the Wings are pretty bad, because the extra movement speed does not apply to running boots or Wings. I think that it should, because for the majority of the game you'll be using those accessories. The Panic Necklace is alright, because of how big the movement speed boost is, but its only tinker sucks, because it's a combination of this and the Honey Comb, which is currently horrible. I think it needs a useful tinker so that it can actually be used in Hardmode.

1612588035039.png
Celestial Magnet

Don't get me wrong, this accessory is great and it's a component for the best mage accessories in the game. However, it is extraordinarily rare, because the Traveling Merchant rarely comes, and he has a huge array of possible merchandise, especially after 1.4. This is fine for most of the things he sells, because he mostly sells unimportant things like decorations and pets. But for this accessory, which is an almost essential accessory for mages, is very annoying and time-consuming to get. @whoneedsnamestbh suggested that it could be crafted with a Treasure Magnet and some Mana Crystals, and @Baconfry suggested that it could replace the Shiny Red Balloon in Sky Chests, which would be instead dropped by Windy Balloons (which spawn during Windy Days).

1613102771049.png
Jellyfish Necklace
This accessory is horrible. It has a very low drop chance, and it drops from an enemy you don't encounter often. The glow isn't very bright, even in water. You could just use glowsticks, because they have a brighter glow, stay bright out of water, and are much easier to obtain. You don't have to worry about being attacked, because you could just switch to your weapon. So I'd give this accessory equal brightness to a glowstick out of water, and make it a bit brighter than a glowstick in water. If that is still underpowered, it could provide the ability to become "electrified" like Jellyfish do in Expert Mode, which would make enemies take damage when they attack you, but slows down your movement speed.

1613712952515.png
Ice Skates
This accessory provides a very small movement speed bonus, on a block you won't spend much time on, that has no effect on any form of Hermes Boots, and also stops you from breaking a block you will almost never encounter. On the contrary, the Dunerider Boots, which do almost the same thing, aren't bad, because they increase your speed by much more and affect your running speed. The Ice Skates should increase all speed (including movement speed with Hermes Boots or an equivalent) by 50% on Ice (instead of 35%) and Ice Platforms. This would make the Frostspark Boots a reasonable upgrade to Lightning Boots, because you gain a good amount of extra speed if you use Ice and Ice Platforms for things like arenas.

1613781748070.png
Hand Warmer
The problem with this accessory is that it is too rare to be useful. It can only be rarely obtained from Presents, which are only obtainable during a small fraction of the year. I think that it should instead drop from Frozen Zombies with a 5% chance, because it fits there thematically and wouldn't be very difficult to obtain, allowing for not-too-hard-to-get immunity to a somewhat common debuff when exploring the Snow biome.

1613937085628.png
Frog Webbing
This accessory is bad simply because it is made from the Tiger Climbing Gear, which is almost entirely outclassed by grappling hooks, and the Amphibian Boots is a much better use of the Frog Leg, which can take a while to fish up. This could be made a bit better by making wall-jumps (an effect of the Tiger Climbing Gear) be affected by the auto-jumping ability of the Frog Leg and its upgrades. This would make it easier and faster to wall-jump, and make it more useful in Hardmode (because Wings get their flight time reset when you cling to a wall). Credit to @MagicasquirrelTMT for this idea.

1615759316481.png
Frog Flipper
For some reason, the Frog Leg's auto-jump doesn't effect swimming, so you have to constantly press the jump button to swim. This accessory should allow you to swim by holding the jump button, because it is combination of the Frog Leg, which provides auto-jump, and the Flipper, which gives you the ability to swim.

1615608231304.png
Toolbox
Sometimes, items that are rare are decent, like the Rod of Discord or the Coin Gun. This is only available during the Christmas season, and it drops with a very low chance from Presents, but it only increases placement and tool range by 1 tile, and is outclassed by Builder Potions, which are much easier to get. I think it should increase placement and tool range by 2 tiles instead of 1, so it can compete with Builder Potions and the Extendo Grip, and should be sold by the Mechanic instead of dropping from Presents. It could also be combined with the Architect Gizmo Pack to create the Architect Gizmo Box (I know, it's a horrible name, if you have any better ideas please tell me).

1617163007706.png
Diving Helmet
This should be made an accessory, because there's no reason for it to be an armour piece, especially if it is used to craft an accessory. It should also be moved to Water Chests, because it is too rare at the moment. On the topic of Water Chests, the Shark Bait and Beach Ball should be secondary items, because they provide purely visual effects and they waste Water Chests, which are very limited. Credit to @Mr. Spruce Tree for this idea.

1617163457716.png
Fairy Boots
This was a pointless accessory combination that could have had potential. It should be crafted out of Lightning Boots instead of Spectre Boots, and should make Fairies spawn more often. Credit to @Mr. Spruce Tree for this idea.

1617163852652.png
Mana Cloak
The star effect is entirely outclassed by the Magic Cuffs. The stars spawned by these take some time to hit, and when they do they can be annoying to pick up, especially if you're moving horizontally, and the amount of mana restored is usually much less than with the Magic Cuffs. The stars should instantly restore mana when they hit an obstacle instead of having to be picked up, and the amount of mana restored should be increased from 50 to 100. Furthermore, the amount of mana restored should be doubled to 200 if the stars successfully deal damage to an enemy. Credit to @Mr. Spruce Tree for suggesting this accessory.

1617493269281.png
Jungle Rose
This could be made into an accessory that increases your life regeneration by an amount that increases the lower your health gets. It should also have a higher chance to drop from the red flowers it drops from. The regeneration effect shouldn't be too powerful, so that it can be a useful but balanced accessory that can be obtained early on, if you're willing to go to the Jungle. Credit to @Mr. Spruce Tree for this idea.

1612484893749.png
Honey Comb

Okay, even after being buffed in 1.4, it is still very weak. The bees interrupt your weapons and deal very little damage (13-26 at base, before defense, and usually there's only one or two of them at a time), and the Honey effect is good but lasts only 5 seconds, which at this stage is only enough time to regenerate a few health points. So what should happen is the damage of the bees, the amount of bees spawned, and the duration of the Honey buff should scale with how much damage you take, because that prevents you from abusing this accessory's effects, but still allows you to deal good amounts of damage to enemies that attack you, if you survive a hit. Also, the bees should get static immunity no matter what, because right now they can actually reduce your DPS because of their global immunity.

1625117115428.png
Honey Balloon
Another one of those pointless accessory combinations. There's no reason to use your Shiny Red Balloon to make this, because the Honey Comb effect contributes basically nothing and you can save accessory slots by combining your Balloon with a double jump bottle and a Lucky Horseshoe. In order to make it worth using over the other Shiny Red Balloon tinkers, it needs a double jump, which I think should have a height of 22 blocks (in between the Fart in a Balloon's jump and the Sandstorm in a Balloon's jump), and release 3 to 6 bees with static immunity every time you double jump.

1612498254108.png
Lava Charm
The accessory itself is alright, even if it is outclassed by Obsidian Skin Potions in many cases, but it is way too rare. So it should be available from Gold Chests at any layer, because currently there the lava layer isn't very big and there isn't much reason to spend time there. Credit to @whoneedsnamestbh for this idea.

1613793233838.png
Lava Waders
If the changes I suggested for the Obsidian Rose and the Lava Charms are made, these shouldn't be too hard to craft. But there's a problem with the recipe itself. 1.4 added an alternate recipe with the Molten Charm and the Water Walking Boots (which is the same ingredients just put together in a different way), but that was before 1.4.1 added the Obsidian Rose to the Lava Waders. So currently, if you craft the Obsidian Skull Rose, you will have to get another Obsidian Skull and another Obsidian Rose if you want to craft the Lava Waders, which is very annoying. So I propose another alternate recipe: the Obsidian Skull Rose, the Lava Charm, and the Water Walking Boots.

1612499478363.png
Hellfire Treads
Remove this accessory from the game forever, or make an alternate recipe for the Terraspark Boots that uses this instead of Lava Waders. It just locks you out of Terraspark Boots for no reason, instead giving you get a vanity effect.

1612658551733.png
Treasure Magnet
This is a useful accessory, even if it's mostly for convenience, but it is twice as common as and isn't as important as the other Shadow Chest items, most of which are among the most powerful weapons in Pre-Hardmode, and there aren't very many Shadow Chests in each world. In my opinion, it should be moved to underground Gold Chests, because it fits there more thematically, and because that would make getting the other Shadow Chest items a bit easier, instead of forcing you to fish for Obsidian Crates, which are rare.

1617162540343.png
The Grand Design
Since the Ruler is now a weapon instead of an accessory, the Mechanical Ruler should replace it in the recipe. To compensate, the amount of wires used could be lowered. Credit to @Mr. Spruce Tree for this idea.

1612499636252.png
Flesh Knuckles
Let's face it. Most players play singleplayer, for many reasons, like no one else they know can play with them, or they don't want to go through setting up servers, or people have bad internet connection, etc. The Putrid Scent is better than this accessory, because extra damage output is much better than a bit of extra defense, and the aggro-reducing effect actually does something in singleplayer. I think that it should give 10% damage reduction on top of the 8 extra defense, because damage reduction is much better than defense in most situations. The damage reduction should carry over to its tinkers, but the damage reduction of it and its tinkers shouldn't stack.

1613966830651.png
Pocket Mirror
I'm not even sure why this exists. This provides immunity to a debuff inflicted by a rare enemy, in a small biome you won't be in for more than 5 seconds, that can be avoided easily. I think that it could give a chance block certain light projectiles, which would come in handy in some situations. Credit to @Baconfry for suggesting an effect against light/laser projectiles.
Pink Laser (fired by Gastropods and Probes)
Frost Beam (fired by Ice Golems)
Shadow Beam (fired by Necromancers)
Laser Ray (fired by Ray Gunners)
Nebula Laser (fired by Nebula Floaters)
Vortex Laser (fired by Storm Divers)
Laser Ray (fired by Martian Walkers)

1616905950785.png
Titan Glove
Extra knockback doesn't help very much in Hardmode, mainly because you've already got good mobility to avoid enemies with, and 10% increased melee weapon size is a joke. An extra effect wouldn't be a good idea because it might make the Berserker's Glove, Mechanical Glove and Fire Gauntlet too powerful, so this should be moved to underground Gold Chests. This would make it available very early on in the game, when knockback is actually important for keeping enemies away from you. This accessory should also apply to whips, because summon weapon tend to have pretty weak knockback. Credit to @qwerty3.14 for this idea, and @MagicasquirrelTMT for suggesting that its effects should apply to whips.

1619236937063.png
Arcane Flower
This accessory doesn't really have a purpose, because it only inherit Putrid Scent's aggro reduction and the Mana Flower isn't very useful because Quick Mana exists and even if it didn't Mana Potions are outclassed by the Mana Regeneration Potion and Celestial Magnet. This should inherit Putrid Scent offensive bonuses, that way it would be a combat accessory that comes with a couple of quality of life effects.

1613010700306.png
Volatile Gelatin
This accessory is very underwhelming for an Expert-exclusive drop. It's bad because it barely contributes anything to your DPS, because of the cooldown, the short enemy detection range, and the fact that the gel projectiles are heavily affected by gravity. Unlike the Spore Sac, it doesn't go through walls, so it isn't as good underground. However, it is great at knocking away enemies because of the high knockback, but it tends to miss a lot, which makes it almost ineffective. I suggest that the the projectile velocity and damage should be increased significantly, and that the projectiles should be much less affected by gravity and have smart bounce. This would make it excel at keeping enemies away from you when you’re busy doing something like fishing or traversing the world.

1615609552092.png
Rifle Scope
I know that the point of this accessory is to be crafted into the Sniper Scope, but that is technically a tier above. The zoom feature isn't very helpful, because it has almost no effect in combat, is pretty disorienting in aerial boss fights, and while it can be used to find more ores with a Spelunker Potion, you can just use Binoculars which can be obtained way earlier in the game. If it was sold by the Arms Dealer after Skeletron is defeated, it might come in handy during the Wall of Flesh battle. Credit to @qwerty3.14 for this idea.

1613782281504.png
Gravity Globe
It is outclassed in every way by other mobility-related Expert-exclusive accessories that are available earlier, and the effect it has is pretty boring, if you ask me. So it should allow you to infinitely increase fall speed by holding down the Down key or pulling the joystick downwards, as well as being able to reverse gravity. This would allow you to reach extremely high vertical speeds, which would result in insane Jousting Lance damage, which wouldn't be too broken because it's only available after you beat the final boss. Credit to @Derpling Ω and @Baconfry for this idea.

Last edited:
View attachment 307130 Lava Charm
The accessory itself is alright, even if it is outclassed by Obsidian Skin Potions, but it is way too rare. So what I suggest is replace the Treasure Magnet (because it doesn't fit where it is now in my opinion) for it in the Shadow Chest loot pool and move the Treasure Magnet to underground Gold Chests, however there are two flaws with this idea: firstly, that would make the Treasure Magnet available too early in the game, which could be solved by instead moving it to the dungeon locked Gold Chest loot pool, and secondly, that would lock the Lava Waders and Terraspark Boots behind Skeletron, which may or may not be an issue, considering you don't need hell items to beat Skeletron.

The lava charm is only useful if you can get it early game, if you actually have to explore hell for this then you will probably break a few pots which means the game will likely throw a few obisdian skin potions at you.

I'm not against moving the treasure magnet though.

Speaking of Treasure Magnet, I think the Celestial Magnet should be crafted from it. I recently had a multiplayer game where I was running a mage and didn’t get the magnet at all, not once, during the entire game. I had to run without this essential mage accessory because it’s locked behind the bull:red: RNG that is the Traveling Merchant’s inventory. Such an important item should not be limited to something like that.

yeah the celstial magnet being sold by traveling merchent is bad.

I don't mind the rng with any of the other items because they're mostly cosmetic, or aren't important long term, but the celestial magnet is literally needed to make the mage's 'post mech ultimate accessory', and its one of the rarer items.

View attachment 307076View attachment 307077View attachment 307078View attachment 307079 Movement Speed Accessories
These accessories are pretty bad, because the extra movement speed does not apply to running boots or Wings. I think that it should, because for the majority of the game you'll be using those accessories, so these accessories are almost completely useless (except for the Moon Charm, because it provides other boosts too).
Panic necklace might actually be useful.
gyazo.com

I'm using a swiftness potion and 'exquisitlet stuffed' swiftness potions are cheap and stuffed is something you want to use anyway.
I'm also using ninja armor, but a lot of other sets give some movepseed for free, especailly in hardmode.

And of course a panic necklace, with just these items I'm able to reach a movespeed of 44mph, and this actually works with wings too, if movespeed > wing speed the game will use your move speed.

Without thee armor you get a move speed of 41, which is still much higher than hermes.

This is because the panic buff grants a massive 100% move speed, so you can basicly consider it a hermes boots that can actually stack with other movement speed bonuses.

I think what the panic necklace really need is a tinker that doesn't suck, if it had say a combination with the cross necklace I might actually be tempted to use it.

1612484893749.png
Honey Comb

Okay, even after being buffed in 1.4, it is still very weak. The bees interrupt your weapons and deal very little damage (13-26 at base, before defense, and usually there's only one of two of them at a time), and the Honey effect is good but lasts only 5 seconds, only enough time to regenerate a few health points. So what has to happen is the duration of the Honey buff should be increased from 5 seconds to 30, the damage of the bees should be increased from 13 to 20 in Normal Mode, 18 to 30 in Expert Mode, and 26 to 40 in Master Mode, and it should spawn 5 to 10 bees.

I agree with buffing it but a massive raw increase to the Bees' damage is a bad idea, just look at how abusable the Star Cloak was (and still is) when it released.

The bees released and the Honey's duration should scale with damage taken, that way they can be useful against high-damage attacks and not broken when facetanking 1 damage pings.

I'm not sure about how it could be obtained instead, so I'm open to ideas.

I’d say it should be crafted from Treasure Magnet and several Mana Crystals, and if we want it to be a bit later in the game because it is very strong, maybe Souls of Night. Because it’s literally a Treasure Magnet for mana stars, right all the way down to its core design.

Speaking of Treasure Magnet, I think moving it to cave chests would be fine enough. One of the biggest problems I have with it already is how it wastes Shadow Chests that could have easily been a Hellwing Bow or Flamelash, and if it were moved to the dungeon, that same problem would still exist, meanwhile there are waaay more Gold Chests that you find over the course of the early game. And it’s not like it being available earlier is a problem because it has very limited combat use and is basically just a convenience accessory.

E: alternatively, Treasure Magnet could simply stay in hell chests but be made a secondary treasure like the demonic hellcart or the pets.

I’d say it should be crafted from Treasure Magnet and several Mana Crystals, and if we want it to be a bit later in the game because it is very strong, maybe Souls of Night. Because it’s literally a Treasure Magnet for mana stars, right all the way down to its core design.

Speaking of Treasure Magnet, I think moving it to cave chests would be fine enough. One of the biggest problems I have with it already is how it wastes Shadow Chests that could have easily been a Hellwing Bow or Flamelash, and if it were moved to the dungeon, that same problem would still exist, meanwhile there are waaay more Gold Chests that you find over the course of the early game. And it’s not like it being available earlier is a problem because it has very limited combat use and is basically just a convenience accessory.

E: alternatively, Treasure Magnet could simply stay in hell chests but be made a secondary treasure like the demonic hellcart or the pets.
That's a good idea. I think that the Celestial Magnet doesn't need to be later in progression, because currently it can be bought at any stage of the game. I'll leave it as it is for now, to see if anyone else has any other ideas.

I dunno about that... Windy Days are kinda rare though. Would it be a 100% drop chance?
100% might be a bit excessive. In fact, anything higher than 20% would result in your inventory being absolutely flooded with balloons, because the balloon-carrying slimes are not rare at all. Being able to earn enough balloons for a bundle in one windy day is a good thing. Getting spammed with balloons to the point of trashing them is probably not a good thing.

100% might be a bit excessive. In fact, anything higher than 20% would result in your inventory being absolutely flooded with balloons, because the balloon-carrying slimes are not rare at all. Being able to earn enough balloons for a bundle in one windy day is a good thing. Getting spammed with balloons to the point of trashing them is probably not a good thing.
Also, if it were 100%, Windy Days would become an event that allowed you to get huge amounts of money for Pre-Hardmode, because Shiny Red Balloons sell for 1 Gold and 50 Silver each.

Money is really scuffed though and can be obtained in gigantic quanitites quickly already by selling cooked frogs or stained glass.

I mean, that doesn’t mean it should be made worse by giving players 30 gold every time a windy day happens.

I’d say, if we’re making windy slimes drop Shiny Red Balloons, the chance should be in the range of 5%. Windy Slimes are pretty common, and I guarantee you’ll get plenty if you just sit around on the surface during a Windy Day. And this would be common enough to get them if you need them (Windy Days are actually quite frequent and pretty long), without flooding your inventory or mass producing money off of them.

Lowering the sell price would also help, if that’d still be an issue.

View attachment 307075 Obsidian Rose
This accessory is the worst Underworld-related accessory, because if you fall into lava in the Underworld you're probably going to sink down quite a bit, and you'll still die with this accessory. Also it is very rare, because Fire Imps aren't very common and this has an extremely low drop chance. So the drop chance should be increased from 2% to 1/7 (which is approximately 14%), and it should reduce lava damage by 81%, from 80 damage to 15 damage.
You know how the warmth potion reduces damage from ice enemies and projectiles? What if the obsidian rose did the same for fire enemies and projectiles, stuff like lava slimes, imp fire balls, fire geysers, and even stuff like flaming wood and greek fire from the mourning wood.

It could say 30% reduced damage taken from fire hazards.

You know how the warmth potion reduces damage from ice enemies and projectiles? What if the obsidian rose did the same for fire enemies and projectiles, stuff like lava slimes, imp fire balls, fire geysers, and even stuff like flaming wood and greek fire from the mourning wood.

It could say 30% reduced damage taken from fire hazards.
I’m guessing it doesn’t work on Solar Pillar, Cursed Flames, and shadowflame attacks?

I'm not sure about how it could be obtained instead, so I'm open to ideas.

The traveling merchant rng can be really annoying. One idea I've had is that, perhaps, you could make a sort-of "house" that will increase/guarantee travelling merchant arrivals. It would be different from regular npc houses, maybe requiring some specific furniture like chests or pieces crafted at a saw mill/heavy work bench. However, making the celestial magnet available without needing travelling merchants would probably be better.

Also, one thing I wanted to say about frog gear (I know it's not on the list yet, but it most likely will be), or just the combination of frog leg + climbing gear accessories: I've been messing around with the frog gear recently, and I don't understand why the auto-jump feature from frog leg and it's upgrades doesn't work on wall jumps. This wouldn't really fix the fact that it's bad, and I don't know what can be done to make it on par with other movement accessories, but goddamn would it make it insanely fun. I mean, imagine zipping up a small, vertical tunnel in literal seconds. Also, the parkour potential would be insane.

(Actually, on second thought, this could be a pretty good buff, if wall jumps reset wing flight. So that instead of having to use grappling hooks or landing, you could fly into a wall, and then instantly bounce off into the opposite direction with reset wing flight. Even with insignia, this could still be useful to quickly change directions in arenas)

Last edited:
Speaking of Frog Leg, it’s a little bit annoying that its tinker, Amphibian Boots, offers superior mobility to the Terraspark and the Terraspark itself only offers some minor convenience benefits over Lightning.

I want to say that Amphibian Boots should be crafted into Terraspark and Terraspark recieves the benefits of Amphibian Boots as well, but I don’t know if requiring the player to fish for two of the materials is very good and it’s already difficult to make everything for it. Maybe Terraspark could have a significantly higher running speed than the boots its crafted from, and give a wing ascent bonus of about 30%. I know that’s not anything its tinkers offer, but it *is* the Terraspark Boots.

Back
Top Bottom