Weapons & Equip Buff Certain Accessories

Gravity Globe is a useful accessory on paper. Main problem is its nonexistent availability, so I'd move it to Martian Saucer and call it a day. (Increasing fall speed with down key would also be nice.)

I proposed some time ago that Pocket Mirror could provide dmg reduction against light and laser attacks, and I think someone suggested that the Jellyfish Necklace could provide a faint glow at all times and a stronger glow underwater.

This accessory is very underwhelming for an Expert-exclusive drop. It's bad because it barely contributes anything to your DPS, because of the cooldown, the very short enemy detection range, and the fact that the gel projectiles are heavily affected by gravity. Unlike the Spore Sac, it doesn't go through walls, so it isn't as good underground. How I'd buff it is by making it fire 6 gel projectiles (instead of 1) in different directions (like a ring of projectiles, because that's how Queen Slime fires her projectiles). The amount of projectiles could also go up to 10 when your health goes under 50% (also like Queen Slime). This would make lots of gel projectiles bounce everywhere and deal good crowd damage when used in tight spaces like caves and the Dungeon. It could also be useful aboveground for events.

Only issue here is the screen clutter and possibly lag from producing 6-10 large bouncing projectiles per second with their own large sprites and particle effects.

One thing Volatile Gelatin does right is knockback. Firing a high knockback projectile every second is bound to keep enemies off of you when fishing or mining, when sometimes your minions won’t. Its biggest downfall is its accuracy. It can’t hit for :red:, basically. I’d give it a combination of a much higher velocity and a much smaller effect from gravity, more damage so it actually kills enemies before they pile up, and possibly smart bounce.

That way, it keeps its role of keeping enemies off of you when doing things that don’t involve weapons. Not everything needs to be a combat tool - Shiny Stone isn’t, it’s just faster health regen before diving into battle.

1613010099423.png
Hand Warmer
Just add this to frozen chest loot, would be kind of nice to have some 'chilled' immunity earlygame.

1613010144983.png
Jellyfish Necklace
Just remove the water restriction, make it emit light any time its equipped, glowsticks don't need to be wet to emit light.

1613010267020.png
Pocket Mirror
I feel like this is supposed to be useless... it's like pearlwood armor, it exists for 'internal consistency' not for actual use. With that being said, why not give it an equipment visual, something similar to the 'royal scepter' where the player holds it in thier off hand. Yeah it'd basicly just be a vanity item but that's better than it is now.

1613010398749.png
Gravity Globe
Just add this to sky chests, the only way an 'accesory with an equivelent effect to a potion' can be of any use is if you can get it early game before you start mass producing potions.

Ice Skates work on ice platforms and give a speed boost. Asphalt speed seems a bit excessive, so 40-45 mph would do fine.

You know, the first time I got Ice Skates I made an Eye of Cthulhu arena out of ice platforms just to discover that I wasn’t any more agile than I was before. This simple change would make them worth using the entire game if you used ice arenas - it might not even need a speed boost.

I just had an idea for the Jellyfish Necklace: it could allow you to activate an electric mode like Jellyfish in Expert Mode that provides a thorns effect but lowers movement speed. This could be a water-only ability if it seems too powerful.

I just had an idea for the Jellyfish Necklace: it could allow you to activate an electric mode like Jellyfish in Expert Mode that provides a thorns effect but lowers movement speed. This could be a water-only ability if it seems too powerful.

Thorns is neither a strong nor reliable ability, it doesn't need downsides to be balanced. It's always going to be limited by how much health you have.

I added suggestions for the Jellyfish Necklace, the Ice Skates, the Hand Warmer, the Gravity Globe, and the Lava Waders, just to let you all know.

Last edited:
I like a lot of the ideas here and find that with a bit of balancing they'd be able to fit into the game quite nicely but I have two things I'd like to point out.

View attachment 307130 Lava Charm
The accessory itself is alright, even if it is outclassed by Obsidian Skin Potions, but it is way too rare. So what I suggest is to move it to the Shadow Chest loot pool, however that would lock the Lava Waders and Terraspark Boots behind Skeletron, which may or may not be an issue, considering you don't need hell items to beat Skeletron.
Due to lava baits being added in 1.4 and lava charm being obtainable from that quite easily (I'm often able to get it in 10-15 minutes), it's more of a post EOW/BoC accessory, I'm not sure whether being locked behind fishing is a worse then being locked behind Skeletron but when the Reaver Shark was useful no one complained about that. Also it isn't outclassed by obsidian skin potion at all, as a builder I've been in loads of scenarios where where I step in lava accidently or need to spend a few seconds in it. Your not using obsidian skin potions for 7 seconds of lava resistance are you?

View attachment 309123 Gravity Globe
It is outclassed in every way by other mobility-related Expert-exclusive accessories available at the same time, and the effect it has is pretty boring, if you ask me. In my opinion, it should be able to switch gravity for everything, such as liquids and enemies, and be able to switch gravity to being horizontal as well as vertical. This would make it a fun accessory to play around with once you've beaten the game.
I doubt that the having players use the gravity globe post Moon Lord was what the devs intended, you already have wings and in 1.4 you have the Soaring Insignia. I believe they created this accessory with beginning a new playthrough in mind, think about it, why else would your reward for beating expert mode something completely useless endgame. And besides, what's better than finishing a journey? Starting a new one!

Flesh Knuckles are pretty fine as is, since like the Putrid Scent they really only exist for the class-specific tinkers - more specifically the Berserker Gloves. And Berserker Gloves are a really underrated accessory with the new Summoner changes. The ability to stack about +12 Defense with Warding, Whip Autoswing and Speed is amazing on Summoner and helps patch up subpar defenses. With a Warding Frozen Shield i was able to outstrip the average ML Ranger build in terms of Defense while having 5 slots (i pretty much exclusively play MM now) left for a pure menacing build is amazing. And its obtainable in Early HM as well.

I would like the knockback boost for melee weapons to be applied to whips as well though.

Flesh Knuckles are pretty fine as is, since like the Putrid Scent they really only exist for the class-specific tinkers - more specifically the Berserker Gloves. And Berserker Gloves are a really underrated accessory with the new Summoner changes. The ability to stack about +12 Defense with Warding, Whip Autoswing and Speed is amazing on Summoner and helps patch up subpar defenses. With a Warding Frozen Shield i was able to outstrip the average ML Ranger build in terms of Defense while having 5 slots (i pretty much exclusively play MM now) left for a pure menacing build is amazing. And its obtainable in Early HM as well.

I would like the knockback boost for melee weapons to be applied to whips as well though.
The Berserker's Glove is great, I think that it's fine, and the Hero Shield is an amazing accessory for melee players in multiplayer. However the Putrid Scent's aggro reduction has some uses in singleplayer, while the Flesh Knuckles's doesn't, and the former has +5 damage and critical hit chance, so it's worth it to just equip the Putrid Scent without upgrading it. My suggestion for the Flesh Knuckles, which would make it useful on its own, probably shouldn't carry over to its tinkers, like how the Putrid Scent's damage and crit chance bonuses don't carry over.

Why do you care about the knockback boost? It is actually bad for melee, because it knocks enemies out of your small range, and if you can continuously whip something for longer as a summoner, the better.

Why do you care about the knockback boost? It is actually bad for melee, because it knocks enemies out of your small range, and if you can continuously whip something for longer as a summoner, the better.
The thing with knockback is, having too much of it is bad, but having too little is no better. You want to have just enough to keep enemies off of yourself, but also not too much so that they don't get knocked from your range. Whips, like minions, have pretty pathetic knockback (except for morning star), which means if a group of enemies attacks you, the only thing you can do to protect yourself is try to kill them before they reach you. Sure, you can dodge in open areas, but what about narrow caves and corridors of the dungeon? Sure, that 10% wouldn't completely turn the tides of every battle, but neither will they ruin everything by sending your enemy flying to the other side of the screen - this boost will slow enemies down and keep them from reaching the player for longer, and that's what matters.

Last edited:
View attachment 312017 Rifle Scope
I know that the point of this accessory is to be crafted into the Sniper Scope, but that is technically a tier above. The zoom feature isn't very helpful, because it has almost no effect in combat and while it can be used to find more ores with a Spelunker Potion, you can just use Binoculars which can be obtained way earlier in the game. I think that it should also provide a small auto-targeting effect for guns when an enemy is close to the cursor. This would not only make bullets like Crystal or Ichor a bit more useable during boss fights, but also make inaccurate guns such as the Chain Gun or Xenopopper not rely so heavily on Chlorophyte Bullets to be effective.
I don't think this needs any changes, it can be thrown onto a destroyer emblem immediatly, so its effects don't need to be strong, it also has a good niche against Betsy. You can stand on a platform with shroomite stealth and since that lowers your aggro betsy will completely focus the crystal this lets you stay far enough away to where betsy will never bump into you but you can still see and shoot at her.

View attachment 307136 Flesh Knuckles
Let's face it. Most players play singleplayer, for many reasons, like no one else they know can play with them, or they don't want to go through setting up servers, or people have bad internet connection, etc. The Putrid Scent is better than this accessory, because extra damage output is much better than a bit of extra defense, and the aggro-reducing effect actually does something in singleplayer. So I though that this accessory could provide a lifesteal effect when below 75% health, that starts very weak and gets stronger as your health goes down. This lifesteal shouldn't carry over to its tinkers, because they are both already great accessories.
no just no... life steal is a huge can of worms just replace defense with damage reduction if you want this to be more useful.

The reason the putrtid scent doesn't carry its damage and crit bonuses is because the sniper scope and magic quiver are much better accessories than the power glove and paladin's shield.

I don't think this needs any changes, it can be thrown onto a destroyer emblem immediatly, so its effects don't need to be strong, it also has a good niche against Betsy. You can stand on a platform with shroomite stealth and since that lowers your aggro betsy will completely focus the crystal this lets you stay far enough away to where betsy will never bump into you but you can still see and shoot at her.
One of the things I'm focusing on is making accessories that are quickly upgraded useful on their own.

Also in my playthroughs I don't fight Golem immediately after Plantera, not because he's hard but because defeating him triggers tier 3 OOA, allows Martian Probes to spawn, and makes the Cultists spawn at the Dungeon entrance, and I like to get the best Pre-Golem gear possible for those events.

Last edited:
Also in my playthroughs I don't fight Golem immediately after Plantera, not because he's hard but because defeating him triggers tier 3 OOA, allows Martian Probes to spawn, and makes the Cultists spawn at the Dungeon entrance, and I like to get the best Pre-Golem gear possible for those events.
I can understand not wanting to start t3 OOA, but martian probes are easy to avoid and you can't accidently start lunar events (even if you kill the cultists you can just teleport away from lunatic cultist and let him despawn).

One of the things I'm focusing on is making accessories that are quickly upgraded useful on their own.
Alright how about instead of giving the rifle scope a new effect why not make it obtainable earlier in progression?
If this thing is obtainable in pre hardmode it might see some use against Wall of Flesh, I'm thinking either in dungeon chests or sold by the arms dealer.
Also ranger is the only class that doesn't have a pre hardmode accesory dedicated to them.

Another accesory in this situation is the titan glove, I don't think anyone cares about this, it just piggy backs off of other accessories in the tinker tree. If this were put in say gold chests it could see some use in the early game where you often don't have the mobility to avoid everything and are more reliant on knockback.

Maybe it should give both damage reduction and defense, 8 of each. Putrid Scent gives both damage and crit, and having just damage reduction would be an inferior Worm Scarf.
As if flesh knuckles aren't already an inferior worm scarf, when in expert hardmode will you find an enemy that does less than 35 damage?
Putrid scent usually isn't the first damage accessory you equip, it's good because you can't stack multiple of the same emblem.
The same would be true if flesh knuckles had say 10% damage reduction, if someone wants more damage reduction than just their 1 worm scarf then the can stack. The black belt is already an inferior brain of confusion and that thing still gets used.

I think you could also transfer the damage reduction into its tinkers, right now the hero shield is just not as good for single player, which seemed to be the main complaint with the flesh knuckles. 4 defense is not worth the frozen turtle effect.
As for berzerker gloves 8 defense really doesn't do much for summoners when they already have low defense they'd appretiate the dr much more, and melee characters will usually go for the mechanical glove. 10% damage reduction is more competitve with 12% melee damage than 8 defense.

Alright how about instead of giving the rifle scope a new effect why not make it obtainable earlier in progression?
If this thing is obtainable in pre hardmode it might see some use against Wall of Flesh, I'm thinking either in dungeon chests or sold by the arms dealer.
Also ranger is the only class that doesn't have a pre hardmode accesory dedicated to them.

Another accesory in this situation is the titan glove, I don't think anyone cares about this, it just piggy backs off of other accessories in the tinker tree. If this were put in say gold chests it could see some use in the early game where you often don't have the mobility to avoid everything and are more reliant on knockback.
These are great ideas that I'll add right away, but I still feel that the Rifle Scope's effect isn't good enough.

Back
Top Bottom