tModLoader Chad's Furniture-and-More-Mod

gh.png

suggestion
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[doublepost=1501845369,1501845148][/doublepost]
Thanks for the idea, it will be added in the next update!
I might change the style of the pots a bit to match that of the plant pots already in the mod, though, if you don't mind?

Change style of the pots is a good idea.

Attachments

• gh.png
    gh.png
    916 bytes · Views: 183
  • gh.png
    gh.png
    916 bytes · Views: 175
Hi everybody, it has been a month (and a day) since the last update so usually this would be around the time I would release the next one, but I have run into kind of a roadblock, so to speak. I have reworked the code for carpets to fix fps issues, and was planning on also making them multiplayer-compatible while I'm at it. Problem is, my internet connection isn't good enough for me to actually be able to test them out. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it is actually a pretty big issue as I cannot work on multiplayer compatibility, and I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm thinking about maybe making carpets (and other things that are buggy in mp) uncraftable in multiplayer. They would still be obtainable and work properly in singleplayer, of course. The list of things that don't work in multiplayer (for as far as I know) would include carpets and mannequin heads (which I would make unobtainable in mp) and wardrobes (which would still be obtainable, but simply wouldn't work as substitutes for dressers). This way people could play the mod in multiplayer, hopefully without any bugs, but they could simply not access some of the content which is known to not work properly.

That said, even if these items were 'disabled' in multiplayer, there might be additional bugs that I do not know about yet. Perhaps some of these would make the mod simply unplayable in multiplayer. Even though I doubt they'd be that large, I expect some things still wouldn't work properly, which is why I'm kind of torn on this idea. What do you guys think I should do? Should I simply make the problematic items uncraftable in multiplayer until another option has presented itself? Or do you have any ideas as to what else I could do?

Regardless, the next update will take a while to come out. It will focus a bit on castles, and include (amongst other castle-y things) the horse statue suggested by @Mr. Melon, the large thrones and dining tables suggested by @Lunatic Lobbyist and the poker stands and wolf pelt suggested by @Marney, in addition to a lot of bug fixes, and the Lunatic Cultist Collectable Action Figure which means all main progression bosses will have a figure now.

TL;DR: Can't test multiplayer compatibility, not sure what to do, update will focus on castles but will take a while to come out.
FWIW, I <3 variety, so I'd be happy to see both (eg: similar to current, and these ones) added. :)
Some time ago I mentioned I am planning on releasing a garden-focused update some time after the next one. I want to add several different pots and plants in that update. For now, the only style will be that provided by @XZimur.
Will be added in the next update :happy:

Last edited:
Honestly, whatever you do, you'll get bug reports about it. There's always someone who won't read the warnings no matter how many you post. I'd go with disabling crafting for the known buggy stuff in MP, with an additional prominent notice about them on the original post, a "really at your own risk" MP disclaimer, and maybe even a note in the appropriate tooltips just for the people who will inevitably craft the items in SP and then move to MP. But maybe more testing of other potentially problematic items in MP would help you narrow down the cause over time?
If there are more problems than you anticipated, you can always retract MP support again, and at least then you'll know.

Agreed with Marney. @360Chadscope I empathize with you due to the fact my internet connection isn't stable enough to test things in mp myself (even though it's not that slow otherwise). So it's up to you whether you want to deal with people who don't read, and ignore them or repeat yourself to them when things go wrong in mp, or simply remove the items from mp for now. But I'd just disable them for now if I were you.

I'd also like to thank you again for all you've been working so hard on. Really looking forward to the castle-themed items in the next update, along with more garden/forest-themed items in the future. It's all looking and sounding incredible. :)

Honestly, whatever you do, you'll get bug reports about it. There's always someone who won't read the warnings no matter how many you post.
So true. Heck, you're inevitably going to get bug reports even when everything works perfectly, due to misunderstandings and human error on the user's end. :sigh:

For multiplayer testing, you could get other people to test your bug fixes by sending the mod file back & forth through something like discord
Also, if you are focusing on a castle themed update, may I suggest a model castle, or a dragon figure (aka Betsy)
OR one of my suggestions a while back, make a table likewise to the etherian war table but with a medievil landscape on it

For multiplayer testing, you could get other people to test your bug fixes by sending the mod file back & forth through something like discord
Also, if you are focusing on a castle themed update, may I suggest a model castle, or a dragon figure (aka Betsy)
OR one of my suggestions a while back, make a table likewise to the etherian war table but with a medievil landscape on it

I agree with this. A sort of "closed beta" would be the best way to test multiplayer fixes if you can't do it yourself. Or even an open beta released separately from the main version as the "Experimental" build. Heavy warnings and a disclaimer before you even get to the link, letting people know that it's expected to be buggy and have problems, with a form to fill out for reporting any problems that arise.

Also, bug report - or maybe more just an oversight. Vanilla beds will satisfy the need for a chair in a room. The canopy bed, however, does not.

Separate note, something I'd live to see for a castle update is painting objects in the style of tapestries and stained glass windows. I know there's already coloured glass in game, but a painting could do designs and shapes that a player-made window can't. It could also have a curved peak, which is something I associate with Gothic windows. Designing them to give off light during the day, and dim or darken at night would allow them to fake being "real" windows.

Now, here's some unrelated suggestions...

1. Copper pipes that work like pillars but can also go horizontal.
  2. Pneumatic mail stations that can attach to the above.
  3. Variant forms of some existing workstations to fit different furniture sets. For example;
    1. Cooking Pot as a modern stove, brick oven, or old-fashioned potbelly stove.
    2. Mechanical and clockwork versions of the Tinkerer's Workshop.
    3. Alchemy Table as a bar counter, complete with shelf of bottles.
    4. A lathe that functions as a Sawmill.
    5. Extractinator with a more "mad science", magical, or (again, since it's a style already in game) steampunk design.
    6. Etc...

Hi everybody, it has been a month (and a day) since the last update so usually this would be around the time I would release the next one, but I have run into kind of a roadblock, so to speak. I have reworked the code for carpets to fix fps issues, and was planning on also making them multiplayer-compatible while I'm at it. Problem is, my internet connection isn't good enough for me to actually be able to test them out. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it is actually a pretty big issue as I cannot work on multiplayer compatibility, and I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm thinking about maybe making carpets (and other things that are buggy in mp) uncraftable in multiplayer. They would still be obtainable and work properly in singleplayer, of course. The list of things that don't work in multiplayer (for as far as I know) would include carpets and mannequin heads (which I would make unobtainable in mp) and wardrobes (which would still be obtainable, but simply wouldn't work as substitutes for dressers). This way people could play the mod in multiplayer, hopefully without any bugs, but they could simply not access some of the content which is known to not work properly.

That said, even if these items were 'disabled' in multiplayer, there might be additional bugs that I do not know about yet. Perhaps some of these would make the mod simply unplayable in multiplayer. Even though I doubt they'd be that large, I expect some things still wouldn't work properly, which is why I'm kind of torn on this idea. What do you guys think I should do? Should I simply make the problematic items uncraftable in multiplayer until another option has presented itself? Or do you have any ideas as to what else I could do?

Regardless, the next update will take a while to come out. It will focus a bit on castles, and include (amongst other castle-y things) the horse statue suggested by @Mr. Melon, the large thrones and dining tables suggested by @Lunatic Lobbyist and the poker stands and wolf pelt suggested by @Marney, in addition to a lot of bug fixes, and the Lunatic Cultist Collectable Action Figure which means all main progression bosses will have a figure now.

TL;DR: Can't test multiplayer compatibility, not sure what to do, update will focus on castles but will take a while to come out.

Some time ago I mentioned I am planning on releasing a garden-focused update some time after the next one. I want to add several different pots and plants in that update. For now, the only style will be that provided by @XZimur.

Will be added in the next update :happy:

My next suggestion will be more epic than pots :naughty:

Honestly, whatever you do, you'll get bug reports about it. There's always someone who won't read the warnings no matter how many you post. I'd go with disabling crafting for the known buggy stuff in MP, with an additional prominent notice about them on the original post, a "really at your own risk" MP disclaimer, and maybe even a note in the appropriate tooltips just for the people who will inevitably craft the items in SP and then move to MP. But maybe more testing of other potentially problematic items in MP would help you narrow down the cause over time?
If there are more problems than you anticipated, you can always retract MP support again, and at least then you'll know.
Yeah, just letting people use (most of) the mod in multiplayer would be a good way of finding a lot of bugs. I hadn't looked at it like that yet :p
I will put warning signs all over the place, don't worry. In any case I'd advise people to make a backup of their worlds before using the mod in multiplayer.
Agreed with Marney. @360Chadscope I empathize with you due to the fact my internet connection isn't stable enough to test things in mp myself (even though it's not that slow otherwise). So it's up to you whether you want to deal with people who don't read, and ignore them or repeat yourself to them when things go wrong in mp, or simply remove the items from mp for now. But I'd just disable them for now if I were you.

I'd also like to thank you again for all you've been working so hard on. Really looking forward to the castle-themed items in the next update, along with more garden/forest-themed items in the future. It's all looking and sounding incredible. :)
So true. Heck, you're inevitably going to get bug reports even when everything works perfectly, due to misunderstandings and human error on the user's end. :sigh:
I'm glad that you understand. I think I might just add a multiplayer option in the config in Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Configs which, when enabled, would skip all incompatible content when the mod is loaded.
And no problem, I enjoy working on the mod :)

I could have other people test it for me, yeah.
Thanks for the ideas! I'll work on adding them in the next update.
I agree with this. A sort of "closed beta" would be the best way to test multiplayer fixes if you can't do it yourself. Or even an open beta released separately from the main version as the "Experimental" build. Heavy warnings and a disclaimer before you even get to the link, letting people know that it's expected to be buggy and have problems, with a form to fill out for reporting any problems that arise.
A closed beta is a good idea, yeah. It would require a bit of organizing, though, so I don't think it can happen for this update. Maybe in the near future, though.
Also, bug report - or maybe more just an oversight. Vanilla beds will satisfy the need for a chair in a room. The canopy bed, however, does not.
This will be fixed in the next update, thanks for reporting :)
Separate note, something I'd live to see for a castle update is painting objects in the style of tapestries and stained glass windows. I know there's already coloured glass in game, but a painting could do designs and shapes that a player-made window can't. It could also have a curved peak, which is something I associate with Gothic windows. Designing them to give off light during the day, and dim or darken at night would allow them to fake being "real" windows.
That's a really good idea! Though wouldn't you be able to see the wall they're placed on through the glass? Or would they not be transparent enough to see it?
Suggestion... again:
View attachment 179229
Good pics
Those look really nice! The Painter will sell them in the next update. What would they each be called, though? And all paintings in the game (in vanilla and in the mod) have a name in their tooltip that is based on the name (or alias) of the spriter who created the painting. What would the tooltip of yours' say?

That's a really good idea! Though wouldn't you be able to see the wall they're placed on through the glass? Or would they not be transparent enough to see it?

Well, a traditional stained glass window doesn't really show through, so I'd imagine not. If you wanted it to show the world background behind it, there's probably ways to fake it, but honestly as long as it looks like a stained glass window and brightens and dims at the right times, people will get the idea.

It has been a while since I posted any actual spoilers for the next update, so I guess here we go
will princess, sandstone, and mystic furniture sets have the rest fo their pieces in soon? I'd love to make a full house out of them
I'm finally done with the third (and last) furniture set; The mystical set, which counts a mere 6 items in 1.3.1, but I have cranked up to the full 20 in 1.4.
Before:
upload_2017-8-5_23-35-26.png

After:
upload_2017-8-5_23-34-50.png

Also introducing the limestone 'set':
upload_2017-8-5_23-38-20.png

Including 3 different types of blocks, from left to right: Limestone Brick, Limestone Arch and Limestone Entablature, and a fourth block containing a mix of all three as an example of how they're used together.
There's also 2 different types of limestone brick walls: The Limestone Small Brick Wall, and the Limestone Brick Wall.
In addition to this, there's 6 different 'furniture' items which can be placed on limestone bricks as exterior decoration.
Well, a traditional stained glass window doesn't really show through, so I'd imagine not. If you wanted it to show the world background behind it, there's probably ways to fake it, but honestly as long as it looks like a stained glass window and brightens and dims at the right times, people will get the idea.
Fair point, they don't really show through. That solves that issue, then :happy:
I'll probably add a couple of stained glass designs in the next update. Is there anything in particular that you'd like to see on a stained glass window?

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-5_23-38-20.png
    upload_2017-8-5_23-38-20.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 175
It has been a while since I posted any actual spoilers for the next update, so I guess here we go

I'm finally done with the third (and last) furniture set; The mystical set, which counts a mere 6 items in 1.3.1, but I have cranked up to the full 20 in 1.4.
Also introducing the limestone 'set':
View attachment 179246
Including 3 different types of blocks, from left to right: Limestone Brick, Limestone Arch and Limestone Entablature, and a fourth block containing a mix of all three as an example of how they're used together.
There's also 2 different types of limestone brick walls: The Limestone Small Brick Wall, and the Limestone Brick Wall.
In addition to this, there's 6 different 'furniture' items which can be placed on limestone bricks as exterior decoration.

Is there anything in particular that you'd like to see on a stained glass window?

The limestone stuff looks great, but may I suggest you call them "limestone brick" and "limestone slab" walls? That is consistent with the grey brick / slab, and sandstone brick / slab designations.

I'd like to see stained glass decorations that feature things of Terraria: animals, plants etc. Alternately, something that I could place ... anything, really, into, and have it rendered using the regular icon, just sized appropriately, y'know?

The limestone stuff looks great, but may I suggest you call them "limestone brick" and "limestone slab" walls? That is consistent with the grey brick / slab, and sandstone brick / slab designations.
I decided against that since the block itself is called limestone brick, and I thought it would be a bit confusing if the wall which directly corresponded to the block would be called something different. I might add a block version for the small bricks, though, in which case the current limestone brick block would be renamed to slab.
I'd like to see stained glass decorations that feature things of Terraria: animals, plants etc. Alternately, something that I could place ... anything, really, into, and have it rendered using the regular icon, just sized appropriately, y'know?
Ooh, that's a really cool idea! I'm not sure if that's possible, though :/ It would be awesome if you could just put in any item at all, but that might just be beyond my programming capabilities.
I love the gargoyles! `:) Do they have a special interaction with waterfalls or during rain, so a little waterfall comes out of their mouths?
Funny that you mention it, a small stream of water does come out of the hanging gargoyle's mouth when it's raining, yeah :D
I intended for this to be an easter egg of sorts for people to find once the update came out, but I guess you figured it out before I even released the update :p
I like this idea! In fact, why not just make em' toggleable like fountains?
I could do that, too. That might even be better, as it'll give the player some say in whether or not water is coming out.
- large front-facing throne chairs fit for a king, higher and wider than the usual
(sorry for quoting a post from 3 pages back) How large are you imagining them, exactly?

Funny that you mention it, a small stream of water does come out of the hanging gargoyle's mouth when it's raining, yeah :D
I intended for this to be an easter egg of sorts for people to find once the update came out, but I guess you figured it out before I even released the update :p
Oh my goodness, oops, haha, sorry! `:happy: What can I say, gmta `;)

How large are you imagining them, exactly?
I was picturing something like these. Nothing too extreme from the vanilla throne in Terraria, but something somewhat larger/taller (at least 50% taller, if not more), and more elaborate (the vanilla version basically just looked like generic larger chair). I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind, but feel free to make variations in the size -- or other styles as well for that matter:

Gold-Lion-Throne-psd98981.png
mYaUBGszhJJmRXPOTgwH3Dw.jpg
d23a05e5b207faec0d63c4c3bdbaf55c.jpg
Ornate-gold-and-purple-throne_THR22.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom