Official Community Poll - Removal of Most Likes/Messages Tabs

Should the Most Messages/Most Likes tabs be removed from the Members page?

• YES - I support removal of BOTH of these tabs

Votes: 279 43.3%
  • NO - I want the tabs to remain visible as they are

Votes: 366 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it would take so much time to install those addons just to remove 2 similiar features, you basically don't change much aside from one page.

I doubt it would take so much time to install those addons just to remove 2 similiar features, you basically don't change much aside from one page.

That's assuming nothing goes wrong in the process. You do realize these pages are generated by code, right?

These are not hard HTMLs that sit on a server. The server runs code, generates a temporary page from a template+data and then sends that page to your computer. Changing code could have a lot of bad effects if it doesn't work properly.

That's assuming nothing goes wrong in the process. You do realize these pages are generated by code, right?

These are not hard HTMLs that sit on a server. The server runs code, generates a temporary page from a template+data and then sends that page to your computer. Changing code could have a lot of bad effects if it doesn't work properly.
Basically yes, but it depends how do you change the code, still making backup and testing it within short duration could be a safe way to see if nothing goes wrong with it, if it does, then there starts the harder part. But on the other hand, maitanances aren't anything new on TCF and they do last long sometimes, I'm pretty sure people have other stuff to do while it's undergoing and it's always worth trying. Besides, you should read previous posts, to have some clue about why it's actually bad. Though I doubt you'd care about it.

Read what posts? The posts in this thread?

I did read them.

Okay, one button doesn't actually do anything since all trophies give 0 points. Meh. If it don't work, don't click on it. Not such a big deal.
The other button displays posts with the most likes. So.... what? Okay, maybe Most Likes != Most Helpful Post and sometimes people spam likes, but is it really THAT big of a problem that we have to mess around trying to remove the button?

That sounds like something the moderators could deal with on a case-by-case basis if like spamming/farming becomes a problem again.

I'm mostly neutral to this, but if they're going to be removed they need some form of replacement, since for the two other tabs, only one of them actually shows stuff.

I'm rather neutral and could probably go either-or. But... I'm voting for the negatory because plugins and mods can have unintended negative effects.

I vote to substitute the first option with "Yes and finally."

I'm not a big fan of leaderboards, they bring in unnecessary competition between users. They don't encourage good behaviors, but only rules abuse. Multiple times we had people trying to maximize their posts number for scoring and like farming reasons and I'm fairly sure without any scale of valor as a reference, it will cut down the habit, not entirely, but at least to an extent.

I say yes. I don't look at those tabs much myself, and when I do its just because I remembered they existed and I am curious as to who's where.

I say yes because of the whole competition thing. I'm not fond of it, and people could(or already have) abuse it. Like people being mean to the 'top' people, or the 'top' people being mean to anybody not on the list.

Hum hum, I want to add to the discussion, but I feel like as one of the people on the list, I feel like whatever I might say will be used against me one way or another because people could either assume "You just want it there because you're one of them!" or "You say you don't want it there when you're one of them, just to look good"
Idk, I might be guessing wildly, but people have been jumping the gun alot lately(ironic, I know), which makes many uncomfortable with wording their opinions like this.
I might vote for something, I might not, I'm kinda proud to have been able to work hard enough to get on the list, but the fact that I'm actually uncomfortable with stating my opinion about this matter might be just because of the list -- people know who to go for if they had something against those who are better off/gets more attention than them.

It'd been nice if the OP had included the reason why these tabs are up for removal.

Is there a reason they need removed? It isn't like they take up a lot of screen space and if we're in danger of more forum downtime and/or problems, then why screw with it? Why not just leave it as-is if ain't hurting anything?

They are up for removal because they HAVE caused issues in the past, and there is a notable distaste for them among the user base. If there are enough people voting for their removal that its enough to win the vote, I think that's enough of a reason to remove them. This was something we've been internally planning to do for some time, on and off, but decided that we'd give the forum members a chance to make the call instead.

As for my two cents (rather, pennies), I'm indifferent as to whether or not both tabs remain or are removed, but as has been brought up a few times, they do serve a function, regardless of how minute these functions are. The 'Most Points' and 'Authors' tab do not have this caveat, so if anything, they should be removed first.

The Most Points tab can't be removed in the current version of Xenforo, and we will not be able to upgrade for some time, or until we find a way to make the update compatible with our pre-existing systems. So its not an option for removal, whether we want to or not (at this time).

The Authors tab was also unused, but it was actually brought to our attention recently, and it is possible that we may look into actually using it. At this time, I'm not aware of whether it can or cannot be removed. Regardless, the vote is "remove or not remove". There is no other option at this time.

Even though I'd love to have "Most Point" tab removed, due to its complete lack of usefulness, could it really be deleted ( even through addons ) without interfering into current trophies? Because I think that's what staff here fears of.

We aren't sure, and we have no way of experimenting with that at the moment. Suffice to say, as noted above, it cannot be removed right now.

I'm mostly neutral to this, but if they're going to be removed they need some form of replacement, since for the two other tabs, only one of them actually shows stuff.

There are no replacements planned, nor is there any intention at this time to seek out possible replacements. The other Points tab, as stated, can't be removed, and we see no reason to remove the Staff tab.

They are up for removal because they HAVE caused issues in the past, and there is a notable distaste for them among the user base. If there are enough people voting for their removal that its enough to win the vote, I think that's enough of a reason to remove them. This was something we've been internally planning to do for some time, on and off, but decided that we'd give the forum members a chance to make the call instead.

If it causes such distaste and so many troubles (odd I've never heard of them other than that deal a long time ago that was eventually mostly stamped out), then why do we even have the "Like" feature anyways?

Why not just get rid of the Like button entirely?

I didn't even know this existed until it was pointed out.

Voting YES (remove) for most messages. It's kind of irrelevant. (No offence intended to those on the list.) People can accumulate large amounts of messages by virtue of what and where they post. The leader of a clan, creator of a mod, etc. may have a disproportionately higher number of messages. As will a prolific poster who posts one-sentence replies like "I agree".

Voting YES (remove) for most likes, but with a caveat.
The problem with "Like" is that it's too generic. Someone that makes a good suggestion that is Liked a hundred times has a different meaning to someone who provides technical help and is Liked a hundred times. Like can mean "I agree", "Thank you", "That's funny", "That worked", "That's helpful" ... . Plus a few people on the list are staff members - generally speaking, a staff/admin/mod that posts is almost guaranteed a pile of likes. It's too generic. It might be better if most likes were recorded per forum instead of the site as a whole, or as an average of likes per message.

I'm in agreement with @ppowersteef -- I think the trophies are sufficient to indicate minimum messages, minimum likes received, and so on simply through the title the person uses - if they choose to use it.

I would like it to stay, if you want to find the latest trend, you could look there, I don't see any harm coming out of it.

I'm voting 'Yes', for 2 main reasons.
(I'll mainly be focusing on likes here, just because I've seen more problems arise out of likes than messages. Some of the points I make, however, may still apply to messages.)

1. TCF is NOT Terraria Online.

Terraria Online had it's own fair share of problems with competition, though it was even more concentrated around likes than messages (Forum Games were super OP, so no-one really took the messages tab too seriously). There were a lot of the problems around 'like farming' in TO that weren't addressed, mainly because no-one saw any harm in it at the time. But it did arise to a lot a competition between members with massive like counts, with one member even trying to obtain the unobtainable 'Like goal' trophy.

Is that healthy for a forum? In my opinion, no, it is not.

As already mentioned, this was mirrored here in TCF for a time, until moderator intervention slowed that to a halt. But why did it start in the first place? *Hint hint nudge nudge*

2. What is the point of a like?

Well, as Sigma said (to take him a little out of context):
Likes can mean "I agree", "Thank you", "That's funny", "That worked", "That's helpful"...
They're not there to see who's better. They're not there to reach a certain 'like goal'.

They're there to say something without actually saying it.

That's my two cents on the matter. Now, on to actually voting in the poll...

Yes, I am okay with these tabs being removed, as I feel they don't serve a very important purpose. It's basically showing someone who posts a lot, or someone who gets the most likes. I thought it was cool for the time, but it just feels like it's there to promote the big people of TCF, while everyone else acts as disciples of these well known people. Although, I'm not bashing on any of the well known people of TCF, in fact, I really look up to these people, but I feel like some people just don't get acknowledged as most people know about the big guys of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom