• Journey's End on PC - Find info here and here. Please report bugs and issues for PC 1.4 and 1.4.1 to Re-Logic here.
  • Journey's End on Mobile - Find info here. Report bugs for Mobile 1.4 to DR Studios at this link and give as much detail as possible.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Console and Switch - The latest news can be found here. To report a bug, please use this link.

Corruption or Crimson? Which do you prefer?

Corruption or Crimson

• Corruption

Votes: 165 45.6%
  • Crimson

Votes: 197 54.4%

• Total voters
I prefer the Crimson, I prefer the atmosphere and theme, and the chasms are easy to navigate and there's plenty of space in the central room. The Corruption is very repetitive, every enemy (even the boss) is based off the Eater of Souls, whereas the Crimson has much more variety, and I enjoy the Brain of Cthulhu boss fight more than the Eater of Worlds. Also, most of the Corruption's pre-Hardmode loot is just plain worse, because the Crimson's loot has better stats. Also, the Crimson Heart is much faster than the Shadow Orb, and what's the point of light if most of the time it's nowhere near the player? In Hardmode, the Corruption still has no variety, Corrupters are just stronger Eaters of Souls, World Feeders are just stronger Devourers which are just longer Eaters of Souls, and Clingers are simply stretchy Eaters of Souls, whereas the Crimson has unique enemies, not just slight variations of the most basic enemy in the biome. Even after its nerf, I think Ichor is still better than Cursed Flames, because Cursed Flames is just 24 extra DPS, whereas Ichor increases damage by 7.5 per shot, which when combined with high-speed weapons, allows much more DPS than Cursed Flames can. Fetid Baghnakhs have incredibly high DPS, and the extra range of the Chain Guillotines isn't enough to make it on par with the extraordinary damage output of its alternative. Even though the Scourge of the Corrupter is a very powerful weapon, the Vampire Knives are still better because of the lifesteal which makes you almost immortal.

However! If we look at certain differences, Corruption wins. Apart from the light pets, the Corruption has better Shadow Orb/Crimson Heart loot. The Putrid Scent is better than the Flesh Knuckles, because 5% increased damage and critical hit chance (which can be viewed as 10% increased damage output) is much better than 8 defense. Also, the Demon Alters are all in a line, which makes it easy to smash a lot of them quickly before being killed by Wraiths.

Last edited:
It's funny, now that I think about it, but I've always found either World Evil to be pretty inconsequential, mostly being a person who plays Summoner Class. If I had to make a choice between the two, I'd be down to things that are pretty laughable. For example, I really like the "Smoothie of Darkness" food item, because of the meme, the aesthetic & the bias of having a smoothie shop in one of my older Worlds. 😂🥤

20200509123154_1a.jpg

I also like how it looks & feels "rotting", but like... how something else is being created from that rot, & it's not just something deteriorating. The Corruption just feels like a whole bunch of "eww"? The Crimson on the other hand just feels like a biological experiment gone wrong. It's more of the, "what if we were shrunk down & got to explore the inner workings of the human body-type eww", but not really like... this is some evil s**t-type evil?

I mean, that's not 100% accurate, because the Crimson is still scary. Like a biology, seeing baby teeth still-inside-the-skull, & squiggly germs fever-dream. The Corruption though, is like picking up an apple & seeing it rotted from the inside out, with maggots & slime-type scary. I lke 'em both, but would pick Corruption if I had to chose one (plus, it came first so...).

MagicasquirrelTMT

Official Terrarian
whereas Ichor increases damage by 15 per shot

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure enemy defence always works like if it's in normal mode (2 defence = 1 damage reduced), with higher difficulties just raising the amount of defence. This means that Ichor will increase damage against an enemy by 7.5 on any difficulty, assuming the enemy has 15 or more defence. Overall, Ichor is better for fast firing weapons, while cursed flames win in situations where you're using a weapon that's either fairly slow but hard hitting, or is just hard to land on an enemy.

whereas the Crimson has unique enemies, not just stronger versions of other enemies

...Excuse me?
Face monsters are just zombies on steroids. Blood crawlers are just wall crawlers, herplings are just derplings, blood jelly and blood feeder don't need any commentary, and floaty gross are just wraiths. The only really unique enemies are ichor stickers. That's 1 more unique enemy than the corruption, but still, stating that crimson isn't stealing from other biomes is just not a correct statement to make. (The overall variety does make it feel slightly less stale, but that doesn't help this particular argument)

...Excuse me?
Face monsters are just zombies on steroids. Blood crawlers are just wall crawlers, herplings are just derplings, blood jelly and blood feeder don't need any commentary, and floaty gross are just wraiths. The only really unique enemies are ichor stickers. That's 1 more unique enemy than the corruption, but still, stating that crimson isn't stealing from other biomes is just not a correct statement to make. (The overall variety does make it feel slightly less stale, but that doesn't help this particular argument)
Sure, they are versions of other enemies found in different biomes, but they're not all almost exactly the same, like the Corruption enemies. None of the Crimson's enemies are even remotely similar to each other. Also, I wasn't trying to say that it has completely unique enemies you can't find variants of anywhere else, instead I was trying to say that there's much more variety in the Crimson instead of a huge emphasis on one kind of enemy.

MagicasquirrelTMT

Official Terrarian
Clingers are simply corrupted Snatchers/Man Eaters/Angry Trappers
Crimson has unique enemies, not just stronger versions of other enemies

I think the combination of these two things is what made me misunderstand what you were going for.

Overall though, I feel like the enemy lineups for both biomes fit in extremely well. Corruption has more of a disease-like thematic, and diseases mutate, so it makes sense that most of it's new enemies are just stronger, mutated versions of what it had before, as well as a few new additions such as slimers or clingers. The crimson on the other hand just seeks to consume, as such it devours many different creatures from various biomes to increase it's range of influence and cover all the different sides, such as water, air, enclosed spaces etc.

CorruptMimic22

Retinazer
Crimson is more unique because it come after the game release, they (505 games i think idk) evolved since the corruption creation and obviously it would be more unique

Top Bottom