Game Mechanics Double the amount of ammo slots

J Bame

Terrarian
Picture you are in 1.2: 4 ammo slots are more than enough, you very rarely put anything in there other than Arrows and Bullets, and even more rarely do you need multiple ammo types at once.

Come 1.3 and 1.4 and a lot has been added: Utility rockets, bait, gel for flamethrowers, darts, clentaminator solutions... but this is still manageable. You dont need easy access to most of these things all the time, and you can still make due with just 1 ammo type for each weapon.

Now imagine 1.4.4, the present. There are loads of bait types available: nightcrawlers, worms, fireflies, buggies, sluggies, master bait (when you are still in prehardmode and dont have dozens of it from crates). Ammo balance has improved significantly and now you do want to keep multiple ammo types in your slots for easy access (for the cleanest example, swapping between High Vel Bullets and Crystal bullets). There have been several solutions added to the game. Even minor things like the new flares or wire being placeable in ammo slots add up.

Doing a ranger playthrough you will find yourself fighting to keep important things in those 4 slots. Most people want bait there for QoL; you dont always want to use things like Jester's Arrows so you keep alternatives there for easy access, you may also want some ammo for a tool there (clentaminator, Destructive rockets, flares, etc). And God forbid you are using more than 1 type of ranger weapon so you need tons of ammo from multiple slots. Suddenly 4 slots starts to feel really small, and that's because it is.

But wait! Doesnt this add 4 new inventory slots altogether? Meaning inventory management keeps getting powercrept?

Let me be real here. We now have Piggy Banks being more convenient than ever, Safes, Void Bag being practically a second inventory at this point, Defender's Forge if you are willing to put in some effort, Return Potions allowing you to go back and clean your inventory at any time... Inventory issues past the very early game are a thing of the past, now it's a matter of staying organized.

4 slots wont make or break anything beyond keeping your inventory cleaner: it will make items like Destructive Rockets and Clentaminator solutions easier to carry around. It will make ranger gameplay more fun because you can carry all the ammo you need. It will make early fishing more fun because you can put all your bait types right next to each other where they can easily be swapped around instead of being scattered in the inventory.

Last edited:
as someone who doesn't really play ranger, i think this is a solid idea, as i usually have gel, fallen stars, and wire in my ammo inventory slots, which means i can only have one ammo slot for whatever random ammo item decides to intrude in my inventory while breaking pots, meaning all of the other ones will take slots for things that are more useful to me, like dirt and stone blocks.

yes i am serious about that last part too, i actually use dirt and stone blocks somewhat often

yeah i agree
i ALWAYS put gel in an ammo slot, no exceptions, but i only now know you can put bait in there lmao
double the slots actually would be the right amount imo, enough to fit two kinds of special ammo each for arrows and bullets, plus endless quiver and pouch if those run out, leaving 2 slots for other stuff (gel, wires, etc)

I don't think that anyone would reasonably be against more Ammo Slots, but perhaps having them be accessible from the very beginning would be a bit controversial?

I don't personally think it's a bad idea, but it would be a bit of a missed opportunity, if the idea wasn't "progression locked" in some way.
  • Perhaps have the item be a perma-buff similar to Demon Heart or Artisan Loaf [as suggested earlier], perhaps "The D**ty Magazine" item.
  • Perhaps make the item only be obtainable from an unpopular portion of the Map, or from content that is often overlooked?
  • pre- to early-Hardmode seem like pretty decent places to put such an item, so that it's rewarding to get, but doesn't understay its welcome.
  • could even possibly be a Shimmer Transmutation item, to remain more consistent with other, newer perma-Buffs?

I feel like lava fishing is the biggest offender here. Having to fill my inventory with multiple types of weird bait has annoyed me countless times.
I also like to keep a backup Endless Musket Pouch/Quiver in there if I can.

Support. I personally think it should either be a base change or a permanent upgrade from a chest or NPC. Locking QoL like this behind an accessory or shimmer upgrade seems silly to me.

I really don't have any problem with adding more ammo slots, as long as we don't pretend it actually makes ammo management easier. Your whole inventory is technically "ammo slots." It's just a small amount of extra storage for ammo-type items. That's totally fine.

Agreed. I am also a person who puts gel and fallen stars there, as well as the many wooden arrows i get from pots and i am just too lazy to get rid of. I am doing a calw.ity ranger playthrough right now, and I agree. Star cannon, bullets, and arrows take up most of it, and with a gel there for flame throwers, i can not use anything else in there. ✅

Would prevent me from having random junk clogging my ammo slots when I'm not even ranger. Great idea overall

I usually have more than 4 kinds of paint in my inventory when building, so more ammo slots would be great! It'd help me to keep them in one place and switch paints easily.

It's a big change, and as a ranger main, i totally agree, i have way too much ammo at disposal and sometimes when switching guns and armors, I also need to change ammo. This action is boring and for nothing, we should double the amount of ammo slots

Back
Top Bottom