Drow Rules Terraria Challenge

VictorLes

The Destroyer
hello this is not a challenge from me, sorry if i post in wrong topic,if you want the original its here:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2400232

------------------------------------------------------
For people who enjoy playing this game but need to increase the difficulty, the game designers of Terraria provided us players with a choice between Softcore, Mediumcore, and Hardcore characters. But for more variety, a player (or group of players) could play under certain rules/restrictions in order to make the game more challenging, creating intriguing new situations in which to work through. Once upon a time, I beat Zelda II with a Sword Power of One....

The point of this challenge: To start the game from scratch in a new world, with a new character, and to beat the Wall of Flesh without ever setting foot above ground.

Drow are dark elves in fantasy novels/games that live underground, never seeing the light of day (except when they attack surface dwellers in raids), harvesting the natural resources under the surface to survive and thrive. Which may mean nothing to you, except that in Terraria, most of your time is probably spent in the ground.

So when you first create your character, you're above ground! AAH! Being birthed is a bright and chaotic experience. Now, let's go hide underground. So right away, take that copper pickaxe you've been given and dig down at an angle, until the background behind you becomes rocks filled with dirt, which begins approximately at sea level.

Rule #1: Once below the plain dirt wall, you will not again rise above the top of the dirt-and-rock background until the Wall of Flesh is destroyed.

Well, almost everything you need is below: ore, mushrooms, all of the other materials too. There just two things that you still really need.

One, you need wood. And where is wood? There are some small areas surrounded by wood, housing a chest, but it will likely take you some time before you find one, so making better gear will have to wait. Wood is a rare commodity to be rationed carefully now.

The more immediate need is light, and if you did dig a hole from spawn, you're already in the dark. So you need a torch, unless you want to really go the dark elf route and start out with a Mining Helmet (so you can have "darkvision").

Rule #2: Another character can bring you one torch (hard), a stack of torches (medium), or a Mining Helmet (easy) when you begin the character. Or, you can create a single torch with gel and wood, then throw away the rest of the wood you have when you dig down.

I mean, you've got to be able to see, unless you're real hardcore. But trying to deal with a lack of wood is an interesting situation: trying to get to where you can build a work station so that you can begin making things is an early goal. And you have to do without much of the above-ground items that you're used to having.

Free Advice:
1. You won't be using wood platforms, so don't dig straight down. You'll be doing a lot of digging at an angle.
2. You can't make hardly anything until you can make a wood bench, so dig ferociously looking for that first bit of wood!
3. A single torch means that you'll be putting it down and moving it a lot. You'll find some more soon, and glowsticks besides, but avoid water until you get more!
4. Stockpile any wood, because you need it to make better pickaxes and all of your crafting stations. You will probably always need more wood.
5. You can't have NPCs until you can build a work bench so that you can make background wall, then you can just make a stone and stonewall cubicle anywhere.
6. After you do start your "town", leave the area for a while so that the NPC can reappear there. But each building needs precious wood, so grow your town judiciously.
7. Stear clear of the dungeon so that Skeletron doesn't insta-kill you.
8. Goblins? Blood moons? Time of day??? If you're far enough below ground, who cares? Just make sure to build a bed as soon as possible. You're a caveman now. You "might" be able to reach a shadow orb without breaking Rule #1, but you can't get to any meteorite yet.

Rule #3: Once you do defeat the Wall of Flesh, now you can go above ground, go into the corruption, desert, dungeon, and floating islands. But I bet you'll find it strange to maneuver such open areas now....

So... are you up to the challenge?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did it some months ago, and i can say it was a pretty fun challenge, but it kinda lost it's purpose when i beat the WoF.

Moderator Edit: Second thread merged with first starting here

Hi,

I've recently started a new character and I wanted to give myself a challenge so I decided on the Drow Challenge as it appealed the most to me
But recently I've encountered something that I haven't been able to find a rule on

In the drow challenge you're able to get resources underground, and you're not allowed to go above ground, most of your wood would come
from things like underground houses and Trees that spawned in the Jungle, but next to my spawn there's a living tree, I can't decide if I want
to take the wood from it or not, because I'm not sure if it would break the rules of the challenge.

Any ideas on what I should do? I'll leave it untouched for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would think the tree above ground might be against that set of rules.

Although the roots below ground would be fair game I would imagine; at least to a certain point. Depends on the depth of the roots. After all, too close to the surface might be borderline going against that.

is my thoughts on that situation.:dryadtongue:

There is actually a previously existing thread of this; however, since its inactive, I'm going to merge the two topics together rather than closing this one. @Lunar Melain, don't want you to get confused and wonder where your thread went. :)

Back
Top Bottom