NPCs & Enemies Enigma Armor

Speedrun

Terrarian
I would suggest not a specific enemie, but rather a new kind of event achievement plus rare drop for players that strife for the ultimate Gear.

Every time you kill a boss (post-moonlord, expert mode), you trigger an event that ends if you dont kill another boss 5 minutes after you killed the last one. If you achieve to kill all ingame bosses (not counting event bosses lik easter or Frost Moon, just storyline bosses) in this timeframe (you need to kill and summon a new boss in this period), you get the chance to get a rare item if the last boss you summoned and killed where the Moon Lord (the battle against the Moon Lord would be then of course expandet by maybe 2-3 minutes, given to the summoning time. But in the end, Top-Gear players should be able to kill the Moon Lord in a couple of seconds together with the piles). Dropchance may be 0,025%, like the coingun, and would be the ultimate challenge to obtain it. You would need to do this event at least some dozenz of times to get the drop.

I have something like the Enigma-Armor in mind, which, combined with the foot- and Headgear of ether the Vortex, Nebula, Stardust or Solar Armorset provides you with the same boni on your status, but increases that by a good portion. Would be pretty OP in PVP and PVE, but i think if you calculate how hard it is to obtain it, its just fair to give it this strenght.

Also, i would suggest that you get an Ingame-Achievement that has some value. If you obtain the Enigma-Armor without this achievement, it should deal 9000 damage a second to the player and inflict him with the moonbite-debuff, only if you truely get the armor you will be able to wear it, and the achievement is only obtainable if the Enigma-Armor is dropped.

I hope this makes some sense, i got the Name "Enigma-Armor" from the Super Nintendo Game "Terranigma", where this armor is a piece of energy that seperated from the Big Bang and was a gift from the God of Light to the God of Humanity after he created the first Humans. Its the ultimate Gear in this game and beats any other armor by a good portion.

The achievement could be named "Peacekeeper" or maybe "God of Battle"

I wouldn't expect any YouTube tutorials to this armor to pop up in the first couple of months after implementation due to the fact of the Debuff and the really hard circumstances to obtain it.

Last edited:
This just seems like an unnecessary reward for a rather obscure event you have proposed. The reward itself being so rare that no one in the right mind would strive to obtain it. Making something blatantly overpowered is generally a no-go, especially when one attempts to balance it with a low drop rate, making it seem almost pointless(not to mention that killing bosses 5 minutes within each other is already tedious enough due to the fact that various environmental conditions including time are required.) The end-game gear we have as a reward for beating the Moon Lord a few times is already good enough and Re-Logic has already confirmed the fact that Moon Lord is the final boss, therefore having the best rewards, regardless of suggestions from players. Considering this, why should we be rewarded for speed killing the other bosses if they are essentially cakewalks? I don't see the practical application this would have. Doing the 5 minute challenge you proposed seems more suitable as a personal achievement.

This just seems like an unnecessary reward for a rather obscure event you have proposed. The reward itself being so rare that no one in the right mind would strive to obtain it. Making something blatantly overpowered is generally a no-go, especially when one attempts to balance it with a low drop rate, making it seem almost pointless(not to mention that killing bosses 5 minutes within each other is already tedious enough due to the fact that various environmental conditions including time are required.) The end-game gear we have as a reward for beating the Moon Lord a few times is already good enough and Re-Logic has already confirmed the fact that Moon Lord is the final boss, therefore having the best rewards, regardless of suggestions from players. Considering this, why should we be rewarded for speed killing the other bosses if they are essentially cakewalks? I don't see the practical application this would have. Doing the 5 minute challenge you proposed seems more suitable as a personal achievement.

I understand your point, just wanna say that it shouldnt be "overpowered", just giving some extra points to the Lunar-Armors, so you can achieve new heights in maximum defense/damage output. And this is exactly the point, only really Hardcore Fans that are willing to grind for this last piece of armor should given the opportunity to maximize there equipment.

I mean, most of the players use only equipment/weapons they feel comfortable with, i rarely see people really maximizing there stats in a strategic way (i do alot of speedruns and guides to the ultimate Gear for all kinds of situations, therefore i think i know how the maximum damage output/defense capabilitys should look like) which implements the thought that it wouldn't bother casual gamers when there is a gear they cant obtain through normal gameplay.

The most laughes i got was when i watched a Video on YouTube where a Streamer cheated and made his Terrablade doing 700 damage per hit, claiming to have the highest damage possible ingame. You can achieve a three times higher DPS with the right Ranger equipment and weapons

[doublepost=1547752020,1547751886][/doublepost]I mean, how many people are getting in expert mode to the Moon Lord without dieing on the way ?

Last edited:
Also, there is allready some sort of boss-rush event in another game when i remember right. In Castlevania, Dawn of Souls you can, after beating the game with all 3 characters play another mode called "Boss-Rush". You need to kill all (something around 17 i think ?) bosses in about 8 minutes in a row to obtain the ultimate weapon existing in the game. Its not that overpowered, but gives you the opportunity to set new records in the Boss-Rush mode.

I remember that i played this mode a couple of hundrets of times just to get this weapon, which also not dropped every time you beat the mode. And it was horribly hard, maybe got it 5-6 times during that Period and in the last fight i obtained the Weapon.

You see, its not rly new to the gaming industry to insert such a gamemode, and from the graphics and fighting system Dawn of Souls has no difference to Terraria.

With post moon lord gear, I don't see much of a challenge in killing the EOC. It sounds very, very boring.

From your comment i can tell that u didnt read and understood my proposal. I did not say anything about the EoC
[doublepost=1547763496,1547763180][/doublepost]I said all storyline bosses in expert mode, within 5 minutes of a timeframe before spawning the next boss. Means 11 bosses defeating including lunar event and most of them during nighttime. 0.025% dropchance for the new item if moonlord is killed. You need to learn how to read properly dude

I don't think a five minute limit would work, not without serious preparation. For example, Duke Fishron requires a Truffle Worm in the ocean, Golem requires a power cell at the Altar and WoF needs a Guide Voodoo Doll in the underworld. You'd need to have the items ready in advance and probably a teleportation system. Finding a Plantera Bulb could be near-impossible in any given timeframe. At least five bosses can only be summoned at night, so if you miss something, it's longer than five minutes until the next night.

Drop rate of 0.025% is way too low for something requiring that level of effort.

Some kind of boss rush event akin to the Pumpkin/Frost Moons could work though. It'd provide a limited time to defeat all bosses in a row, with a new boss spawning after the previous one is defeated. Might have to bump up their stats if you're after a challenge, cause everything up to and including Lunatic Cultist can be killed in a few seconds with something like the Solar Eruption.

0.025% dropchance for the new item if moonlord is killed.
Let's say it takes 10 minutes to finish this boss gauntlet. If the new item has a 0.025% drop rate, then you would have to complete this challenge an average of 2,772 times in order to have a 50% chance of obtaining it once. This would take more than 19 days of non-stop gameplay.

some dozenz of times

From your comment i can tell that u didnt read and understood my proposal. I did not say anything about the EoC
[doublepost=1547763496,1547763180][/doublepost]I said all storyline bosses in expert mode, within 5 minutes of a timeframe before spawning the next boss. Means 11 bosses defeating including lunar event and most of them during nighttime. 0.025% dropchance for the new item if moonlord is killed. You need to learn how to read properly dude
My bad, the first boss isn't a boss.

Let's say it takes 10 minutes to finish this boss gauntlet. If the new item has a 0.025% drop rate, then you would have to complete this challenge an average of 2,772 times in order to have a 50% chance of obtaining it once. This would take more than 19 days of non-stop gameplay.
Ah, yes. Kind of like Diablo 2's Tyrael's Might, an item that drops once per rotation of our galaxy (a little bit exaggerated).
Definitely not a good idea.

Maybe 0.025% is a little bit extreme, lets say 0.5% then, its just that it would be the final armor and therefore it should be hard to obtain it in the first place. The only rly hard items to obtain for me where the coingun, Ring of Greed, Rendeer Bells and RoD, everything else is rly just a cakewalk.
[doublepost=1547769119,1547768845][/doublepost]
Ah, yes. Kind of like Diablo 2's Tyrael's Might, an item that drops once per rotation of our galaxy (a little bit exaggerated).
Definitely not a good idea.

I remember that part, i was close to the situation of the southpark episode where the fat guy :red:s into a bowl so he has more time for grinding.

The last time i grindet that hard was in Tera for the Mask of Power that drops with a 0.1% chance from the Extreme mode boss of the Nightowl Base, and just for one party member. Everyone was cuddling with this one-hit-kill beast at the last 10% health points so he could be the first one obtaining it in the event of dropping. Me also and my main was a healer, usualy there is only one healer per party so yea, good luck if he starts his final move then hahaha (there where not just one group whipe because we all where greedy af for the mask....)

Last edited:
Maybe 0.025% is a little bit extreme, lets say 0.5% then, its just that it would be the final armor and therefore it should be hard to obtain it in the first place. The only rly hard items to obtain for me where the coingun, Ring of Greed, Rendeer Bells and RoD, everything else is rly just a cakewalk.
Keep in mind that half a percent is still way over 2,000 hours average of grinding for an item that most players won't need or want because the current end-game armor is already potent enough. Why add this item with such an obscure and tedious drop criteria that most players won't even bother? While I am not one to detour you from grinding, you can enjoy it and I will respect it. However, putting a piece of gear in that would be near impossible to obtain without someone wasting a good several days hoping it would drop? That would not help the game, especially for completionists of Terraria. Again, it is best to keep the game as is, as the lunar armors and respective weapons will always be the most powerful. You can always have this event in mind as a personal achievement.

I think heavy grinding in games is generally a really flawed mechanic that makes people waste time.
Overall it's not that bad in Terraria, since you can alter your world to make it easier, although there are some items that give people headaches.
Like the ones you named and the Cell Phone parts gotten through fishing quests.

I'm much more a fan of just simply giving a certain item to a player when he/she does a certain challenge, like your gauntlet.
"Great feat you did, man! Here's your prize." sounds a lot better than "Great job, man! Now do it another 100 times and maybe I'll give you something."

Reminds me of Mr. Torque from Borderlands 2. You do a boss fight, hoping to get a certain gun which you of course don't get, you turn the quest in and he says something like:
"Nice going! I hope you'll have as much fun doing it the next 17 times."
Nice how those devs know how ridiculous the grinding is in their game and make fun of it.

I think heavy grinding in games is generally a really flawed mechanic that makes people waste time.
Overall it's not that bad in Terraria, since you can alter your world to make it easier, although there are some items that give people headaches.
Like the ones you named and the Cell Phone parts gotten through fishing quests.

I'm much more a fan of just simply giving a certain item to a player when he/she does a certain challenge, like your gauntlet.
"Great feat you did, man! Here's your prize." sounds a lot better than "Great job, man! Now do it another 100 times and maybe I'll give you something."

Reminds me of Mr. Torque from Borderlands 2. You do a boss fight, hoping to get a certain gun which you of course don't get, you turn the quest in and he says something like:
"Nice going! I hope you'll have as much fun doing it the next 17 times."
Nice how those devs know how ridiculous the grinding is in their game and make fun of it.

To be honest, it may sound a little bit masouchistic, but i love to grind haha. If there is an item hard to obtain in a multiplayer game, im very proud if i get it and to show off. Sounds sad, but its not the first time that i sit for days in front of my PC and slash the crap out of one and the same enemie thousands of times.

When i got the items to make the ring of Greed i killed the Standart pirate about 12.000 times. And still it was worth it in my opinion.

My rarest achievement i ever got is the Gold MSR Champion-Strife Sniper Rifle in Warface. Has a 0.001% chance of getting dropped during a Earth Shaker on Insane and only if you play on the Asien Server (which is known for its huge latency problems, especially if you are a player from Europe), which is a Mission that even skilled players avoid of completing because of its difficulty. I did it for almost 2 years each day 3-4 times only to get this weapon. Its some sort of credit if you die and a enemie player drops his weapon which is some times better just to play with a once-in-a-lifetime item for one round.

In EVE-Online there is a Spaceship that exists only one single time in the game, very weak one that blows up against any middleclass cruiser. Its estimated ingame-value is enough to buy yourself a House in real life if you would sell it on the Black market. There are players traveling the whole galaxy and camping the system for realtime weeks where the owner is located just to might get a Chance to light it up. (In EVE a ship is gone if you destroy it)

Terraria is (in my opinion) allready a game that gives the opportunity to grind for horribly rare items. It makes sense for me to implement at least one item that is so increadebly rare that even professional gamers need a while to get.

Last edited:
"professional gamers" and "a while"

You've proposed a task that will take someone on average 2000 hours to complete. That's 50 weeks at 40 hours per week. Talk about professional gamer. I think if you're ready to offer up someone a $50k salary to get this item, then by all means, go ahead and make a mod and see who applies for the job.

Because make no mistake. This is not a fun little challenge, this is a job.

"professional gamers" and "a while"

You've proposed a task that will take someone on average 2000 hours to complete. That's 50 weeks at 40 hours per week. Talk about professional gamer. I think if you're ready to offer up someone a $50k salary to get this item, then by all means, go ahead and make a mod and see who applies for the job.

Because make no mistake. This is not a fun little challenge, this is a job.

How i said, you can also vary the droprate of the Enigma-Armor, you dont need to run it 1000 Times to get it. Do it 1% then, or even 5%. What remains is the task itself and the fact that u need to do it several times to obtain the Armor.

But *why*? If it's 5%, it's 13.5 runs on average. Everyone is telling you, this is not fun, this is time consuming work for no actual purpose. Do it as a challenge in your own world. Hell, record it and put it on youtube. But you're not going to convince others that this is a good idea. I'm sorry.

But *why*? If it's 5%, it's 13.5 runs on average. Everyone is telling you, this is not fun, this is time consuming work for no actual purpose. Do it as a challenge in your own world. Hell, record it and put it on youtube. But you're not going to convince others that this is a good idea. I'm sorry.

Well, then is in general everything that happens post-moonlord just annoying, borring and time consuming without an actual sense behind it. Items like Reindeer Bells or Biome-Chests are just pure decoration and fullfill no actual purpose in Terraria.

From your point of view Lunar Armors are pure Vanity Items and have no use at all, because you would need to run the Lunar Event more then one time to obtain them. And since it is supposed to be the last event, there is no use in getting the Lunar Armors.

Also, why should someone grind for the Coingun then. Or take the time to get any Mount besides the UFO, or even bother crafting Wings.

Why even playing Video games then, its nothing else then a huge waste of time, could do something better instead. Or what does time even mean ? Me in particular just breathes and dies one day, so why using energy and go to work each morning ?

Makes sense, right ?/s

Its not meant to be a challange, its actualy just a mechanic to prevent people from getting it before the prospective Lunar Armor without adding a new boss since Redigit said the Lunar Boss is the final instance in Terraria. Am i the only one trying to IMPROVE the game with his proposals ? It seems to me that anyone else is just adding cupcakes in drop-queques of fantasy Monsters to suit there own class in a own way.

This armor is meant to be an IMPROVEMENT of the existing game, not an modlike-expansion like everyone else seems to have in mind.

Last edited:
Well, then is in general everything that happens post-moonlord just annoying, borring and time consuming without an actual sense behind it. Items like Reindeer Bells or Biome-Chests are just pure decoration and fullfill no actual purpose in Terraria.

From your point of view Lunar Armors are pure Vanity Items and have no use at all, because you would need to run the Lunar Event more then one time to obtain them. And since it is supposed to be the last event, there is no use in getting the Lunar Armors.

Also, why should someone grind for the Coingun then. Or take the time to get any Mount besides the UFO, or even bother crafting Wings.

Why even playing Video games then, its nothing else then a huge waste of time, could do something better instead. Or what does time even mean ? Me in particular just breathes and dies one day, so why using energy and go to work each morning ?

Makes sense, right ?/s

Its not meant to be a challange, its actualy just a mechanic to prevent people from getting it before the prospective Lunar Armor without adding a new boss since Redigit said the Lunar Boss is the final instance in Terraria. Am i the only one trying to IMPROVE the game with his proposals ? It seems to me that anyone else is just adding cupcakes in drop-queques of fantasy Monsters to suit there own class in a own way.

This armor is meant to be an IMPROVEMENT of the existing game, not an modlike-expansion like everyone else seems to have in mind.
Because it is an enjoyable process, as opposed to waiting for night 5 times in an hour. And the rewards are balanced with the current game. And the content is relatively new. And it has an interesting vibe with music.

There’s a difference between a challenge and a grind. A challenge requires skill to complete, while a grind simply wastes your time. What you have proposed is not a challenge, it’s a grind.

-There is no satisfaction in defeating all of Terraria’s story bosses with endgame equipment. It’s like testing the Pokemon League Champion’s ability to defeat Brock’s level 12 Geodude and level 14 Onix. Any story boss fought before the Lunatic Cultist gets melted alive by the likes of SDMG and Last Prism, and you should be smart enough to know that.

-If you’re testing someone’s ability to complete a challenge, then give them the reward after they’ve proven themselves once. If you need to gate the reward behind hours of mindless grinding, then what you have is not a challenge, unless you are challenging people not to give up out of boredom.

-An armour set with grossly overpowered stats is not an appropriate reward, for anyone who completes what is intended to be the game’s hardest PvE challenge (which, in its current form, this suggestion is not) has almost certainly evolved past the desire to own such ridiculously strong items.

I think the best form this suggestion could take is a unique vanity item that has a 100% chance to drop from a Moon Lord treasure bag, but only in a singleplayer world, and only if the character that opens it has 100 maximum HP. This creates a playthrough challenge that is even harder than your normal Expert mode run (since many enemies can one-shot you), but is obtainable without luck by those who are able to do it. It’s not very similar in practice to the original suggestion, but maybe it’s the sort of challenge you intended to suggest.

Back
Top Bottom