How did you feel when you made your first Ankh Shield?

Most of the materials were obtained just by chilling around, so no effort was made. Except for those stupid crimson mummies, gosh i hate them, got like 20 dark shards and countless mummy sets before getting the blindfold.

Yeah, the ingredients for the ankh shield are strange in their drops. I was messing around in the underground hallow when I got a rod a discord. I've never had it, so I discover that it gives you broken armor when you break it. I think "I wish I had some armor polish." I then notice an armor polish on the ground. Rod of discord = armor polish?

I've actually had almost any igredient. Except for Adhesive Bandage. That was really annoying to drop, I've killed countless amounts of Angler Fish and Werewolves and they completely refused to drop it. It took me a few Full Moons of trying to actually get it. After that I was pretty meh since I had some better items in my accessories and I rather used it when enemy could put lots of debuffs on me and knocked back a lot. Now that I made solo mage playthrough I can't drop the blasted Megaphone and this is the last thing I need... I've got tons of banners instead.

I got an ankh shield once for collecting purposes. It wasn't even remotely worth the grind. It's an incredible amount of grind for nothing but an accessory that serves almost no use in hardmode where everything deals debuffs that cannot be blocked by the ankh charm and knockback can be avoided in multiple other ways (Paladin Shield or simply hooking to the ground).

Yet again, same can be said for the whole boots crafting chain, which wings will always out-speed if not for ice surfaces, which are otherwise exclusive to the ice biome.

Also ofc, Nazar was the most annoying of all to find. Bezoar was also quite a pain back when it was bugged and not dropping from hardmode wasps. Everything else dropped fairly easily found and without active grind as I crafted mine when I was well done with my self-challenge of soloing the moon events (when moon events were the end-game).

Once I wanted to get the Ankh Charm and the only thing I needed was a Nazar. Too bad the enemies weren't very common and getting this item was really tedious.

Now I'm playing Expert Mode and I've farmed for Nazar and Bezoar in pre-hardmode. For some reason I feel the spawn rate is increased there, because Cursed Skulls were pretty common.

I'll try to get stuff in Expert Mode (because drops are more frequent and less annoying to get) to craft an Ankh Charm/Shield. I've got an Obsidian Shield so far.

I got an ankh shield once for collecting purposes. It wasn't even remotely worth the grind. It's an incredible amount of grind for nothing but an accessory that serves almost no use in hardmode where everything deals debuffs that cannot be blocked by the ankh charm and knockback can be avoided in multiple other ways (Paladin Shield or simply hooking to the ground).
Yeah, that's the case, later it gets near useless since enemies get alternative debuffs, I feel it's more useful for early hardmode when you can die rather easily but it's somewhat hard to build hence the drop rates.
Yet again, same can be said for the whole boots crafting chain, which wings will always out-speed if not for ice surfaces, which are otherwise exclusive to the ice biome.
Not every type of wings can outspeed boots actually. I've found that rather those which have good horizontal speed, like Solar Wings can easily make you move faster. Unless you put lots of asphalt. And they also help with flying up even higher, you won't be always flying and you need to somehow gain that speed.
Also ofc, Nazar was the most annoying of all to find. Bezoar was also quite a pain back when it was bugged and not dropping from hardmode wasps. Everything else dropped fairly easily found and without active grind as I crafted mine when I was well done with my self-challenge of soloing the moon events (when moon events were the end-game).
I got tons of Bezoar drops, got them when I tried to make Plantera boss arena, MOSS HORNETS GODDAMN EVERYWHERE. I swear I couldn't even destroy a tiny part of jungle wall to not get swarmed by those. I never actually wore the Ankh Shield post Plantera anyways.

Not every type of wings can outspeed boots actually. I've found that rather those which have good horizontal speed, like Solar Wings can easily make you move faster. Unless you put lots of asphalt. And they also help with flying up even higher, you won't be always flying and you need to somehow gain that speed.
Not all, but most wings do out-speed boots. If you're an experienced player, chance is you'll aim for Frost Wings as soon as hardmode hits, which can already outrun boots greatly and can be considered the most effective wings achievable at hardmode start, not particularly hard to get either. After that, really few wings tiers are an exception, mainly the hover-based wings which are slower only under specific conditions, maybe some of the end-game wings which are currently weird to say the least.
From what I recall, asphalt does bring you up to max speed regardless of whether you're wearing boots or not, they can potentially make both boots and wings useless on that regard (although wings have the advantage of boosting your speed midair).
They do indeed help flying up higher, but as the current flying times stand on most post Frost Wings tiers, I barely see an use for more.
The need to constantly be in midair to gain the wings speed boost can be an issue, but if you properly jump as soon as you touch the ground, you can preserve your speed still, something that can let you ditch boots for good once got used to. Otherwise dodging accessories can help you regain lost momentum by simply dashing in a direction then jumping during the dash, or dashing in midair altogether for even more speed.

I got tons of Bezoar drops, got them when I tried to make Plantera boss arena, MOSS HORNETS GODDAMN EVERYWHERE. I swear I couldn't even destroy a tiny part of jungle wall to not get swarmed by those. I never actually wore the Ankh Shield post Plantera anyways.
Same here, but back when bezoar drops from moss hornets were bugged up, they were almots like a myth. Looking upon looking at the code related behind its drop mechanic and I had no clue how it was possibly so hard to get although having the same drop chance as every other item. I blame it on the RNG gods. The only debuff preventing accessories I happened to use was the bezoar, directly, due to expert mode jungle related issues, never to be touched again post Plantera.

They were weird drops but unfortunently I invited my friend onto the world and put an ankh shield in my chest without approval. I didn't feel that good the first time I had it. I felt like he cheated me an OP item.

".......... so the shield is done .... what next?" That's what I thought.
Honestly I grab the ankh shield in all item world cuz I gave up grinding for vitamin in Crimson world on my first playthrough.

"That was easy."
The only thing I farmed for was the blindfold and the trifold map. I got the trifold map very quickly with a battle potion in expert mode, but for some reason, it took me two whole battle potions to get a blindfold in expertmode corrupt desert. I infact have two ankh shields now by just running around getting lucky drops.

I've actually had almost any igredient. Except for Adhesive Bandage. That was really annoying to drop, I've killed countless amounts of Angler Fish and Werewolves and they completely refused to drop it. It took me a few Full Moons of trying to actually get it. After that I was pretty meh since I had some better items in my accessories and I rather used it when enemy could put lots of debuffs on me and knocked back a lot. Now that I made solo mage playthrough I can't drop the blasted Megaphone and this is the last thing I need... I've got tons of banners instead.

Adhesive Bandage: Kill Rusty Bones in the Dungeon. They spawn by the bucketloads.
Megaphone: Blood Moon in Hallowed Desert (also gives Fast Clock and Map)

From what I remember, this was in 1.2.4.1 (because I haven't beaten any of the hardmode bosses prior to this on single player) I only needed a few accessories for the Ankh Shield and decided I wanted to get the rest of the accessories for it. The moment I think this and head into the hardmode Dungeon, Cursed Skull Appears and Nazar appears. I then go to the Hallow, the 2nd or 3rd Pixie that appears drops both the Fast Clock and Megaphone. I only needed the Adhesive Bandage after this streak of luck, it took some grinding for Blue Armored Bones, but I eventually got it, then crafted the Ankh Shield at last.

After being very excited for a little bit, it then just felt okay, because at that point in the game I had already beaten Fishron, and attempted the Moon Events and during that time, those 2 were the ultimate endgame events, and the Lunar wasn't in the game yet. Its strange to think that this is old news, since 1.3 has only been out for around a month and a half now.

It was much easier to craft during Expert Mode thanks to the 2% drop rate, though I still used the Shield of Cthulhu for a good portion of middle-hardmode before replacing it with the Ankh Shield and Ninja Gear. (I forget what Item I replaced for the Ninja Gear.

Adhesive Bandage: Kill Rusty Bones in the Dungeon. They spawn by the bucketloads.
They don't spawn before killing Plantera.
Megaphone: Blood Moon in Hallowed Desert (also gives Fast Clock and Map)
Well, now gotta wait for that Blood Moon, I rarely get it and last time I had it I was farming Greater Health Potions from the Destroyer.

They drop from Werewolves too. If you don't want to wait for a full moon, try killing Angler Fish.
I already said. I farmed like a few Full Moons and they refused to drop it, same with Angler Fish. That was a problem on my previous playthrough where I actually had dozens of Megaphones.

My reaction when I first made an Ankh Shield said:
Yes. Hell yes. Hell :red:ing yes. Good-bye debuffs.

The RNG pain was real, but the end result was completely worth it.

I'll probably feel even better once I craft a Cell Phone...assuming the Nymph will drop a Metal Detector.

Back
Top Bottom