How did you feel when you made your first Ankh Shield?

Xylia

Terrarian
I was playing Terraria just now.

I knew I had roughly an hour to play and I was thinking "I'll go knock off Golem a few more times, maybe he'll give me another 8 Golem Fists."

I went over there to Golem's place, and I kill him twice (a Fist and a Sun Stone, my first this playthrough, dropped) and in the middle of the third kill, when he's in his last stage, I see..

"A Blood Moon is on the rise!"

And I'm like "gah!"

I finish him off (Oh look ANOTHER Golem Fist... that makes like 15 of them I've sold to vendors by now and still no Picksaw) and I teleport home.

Luckily, I had finished my Dungeon teleporter yesterday, so I used it and went to the nearby Hallowed Desert (which is right near the dungeon). Within 2-3 minutes, three items dropped: a Fast Clock, a Trifold Map AND a Megaphone drops, the last three accessories I needed for my Ankh Charm!

I couldn't believe they both dropped that fast. I had everything else -- a Blindfold randomly dropped while I was doing stuff... during my many forays into Corruption areas, I already had the Vitamins.. the Dungeon threw some 10+ Armor Polishes at me, Bezoars never were all that hard to get and I've seen at least three Full Moons with lots of Werewolves by now to get the bandage.

I had gotten lucky a couple days ago in the Dungeon and actually saw an Honest-to-God Nazar drop while I was farming trying to get a Wisp and other dungeon stuff.

So now I have an Ankh Charm. It was one of the last things in Terraria (other than the vanity crap and/or the Paladin's Hammer) that I've yet to get not including Moons/Fishron.

When I saw that Megaphone (which was the last thing needed) I was like "OMG YES! I can't believe this! I think I actually have everything I need now!"

Well, I teleported back to my house, and in my haste, I forgot it was still Blood Moon and a Wraith wound up killing the painter before I noticed what was going on, lol. Oh well. It was worth it!

And it only took me ~120g to get Armored on it. I wanted Warding, but Armored will work for now.

I don't know why nazars are so rare for everyone else... I go into the dungeon looking for a wisp or something and end up with five nazars.

Basically I got it before fighting the Twins, used it for rest of the game... The only thing I really hunted for was the Blindfold.

I spent not much time farming other stuff...

Took me hours to get a nazar. Finally got one, and bam, i had an ankh shield! So awesome

i keep getting tons of armor polishes, blindfolds, fast clocks, megaphones, trifold maps, vitamins and adhesive bandages but im still trying to get the bezoar and nazar. also congratulations on getting the sheild

I felt the usual disappointment I feel when a game tries to induce fake feelings of achievement on me, by making me waste hours of my life in something that could have been craftable, and thus much more enjoyable.

I kinda feel the same way, though to be honest in this playthrough I didn't specifically farm for it.

Some of the components that go into it are "easily" (or shall I say, "likely") gotten while doing other stuff:

Trifold Map: Usually while fighting bats in the cavern is how I normally find mine ('cept for this latest playthrough)
Blindfold: usually also in the underground
Vitamins: Usually while farming Flames/Ichor or just generally messing around in those areas.
Bezoar: Usually while looking for Life Fruits, Chlorophyte Ore, looking for Plantera Bulbs etc.
Armor Polish: Either looking for Hardmode Ore, or farming the HM Dungeon for its drops
Nazar: HM Dungeon Weapons/accessory/Wisp/Ectoplasm farming
Fast Clock: Usually run into one while messing around in the Hallow
Megaphone: Same
Bandage: Werewolves commonly drop these during full moons/blood moons in forest.

Now, when Blood Moons pop... I treat Blood Moons like they are resources to be used to my advantage. In Hardmode, I will either farm Pirate Maps or whatever Ankh Charm ingredients I'm missing (Hallow Desert can yield 3 of them alone!).

I've never made an ankh shied. Don't judge me. I've spent hours trying to get the last ingredient, vitamins, on a crimson world, and ended up deciding that it's not worth it.

In my next playthrough I got these vitamins after just a few Floaty Gross kills. Needless to say, knowing RNGsus, this was to be expected.

Since I got my first one on a playthrough with a friend we could easily share items we had doubles of, and therefore it wasn't particularly difficult to get one. So really it didn't feel like much of an accomplishment.

I will have to admit, getting the Vitamins in a Crimson World is significantly harder than a Corruption one.

There are a lot more Corruptors around than the Floaty Gross which I almost never see anywhere. I can't blink my eyes anywhere near the corruption without getting spat on by a corruptor... but Floaty Gross? I don't even remember what one of those even looks like, lol.

I said "IM COMING FOR YA DUNGEON", and I went to Post Plantera Dungeon.
[DOUBLEPOST=1422218737][/DOUBLEPOST]
I will have to admit, getting the Vitamins in a Crimson World is significantly harder than a Corruption one.

There are a lot more Corruptors around than the Floaty Gross which I almost never see anywhere. I can't blink my eyes anywhere near the corruption without getting spat on by a corruptor... but Floaty Gross? I don't even remember what one of those even looks like, lol.
Floaty Gross are pretty much common. They and the Corruptor have the same spawn rate

Floaty Gross are pretty much common. They and the Corruptor have the same spawn rate

Hmm, that's kinda weird... well I suppose I'll have to admit that in worlds with Crimson, you fly over Crimson areas much easier due to the fact there aren't these huge pits and other obstacles in your way like there is with Corruption, and the Corruptors fly faster and higher than the Floaty Gross IIRC.

Hmm, that's kinda weird... well I suppose I'll have to admit that in worlds with Crimson, you fly over Crimson areas much easier due to the fact there aren't these huge pits and other obstacles in your way like there is with Corruption, and the Corruptors fly faster and higher than the Floaty Gross IIRC.
Have you been to the Underground Crimson?

Have you been to the Underground Crimson?

Usually when I go in there, I'm going down deep enough to look for Ichor Strikers because if I'm in there, I'm probably farming for Ichor Bullets, other than my first "run in, smash altars, warp out" thing I usually do at the very beginning of hardmode.

When you're down that low, the Floaty Gross usually ends up competing with the spiders, the ichor strikers, and those large slimes (derplings? herplings? I forget which), and in nearly every single playthrough I've done thusfar, the Crimson loves spawning inside the ice biome or very close to it so I get ice mobs too.

Usually when I go in there, I'm going down deep enough to look for Ichor Strikers because if I'm in there, I'm probably farming for Ichor Bullets, other than my first "run in, smash altars, warp out" thing I usually do at the very beginning of hardmode.
It's best you have crystal bullets instead, and have Ichor Arrows

"Alright. Finally made an Ankh Shield. One down, three to go for the others! Not sure if they'll use these, but I'm going for completion!"

<<A play session or two later.>>

"We're running pretty low on ectoplasm... Might as well head to the dungeon and stick around killing stuff until I get, like, thirty or something. Hello Mr. Paladin, wanna' be my first ectop--... 'That a Paladin's Shield? Hm. Well... Alright."

Now I keep Paladin's Shield in use and the Ankh Shield next to it in Vanity. It still comes in handy; if I'm struck with one of the nine tell-tale debuffs, I right click on the Ankh Shield to swap it back and forth, and presto! Cure! :nursewink:

Back
Top Bottom