Console How do console players find recipes since the UI update?

tohann

Terrarian
This is a legit question I've had since the UI update was released and I haven't seen it addressed in a while. I'm hoping someone has a better way or idea.

Playing with the new UI has been very frustrating. Ignoring the small text and overlay issues (the opacity config helped a bit), the lack of recipes is a real downer when playing. When I'm playing solo or with my kids, I have to reference my phone every few minutes as I search for recipes. This means trying to get to a safe place or having protection (sometimes in Expert Hardmode) so I can hang out for 20-30 seconds while I search, communicate what ingredients are needed, where to find them and where to craft the item.

I know the recipe will show up if you have the ingredients in your inventory and you're next to the proper crafting station, but that's the core problem. We never have the right ingredients and oftentimes don't know the right crafting station.

The previous UI showed all recipes all the time, and that was great. I know that UI isn't coming back, but I would hope we could get to some sort of middle ground. Does Relogic really expect us to memorize most of the recipes, or have to reference a phone/laptop when playing? That is a little easier when playing on a PC or laptop since you're already there (and sometimes have a second screen), but for console that is a really poor dependency.

This is a legit question I've had since the UI update was released and I haven't seen it addressed in a while. I'm hoping someone has a better way or idea.

Playing with the new UI has been very frustrating. Ignoring the small text and overlay issues (the opacity config helped a bit), the lack of recipes is a real downer when playing. When I'm playing solo or with my kids, I have to reference my phone every few minutes as I search for recipes. This means trying to get to a safe place or having protection (sometimes in Expert Hardmode) so I can hang out for 20-30 seconds while I search, communicate what ingredients are needed, where to find them and where to craft the item.

I know the recipe will show up if you have the ingredients in your inventory and you're next to the proper crafting station, but that's the core problem. We never have the right ingredients and oftentimes don't know the right crafting station.

The previous UI showed all recipes all the time, and that was great. I know that UI isn't coming back, but I would hope we could get to some sort of middle ground. Does Relogic really expect us to memorize most of the recipes, or have to reference a phone/laptop when playing? That is a little easier when playing on a PC or laptop since you're already there (and sometimes have a second screen), but for console that is a really poor dependency.
The way that Terraria was created, it is intended that exploration and discovery remains a big part of the game. When you get a new item that says it’s a “Material” you would give it to the Guide NPC (he has a Crafting option when you speak to him - put the item in the box on the left near where the crafting menu is) and he will tell you every single item that can be made with that material, even if you’ve never encountered any of the other materials needed.

This is the way it has worked on PC since it was released. The crafting menus on console showing every recipe was a liberty taken by the previous console developer.

Here is a screenshot (found from google) of giving the Guide NPC lead ore (using the Guide’s “Crafting” option when you speak to him)
upload_2018-10-27_10-37-54.jpeg

The way that Terraria was created, it is intended that exploration and discovery remains a big part of the game. When you get a new item that says it’s a “Material” you would give it to the Guide NPC (he has a Crafting option when you speak to him - put the item in the box on the left near where the crafting menu is) and he will tell you every single item that can be made with that material, even if you’ve never encountered any of the other materials needed.

This is the way it has worked on PC since it was released. The crafting menus on console showing every recipe was a liberty taken by the previous console developer.

Thanks for the reply! I was aware of that mechanic and understood it's use, but I always thought it was cumbersome. There were a handful of times very, very early in the game where I used it (literally the first 2-3 hours of ever playing Terraria), but I've never used it afterwards. That's when I was getting a feel for how the crafting system worked. Ever since it's been more, "I need this item, what item(s) do I need to craft to get there? And where?"

Case in point, my son wanted to put a clock in his arena so he knew when day/night started. Ok, so I think he needs wood and some bars. (and glass) What does he need to stand by, a table or workbench? (sawmill) Not to mention the other crazy clocks and their varied requirements/stations.

Or if my son needed a timer. I think a watch is needed, and some wire. But what kind of watch? And where to stand?

And what about the Ankh Shield (one of my favorite items in the game)? I feel that never would have been found if the only way to get the recipe was through the Guide's tips.

@ClearConscious @Loki (only tagging you two since you are in the know :) )
So maybe this is a more general question that isn't console-specific. Pretending the wiki and various places online don't exist for finding recipes, how does Relogic intend for players to find and craft items? Having a guide as the only source of recipes is a really rough interface.
Would you ever envision a middle-ground to have recipes listed in-game? Perhaps something like having an item in your inventory that could act as a recipe book? It could pop up an overlay that could be navigated for recipes?

Thanks for the discussion on this. It's something that is a huge pain for me (and probably others) in the game right now. I don't want to be tethered to my laptop or phone every time I pick up a controller.

Case in point, my son wanted to put a clock in his arena so he knew when day/night started. Ok, so I think he needs wood and some bars. (and glass) What does he need to stand by, a table or workbench? (sawmill) Not to mention the other crazy clocks and their varied requirements/stations.

Or if my son needed a timer. I think a watch is needed, and some wire. But what kind of watch? And where to stand?
Personally, I find the Guide very useful when I’m trying to remember the crafting recipes. I’d just give the Guide some glass and he’d tell me all the materials needed for a clock as well as what crafting station is needed. Or give him some wire to refresh your memory on what is needed for a timer.

There are rare times when I can’t remember any one material needed, but 95% of the time there is at least one thing that I can think of that’s in the recipe and you just give it to the Guide.

Pretending the wiki and various places online don't exist for finding recipes, how does Relogic intend for players to find and craft items?
I’m not Clear Conscious or Loki, but Loki has actually posted a great deal about how using the Guide to reveal recipes is an intended core design of the game. I’ll list out some of his replies here as links so you can see them in their context.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...n-ps4-xb1-submitted.64057/page-8#post-1505164
https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...ate-feedback-thread.64220/page-9#post-1505169
https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...te-feedback-thread.64220/page-35#post-1535051
https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...te-feedback-thread.64220/page-53#post-1557565
https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...te-feedback-thread.64220/page-60#post-1572058

Thanks @Unit One. :)

More or less the same way I have on PC... and the same way I did during my full console play post-1.3:
  • Any time something is marked as "material", I run it to the guide to see what might be possible. If it is something I want, I either commit it to memory or jot it down.
  • Over time, I have memorized several recipes (as most players do, I suspect) - though every now and then, I need a memory-jog... say I know 2/3 of the elements - well I show the Guide one of them and he fills in the gaps.
  • Do I have to use the wiki from time to time? Sure, but that is easily enough done from the couch via phone... I find that use is mostly just for forgetting if <enemy X> drops <item Y> that I am in need of.

To cite another example - when I get the chance to play in-dev builds here for ongoing PC updates, there is no wiki to turn to (yes, I suppose I could ask the dev team - but I try not to bother them) - instead, I try to experience the update/game as it is intended. That is to me part of the wonder of discovery - finding new things that have been added, including new things to craft and try. That learning gets committed to memory... jotted down... or yes, the option of the wiki is there for those that care to do none of these (as it is for many, many games).

Back
Top Bottom