Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's also someone out there who have beaten the game with a Copper Shortsword, guess that may need to be nerved as well.

I don't think there can be much done to it unless you want to nerf it's reach, in it's current form, it is a very safe weapon to use with it's wide reach, fast speed and knockback, and this is also a very 'glass cannon' build too to make up for it's damage loss.

Would a decrease in damage, reach and knockback still make the night's edge impossible against Plantera? Probably not, it may just take longer, but there probably also are better weapons to use against too.
Perhaps I was having a kneejerk reaction. Sorry about that.

Anyone at a high enough skill level can make any weapon seem stronger than it is. Heck, give me a few runs to warm up and I can make any ranged weapon look impressive by fighting daytime Empress of Light. If I do that with a lower tier weapon, does that mean we need to nerf Sky Fracture? Or if somebody defeats Moon Lord while primarily using Golem Fist, does that mean it's exceptionally powerful? Or does that just mean they were very good at using the item?

When you see a snappy Youtube video demonstrating a weapon seemingly punching above its weight, you really should try it out first to see how it goes. Usually when somebody does something like that, it's a player that's a lot better at the game than the average user.

As long as you can avoid taking damage, which is actually quite hard in Terraria due to many factors including the very heavy momentum, you can defeat anything as long as you can deal any damage. We really should aim to avoid the game of "this weapon/item/build/whatever is actually slightly useful in this situation, NERF IT". A lot of us have played the game for hundreds or thousands of hours, read the entire wiki and figured out how to break the game. The game shouldn't be balanced around us. It can actually be quite challenging, and I definitely won't pretend that I find all of it a walk in the park despite having played for so long. Part of it is the random nature of it. Another part is how extremely visually noisy it can be. Yet another is how heavy the player's movement is, and how many attacks aren't designed with it in mind. The game actually breaks quite a few "golden rules of gameplay balance". One of them is that you can and will be attacked from off-screen. How many (hundreds) of times have you been exploring the underground jungle only to get hit by a barely visible stinger with a barely (if that) audible audio cue coming from off-screen? Every time you find a somewhat open area in the underground jungle there will be at least three hornets firing stingers at you from off-screen. That's not even factoring in the fact that you can't see into the clearing because you haven't been there and placed torches. In some cases potions can somewhat alleviate this, but you can't be expected to have those active at all times. Projectiles in general are often very hard to see. The queen bee's stingers, and summoned bees for that matter, are extremely hard to see in the middle of the action, and that's after the stingers were given a visibility increase at some point.

Another example is from when I was fighting the frost moon a few days ago. I had taken a few hits, so I decided to land and grab a pile of hearts on the ground. I landed, and immediately died to a bunch of those thorny balls that were completely camouflaged in a pile of weapons, trophies, hearts and whatnot. The thorny balls spawned by... I have played this game for well over a thousand hours, and I have no idea if it's the Santa tank or everscream that spawns them. The game is just that visually noisy. It's particularly bad during events such as the frost and pumpkin moons. You will be shot at essentially constantly by enemies off-screen, with projectiles that often pierce blocks. When the torch luck update came out, you know the main reason I disliked it? Because almost all the torches that you're supposed to use are significantly dimmer than normal torches, and give off colored light that is the same as the surrounding blocks, walls and enemies. It reduces visibility quite a bit. In fact, my main hope for Terraria 2 is that visual clarity isn't neglected. Game devs tend to lose themselves in details, particle effects, blurs, filters and so on. Don't make bosses like the slime queen, whose main methods of hurting you are a horde of slimes shooting off barely visible projectiles constantly, and bouncing projectiles that go far off screen only to come back aimed right for you just after you used your shield dash.

Anyone at a high enough skill level can make any weapon seem stronger than it is. Heck, give me a few runs to warm up and I can make any ranged weapon look impressive by fighting daytime Empress of Light. If I do that with a lower tier weapon, does that mean we need to nerf Sky Fracture? Or if somebody defeats Moon Lord while primarily using Golem Fist, does that mean it's exceptionally powerful? Or does that just mean they were very good at using the item?

When you see a snappy Youtube video demonstrating a weapon seemingly punching above its weight, you really should try it out first to see how it goes. Usually when somebody does something like that, it's a player that's a lot better at the game than the average user.
As someone who beat the game without weapons period (used armors, accessories, mounts etc), I agree with this philosophy. We shouldn't nerf Cactus Armor or the Toy Tank just because it's viable in funny builds.
Sorry for veering off topic, just wanted to say my piece. I'll sink back now.

Finished my terra-blade craft tree only playthrough. Was kinda easy, only hard (or better say annoying) part was killing twins, but twins always was inconvenient fight for a true melee.

Light's bane should be nerfed, for the weapon you can get so early (finding 30 glowing demonite isn't hard at all) it just destroys anything. Difference between light's bane and platinum broadsword supposed to be similar as difference between platinum and demon bows, but it does like 1.5x dps, has much better range because of projectile and also able to hit enemies behind walls for some reason. Feels like having prepatch muramasa right from the start or even better.

Volcano feels weak. It so slow, that even high damage couldn't compensate it. I think it deserves some buff in terms of attack speed or maybe same aura thing as other true melee swords from crafting tree. Also I don't like how it turns with the character, sometimes it turns with you, sometimes you keep attacking in old direction (if you move slowly I guess), kinda distracting.

NIgth's edge is too strong for WoF fight. And I don't think it can be solved by just nerfing damage or something like this. The problem with WoF fight is how it went. Two hits and all hungries behind WoF and boss can't do anything to you from that moment, big attack area allows you to hit all three parts of WoF at once dealing huge damage. Even if you cut NE damage by half nothing will change and WoF fight still will be too easy. It took me almost the same distance to kill WoF with NE as with True NE, that how broken that fight was. Also because there is no other requirements you can craft NE as soon as you have all 4 swords, and in result you will skip one of the swords entirely (in my case it was muramasa).

So I think that NE can be just moved to early-hm instead of nerfing it (just add 10 souls of night and light in recipe). It will solve both problems: WoF fight and skiping one of the swords. NE is like zenith of pre-hm, and as we know zenith requires you to beat final boss before obtaining it.

Excalibur deserves some buff, it was worse than NE. Maybe it better in beating dummies, but in real fights NE range is more important than some extra damage. Still used it in some situations, but I think damaging aura could be a bit larger.

Terrablade better to be a post-golem weapon, just to prevent of using it on golem fight. And projectiles should be nerfed somehow, to encourage melee combat. Maybe projectiles damage can go lower by distance or just buff sword's damage and nerf projectiles damage,

Terrablade better to be a post-golem weapon, just to prevent of using it on golem fight. And projectiles should be nerfed somehow, to encourage melee combat. Maybe projectiles damage can go lower by distance or just buff sword's damage and nerf projectiles damage,
I don't really understand this, in true melee range you can hit with both the projectiles and the aura sword thing, which straight up doubles your damage output.

I don't really understand this, in true melee range you can hit with both the projectiles and the aura sword thing, which straight up doubles your damage output.
The problem that now you don't really need to go melee with terrablade, its projectile damage is enough up until end of the game, it's comparable with most ranged weapons in post-golem, and doubling damage in melee is just a bonus for you.

Volcano feels weak. It so slow, that even high damage couldn't compensate it. I think it deserves some buff in terms of attack speed or maybe same aura thing as other true melee swords from crafting tree. Also I don't like how it turns with the character, sometimes it turns with you, sometimes you keep attacking in old direction (if you move slowly I guess), kinda distracting.
Interestingly I actually find it very strong, that's well balanced by it's low speed.
It has stayed as my primary sword in master mode until I made the Night's Edge.

I think you've not gotten used to it yet, as weapons only turns around when you finished the swing. And due to it's slow speed, it's more noticeable on that weapon.
This in turn can you put in an advantage, by turning around during swing, the back of the follow-up swing deals instant damage, which makes two shotting enemies easier.

Hopefully this is the right place to put this so that the devs can see this.

There's three QoL updates I would like to see in Terraria
1. There should be a visibility toggle on vanity armour and accessories. Currently it's just on armour, accessories and equipment. This allows us to look how we actually want to look which will significantly effect gameplay experience.
2. We should be able to right click on the armour and accessories slot to switch with the item in the vanity slot. Currently it only works the other way round. This really helps with comparing items.
3. The axe of regrowth and/or staff of regrowth should replant the seed of the corresponding harvested plant if the seed is in the inventory. Alternatively this effect could happen if the harvested plants are in planter boxes. Currently the axe of regrowth does this with trees and this removes the mundane job of replanting seeds.

I hope you take these points into consideration, thank you.

Interestingly I actually find it very strong, that's well balanced by it's low speed.
It has stayed as my primary sword in master mode until I made the Night's Edge.

I think you've not gotten used to it yet, as weapons only turns around when you finished the swing. And due to it's slow speed, it's more noticeable on that weapon.
This in turn can you put in an advantage, by turning around during swing, the back of the follow-up swing deals instant damage, which makes two shotting enemies easier.
Maybe, I just generally don't like slow weapons, I ended up using blade of grass vs skeletron. Volcano still was good vs mobs tho, but, to be fair, everything good vs mobs at that stage.

About turning, I think the problem partly about what you described, but it's not like one swing was in wrong direction, I sometimes (pretty often actually) managed to save old direction for 2-4 swings. I tapped move button to control speed and not accelerate too much, and I guess released the button at wrong moments.

Last edited:
Hopefully this is the right place to put this so that the devs can see this.

There's three QoL updates I would like to see in Terraria
1. There should be a visibility toggle on vanity armour and accessories. Currently it's just on armour, accessories and equipment. This allows us to look how we actually want to look which will significantly effect gameplay experience.
2. We should be able to right click on the armour and accessories slot to switch with the item in the vanity slot. Currently it only works the other way round. This really helps with comparing items.
3. The axe of regrowth and/or staff of regrowth should replant the seed of the corresponding harvested plant if the seed is in the inventory. Alternatively this effect could happen if the harvested plants are in planter boxes. Currently the axe of regrowth does this with trees and this removes the mundane job of replanting seeds.

I hope you take these points into consideration, thank you.
As per the title of this thread, it is for Balance Feedback only. For other suggestions, please make a thread in the suggestions section: Player Suggestions

To clarify, since there is a lot of concern that it is not being changed, Night's Edge and Terra Blade are definitely going to get some nerfs. No further feedback needed on that subject until we release the hotfix that does it (and then we can re-assess).
I know that you are very likely not capable of giving an answer on this, but is there any sort of timeframe on when these nerfs are going to come through? I'm currently just about relying on the weapon at Master/FTW Wall of Flesh (the seven Imp Banners helping with survival and the fact it's still only within 3% of its HP remaining at this point nonwithstanding...) and if it will be within a day or two I personally would rather wait for it to be nerfed before continuing to fight the boss and progressing into Hardmode.

I could use some time to restock my potions anyway...

I know that you are very likely not capable of giving an answer on this, but is there any sort of timeframe on when these nerfs are going to come through? I'm currently just about relying on the weapon at Master/FTW Wall of Flesh (the seven Imp Banners helping with survival and the fact it's still only within 3% of its HP remaining at this point nonwithstanding...) and if it will be within a day or two I personally would rather wait for it to be nerfed before continuing to fight the boss and progressing into Hardmode.

I could use some time to restock my potions anyway...

I don't have a certain timeline but I'm hoping this week.

I don't have a certain timeline but I'm hoping this week.
Alright. Plenty of time to stock up on Armored Cavefish and Hemopiranha/Crimson Tigerfish then.

How do you all feel about the way TNE's projectile follows the player? Should it be changed?
I actually like it. It basically turns your swing into a much longer hitbox. The fact it moves with you actually gives you a lot of room to correct its pathing.

To clarify, since there is a lot of concern that it is not being changed, Night's Edge and Terra Blade are definitely going to get some nerfs. No further feedback needed on that subject until we release the hotfix that does it (and then we can re-assess).
Is this about Night's Edge against Destroyer? That boss is a huge joke with a ton of piercing weapons anyways.

I've been doing tests vs Expert Skeletron Prime with different weapons, and so far Night's Edge is good but definitely not overwhelmingly good.

Its kill time was about 153 seconds, and there were 15 other early hardmode melee weapons better than it, including Chik. Excalibur was the fastest melee, at 98 seconds.

Unholy Trident and Tome of Infinite wisdom were fastest magic, at 85 and 91 seconds, while crystal serpent was at 130 seconds.

Fastest summoner kill was spider armor, firecracker, sanguine staff, at 95 seconds. Obsidian armor used to have much faster kill times than spider but now is fairly equal (with my setup, 4 minions vs 6).

I haven't finished testing ranged weapons, but the phantom phoenix with ichor arrows is 83 seconds, megashark with crystal bullets is 82 seconds, and megashark with ichor bullets is 71 seconds.

Is there anyone having any issues with Clockwork Bow? Sometimes this weapon broke the game's audio, I have to restart the game to get my game audio back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom