Meet The Team: IT Support Matt Sargent

ClearConscious

Terrarian
Pipeworks Studio
MTTmsargent.jpg

Meet the Team is a regular feature in which we interview members of the Pipeworks team working on
Terraria to give you a brief introduction to the people working behind the scenes to maintain and improve your favorite game. Today, our subject is Matt Sargent, IT Support.

Can you give us your name and title?

Matthew ‘Sarge’ Sargent - IT Support

Where are you from, and how long have you been working in games?

I grew up in Billings, MT, and went to college both there and in Japan while pursuing a degree in Computer Science. I worked in the software industry for several years developing automated Business Process software and was the lead QA engineer with a company called Flux. I continued doing software development and support under contract for the U.S. Department of Energy as a software engineer after that, and then became a freelance web developer and roaming IT guru in Billings. After visiting the Coast on a camping trip I fell in love with Oregon and moved out here applying for only one job: As a QA Tester for Pipeworks in 2015.

What have you worked on in the past that people might know?

Terraria. The most virtual fishing in my life, and you might be familiar with it, has been in Terraria. This would include a low estimate of 160 hours to ensure that every available fishable item in every biome was diligently searched for, caught, and redeemed or otherwise used as an ingredient or quest item.

Can you tell us what you do on the Terraria team?

I love hardware so IT is a perfect fit for me on the team. I furnish as many screens as required as well as provide desktop and console development kit support for the entire team.

What makes you passionate about working on Terraria?

I’ve always been a big fan of sandbox games, and Terraria is at the top of the list for item collection and boss hunting. My personal account has over 400 hours of playtime, although some of that was hosting multiplayer. I still actively play Terraria on PC.

What would you like to tell players about the future of Terraria on consoles?

I started on the PC version myself and I know everyone is going to be amazed at the breakthroughs coming out of Pipeworks for the console experience.

Yes! The man behind the monitors! Sarge, this is the best!

I love that you love Terraria, and I know that we are going to be so delightfully pleased with how the PW console versions are coming. I will also invite you to my Terraria world named "Let's Go Fishing!" since you are an expert fisherman.

View attachment 147283

Meet the Team is a regular feature in which we interview members of the Pipeworks team working on
Terraria to give you a brief introduction to the people working behind the scenes to maintain and improve your favorite game. Today, our subject is Matt Sargent, IT Support.

Can you give us your name and title?

Matthew ‘Sarge’ Sargent - IT Support

Where are you from, and how long have you been working in games?

I grew up in Billings, MT, and went to college both there and in Japan while pursuing a degree in Computer Science. I worked in the software industry for several years developing automated Business Process software and was the lead QA engineer with a company called Flux. I continued doing software development and support under contract for the U.S. Department of Energy as a software engineer after that, and then became a freelance web developer and roaming IT guru in Billings. After visiting the Coast on a camping trip I fell in love with Oregon and moved out here applying for only one job: As a QA Tester for Pipeworks in 2015.

What have you worked on in the past that people might know?

Terraria. The most virtual fishing in my life, and you might be familiar with it, has been in Terraria. This would include a low estimate of 160 hours to ensure that every available fishable item in every biome was diligently searched for, caught, and redeemed or otherwise used as an ingredient or quest item.

Can you tell us what you do on the Terraria team?

I love hardware so IT is a perfect fit for me on the team. I furnish as many screens as required as well as provide desktop and console development kit support for the entire team.

What makes you passionate about working on Terraria?

I’ve always been a big fan of sandbox games, and Terraria is at the top of the list for item collection and boss hunting. My personal account has over 400 hours of playtime, although some of that was hosting multiplayer. I still actively play Terraria on PC.

What would you like to tell players about the future of Terraria on consoles?

I started on the PC version myself and I know everyone is going to be amazed at the breakthroughs coming out of Pipeworks for the console experience.

This is a pretty interesting opportunity to see the people behind the branch of the game for this port. I hope you guys pursue some humorous questions in future. Nice to find out about Sarge though, sounds like a passionate dude.

Now we have evidence that they're just moving monitors about to prank us.
I love the action shot you managed to capture of Sarge too!

Once again, Pipeworks is proving to have a talented and passionate team - I honestly can't wait to see the job they've done on Console Terraria.

Back
Top Bottom