Meet The Team: Pipeworks Engineer 1 David O'Day

ClearConscious

Terrarian
Pipeworks Studio
MTTdoday.jpg

Meet the Team is a regular feature in which we interview members of the Pipeworks team working on
Terraria to give you a brief introduction to the people working behind the scenes to maintain and improve your favorite game. Today, our subject is David O’Day, a snarky Engineer 1 on the console versions of Terraria.

Can you give us your name and title?

David O’Day: Engineer 1

Where are you from, and how long have you been working in games?

I was born and raised in Gresham, Oregon, which is a suburb of Portland. Pipeworks has been my only games industry job, and I joined this place 6 years ago.

What have you worked on in the past that people might know?

“That people might know” makes that question harder. I worked on uDraw Studio, the art program that shipped with the uDraw tablet controller.

After that I wrote the simulator for the third season of the TV show Deadliest Warrior. Our previous studio head, Robert Daly, was on the show that season, entering the results of the experiments into the sim. Plantville, a business sim for business people, was next, and then Deadliest Warrior 2, a follow-up to a fighting game Pipeworks put out right before I joined.

The pinnacle of my career was Wreck-It Ralph for the Wii. A videogame about a movie about videogames! The stars were aligned. This would fulfill all my creative needs. And it did. Perfection! [Editor’s Note: It wasn’t good]

World Series of Poker: Full House Pro took a year of my life and refuses to give it back.

I did some military sim stuff, then took over as Lead of Gems of War, when Eric Hope was needed somewhere else. We ported the game to Xbox One and PS4, and when that was done Terraria called me over.

Can you tell us what you do on the Terraria team?

I am in charge of interfacing with the consoles directly, converting their beeps and boops to something Terraria understands. After everything seems to work, I will be on the frontlines in the War for Certification.

What makes you passionate about working on Terraria?

Terraria is the dream game: A passion project gone big, which still maintains its authenticity and integrity. I am proud to be working on it.

What would you like to tell players about the future of Terraria on consoles?

The plan is to minimize the delay between a PC release and a console release. Consoles will still have to go through cert, though, so we probably will still have some delay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom