Museum of Pixel Art

The pixelart of red is incredible! Well done! Did he see it yet? If so, how did he react?

You should seriously consider starting up your own youtube channel to not only showcase your art, but also to demonstrate how you build. You outlined the process in DjXaxier's vid which was quite informative and clarified how these amazing creations are constructed, but I think it would be even better if you did that on your own channel! I would be happy to feature you, just like I did Rulick 15 (and I would feature others if only they had their own channels and made showcase videos). I'm not a big youtuber, but the channel is growing, and I like featuring other builders and engineers.

I also think it would be a great to have a community forum for in-game architecture and pixel art (similar to T-MEC for engineering), which might include not only showcases but also various tutorials and other resources, such as furniture displays, color pallettes, and other useful references. It's currently all scattered among many forums and in many posts. What do you think of starting or being part of a group like that?

The pixelart of red is incredible! Well done! Did he see it yet? If so, how did he react?

You should seriously consider starting up your own youtube channel to not only showcase your art, but also to demonstrate how you build. You outlined the process in DjXaxier's vid which was quite informative and clarified how these amazing creations are constructed, but I think it would be even better if you did that on your own channel! I would be happy to feature you, just like I did Rulick 15 (and I would feature others if only they had their own channels and made showcase videos). I'm not a big youtuber, but the channel is growing, and I like featuring other builders and engineers.

I also think it would be a great to have a community forum for in-game architecture and pixel art (similar to T-MEC for engineering), which might include not only showcases but also various tutorials and other resources, such as furniture displays, color pallettes, and other useful references. It's currently all scattered among many forums and in many posts. What do you think of starting or being part of a group like that?

DICEMANX!!!!!! I LUV U!! I am in shock and awed by your presence! I feel like a groupie for Nick Jonas! I haven't read your whole message, just saw it was you who replied... Let me showoff your message and swagger a bit... will edit and add more...

EDIT: First, @DicemanX THANK YOU!! I don't think Red has seen it yet. I heard the developers consider Terraria their 'baby' so I made their 'baby' look like one of the parents.

Second, I'm not sure how people reacted to the youtube video with audio explanation (When I heard my voice, I asked myself what was I babbling about). I thought maybe people just want speed building pixel art, rave music background, instant gratification, done in a few hours. I don't know how to record my pixel art builds and load it on youtube (recording equipment-none), and come up with creative intro like that. And I'm shy, I won't know what to say. But I will think on it, consider it and marinate the idea in my head. I'm just a snail to react. So overwhelmed! BTW, at spawn point, I built your teleporter hub, that's probably the most requested build/artwork. I must have built/help build/check wiring on 7-8 other worlds for other gamers. Took me a few days to figure out the different wiring style for console (a bit tricky) and now it takes me half an hour to build the hub. So thank you for the hub! I use it all the time to travel and teleport gamers to the pixel art. Love it!

Third, love the idea! If there is a T-ART for in-game architecture and pixel art, I'm in. I vote @Khaios to be the head honcho of such a prestigious society (he also insisted that I showoff my art so he's very good at pulling the snail out of its shell. That sounds gross!) I'm not sure if 3-d pixel art that I do is their cup of tea.

Last edited:
DICEMANX!!!!!! I LUV U!! I am in shock and awed by your presence! I feel like a groupie for Nick Jonas! I haven't read your whole message, just saw it was you who replied... Let me showoff your message and swagger a bit... will edit and add more...

Haha I feel like I'm in a boy band ;).

EDIT: First, @DicemanX THANK YOU!! I don't think Red has seen it yet. I heard the developers consider Terraria their 'baby' so I made their 'baby' look like one of the parents.

Second, I'm not sure how people reacted to the youtube video with audio explanation (When I heard my voice, I asked myself what was I babbling about).

You were actually lucid and spoke in a calm, relaxed voice, which I like. I'm sure many would prefer your style of speaking over the loud, obtrusive voices you often have to endure in other videos! All you really would need to do is turn up the mic and improve the mic quality.

I thought maybe people just want speed building pixel art, rave music background, instant gratification, done in a few hours.

I don't know how to record my pixel art builds and load it on youtube (recording equipment-none), and come up with creative intro like that. And I'm shy, I won't know what to say. But I will think on it, consider it and marinate the idea in my head. I'm just a snail to react. So overwhelmed!

You'd need some hardware to record youtube videos, and it'll probably end up being an investment of around $50 or so to make good quality videos. Well worth it I think, to have the opportunity to showcase your art to a wider audience! There are tons of youtube videos offering advice on how to get started, and you get a chance to see how the footage looks and decide whether its right for you.

As for not knowing what to say, or wondering what people want, I'd start by focusing on what you want to do in your videos and what interests you :). There's usually quite a big difference when speakers present things that they are passionate about, and they often find their words more easily and find they have much to discuss. Plus, if you end up demonstrating how pixel art is constructed, you don't need to talk then - just put it on fast-forward, and maybe add some music, and that's it! Let the art creation speak for you.

BTW, at spawn point, I built your teleporter hub, that's probably the most requested build/artwork. I must have built/help build/check wiring on 7-8 other worlds for other gamers. Took me a few days to figure out the different wiring style for console (a bit tricky) and now it takes me half an hour to build the hub. So thank you for the hub! I use it all the time to travel and teleport gamers to the pixel art. Love it!

Wonderful! I'm glad you're getting a lot of mileage out of the hub! It sounds like you're gaining quite a reputation as an engineer on the xbox ;).

Third, love the idea! If there is a T-ART for in-game architecture and pixel art, I'm in. I vote @Khaios to be the head honcho of such a prestigious society (he also insisted that I showoff my art so he's very good at pulling the snail out of its shell. That sounds gross!) I'm not sure if 3-d pixel art that I do is their cup of tea.

Even if they don't do pixel art themselves, I'm positive they appreciate it all the same. Folks will admire the skill and talent required to make any kind of art, whether it entails engineering, architecture, or pixel drawings. Now all that needs to be done is inviting a bunch of architects and pixel artists into one conversation, and propose starting the group to get the ball rolling! looks like @rulick15 is on board as well I think!

I also think it would be a great to have a community forum for in-game architecture and pixel art (similar to T-MEC for engineering),
Pardon my interruption here. And I may be wrong, but I think this already exists in the Obsidian Academy Social Group? I don't think it includes Pixel Art, but I'm not 100% sure because I haven't joined. The social group description says all who join must know color palettes and be knowledgable on building. I love admiring great builds and frequent the In-Game Creations & Screenshots section, but I'm not a builder myself.

Pardon my interruption here. And I may be wrong, but I think this already exists in the Obsidian Academy Social Group? I don't think it includes Pixel Art, but I'm not 100% sure because I haven't joined. The social group description says all who join must know color palettes and be knowledgable on building. I love admiring great builds and frequent the In-Game Creations & Screenshots section, but I'm not a builder myself.

I didn't even join the Academy because I'm scared they might give me a test on color palettes and building. Heck, I can't even draw.

Well, I just joined and I was instantly taken to a page that required me to build a cathedral in 10 minutes or less, with a minimum average score requirement of 3.75/5 from three judges. I then had to differentiate between cerise, fuschia, and magenta, without the opportunity to look it up on the net, or be immediately kicked out.

(OK maybe I just made that all up :))

The group seems to have lost a bit of steam after it was created, and doesn't really have many resources or guides that I was envisioning from many of the skilled builders. There's baih's excellent guide from a while ago, but that's about it. However, there are so many guides out there scattered among the guides groups and reddit/steam that should be compiled, and I'm sure some of the experienced builders could create many guides to building more advanced structures or creating pixel art (and now thanks to Blackshadowwind, Fury, and Architect, we have animated pixel art). Consequently I'd still suggest forming a new group.

Have you seen Fury's latest video Catz?

Last edited:
Well, I just joined and I was instantly taken to a page that required me to build a cathedral in 10 minutes or less, with a minimum average score requirement of 3.75/5 from three judges. I then has to differentiate between cerise, fuschia, and magenta, without the opportunity to look it up on the net, or be immediately kicked out.

Have you seen @Fury's latest video Catz?

It is sooo coool!!! Once we get that update for dummies, I'll definitely animate... Hollywood Terraria! Blocks... pixel art... and action!

It is sooo coool!!! Once we get that update for dummies, I'll definitely animate... Hollywood Terraria! Blocks... pixel art... and action!

The good news is that the dummy isn't actually necessary - you can use any town NPC, but you'd be limited to running the animations during daytime so that the NPC doesn't teleport back to its assigned house. This way if you want to give animation a try, you have the option to do so now!

The good news is that the dummy isn't actually necessary - you can use any town NPC, but you'd be limited to running the animations during daytime so that the NPC doesn't teleport back to its assigned house. This way if you want to give animation a try, you have the option to do so now!
Does it have to be above ground aside from daytime? I might not have room on top

Well, I just joined and I was instantly taken to a page that required me to build a cathedral in 10 minutes or less, with a minimum average score requirement of 3.75/5 from three judges. I then has to differentiate between cerise, fuschia, and magenta, without the opportunity to look it up on the net, or be immediately kicked out.

Ha, you totally had me and I was thinking See, that's why I didn't join. I want to see what the builders discuss, but I'm not qualified to build.

If the new group does comes about, I'd like to lurk, admire, and glean info. And I'll be awaiting Catz's animated Red throwing a yo-yo.

Does it have to be above ground aside from daytime? I might not have room on top

You can make it anywhere - there are no limitations to where the NPC can be used. Also, it's actually possible to run the animation at night as well, so long as there are no available houses the NPC could teleport into at night. Easiest way to do this is by starting the NPC in a house with a teleporter on the floor and teleport the NPC into a hoik track that would power the animation. The lever that connects the teleporters would also invalidate the house (by actuating a wall or turning off a light source) so that the NPC cannot teleport back into that house.

Something to keep in mind with the animated pixel art: you're pretty much limited to what can be seen on-screen, unless you just want to maybe animate a small part of a huge pixel art. Maybe have a heart beating inside of a giant figure or something along those lines. Blinking eyes? Waving hair?
But, if it is possible to animate one of your giant pieces and somehow be able to view it decently, like I said, peoples' heads would explode, haha!

Something to keep in mind with the animated pixel art: you're pretty much limited to what can be seen on-screen, unless you just want to maybe animate a small part of a huge pixel art. Maybe have a heart beating inside of a giant figure or something along those lines. Blinking eyes? Waving hair?
But, if it is possible to animate one of your giant pieces and somehow be able to view it decently, like I said, peoples' heads would explode, haha!
What's the onscreen limit viewing? 30 blocks wide x 20 blocks height?

What's the onscreen limit viewing? 30 blocks wide x 20 blocks height?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. Yeah, that's right. 30 blocks on each side and 20 blocks high for ps3 and 360. Not much to work with, especially the height. The other problem is that there is no way to clear up the screen flashing from teleporting on console and no mini-map to use as an alternative, sadly. I think 505/engine should program-in a button to clear the HUD for screenshots, especially since Vita and the next/current-gen systems can take screenshots. Who needs a back-up jump/grapple button? But we're all still waiting for the rest of 1.2.4, so -- one thing at a time I s'pose. It's something worth bringing to their attention I guess, as a wanted/suggested feature.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom