Weapons & Equip No equipment slot for wings?

Well, I'll try to explain. Wings have been an accessory since they came out in 1.1. Hooks, Mounts, Pets, Light Pets were never accessories. They were just things that helped you throughout your playthrough. They were things that you had to keep in your inventory all the time and they were taking up a lot of your precious space. So developers thought of a nice way to clear your inventory out a little bit, and added these couple of slots, which I'm a big fan of.
However Wings are accessory, if you remove them from accessory slot, you will have an extra space for other really powerful accessories. It would be overpowered.
That doesn't free up an accessory for warriors, mages or summoners. Why? Because they use mounts, you're the last man on this planet to like wings. xD
Only ranged players are forced into this wing stuff with the stealth mechanic...

So it would add an accessory slot to rangers that is already given to everyone else.
Would that break balance? Hell no. Actually it would make it slightly more balanced as rangers wouldn't have to sacrifice even more of their damage in order to move. Stealth, Ammo, all sacrifice mechanics, but ranged damage can't compete with the Terarrian or the Last Prism. Letting rangers to use one more damage accessory would decrease their awful handicaps, making the game a bit more balanced in the end.

Have you ever noticed that when you are getting ready to fight a Boss, there is always one accessory that you would like to add, but you can't since there's no more slots. On the other hand you can't even replace any accessory you already have equipped, since they are all pretty good. This has happened to me, and I am completely sure that this happened to all of you aswell. Can you see where I'm going with this? That one accessory slot, that one more accessory that you want to add to your character to make it perfect, to make it invincible. You would consume one more Demon Heart if you could, just to get an extra slot, but you can't! Can you now see where I'm going with this? That is the one accessory slot this thread is all about. You may don't want to admit it, or you may don't even understand how, but that one accessory can and will make a true beast out of you. If you don't think that I'm right, or this that I'm making it sound more over-powered than it actually is, take a calculator in one of your hands, go to Terraria WIki, and just do the math, literally, and see what wonders can one accessory do.
Actually everyone but rangers can already do that. The one last accessory that makes you perfect... ...they are already using it, because nobody wants to actually use wings to fly. Wings are cool vanity items. Nothing more, but they are the worst accessories as it stands for now as you can just fly fast infinitely with mounts.

So yeah, I completely support changing wings from accessory to equipment.

That doesn't free up an accessory for warriors, mages or summoners. Why? Because they use mounts, you're the last man on this planet to like wings. xD
Only ranged players are forced into this wing stuff with the stealth mechanic...

So it would add an accessory slot to rangers that is already given to everyone else.
Would that break balance? Hell no. Actually it would make it slightly more balanced as rangers wouldn't have to sacrifice even more of their damage in order to move. Stealth, Ammo, all sacrifice mechanics, but ranged damage can't compete with the Terarrian or the Last Prism. Letting rangers to use one more damage accessory would decrease their awful handicaps, making the game a bit more balanced in the end.

Actually everyone but rangers can already do that. The one last accessory that makes you perfect... ...they are already using it, because nobody wants to actually use wings to fly. Wings are cool vanity items. Nothing more, but they are the worst accessories as it stands for now as you can just fly fast infinitely with mounts.

So yeah, I completely support changing wings from accessory to equipment.
You're acting like mounts are a direct upgrade to wings, and there's literally no reason for anyone to ever use wings because of them...

You're acting like mounts are a direct upgrade to wings, and there's literally no reason for anyone to ever use wings because of them...
Not at all, wings have their use: they are nice vanity items. =^-^=
Edit: Just try out Cosmic Car Keys. You'll see.

Not at all, wings have their use: they are nice vanity items. =^-^=
What about before you can get a ufo mount? Or when you're trying to navigate through a narrow cave, or when your using a portal gun or grappling hook, or when you don't want to worry about fall damage...

What about before you can get a ufo mount? Or when you're trying to navigate through a narrow cave, or when your using a portal gun, or a grappling hook, or when you don't want to worry about fall damage...

Before the UFO mount? There's no balance before the lategame you should already know. Before lategame hits in, ranged is the omnipotent god of all damage, if Relogic would care about midgame balance, they'd simply halve the damage of midgame ranged weaponry.
Of course, Relogic doesn't care about balance that much. Endgame ranger is extremely weak. On the other hand, at least they try to balance lategame.

Narrow caves? Snowman Cannon plz, the best pickaxe, axe and hammer in the game. There is no narrow tunnel in this game. Even if you don't have it yet, you actually fit in 4 high tunnels with mounts, most caves have hights of 10+ so there's no point here.

Portal Gun... ...it's not as good as I hoped. No bullets or enemies going through it, it's not practical to have it in the first place. Nice toy, but not really useful. The only use it actually has that you can use it to teleport as a ranged player to keep your stealth up.

Fall damage? Grappling Hook, the first 15 gems, or your fist iron bar and Hook drop solves that. Mounts solve that too, just press the R button. Yeah, it's like League of Legends: you have a problem? Press R and it is solved.

I think the core problem is that too many accessory types feel irreplaceable. Once you get it, you can't imagine ever going without it. So what we really need is more alternatives for fall damage protection and air mobility (and knockback prevention and grounded mobility while we're at it) that aren't just a stat change away from existing items.
According to Medusa, there is no such thing as fall damage protection :)

Before the UFO mount? There's no balance before the lategame you should already know. Before lategame hits in, ranged is the omnipotent god of all damage, if Relogic would care about midgame balance, they'd simply halve the damage of midgame ranged weaponry.
Of course, Relogic doesn't care about balance that much. Endgame ranger is extremely weak. On the other hand, at least they try to balance lategame.

Narrow caves? Snowman Cannon plz, the best pickaxe, axe and hammer in the game. There is no narrow tunnel in this game. Even if you don't have it yet, you actually fit in 4 high tunnels with mounts, most caves have hights of 10+ so there's no point here.

Portal Gun... ...it's not as good as I hoped. No bullets or enemies going through it, it's not practical to have it in the first place. Nice toy, but not really useful. The only use it actually has that you can use it to teleport as a ranged player to keep your stealth up.

Fall damage? Grappling Hook, the first 15 gems, or your fist iron bar and Hook drop solves that. Mounts solve that too, just press the R button. Yeah, it's like League of Legends: you have a problem? Press R and it is solved.
1. Early-mid hardmode might not be perfectly balanced, but that doesn't mean we should just give up on trying to make it that way
2. I'd rather not blow up everything to get around, though I guess my point was less about fitting though caves and more just moving around in narrow spaces, which wings do better since endgame they're faster
3. The portal gun still has its uses, it's good for quickly escaping danger or traveling across half the world in seconds.
4. It's more convenient to just not have to worry about it in-case you forget.

Also, Medusa can burn in the hell.

you're the last man on this planet to like wings. xD
@Gotcha! would have to disagree with you buddy!

You are acting like when a little Cosmic Car Key drops from a burning Martian Saucer, Wings are gone, Let's compare your end-game you are talking about. Wings have higher both vertical and horizontal speed. That's enough to make them better than slow moving Mounts. Yes, you can dodge Moon Lord's lasers with a UFO Mount, but some faster moving projectiles, not a chance.
I actually prefer using Reindeer Bells over UFO, since the Rudolf is a Bugatti Veyron of Terraria, and using the good old Rudolf, you can cover even more distance than Wings, and remember, Rudolf was a first Mount to be introduced to this game.

And off the topic
Press R and it is solved.
Pretty much what you do with Talon at any given moment of the game.

1. Early-mid hardmode might not be perfectly balanced, but that doesn't mean we should just give up on trying to make it that way
2. I'd rather not blow up everything to get around, though I guess my point was less about fitting though caves and more just moving around in narrow spaces, which wings do better since endgame they're faster
3. The portal gun still has its uses, it's good for quickly escaping danger or traveling across half the world in seconds.
4. It's more convenient to just not have to worry about it in-case you forget.

Also, Medusa can burn in the hell.
Well, if wings don't take up that accessory slot, there's not much difference there. When we talk about balance it should pretty much cover combat and when it comes to combat, you don't really have much to put in there midgame that would make a bossfight THAT much easier.
Not to mention that lategame balance shouldn't be sacrificed for midgame balance and the former would be easier if ranged weren't forced into using wings in one of their accessory slots while the others can just throw away their wings. Obviously, nerfing melee and magic base damage because they aren't forced to use wings wouldn't be nice. Letting rangers stuck with wings instead of having useful accessories for combat wouldn't be nice either.
Not to mention that giving wings their own socket would lead people start using wings again sometimes, wings could have an actual use again!

Well, I can't think of anything that is narrow. Natural caves aren't narrow. Arenas shouldn't be narrow, because that's counter-productive and as such, it would be a failure. Not to mention that if you want to move fast, why would you use wings? Minecarts, teleporters, prolly even the Portal Gun? No reason for wings, they are too damn slow, even hover wings can't compete with a Minecart...

@Gotcha! would have to disagree with you buddy!

You are acting like when a little Cosmic Car Key drops from a burning Martian Saucer, Wings are gone, Let's compare your end-game you are talking about. Wings have higher both vertical and horizontal speed. That's enough to make them better than slow moving Mounts. Yes, you can dodge Moon Lord's lasers with a UFO Mount, but some faster moving projectiles, not a chance.
Not even a chance. Actually the UFO mount moves faster than the overglorified wings of our topic.
Wings have different fly speeds for horizontal and vertical, so we should cover both independently, right?

Horizontally, wings are slowest way to move around. Except for hover capable wings, they are quite fast. Ohhh, sooo hover wings are better, right? No, they are just a pair of overglorified boots, because their actual flight time while hovering is extremely low, you can't actually fly with them. Their vertical flight speed is awful too. When it comes to horizontal movement, you better lay down minecart tracks, believe me, they have far more use in combat than a crappy pair of wings. Except if you play ranged and stealth forces you to use wings.

Vertically, wings are faster, but... ...their flight time is limited. In the end, you'll sooner - or even sooner, but not later - will find yourself falling. Which is kinda bad, because if you try to dodge something vertically that means that more than half of your complete fly time is moving down without you being able to move up. Anything falling down is an extremely easy target. Sooo, in the end, infinite, yet slower flight beats the living crap out of falling down into the middle of the party. Except if you play ranged and stealth forces you to use wings.

Solar Wings horizontal speed = 46 MPH (when you are constantly tapping on the space button that just recovered from farming for Slime Staff in 1.2)
UFO horizontal speed = 41 MPH
I'm just laying down some numbers for you.

When you are falling with Wings, you are a very easy target to hit? Hell no! You can change the speed of your descending, and the amplitude between fastest and slowest falling speed is pretty big. Plus, moving to the sides can also be controlled while falling down.

When you are falling with Wings, you are a very easy target to hit? Hell no! You can change the speed of your descending, and the amplitude between fastest and slowest falling speed is pretty big. Plus, moving to the sides can also be controlled while falling down.
Compare that to change my 41mph speed to 41 in the exact opposite direction. Not even close. Not to mention that monsters have the tendency of spawning under you. The only direction you might want to avoid is down during a Frost Moon. Ever heard of Santank? You don't want to go down EVER. Just sayin'.

I think it all comes down to personal prefrence, rather than people being smug with eachother. If you want to fly around with wings. That's nice. If you want a cool mount to ride on. Cool. I personaly prefer wings.

My idea of what wings should get, are cool bonuses.
For instance, Angel wings should get extra damage on corruption monsters.
And Demon wings should get extra damage on hallow monsters.

Capture 2015-08-15 23_33_36.png

You can actually use this system @Kardfogu. You cover 84 blocks on either side with lava, and make a little spawn platform 36-47 blocks below the platform that you will be standing on. This way, you never have to go down, and you will use your Wings to fight Ice Queens, Pumpkings and other event Bosses, while your Minions and Traps deal with the mobs that spawn below you. You can shoot down there with Terrarian, Meowmere or Starwrath if you are a Warrior like me in this case.
In case of Pumpking Moon I usually get 7-8 full inventories of items, and in case of Frost Moon, almost one full inventory since the drop rates are a lot lower.

I think it all comes down to personal prefrence, rather than people being smug with eachother. If you want to fly around with wings. That's nice. If you want a cool mount to ride on. Cool. I personaly prefer wings.

My idea of what wings should get, are cool bonuses.
For instance, Angel wings should get extra damage on corruption monsters.
And Demon wings should get extra damage on hallow monsters.
Now that would be something that makes a sense as an accessory, even with the current mounts. Nice idea, even if we are getting a bit offtopic.
Generally, I'd say, as mounts CAN completely substitute wings as of now, there wouldn't be much of a break in game with a wing slot. Mounts, almost every single hardmode mount can outrun all the bosses that Terraria offers so I don't know what are we talking about... xD

If wings could have additional abilities, something that mounts don't offer already, I'd say it's reasonable to have wings in the accessory slot of course, but for now, there's no such thing. I really wanted to say Fishron Wings, but Cute Fishron not only grants the same ability to move at full speed with liquids but is many times faster...
...so our wings would need stuff to make sacrificing an accessory slot truly worthwile or they should be equipped in their own slot.

View attachment 71999
You can actually use this system @Kardfogu. You cover 84 blocks on either side with lava, and make a little spawn platform 36-47 blocks below the platform that you will be standing on. This way, you never have to go down, and you will use your Wings to fight Ice Queens, Pumpkings and other event Bosses, while your Minions and Traps deal with the mobs that spawn below you. You can shoot down there with Terrarian, Meowmere or Starwrath if you are a Warrior like me in this case.
In case of Pumpking Moon I usually get 7-8 full inventories of items, and in case of Frost Moon, almost one full inventory since the drop rates are a lot lower.
Or I could simply equip a damage accessory in place of wings in the same system, deal more damage while riding a mount and get more loot from Frost Moon by getting faster to the later waves. xD

Not to mention this:

What do you say we bury our war hatchets, and stop this pointless conversation! :merchantcool:
We have different opinions and that's okay.
But still have to use Wings 'cause you are ranged. ;)

Only downside is there would be no vanity for it. Which leads another point - you should be able to set vanity items for the alternate accessory slots :D

What do you say we bury our war hatchets, and stop this pointless conversation! :merchantcool:
We have different opinions and that's okay.
But still have to use Wings 'cause you are ranged. ;)
Fine.
And true, I'm kinda forced into. Not for long, I've got bored of dolphins and fireworks and being forced to use wings instead of an awesome UFO. Everyone swings their catswords and lifeform disintegration rainbows while riding UFOs while I'm stuck with my wings and a Phantasm - as the ranged weapon drops from Moon Lord are borderline useless. xD

...as the ranged weapon drops from Moon Lord are borderline useless. xD
Jeez. Come on, the SDMG is awesome. The Celebration not so much, I agree with that, but calling it borderline useless would be a bit much. It still does a lot of damage.

I'd love to see something done with the Celebration. Or have it removed with a good looking missile launcher which fires a homing missile that splits into several smaller homing missiles. Something sweet and useful vs far away targets. The Celebration could have its damage lowered and be sold by the Party Girl as a gadget.

Buuut, I guess I'm going offtopic.

Back
Top Bottom