No Wood Boxes: A Building Guide

(I always made the monstrosity; the most pernicious evil; thy box)
Guide was helpful, my (simple) result:
index.php

Attachments

• teraeyitfrva.jpg
    teraeyitfrva.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 13,489
Mmm... if you don't mind a heavy WIP, I'll post my livingwood supertree design I have that I've been working on on and off. Definatally good for showing off pretty organic options for a build. If I wasn't too lazy to build a tree farm for the 5 billion wood I need (Or getting distracted building my base on my group's minecraft server) I'd prob have finished it already, but oh well.

02927847713EFA0D9A67B7005DF70C84821FF3C7
82BAB4E481A1D536BB89E40C0F71FA46EFC639B0
1F415818E6239FA8881826523F8C960753E678C3
FEE7E8D0E984E872D83EE695A5D3AFC5FBA77FB9
987DC89A30A461CDD0C1EC8E8E80ADEEBDB282E8
FFB79B575F577BE6FC2049CA7B1945CCE68BAD3C
7C3CB10428CFA1936FD7441031DCABFC23FB2229

A heavy part in making it look natural is good splintering, and being able to mix foreground and background usage on the branches/canopy. The final pic is a good example of the splintering process I use to build up the branches before I place the leaves, at least on the top section of it, just remember to allow light into it, either via 1 block gaps in the background (If you want the design to follow the natural day/night cycle for lighting), or placing it yourself in the form of candles/Gem torches, if you want your hard work to even be noticed. The best backwall for the leaves is the grass backwall from the Dryad, although I also mixed in a few flower backwalls in for her room on that one branch I started out with (Note, that branch was actually me absorbing the leftovers of a natural Livingwood tree's leaves that I had harvested earlier on to use in the main tree, which set the shape of the room for me to build into) to give the impression that she was helping her part of the tree come into bloom unnaturally. I heavily recommend using cactus lighting for Livingwood designs, as the flowering look looks pretty good. If you want stairs in the "I can walk without jumping up" style, heavily mix the slopes on a diagonal. The unevenness helps it look natural, or at the very least as if you had hacked them in by hand rather than with machine precision, while you can walk up without effort if designed right.

EDIT: Also, a tip I have for building things that feel more a part of the world, build around the land, don't terraform the land around the build. Best way to make something feel like it actually belongs. Light terraforming is ok just to fill in small gaps/clear small hills (aprox 1-3 tiles), but otherwise try and use the land to your advantage.

That Living wood town looks great! Quite unique!

Added an new section! It's not the horizontal/vertical like I mentioned earlier, but it's something just as important.

hey dude know any blocks that i can make a house in corruption?
Let's see... stone slab, gray bricks, ebonstone bricks, ebonwood, shadewood, bone blocks, blue or green dungeon bricks, chains, green stucco, and spooky wood all might work. Especially the blue dungeon bricks.
Oh, and depending on what the house is for, you might want to do something involving those ravines.

Let's see... stone slab, gray bricks, ebonstone bricks, ebonwood, shadewood, bone blocks, blue or green dungeon bricks, chains, green stucco, and spooky wood all might work. Especially the blue dungeon bricks.
Oh, and depending on what the house is for, you might want to do something involving those ravines.
thanks dude :D

First one's a nice start! May I recommend the use of living wood pillars in the second house, if your have some? I also think a window would look nice near the top right corner.
thanks, good idea. i have found a living wood tree... but... it's normal. i'll try cutting down some of its wood. or does cutting it down give regular wood? (i also built this without mods, cheats, nothing.) :D i can try some normal pillars in the second house. i'll see how that goes.maybe some glass in the middle, which i'll do that on my journey.

thanks, good idea. i have found a living wood tree... but... it's normal. i'll try cutting down some of its wood. or does cutting it down give regular wood? (i also built this without mods, cheats, nothing.) :D i can try some normal pillars in the second house. i'll see how that goes.maybe some glass in the middle, which i'll do that on my journey.
it seems you are a bit unlucky, as a giant tree's wood yields regular wood. i would suggest world grinding, but living wood trees with anything in them are very rare.

Actually, you can hammer the walls to get living wood walls. Blocks are unfortunately still unavailable, but the walls do work well as de facto pillars inside the house.
when i try to hammer the beam (it's a beam) it just destroys the wall behind it. i have no "pillars", and i think you're referencing to the beams. or is the wiki stupid not showing these pillars?

when i try to hammer the beam (it's a beam) it just destroys the wall behind it. i have no "pillars", and i think you're referencing to the beams. or is the wiki stupid not showing these pillars?
He's referring to the technique of replacing a column of walls with a different type to simulate a pillar.

Back
Top Bottom