PC PC is getting controller support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But... why? o_O

Why would anyone use a controller on a pc? wtf.

Its actually an increasingly popular trend, for a number of reasons I've heard, including:
A - Ease of transition to PC from Console gamers (for instance, I've been a console gamer my entire life and I don't always find keyboard and mouse the easiest to control for some games)
B - Can be more comfortable for some people to play, especially those with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
C - The introduction of Steam's new controller is leading towards much more common support (and use) of Gamepad support for popular PC games. There will be people who expect this moving forward, and in increasing numbers.

Its still a rather niche group at this point IMO, but I would wager that in the next few years, it will become much more common.

Its actually an increasingly popular trend, for a number of reasons I've heard, including:
A - Ease of transition to PC from Console gamers (for instance, I've been a console gamer my entire life and I don't always find keyboard and mouse the easiest to control for some games)
B - Can be more comfortable for some people to play, especially those with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
C - The introduction of Steam's new controller is leading towards much more common support (and use) of Gamepad support for popular PC games. There will be people who expect this moving forward, and in increasing numbers.

Its still a rather niche group at this point IMO, but I would wager that in the next few years, it will become much more common.

Thank you, that clarifies my need for understanding this thing.

I can't imagine how terraria is easier with a controller, even for those with an extensive past of exclusively using it, given the inventory management, precision movement, block placement/mining and so on and so on and on... but those reasons do make sense somewhat.

Still, I gotta *shrug*.

Cool, but is there anything else we can look forward to? I am not trying to be a hater, I love this game to death, but its just... well... I want MOAR

It'll use something like Smart Cursor, probably. Smart Cursor is already like 505's but good.
I guess having two modes for the controller (one where you aim in a direction and one with the cursor) like on consoles could work, but I was more curious on how menu navigation and tools like the rod of discord and magic missle would function. On a console, the menu is more compact (and less user-friendly) for controllers, and tools that are normally used by clicking anywhere on the screen either don't work as well or don't work at all.

I'll need to take a look at this when 1.3.1 comes out. I tend to prefer using a controller for 2D games like Shovel Knight and Cave Story, but I might prefer the precision of having a mouse and keyboard in this game. Either way, great addition for people who prefer controllers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom