PC PC is getting controller support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know there was an aimbot on console, just mobile I thought.

I can't fathom how you'd aim otherwise? I just assumed they both had it because it'd be pretty much impossible otherwise. *shrugs* Well I suppose one could use the other analog, but that'd be incredibly clunky.... 1 analog for movement, 1 analog for aiming... and somehow also get in button presses in the meantime, not to mention how *slow* aiming with analog would actually be.

I can't fathom how you'd aim otherwise? I just assumed they both had it because it'd be pretty much impossible otherwise. *shrugs* Well I suppose one could use the other analog, but that'd be incredibly clunky.... 1 analog for movement, 1 analog for aiming... and somehow also get in button presses in the meantime, not to mention how *slow* aiming with analog would actually be.
There is no aimbot, you just point in a direction with the analog stick and fire, and there's a second mode that lets you move a cursor with the analog stick for precise digging and building. It's not optimal (I'd choose a mouse and keyboard over it any day), but I heard it's far better than the mobile's aimbot.

There is no aimbot, you just point in a direction with the analog stick and fire, and there's a second mode that lets you move a cursor with the analog stick for precise digging and building. It's not optimal (I'd choose a mouse and keyboard over it any day), but I heard it's far better than the mobile's aimbot.

I'd have to wonder just how anybody in console could possibly kill anything with that, then... I try to imagine flying circles around the twins, for example, using a megashark and I try to think of how that would work with thumbsticks and..... well, it...... wouldn't work. At all. Quite often I have to change directions in a split second's notice... not 2 seconds from now lol.

I'd have to wonder just how anybody in console could possibly kill anything with that, then... I try to imagine flying circles around the twins, for example, using a megashark and I try to think of how that would work with thumbsticks and..... well, it...... wouldn't work. At all. Quite often I have to change directions in a split second's notice... not 2 seconds from now lol.
On paper, it's not actually that complicated (move with one stick and a button to jump, aim with the other and a button to fire). The only problem is that it's not completely accurate for some reason.

I've used a gamepad on the PC version quite a bit through xpadder program and it isn't that hard. People can pull off instant head shots in FPS-like games, so aiming in a game that just shoots in the direction of the cursor isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. You just have to map the controls right, one stick to move, one stick to aim, and the trigger to fire.

I really wish it could be possible to get the 3DS control scheme on the PC version of Terraria, though. Of all the versions I've played, 3DS has the best controls by far. Using just one analog stick and having the target aiming made it super comfortable. If it were possible to actually set other controllers to operate in the same way, that'd be great.

Its been a while, but I fared quite well on Console 1.1 against the Mech Bosses, its not that bad. Its faster than you think, not very delayed.

8:20 PM - Stardust Guardian: TERRARIA 1.3.1 WILL BRING CONTROLLER SUPPORT
8:20 PM - FSDep Gardevoir (Doing Posters): No
8:20 PM - FSDep Gardevoir (Doing Posters): That's bad
8:20 PM - FSDep Gardevoir (Doing Posters): Xbox version is weird
8:20 PM - FSDep Gardevoir (Doing Posters): 1.3.1 should be wiring not controller support
8:21 PM - FSDep Gardevoir (Doing Posters): They should finish up Mac support and 3DS/WiiU version
8:21 PM - Stardust Guardian: It's funny because controllers have wires ha ha ha ha
8:22 PM - FSDep Gardevoir (Doing Posters): I hate you

It's called the wiring update for a reason <3

I already use a gamepad with Terraria... albeit with limited success.

I use the Steam Controller. As it emulates both an Xbox-style pad and a mouse/keyboard, it technically can* work out-of-the-box with most games.

*technically can, because sometimes games for keyboards use the whole thing, or a fair chunk of the buttons, and setting something like that up for a gamepad of any kind would take a minor miracle, so those games oughtta be ruled out. There are other games where it's entirely possible to set up the Steam Controller for them, but... there's no imaginable situation where using it would be a good thing.

I love the damn thing, so I'm hardly going to be giving it a hard ride, here, but even in its place as, in my opinion, the best possible gamepad you can currently get, Steam Controller isn't going to do well here. I feel like Terraria is one of the games out there that you'd have to tear inside out and completely reimagine before it becomes a worthwhile thing to try and control it with anything but kb/m.

I own the PC version, 360 version and mobile version. PC version is the only one I can bear playing for more than 10 minutes at a time. The 360 and mobile interfaces are changed to better accommodate the control schemes, but I don't think it helps very much in terms of ease of play and enjoyability. I can't see the PC version improving on that very much with controller support, and I doubt they'll even go as far as changing the interface to make it that slight bit easier to navigate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to adding controller support. More features can only be better, right? I just don't see it benefiting many people, if any people.

EDIT: To clarify, I use the Steam Controller for most of my gaming, but not for Terraria. I tried it out, for a while, but it was painful. The flexibility and customisability of the controller means it could be just as easy as kb/m, but Terraria takes some accurate pointing and clicking... Steam Controller does well for a general mouse-based interface, but won't match the mouse for things like this.

Also, despite the general negativity of my comment, I'm actually open-minded about this and want to try it out again when controller support is brought in. Basically, I want to be wrong, and look forward to the nice surprise when I'm proven wrong. Until then, these are my expectations (and/or misgivings), so I'm not going to be disappointed if it turns out ugly.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone on the Re-Logic team for allowing this beautiful game to get this far ahead in development! I may never use this feature, but if I do, I will have the time of my life!

Oh, dear. I was planning to make a mod that gave extra functionality to a person with a controller. I wonder how this will conflict with my plans?

Now this is unexpected. I may give this a try for the funsies, but I sure as heck won't be using the feature much. Not only does mouse + keyboard allow better precision in a short amount of time for battles (especially with aiming at distant enemies/bosses, unless some form of auto-targetting is included with controller support), but more importantly, my muscle memory for Terraria with mouse + keyboard has gotten me to a level where my play will just drop if I use something else.

Still, there will be people who love this feature, and for them it's great. Just not for me.

That is great! I always wondered how Terraria could work with controllers! :)
I can't wait to try it! Thank you for this update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom