tModLoader Prefixes for Enemies

Were you using the latest version? Anyway, it can be hard to tell what prefixes are on a worm-type enemy because only the head actually has the prefix, so you have to be hovering over the head (which is hard to do when it's always moving) and not just one of the body segments, which will just display the normal name. They're actually considered to be different NPCs that share a health bar, which is a little weird. If this is a big issue, I could remove the exceptions for worm-type heads and just leave all worms without prefixes.
How about adding something that alters the look of the monster ? If you can make the size vary, maybe you can make the colors vary, or add particles ?

How about adding something that alters the look of the monster ? If you can make the size vary, maybe you can make the colors vary, or add particles ?

In general, I'm avoiding adding things that don't add to functionality or would make things more confusing (party animal excepted, of course). Visual changes like extra particles are something I plan to add to distinguish the most important prefixes and suffixes, since it's important to be aware of them. If you have specific suggestions for how one of these should be distinguished, I'd like to hear it.

For the Prefixes that make enemies burn (with any flame) or poison, Adding the little sparkly particles of the same color or adding green or purple bubbles for the poisonous ones could work.
For the reflective ones, making them shine like coins (or diamonds, your call) can be effective as well.
Volcanic could either taint the enemy slightly red or add burning particles to them.
Electrified enemies could get yellow particles going left and right.
Vampiric and Manastealing enemies could get particles going towards them, with the colors being near those of their respective crystals.

This is only an idea and it is up to you of you want it to be added. I am not the one deciding :p

Edit : I'll keep looking for more but the Stoned prefixe is quite complicated to represent with anything.

Oh, okay. Just so you know, it wasn't only the worm.. I also stumbled upon a demon eye that managed to catch me off guard with frostburn. I'm not sure if it's conflicting with a mod I have or what, but sometimes the prefix is there, sometimes it isn't.

Oh, okay. Just so you know, it wasn't only the worm.. I also stumbled upon a demon eye that managed to catch me off guard with frostburn. I'm not sure if it's conflicting with a mod I have or what, but sometimes the prefix is there, sometimes it isn't.

Hmm, I'm not sure how this could happen with the way prefixes are added, but I'll look into it. My guess is that something is resetting the NPC's displayed name after the prefix is applied, so the effects of the prefix stick around but the name is gone. But again, not sure how that could happen.

thats happen when i come in my multi mod world... yes the dummy is a rune wizard and first i think this is a bug... and now i know that the dummies are enemies
2015-10-31_00002.jpg

thats happen when i come in my multi mod world... yes the dummy is a rune wizard and first i think this is a bug... and now i know that the dummies are enemies

Oops, forgot to exclude those guys. It's fixed for the next patch, but that patch could be a few days.

Definitely a cool mod, making me consider trying tModloader again, but there needs to be a bit of balancing to some of the suffixes. These can make a player not want to have the mod, challenging is fun but annoying is not.

Yup, even my friends are reporting not seeing prefixes. On top of it, their enemies have different prefixes from mine in multiplayer. You should really look into that.

Yup, even my friends are reporting not seeing prefixes. On top of it, their enemies have different prefixes from mine in multiplayer. You should really look into that.

I didn't write this with multiplayer in mind - I should probably note that in the main post - but I will definitely be looking into syncing this information such that it will work. Not sure how hard that will be. It's also possible that the issue with not seeing prefixes will be solved if I do this, since it seems like it might be a communication issue within the game.

I can tell that the fact that prefixes can be missing is true : I got killed by a Zombie without knowing he was a rune mage despite hovering my mouse over him.

I can tell that the fact that prefixes can be missing is true : I got killed by a Zombie without knowing he was a rune mage despite hovering my mouse over him.
Do you have any other mods active (I'm not saying that the problem lies there, it can also be a bug this mod produced, but it's never wrong to ask... right)?

Back
Top Bottom