problem launching terraria clean install

Misswinter

Terrarian
so i cannot launch terraria at all i keep getting the error below

error.PNG

now before you tell me to install or repair the microsoft xnafx40_redist inside the terraria folder, i have already found that solution on the forum and it does nothing to change this error the error is still appearing even after i reinstall terraia again and after i use that file and click the repair option terraria jut is not launching at all so id love some help

Odd, usually reinstalling XNA will fix this error. So, then perhaps it's a permission and rights issue in attempting to access the DLL. Although, I would usually expect a different exception to be thrown. Quick question: are you using the repair option? Or uninstalling XNA and then reinstalling XNA 4.0, I've found a higher success rate in uninstalling and reinstalling than using the repair function.

Before I begin, lets go over some user claims on having solved your particular error.

One user found success by deleting config.json in \Documents\My Games\Terraria. I don't think you'll have success in doing so, but you should probably try it anyways.

Another user was uninstalled XNA, uninstalled Terraria, then reinstalled Terraria. When steam asks you to perform the first time setup say yes, this will reinstall the dependency using steam.

If those 3 options fail, come back and we'll see if we are able to make sure there isn't a permissions and rights issue with XNA.

i tried the other two options and it didnt work same error but the option with the config.json is impossible for me since there is no config.json since i cannot launch terraria so i cant delete something that isnt there or created yet

Right, very true. Overlooked that, sorry busy week.

Anyways, browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\XNA right click the "Framework" folder and select properties. In the window that pops up click on the "Security" tab. Make sure that the "SYSTEM" group has full control, the "Administrators" group has full control, and that the "Users" group has the "Read & Execute", "List folder contents", and the "Read" permission are all checked. To change the permissions you'll need to click the "edit" button.

Let me know the results of this, and if you need me to clarify something let me knwo.

Back
Top Bottom