Biomes & Nature [Sprites] The Sensation - Inferno of Flavor - Anti-Confection

Totally wasn't expecting this! It's fantastic, though I didn't realize it was possible to make something even more unusually specific than the Confection was. To the point where somehow it feels even more out of place (though not by much). But it's well done! And I really like the colors! The accompanying sculpts are amazing, too.

And here I was thinking the counter to the Confection would be the Consumption, IE, a biome about devouring, or something.

I'm very glad you like it. Like I mentioned a couple times I have several more concepts that broaden the range of spices. I wanted to focus on streamlining it and match the number of enemies Corruption and Crimson have first though before possibly expanding into other biomes.

It seems like there's enough interest in more so I may end up at least making a couple more concept models.
maybe you should remodel some of the current enemies so they look like other spices instead? (I don't like it when an alt biome gets more enemies than the original) And some of the plants too (for example you could change roasted cactuses to dried turmeric cactuses)

maybe you should remodel some of the current enemies so they look like other spices instead? And some of the plants too.

Since the spriting wasn't done by exclusively me, that might be a lot of extra work to ask of others. I had actually thought of variant sprites that would change up the spice and colors. As an example, If you look at the concept gallery there is another kind of soldier (known as an Elder) that uses yellow chilies as armor instead of red pepper. However, I tried to focus on a main group of enemy designs first to have a cohesive set.

Instead of thorns as a hazard, you could have CinnaMines.

You might be on to something. Although it was Chili Powder Kegs that crossed my mind yesterday. :D

But wouldn't the real opposite of sweet be more of a mix of saltiness and bitterness?

From a culinary aspect, maybe. Sourness is sometimes paired against it as well. However, for this I used the sensation of Pungency as a rival to Sweetness, not an exact opposite. It allows for potential hybrid weapons and enemy concepts. With this, you also have a little conflict between natural elements (plantlife, earth, fire) and artificial materials (gelatin, flour, ice cream) thrown in.

It's funny that people keep mentioning Salt though.

I know. Its still a really good idea and I think it really deserves a place in the game. A salt themed biome may be cool though, like you could have salty deserts.

I know. Its still a really good idea and I think it really deserves a place in the game. A salt themed biome may be cool though, like you could have salty deserts.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. Don't worry about Salt though. It took months to finish the first suggestion. ;)

Speaking of, I've made a handful of little updates to the OP sections. It is highly likely there's more to come as well.

I think it would be really cool if there is another mode you can activate, like hard mode, but when it is activated the confection becomes the fresh or something, like some mint and cool flavored themed biome, to better combat the Sensation, and the Sensation becomes the baked or something, a hot and dry, salt and Peppery themed biome. Both could retain some small aspects of their old biomes, but gain a new overall feel and theme, creating a new and more aggressive pair of opposites.

Love the suggestion, the pairing was one I was both expecting and not, I was thinking more of a salt alternate. But it isn't something I'm salty about, the idea spices it up a little, and it's opposition to the Confection is pretty sweet. :naughty:

It's been quiet, hasn't it? I have made a few small updates (such as the dye plants) but there's still a bit of room for growth. So here's a couple pieces of news!

New hazard concept - Pungent Pits
n2ZlMYP.png

Grows naturally from Flakestone blocks in the underground. Requires three blocks of space to grow fully, similar to how trees grow.
Instead of dealing damage to the player like thorns, the black smoke emitted by pits stings the eyes causing
Darkness.png

These fragrant fissures can make deep tunnels even more treacherous. You can mine the blocks under the pit to destroy it.

Secondly, because there were so many interesting enemy ideas that I had to archive, I feel like bringing some of those concepts out by sculpting them. I think some extra heat is in order first.

Who likes fish?

Thank you again, Milt!

So today I have some new content:

Biome Painting - The World on Fire
YDQP8J8.png

Colossal vine forests burst from the spiced, smoking mortars of the Sensation.

Next we have a new enemy concept figure from the archives (a.k.a, the spice cabinet). Monstrous lizards of burning lifeblood - The Salsamander

vOm2UjVl.jpg
6FvVAvcl.jpg

The pictures will also be on my portfolio sometime later.

I have a complaint. Now I want to go eat peppers again.

Yeah that was my complaint, this is an awesome suggestion. I would like to see a terra blade counterpart for this.

Last edited:
I have a complaint. Now I want to go eat peppers again.

Yeah that was my complaint, this is an awesome suggestion. I would like to see a terra blade counterpart for this.

Thank you, Cerberus! I can't remember if Snickerbobble or I came up with a good enough counterpart. Honestly though I think the Terra Blade is pretty universal.

This got so little acknowledgment for its worth. Bump.

I really appreciate you actively supporting my idea, Snails!

So naturally with 1.3 coming so soon I probably won't have much for a while. That said, whatever's next will be for the Snow biome.

Thank you, Cerberus! I can't remember if Snickerbobble or I came up with a good enough counterpart.
I don't think that really matters. They are both well made and complement eachother well. I'd just call it a victory.
Honestly though I think the Terra Blade is pretty universal.
I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed. I understand your point but still I don't like it. But then again I don't really like generic projectile swords.

I meant an interesting approach to a counterpart for the Terra Blade. I also mean thematically universal. It's a symbol of positive and negative energies coalesced into a unified weapon.

The actual sword is somewhat bland, though it's potential DPS is undeniable.

This is absolutely amazing. Not only is it well thought out, and has fantastic sprites, but it appears that you even made sculptures for the enemies (I must also say, they are absolutely phenomenal!).

I can clearly tell that you put a large amount of time into this, and I commend you for that. Even if this doesn't get into the actual game, I'm sure that somebody would eventually attempt to create a tAPI mod for it! Once again, this is tremendously awesome, well done!

Back
Top Bottom