Starting off strong and smart - What I suggest!

GoldenTerrabyte

Empress of Light
Hello everyone! Here, I would like to detail my preferable way of starting a playthrough, to get you new players started, or for veterans who are starting new and may be looking for new methods to starting off! Now my method is a little different than most people, but I find it works for me! :)Anyway, on to the good stuff!

Step 1: Locate a Snow biome!
Now, most people say step 1 should be building a house, but I disagree, and the next few steps will explain why! And in the case you encounter Corruption/Crimson(Those are the dimly lit purple or red biomes, for you new players!), turn around and try the other side! If both sides have Corruption or Crimson before any snow biomes, I suggest trying a new world.:sigh:

Step 2: Chop down trees, kill slimes for gel, and grab some Ice Blocks, and also some stone from a non-snow area!
With your Boreal Wood from the snowy trees, craft the following gear! A workbench so you can make the other things, a fullset of Boreal Wood Armor, a Boreal Wood Sword, a Boreal wood Bow, a Boreal Wood Hammer, and make some torches from the wood and gel, and with the ice blocks you gathered, make those into Ice Torches! Now with the wood and stone, make a bunch of Arrows! Now, with your Ice Torches, make Frostburn Arrows! Now you've got some great starting gear, you can defend yourself well!:D

Step 3: NOW build your house! A few houses, actually!
Now that you've crafted all your Boreal Wood gear, you need not worry about needing more! So you can use as much wood as you want on a house! Light the house with regular OR Ice Torches, it doesn't really matter, just always remember to keep some Ice Torches on hand so you can craft any regular arrows into Frost ones! Place your workbench in your house, and also make a chair! Now that you've built your first house, build a few more around! They can be right on top, more like extra floors, or around like a town, whatever you like! This way villagers can move in, which is a very important thing!

Step 4: Go underground!
Find what you can! Ores, more stone for more arrows, gemstones, and treasure chests! Whenever you find a chest, always take everything that you want, throw out what you don't want, and then take it with you! Always keep as many chests as you can, you'll want to store your extra things so you can always explore with a clear inventory to keep what you find! Also keep an eye out for Life Crystals, they're these huge, magenta crystal hearts you find around underground, mine these cool crystals and use them to increase your health bar by one heart! This is VERY important to surviving better! Also worth noting, going underground in an ice biome is a LITTLE dangerous, I suggest going underground in a normal area for now

Step 5: Gather lots of ores!
Once you have a lot of ore(and hopefully you found some good treasure too) you should return home, I say by logging out and back in, or if you by any chance found a Magic Mirror, use that! Now, place your chests around and store all your blocks and random things! Now, craft a Furnace and Anvil! Make as many ore bars as you can, and make some better armor and other gear! Keep making better stuff until you have full Silver/Tungsten gear or better! And have at least 4 life crystals!

Step 6: Now, to get any further, you must go...
...into the Corruption or Crimson!:eek: I've mentioned these places a few times, but now instead of avoiding them, you must explore them! Now, kill enemies until you have gathered 15 of Rotten Chunks if it's Corruption, or Vertebrae if it's Crimson! And if it's Corruption, also gather 6 Vile Mushrooms, and go back and place a bottle on your workbench and craft Vile Powder.(to get a bottle if you haven't already, either find some in chests, or craft them at a furnace by making Sand into Glass and then into Bottles) Now, go down into one of the holes! If it's Corruption, you should have a Grappling hook to get down more safely, which you can craft with gems! Now find an Altar down there! Craft either a Bloody Spine or Worm Food, and use this to summon the boss! Being either the Brain of Cthulhu, or Eater of Worlds! Defeat said boss, and it will drop all the needed ingredients to make Corrupt/Crimson gear! If you can't make EVERYTHING, repeat these steps again, killing the boss a second time will be easier.

Step 7: DO WHATEVER!
Now with full Corrupt/Crimson gear, you're strong enough to do whatever you want next, so have fun!:happy:

Step 8(not really a "step" this time but whatever) : Extra tips here and there;)

If you ever find any sort of thing with a color in the name (Yellow Marigold, Blue Berries, Green Mushroom, Orange Bloodroot, those are some examples) keep them! These can craft dyes, which is a really fun feature to play with!

If you ever get surprise attacked by the Eye of Cthulhu, try and defeat it! If you do he drops some Demonite/Crimtane, a lot of money, as well as some Corrupt/Crimson seeds that you can plant if you wanna be evil... :naughty:
Plus killing any boss unlocks the Dryad villager, who sells some nice items! But if you did the whole guide without killing the Eye, the Brain/Eater also unlocks the Dryad so you might have her already.:dryadsmile:

Should you encounter the Jungle,(identified by different colored grass, different music, green sky, and ground all made of mud) this biome is dangerous for beginners, but rather safe with some good gear, and it's definitely recommended you explore here when you're strong enough! This place has a lot of cool stuff to find!

If you find a Dungeon(huge building, Old Man walking around) DON'T GO IN YET! If you do, you will find the Dungeon Guardian! A giant, super fast skull that flies by and insta kills you! To go in safely, come around with rather strong gear(I recommend Corrupt/Crimson gear) and talk to the Old Man at night! Defeat Skeletron, and now you can explore the Dungeon!

Last edited:
Not bad. Would like a little mOre info, but otherwise it's not bad.
Yeah, I made it a little unspecific, I'll improve on it every once in a while.

And depending on what 1.3 brings, I may end up redoing the whole thing when 1.3 comes!

come around with rather strong gear(I recommend Corrupt/Crimson gear)
I killed Skeletron BEFORE Eow/Boc :cool:
really good guide though, but I would suggest fighting Eoc first, then Skeletron, then you can get a muramasa and a cobalt shield, and destroyer Eow. if it's Boc then do that first because he's easy :p

Interesting guide.
Can't say I very much agree with grinding wood to get full armor first but it's your style, innit? So do whatever floats you~

Solid tips, but I would also search for Ice chests, as the sword has saved one of my characters butt several times;)

I would put (if in corruption world) "Get bombs and break 2 shadow orbs" on this list as if you get the vilethorn your first priority should be to get mana from fallen stars. Then you can break another shadow orb and wreck the eater of worlds ( With moderate gear, I usually do it with meteorite I get from the orbs meteorite drops. Vilethorn + Space laser for free is an insane start and I usually go straight from there to the dungeon. Skeletron gets wrecked by space laser and you really need the vilethorn for the skulls the float through the walls in the dungeon and in the meteorite.

I've never used grenades since I blew myself up :) Besides Vilethorn wrecks EOW if you hit him straight with it.

Solid tips, but I would also search for Ice chests, as the sword has saved one of my characters butt several times;)
Ice chests are a tad too rare for them to be a main priority, things like that I like to leave as a "find them for yourself if you're lucky, but you don't have to look for it" sort of thing.
I would put (if in corruption world) "Get bombs and break 2 shadow orbs" on this list as if you get the vilethorn your first priority should be to get mana from fallen stars. Then you can break another shadow orb and wreck the eater of worlds ( With moderate gear, I usually do it with meteorite I get from the orbs meteorite drops. Vilethorn + Space laser for free is an insane start and I usually go straight from there to the dungeon. Skeletron gets wrecked by space laser and you really need the vilethorn for the skulls the float through the walls in the dungeon and in the meteorite.
Well the guide really ends at going to the Corruption/Crimson, so Skeletron isn't really touched on. And as for killing the Eater, that's a very self explanatory part, as well as the Vilethorn.

Locate a Snow biome!
Now, most people say step 1 should be building a house, but I disagree, and the next few steps will explain why! And in the case you encounter Corruption/Crimson(Those are the dimly lit purple or red biomes, for you new players!), turn around and try the other side! If both sides have Corruption or Crimson before any snow biomes, I suggest trying a new world.:sigh:
This is mainly an opinion based factor to Terraria. I think this should come later because the Corruption isn't invading in Pre-Hardmode.

GoldenTerrabyte said:
Step 1: Locate a Snow biome!
This is mainly an opinion based factor to Terraria. I think this should come later because the Corruption isn't invading in Pre-Hardmode.
Not really - if your world has crimson on both sides and is fairly close then it can be difficult to get past it...
GoldenTerrabyte's suggestion is sound and for newbies is probably a good idea because they would not be very good at fighting yet. :p

I kinda liked the idea to not start with building houses, when I was new to this game, but having access to a merchant early has proven both handy and valuable. Being able to sell items fairly early sets you up for reforging your gear whenever you see fit and spares you from building X-large storage halls early on.. When I start a new run, I really like to build 5-6 houses and then start to explore with a workbench and a furnace in my inventory (Anvil is crafted during exploration), so I can gear up on the go. More often than not you find all your houses occupied, once you return with all your valuable items.

I don't think your guide is bad, don't misunderstand me, but I feel like your writing can use some more variety. Just saying: About every 2nd sentence is: "Now" [...]. Makes reading a little hard, at least for me...

Best Way 2 Start a World
1.Get At least ~300 wood
2.Go Underground And Find a Lot of explosives
3. use explosives to get sand
4. Make Crafting Stations Like Sawmill,Anvil,Loom,Keg
5.Find Spider Nest and obtain cobwebs
6.Make Molotovs
7. Collect Heart Crystals, Potions,A Grapple, etc.
8.Make bridge of wood in underworld
9.Fight Wof
10.Win

If I want to power up early I build a few houses at spawn then do this:

1. Go looking for Lead/Iron until you have enough to craft a Reinforced Fishing Pole. Sure, go underground if you must.

2. When you have 1 gold piece the merchant should have spawned (he requires 50 silver in the inventory to spawn) so purchase a Bug Net from him.

3. Now make your way across the map to the ocean, collecting bait as you go by slashing grass and breaking rocks. Yep, it can be tough but even the humble spear found in surface chests has enough knockback (third highest in the game) to push back any pesky Crimson/Corruption mobs.

4. If you come across jungle then turn back as you want to check the upper dungeon for a Waterbolt. The Waterbolt is sometimes to be find there. If you find one you can use it find sky islands. Use your rope to climb up to the islands and obtain a Starfury and Lucky Horseshoe. If you don't find a Waterbolt then too bad, but continue to the ocean. if you come across desert, get enough cactus for Cactus armour (which is 1 more defense than Boreal).

5. Now fish the ocean. You will need about 20 bait minimum. Eventually you will get a Reaver Shark - a pickaxe that can mine early Hardmode ores, and is faster and as strong as a Molten pickaxe. You might also find a Sawtooth Shark, it is equal to the Cobalt Chainsaw, and a Swordfish - which is actually a powerful spear.

You can have some of the best gear in pre-hardmode in about 2-3 days from spawning.

Last edited:
I like this! Back when I started terraria in June 2012, I had no Idea how to play, and it took me about a month to fight Eoc :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom