tModLoader The Enigma Mod

I'm not sure how many of the Soul Stone modifiers are placeholder or not, and forgive me for only testing it up to the WoF so far, but a vast majority of them seem to be rather useless for what you would pick as a specification; Sharpshooter for Ranged Damage for example gives you +1 minion from King Slime and Contact Damage that appears to do 0 or 1 damage for me from the EoC. Both of those are incredibly lackluster for what a "sharpshooter" should be, I expected increases to my actual ranged damage and so far it is rather mediocre :L I did however like the combinations that you got for being a Utility Summoner / Shaman, those were nice.

It's a nice concept but it seems like some of the effects you get are absolutely useless for what they should be offering, and a few of the bonuses could serve to be swapped around or slightly redone, especially the contact damage thing.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many of the Soul Stone modifiers are placeholder or not, and forgive me for only testing it up to the WoF so far, but a vast majority of them seem to be rather useless for what you would pick as a specification; Sharpshooter for Ranged Damage for example gives you +1 minion from King Slime and Contact Damage that appears to do 0 or 1 damage for me from the EoC. Both of those are incredibly lackluster for what a "sharpshooter" should be, I expected increases to my actual ranged damage and so far it is rather mediocre :L I did however like the combinations that you got for being a Utility Summoner / Shaman, those were nice.

It's a nice concept but it seems like some of the effects you get are absolutely useless for what they should be offering, and a few of the bonuses could serve to be swapped around or slightly redone, especially the contact damage thing.

The way the Soul Stone works is each boss has 2-4 bonuses to choose from. Each bonus is picked from those 2-4 based on which one would fit better with the subclass. I did not want to just make it increase your ranged damage based on how many bosses you kill, because that is very boring, and many other mods have already done it. I hope that clears it up- if you have more questions let me know!

The way the Soul Stone works is each boss has 2-4 bonuses to choose from. Each bonus is picked from those 2-4 based on which one would fit better with the subclass. I did not want to just make it increase your ranged damage based on how many bosses you kill, because that is very boring, and many other mods have already done it. I hope that clears it up- if you have more questions let me know!

I'm not saying to outright make them flat bonuses or anything, but some of the bonuses seem kind of meh? Contact damage in my opinion is the biggest offender here, I have yet to meet a situation where it's even slightly worth it to run into an enemy to do that because you end up taking way more damage than you do to them. The max minions from the Slime King is mostly fine, but I'm just not the type of player to always use minions despite playing a Ranged/Melee/Magic class, so that one is just eh in my personal opinion. The Hardmode bonuses are looking great though from what I've tested and played around with so far though, those are more universally useful no matter what you're playing, same with the increased movement and jump height, they make great utility no matter if you're playing a tank, mage or ranged character.

I'm not saying to outright make them flat bonuses or anything, but some of the bonuses seem kind of meh? Contact damage in my opinion is the biggest offender here, I have yet to meet a situation where it's even slightly worth it to run into an enemy to do that because you end up taking way more damage than you do to them. The max minions from the Slime King is mostly fine, but I'm just not the type of player to always use minions despite playing a Ranged/Melee/Magic class, so that one is just eh in my personal opinion. The Hardmode bonuses are looking great though from what I've tested and played around with so far though, those are more universally useful no matter what you're playing, same with the increased movement and jump height, they make great utility no matter if you're playing a tank, mage or ranged character.
Alright. Critique of a specific bonus is very welcome! Can you think of another bonus EoC could give besides thorns?

Given how I think the soulstone works, contact damage is the "Damage" bonus right? I'd say that it could probably be replaced with something a bit more useful to most classes but melee in particular, like maybe releasing a small-ish AoE when you're hit or something? I feel like the theme of contact damage is fine, but how it currently is a straight thorns variant is a bit "meh". Not sure how easy it would be to make a radial aoe upon taking damage that scales partially off of currently held item damage maybe?

I also play with the Leveled Mod though, and I'm sure that's partially why I think the vanilla contact damage is rather bland, because taking damage to do a % of the damage taken is hardly ever worth it as a trade, flat damage or a % of your weapon damage would be much better in my opinion

EDIT - Or maybe not even noticeable damage, but something like a mini radial knockback with minimal damage if you're hit, it would go a good way to making any damage playstyle a lot better, but I think a knockback would fall more under utility maybe? I dunno

Last edited:
Given how I think the soulstone works, contact damage is the "Damage" bonus right? I'd say that it could probably be replaced with something a bit more useful to most classes but melee in particular, like maybe releasing a small-ish AoE when you're hit or something? I feel like the theme of contact damage is fine, but how it currently is a straight thorns variant is a bit "meh". Not sure how easy it would be to make a radial aoe upon taking damage that scales partially off of currently held item damage maybe?

I also play with the Leveled Mod though, and I'm sure that's partially why I think the vanilla contact damage is rather bland, because taking damage to do a % of the damage taken is hardly ever worth it as a trade, flat damage or a % of your weapon damage would be much better in my opinion

EDIT - Or maybe not even noticeable damage, but something like a mini radial knockback with minimal damage if you're hit, it would go a good way to making any damage playstyle a lot better, but I think a knockback would fall more under utility maybe? I dunno
How about spawning frantic eyeballs upon taking damage?

How about spawning frantic eyeballs upon taking damage?

Honestly that sounds pretty fine and it fits with beating the EoC, would be a bit more damage-y as well than a little mini radial proc as well. Basically a Bee version of the Queen Bee thing that spawns bees upon taking damage, and that sounds amazing honestly!

Honestly that sounds pretty fine and it fits with beating the EoC, would be a bit more damage-y as well than a little mini radial proc as well. Basically a Bee version of the Queen Bee thing that spawns bees upon taking damage, and that sounds amazing honestly!
Awesome! Thanks very much for the feedback. Look for that change in the next update :)

This mod looks amazing, the only question I have is does it still over write the aquatic depths biome if on the same side and is it possible for it to overwrite the dungeon like someone else stated? Thanks for any help, Mod looks amazing :)

This mod looks amazing, the only question I have is does it still over write the aquatic depths biome if on the same side and is it possible for it to overwrite the dungeon like someone else stated? Thanks for any help, Mod looks amazing :)
Obsidium goes all the way from the surface to the underworld, so Aquatic Depths would only override the top of it. Thanks for the compliments! `:D

The mod loader pops up an unknown error when I try to download Enigma and the direct download link is a 404.

Hi, Loving the mod so far, However after making one of the health crystals (the +150 life one) I realizes I have infinite potion sickness... is this intentional? and is there a way around this? I'm really not sure if the tradeoff is worth it the extra 150 is hard to pass but no health potions is brutal...
Thanks, have a wonderful day and thanks for the awesome mod :D

Hi, Loving the mod so far, However after making one of the health crystals (the +150 life one) I realizes I have infinite potion sickness... is this intentional? and is there a way around this? I'm really not sure if the tradeoff is worth it the extra 150 is hard to pass but no health potions is brutal...
Thanks, have a wonderful day and thanks for the awesome mod :D
It isn't infinite potion sickness, it is perpetually 1 minute. This is to make the Healing Crystals not overpowered. Once you enter hardmode and start being able to combine crystals, you will be able to equip more than the amount 1 healing potion would heal you for. This is mainly for boss fights, if you want to gamble whether or not you would be able to defeat the boss within 2 minutes of the fight.

Glad you're enjoying the mod! :D

Do things like the philosoiphers stone effect it? (less perpetual potion sickness i.e. 30 sec. instead of a min.?)
and Thanks for the quick reply :D

Do things like the philosoiphers stone effect it? (less perpetual potion sickness i.e. 30 sec. instead of a min.?)
and Thanks for the quick reply :D
Nope. It always gives a full 60 seconds of potion sickness when you equip any healing potion accessory, except the Artifact of Restoration, and the seconds only start ticking down when you unequip it.

Wow... well I feel dumb... didn't realize that the artifact of restoration got rid of it... well I feel dumb... Well thanks for the quick reply and awesome mod :D looking forward to making that :D

Back
Top Bottom