Story The Lamentation of the Moon Lord

What should I write next?

• Somthing NOT Terraria based (Probably not on these forums)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter thirty eight: The Eclipse goes on

As the ranks of weaker monsters thinned slightly, the largest of them all grew restless, and let out a peculiar shriek as it lunged at the 'Hero'. They saw the gigantic Moth coming, and hopped up to the main building, starting to swing. Bracing themself through a lunge or two, the Moth went down as the monsters below were dealt with by the Eyes. As the Moth crumpled, the shard of an Old Sword dislodged itself from the beast, which the 'Hero' pocketed.

Going back to the Bunker, a bat flew toward the Village. It managed to reach the Bunker, transforming into a Vampire just as the Eyes turned around. They made short work of the vampires, as well. Along with the Vampire Bats came Butchers, with the faces of pigs, squealing as they charged at the Bunker with their chainsaws. They did not make it as far. Even small polished Spheres came flying in, producing Deadly spikes as they grew closer. The spikes didn't even leave a dent in the walls.

The 'Hero' finished relaxing, and went out to collect dropped remains once more. As they did, a Psycho came at them with a knife, hiding in plain sight nearby. Only landing one hit, the Psycho was slashed in return, except by a much larger blade. Another Mothron also came, interrupting the looting of the bodies, as the 'Hero' fended it off.

Just as the Mothron was collapsing, a Doctor that had done one too many experiments threw a Flask of Acid at the 'Hero'. It missed, as they were already heading back, leaving the Eyes to tear Dr. Man Fly apart. Last of all, walking calmly through the charging monsters, was a Sadist covered in Nails, which would launch them out occasionally. Not as weak as the others, it brushed off the attacks from the Eyes, marching closer. The 'Hero' simply grinned, safe within their little Bunker, and watched as the Eyes still got the job done, albeit a lot slower.

And so the Day continued, with the 'Hero' safe and sound, barring the forays out to loot, or the rare Mothron attack. The Moon Lord was slightly appalled, as the monsters were torn apart in an uninterestedly casual manner at times, with no regard for if they were as horrible as they seemed. They were, as the Moon Lord had checked, but the 'Hero' shouldn't have known that.

As the sun set, the Monsters withdrew, leaving only a field of mangled parts, one or two still twitching. Giving the Village a sweep over, the 'Hero' set out, and did some fishing for the night. And the Moon Lord sighed, reaching to the stars once more, rummaging around. Finding a Clan, this one was a Clan more focused on numbers, and had recovered the fastest as they had repopulated rapidly. Calling to them, the Moon Lord enlisted their help once more, and they set to work, amassing an army worthy of the task they had been given.

So, new Poll! I'll give a rundown of the 5 options, and my thoughts so far...

1. New Story, with an OC
For this, I'm thinking of writing more about the Solar Coven, and the Lunar Coven. Since the Solar Coven is my own invention, it can't be canon, unlike the battles so far. The 'Hero' will also not be present, as it will be set in the past, from before they came.

2. Continue into an Alternate reality
By request from a reader. How this will probably go, is the Moon Lord is defeated, then goes to an alternate dimension, trapped in a different character's body. Will probably be a late game character again, or a friendly NPC/summon/pet. This time, the world will be crimson.

3. Rewrite The Lamentation of the Moon Lord
Let's be honest. If someone picked this up, and had not played Terraria, they would have no clue what is going on. Plus, there is little interaction between characters, beyond the fighting. A rewrite would fix all these issues. The original would be kept here, with the rewrite on a separate thread.

4. New story, NO OC
Similar to this, all the battles would happen similar to in game, with the same progression. Different world though, so the Player is less likely to kill everyone. To make things adorable, it will be told from the Collector Edition Bunny's point of view.

5. Non-Terraria Story
Already have something in mind for this, but not currently focusing on it, or publishing anywhere. For those of you who want something new and different!

So! Give these a ponder, the actual story written after LotML will be chosen after the Moon Lord has been summoned at least once. Votes can be changed at any time `:)

Chapter thirty nine: More undead hordes

Once the 'Hero' had done their fishing, and put everything away, that set out once more. The Moon Lord watched as they reached the Dungeon Entrance, and went inside. The Lunar Coven, seeing the one they had prepared for, awoke their undead army, and sent out the weaker minions first, as the rest stirred.

First up came the most Ragged of the Warriors, wielding whatever weapons they had fallen with, armour fallen into disrepair. Brought back with the cunning and fighting strength that they possessed while alive, they marched forth, trying to get at the 'Hero'. The Eyes took care of most, with the remainder dodged and cleaved in two by the 'Hero's' blade. They were mining out a small section of the Dungeon, making it a small platform at the top, from which they started firing at the enemies below.

A Sniper came next, trying to get a good shot at the 'Hero'. They simply moved to the middle of the platform, using it to block the shot as the Eyes took care of it. Having dealt with both their Melee Warriors and those who possessed Ranged weaponry, the next to be sent out was a Ragged Caster, who wielded their magic in the form of small intelligent Souls, and directed them at the 'Hero'. Stumbling as one hit them, they attacked the Caster rapidly, getting hit by another before the Caster fell.

For a moment, those were the only Undead Soldiers that came, with a few weaker ones still being resurrected by the Moon Lord's magic from when the 'Hero' had first appeared. Then, in the rooms far to the Left and Right, the other members of the Coven had sent of their Soldiers, which took longer to reach the battle, and as such were sent out less frequently.

From the Left came the Warriors that had accepted being imbued with Fire, flames sparked anew by the Coven's magic. Brandishing their Molten Weapons, they tried to reach the 'Hero', but to no avail. From the Right, there came the Warriors that had been better preserved, fallen later in the War and as such, their Armour was still sturdy. It did them little good though, as the 'Hero' perched on top of the platform, waiting for more to pile up below them.

Occasionally, one of the fallen Warriors had a particularly strong Spirit, which flew at the 'Hero' in an attempt to exact revenge. The Eyes made short work of them though, and those that got through rarely landed a hit before being ripped through by the 'Hero's' sword.

And so the 'Hero fought on, as those stronger still came, and the ancient general himself began to stir, the Coven's magic filling him up with the urge to defend his ancient stronghold once more...

Chapter forty: A generally difficult battle

The Lunar Coven subtly pulled the corpses away, and began the process of putting back together those that could be. As they did so, a few souls banded together, their bodies now unusable, and formed a ghastly Giant Cursed Skull. The moment the Skull entered the room though, the 'Hero' turned to it, and sliced it apart. Then, they hopped down, to collect the items left behind.

Mid way through picking stuff up, the 'Hero' whirled around as another Caster appeared, this one skilled in the fiery magics. Summoning a condensed Inferno, the undead Caster found a blade sticking through it before the spell could finish casting. As the 'Hero' pulled the blade back out, a skeleton skilled in martial arts slammed a flying kick into their back. The 'Hero' responded by slashing at them a few times, then leaping up to the platform once more, letting the Eyes finish it off.

Next came the remainder of the artillery, hiding behind the waves of Soldiers. From the Left, there came a skeleton wielding a Shotgun, who sent a spray of bullets at the 'Hero' up on the platform. None of them made contact, and the Soldiers did not protect the Shotgunner for long. From the right, however, can a Commando, hefting a large Rocket Launcher. Not noticing, the 'Hero' got caught in the blast of the first shell, and directed their attention, and their attacks, and bringing it down. After another shot from the Rocket Launcher, the Commando crumpled, and was taken away for resurrection.

With a few of the tougher enemies coming back into the fray, the last of the Casters joined in, a Necromancer back in the day. Stripped of their power to raise the dead when they had joined them, they kept the title nonetheless. Popping up below the platform, they fired a potent magical beam, which ricochet of the walls to try and get at the 'Hero'. Sadly, the angles were bad, barely grazing the 'Hero', and grabbing their attention. They stood right where they were, and let the Eyes take care of it.

And then there was a thud, of a great armoured boot. Leading a wave of Armoured Soldiers, there came the general of the Lunar Army of old, the mighty Paladin. Each step reverberated through the walls, as the giant armoured knight strode into the battle. Batting an eye to the side with their thick and sturdy Shield, the Paladin hefted their magical Hammer, and looked for this foe they were to face.

The 'Hero', unfortunately for them, had just hopped down to collect. Ducking under a Hammer as it whistled over their helmet, the 'Hero' began slashing at the Paladin, knocking at their Shield or Hammer, whichever got in the way first. The Paladin pressed on, a tall crushing wall of metal bearing down on their opponent. The 'Hero' kept inching backward, always slashing away, as their summoned Eyes warded of the rest of the enemies.

The confrontation of these two stubborn combatants creeped across the room, with the Eyes occasionally sweeping past to change sides, clipping the Paladin in the process. The 'Hero' made sure to cut down any enemy to get past the eyes, lest they push him into the uncomfortable end of that large Hammer. And so, as minuscule as the damage was, each blow began to add up, and the Paladin's armour grew dented and worn, with it eventually crumbling to the ground.

Panting, the 'Hero' drank a potion, and retreated to their ledge, and the conflict continued for another day.

'Hero' was slain by Paladin.
Hero's skull was crushed by Paladin.

Why were you guys so sure the 'Hero' would die?':eek: The Paladin may be a hard fight, but is still manageable, if you see him coming.

Also, Sorry for another split event. I want to prevent these chapters from getting too long, but some areas deserve a bit more attention. Like the first Paladin fight, for example, is too small for it's own chapter, but is big enough to make the Hard Dungeon quite lengthy.

Chapter forty one: Broken

Relaxing on the platform, the 'Hero' hopped down now and then, letting the Eyes do all the work. Swinging at the Casters whenever they appeared, they stayed safe and sound up on their perch, waiting for droves of enemies to mill about below them.

The Paladin made a second appearance eventually, armour repaired by the Lunar Coven. This time, the 'Hero' had remained on their platform, and rained attacks down on the General instead. Despite being infuriated by the cowardice of their opponent, the Paladin's Hammers were easily dodged, and the mighty warrior fell once more.

As time passed, a trip was made back to town, as to put things away. Apparently, a Cyborg had moved in at some point while they were gone, filling up one of the last rooms in the Village, with the remainder of the dwellings having been built as spares. Greeting the new Villager on the way past, the 'Hero' deposited their items, then went back to the Dungeon.

The endless waves of enemies managing to accomplish nothing was starting to break the Coven's spirit a little, and so the General devised one last plan. Calling forth one of the Ragged Casters, the Paladin suited up, and told the Caster to wait until the Paladin had started to attack the 'Hero' before entering the fray. Nodding obediently, they watched carefully as the Paladin snuck closer, biding their time.

As the 'Hero' hopped down for yet another sweep for loot, the Paladin strode forward, sending forth waves of Soldiers to help distract the Eyes. The 'Hero' turned, and began the same backpedaling that they had used in the first encounter. Smiling under their helmet, the Paladin pushed the attack, as the Caster took their cue, and appeared behind the 'Hero', spells already flying from it's hands.

The first spell clipped the 'Hero's' ankle as they leapt into the air, dodging the rest. The Hammers though, they found their mark. Slamming the 'Hero' into a wall, the second and third Hammer struck true as well, and the 'Hero' shattered, leaving only a small pile of coins. Satisfied that they had served the Moon Lord well, the Undead Horde retreated, and the Coven hesitated, wondering if that was the end.

As the sun fell to the horizon, so did the Coven's hopes, as the 'Hero' returned, the same as ever. And so, they warily began to raise their army once more, as the 'Hero' drew their sword.

And the Moon Lord smiled.

So, a bit of commentary before I write the next chapter (Wait about half an hour, and it will be up.)
How the Lamentation of the Moon Lord came to be, and how it continues to be written. I'll be honest, the only priority I have here is to have fun writing. I don't do this professionally, and I have no intention to. I do not plan future chapters, beyond a vague idea at times. I also write them directly into these comment fields, no drafts, you see them as they come. The chapter I upload after this, I don't even know what I will put in it yet.

This is the reason they are so full of mistakes, and sometimes, they don't make sense. They are also why I declined Hoodini's offer to edit for me. The current haphazard way they are written shows just how spontaneous this story is, which to me at least, is part of it's charm.

I have begun reading Story of a Paladin last night, and it is amazing. Truly, he writes it seriously, and as if it were to be made into a book. That is part of the reason it is better, as he irons out all of the errors, looks back before posting, and lays everything out. While I could do that, it would be less fun for me. Like I said, I only write for pleasure. I was actually expecting to drop this by chapter 10-15. But, the story grew to be something intriguing, and I have enjoyed the attention it has gained.
That said, onto the next story, and what I have planned. Currently, the votes are pretty close between the OC story, and the POV one. I will only write one, and it will be done in the same fashion as this (See above)

OC - The Extinction of the Solar Coven.
This will be about the rise and fall of the Solar Coven, and why the Jungle Temple and Dungeon even exist. The name will probably change, but since the Solar Coven isn't in Terraria, they will either be wiped out, or exiled. Yet to decide. They joy is, I can have a lot more freedom, as it will be set before Terraria, which is so far an untold story (By the devs. The fans have gone nuts telling it `:p)

POV - Fluffy-Bunnykins's Cutesy Diary.
Yup. You read that right. The story of Terraria again, but from the eyes of a bunny. It will be adorable. No new characters, and no names (except those bestowed by Fluffy-Bunnykins). Different Player Character as well. No Solar Coven will be mentioned, nor any other new creation. I have tried to stick to a beleivable story that could happen in Terraria for LotML, but have ended up adding slight variations to make the Moon Lord more prominent. This will not happen in FBCD, as the Bunny Pet can just be summoned the whole game.

So, that all said, the other options are still open, so I will look into them more if they are voted on. Have fun deciding~
So, all that done... Back to writing!

Chapter forty two: Time creeps onward

The Moon Lord watched, as the Lunar Coven did their best, raising and maintaining the Undead army as the 'Hero' slaughtered it mercilessly. Each Soldier that went down, they came back faster than before. The Coven was getting stronger, and through the Tablet they worshipped, the Moon Lord could send more of his power to the Ancient Leader of them all, granting him forgotten magics long since faded from their history.

Days turned into weeks, and the 'Hero' fell once again. They would take breaks for fishing now and then, but often returned, harvesting what they could from those that opposed them. The Lunar Coven would falter at times, but they held together, sending wave after wave upon the Moon Lord's command. And the power of both sides grew a little more. Eventually, the 'Hero' tired of the endless slaughter, and left, giving the Coven a reprieve. They remained watchful though, should the 'Hero' ever return.

As the 'Hero' went back to the Corruption, the Moon Lord went back to searching the Stars, trying to find another Clan to bring back to his cause. As he searched, he found something... Unexpected. It was small, peculiar device, and it was scanning the worlds it passed by for something. And so, the Moon Lord tested it, by sending forth a small Demonic Eye, to see how it would react.

The Probe swung around, and scanned the Eye. It hovered for a moment, seemingly conversing with something, or someone. A decision was reached, regardless, and it turned away, uninterested in the crude beast.

The Moon Lord then sent out the King of all Slimes, to envelop the device, and bring it back for safekeeping. Agreeing out of curiosity, the Slime King trapped it easily, but could not send it back to the Moon Lord's throne. Curious. Waving it off, he told the King to send it to the World they watched over, and to keep it busy. The Moon Lord wanted to investigate it better first, as to find out it's capabilities... And it's creators.

Looking back at the 'Hero', they had just finished planting a Pumpkin Patch, and were going back to the Lihzahrd Temple, clinking and clanking with the sound of Potions. Settling back, the Moon Lord got ready to witness this fight, as the 'Hero' was undoubtedly going to activate the Solar Coven's most powerful weapon... One which had made him resort to the clans in order to end the war.

Back
Top Bottom