Biomes & Nature [Tobbvald's Tinkering] The Contagion (f.k.a. Corrosion)

This seems like a pretty darn good suggestion, and the sprites look good too. My one quibble, if I were to raise any, would probably be with the boss material. Chitin Plating just seems too plain. Now, follow some flawed logic of mine for a moment. One place that butterflies (and I believe moths as well) have chitinous "scales" like those shown is on their wings. These "scales" are so fine that they leave a dusty residue when the wings are touched. What else resembles a dusty residue? Spores, something closely related to the Contagion. So, I'd suggest making the boss drop match more closely with the wing colour than the body, making it look a bit more "infected", and calling it something that captures that, like "Chitinous Spores".

This seems like a pretty darn good suggestion, and the sprites look good too. My one quibble, if I were to raise any, would probably be with the boss material. Chitin Plating just seems too plain. Now, follow some flawed logic of mine for a moment. One place that butterflies (and I believe moths as well) have chitinous "scales" like those shown is on their wings. These "scales" are so fine that they leave a dusty residue when the wings are touched. What else resembles a dusty residue? Spores, something closely related to the Contagion. So, I'd suggest making the boss drop match more closely with the wing colour than the body, making it look a bit more "infected", and calling it something that captures that, like "Chitinous Spores".
Brilliant observation there! There are so many layers and ways to correlate the different ideas used in this biome that I still keep finding new ones myself!

And Chitinous spores is a great idea, as it will help me find a new name for the armor, which feels whoefully out of place at the moment.

During this time of year, Halloween, I find myself full with newfound motivation to work on this suggestion some more! Here, have the Lightning Bug-equivalent of any Covert/Contagion playthrough: The Maggot

kl1340r.png

It spawns in the Evil biome instead of the Good one, during daytime with the same spawnrate as the Lightning Bugs of a Hallow/Corruption -playthrough.

I've updated the OP.

Appears to be thoroughly done, and the concept is executed excellently. This also has great sprites (like the Covert). Nice work!

Just getting my themes straight here.

Corruption = Cancer, Darkness
Contagion = Putrefaction, Death
Crimson = Tumor, Disorder

Hallow vs. Corruption = Light vs. Dark
Covert vs. Contagion = Life vs. Death
Crimson vs. Cyber = Order vs. Chaos

Looks good. :)

It would be amazing if the developers took the time to go through and implement all of this.

Appears to be thoroughly done, and the concept is executed excellently. This also has great sprites (like the Covert). Nice work!

Just getting my themes straight here.

Corruption = Cancer, Darkness
Contagion = Putrefaction, Death
Crimson = Tumor, Disorder

Hallow vs. Corruption = Light vs. Dark
Covert vs. Contagion = Life vs. Death
Crimson vs. Cyber = Order vs. Chaos

Looks good. :)

It would be amazing if the developers took the time to go through and implement all of this.
You got that almost right! Contagion would rather be Plague or Parasitism along with death.

To fill out the other half of the chart:

Hallow = Beauty, Deceit, Light
Covert = Rebirth, Exclusion, Life
Cyber = Totality, Cleansing, Order

Note that "Good" biomes have 3 major factors rather than two. One extra fundament; the twisted one turning them into the aggressive over-embracing paragons that they are.

Glad you like it!

-And indeed. It would be amazing if the Developers were to consider adding this in its entirety, it would complete so many patterns that Zoomo and I are seeing, allowing for even further speculation than is possible now.

And finally, considering you liked these parts, consider following the link in my signature to read the rest of Tobbvald's Tinkering, seeing as these are but two factors of the whole. I would love hearing your opinion of the rest!

Edit: Like said previously, this thread gets a lot of attention from me today!

-I've now added new sprites for both Chitinous Spores (Behe-drop), and Miasma.

Last edited:
Oh my lord, that typo gave me the laugh of the day. Somehow it makes perfect sense though.

Someone really ought to develop a mod around this to play with, or this gets put into vanilla gameplay :p

This is most top notch!

I didn't know you were a digital painter too, awesome! It looks great, I figured the stuff on top was probably just moss/grass and not tentacles, haha. Looks like I was kinda off with my interpretation, woops =P
Thanks! -And actually, with the Contagion, what's tentacle and what's just growth is a bit blurry. It's more like the moss has tentacle-like stalks, which it has perfect control over and use to form strong fibers with which to snare or puppeteer. Consider it the glue with which all the mossborn are stuck together with. -And yes, it has some degree of sentience.

Reactions: Fry
Thanks! -And actually, with the Contagion, what's tentacle and what's just growth is a bit blurry. It's more like the moss has tentacle-like stalks, which it has perfect control over and use to form strong fibers with which to snare or puppeteer. Consider it the glue with which all the mossborn are stuck together with.
Ah, neat! Now I understand the mossborns a lot better, haha! So in reality, all the creatures are just puppets controlled by the parasitic moss?

Ah, neat! Now I understand the mossborns a lot better, haha! So in reality, all the creatures are just puppets controlled by the parasitic moss?
Yes. And that's what makes this particular evil special, it's almost natural, twisted of course, but not too far-fetched. The Mossborn are all victims who have at some point fallen into the marshlands and been mummified, whom the Parasitic moss/fungi could then easily take hold of.

Fun fact: Cordyceps (Which is an actual mushroom) is exactly that, a parasitic mushroom that can keep the host caterpillar "alive" even after death. This suggestion just ponders a what-if scenario where these parasites got hold of the ability to do similar things to larger masses.

Reactions: Fry
Yes. And that's what makes this particular evil special, it's almost natural, twisted of course, but not too far-fetched. The Mossborn are all victims who have at some point fallen into the marshlands and been mummified, whom the Parasitic moss/fungi could then easily take hold of.

Fun fact: Cordyceps (Which is an actual mushroom) is exactly that, a parasitic mushroom that can keep the host caterpillar "alive" even after death. This suggestion just ponders a what-if scenario where these parasites got hold of the ability to do similar things to larger masses.
That's such an interesting setting, this concept just gets better and better, haha!

Ah yes, I've heard a bit about that "Zombie" fungus, and how it can control small insects. I love that you built on the concept, it's perfect for the Contagion. Not to mention the name "Contagion" makes even more sense to me now, haha.

By the way, I saw that you changed the Behe-drops to Chitinous Spores rather than the plating, will that effect the look of the armor? Cause I was thinking of drawing it, but if you're gonna change it, I should probably wait =P

By the way, I saw that you changed the Behe-drops to Chitinous Spores rather than the plating, will that effect the look of the armor? Cause I was thinking of drawing it, but if you're gonna change it, I should probably wait =P
I don't know. I don't have any planned changes because if anything, this new drop makes more sense considering how the armor actually looks.

Back
Top Bottom