PC Ultimate basic guide to a pure world

Guest735

Terrarian
----------------------------
Game Version: 1.4.0.5
+ 1.4.4.2 detail
----------------------------

PRE-HARDMODE:
Right at the beginning (with a cactus pickaxe, some hammer and some viable weapon for example), separate the extremities of the evil biome from the pure regions with 3 blocks of space, going around the biome, in a "U" shape, from surface to underground to surface again, getting that shape at the end:
222333.png

The number of regions with an evil biome depends on the size of your world, and in some cases some of these regions are generated together connected to each other, a small world is usually two regions for example.
Replace possible extremities of evil grass with stone blocks(some other blocks that is not mud or dirt can also serve) (normally needed in areas of the surface) to avoid growing something that spreads the evil biome(I mean in the parts of the tunnels made to separate the evil from pure), this way for example:
3.png

Keep 3 blocks of space in case of corruptible background walls too destroying them, these that are seen in this link:

You also have the option to do this all that I mentioned above only in the part of the surface layer where the evil grass grows, leaving the rest for later when you have better equipment, since apparently only the evil grass spreads the evil biome in the pre-hardmode as Sora_92 spoke in this topic but it may still be important to separate the entire evil biome still in the pre-hardmode.

Ready!
Now you can spend the rest of the pre-hardmode without worrying about the evil biome that is contained (for now), so you can spend as much time as you want in the pre-hardmode doing what you want, keeping the happiness of the npcs under control and the correct functioning of the pylons.

HARDMODE:

PURIFYING ALL THE "V"
Beat a mechanic boss as fast as possible to buy the clentaminator of the npc steampunker, use the clentaminator with the purity ammunition in the famous entire "V" of the hallow and Evil biome, this "V" is formed by beating the wall of fresh boss for the first time and starts from the center of the world in hell and goes to the surface, and the longer it exists the more it will spread if not contained or eliminated.
In this process of eliminating the "V" with clentaminator it may be necessary to make many tunnels inside it, gaining many things from these biomes including blocks to make those same biomes in the future in an artificial and contained way.
A world with the "V" purified with clentaminator:
22334.png

CONTAINING ALL THE "V"
You have the option to contain the "V" in a similar way to what I said in the pre-hardmode part, but now in hardmode you usually have easier access to more explosives and other ways to dig faster at the beginning, different from the beginning of the pre-hardmode, and this option can be better than eliminating all the "V" as Sora_92 said in the topic comment, since you don't have to beat a mechanical boss to do this, and the process can be even faster:
123456.png

When eliminating/containing the big "V", some parts may go unnoticed, it may be necessary to watch the regions already visited of the world looking at the big map looking for forgotten parts of Hallow or evil.

ALTARS:
The more Demon Altars/Crimson Altars you destroy in hardmode, the more hallow and evil biomes can be spread beyond the famous "V" in other random places, but you are not obliged to destroy these things, the ores distributed by these things can also be obtained by fishing crates.
In relation to what @Sora_92 said in the topic comment, yes, it may be faster to get the first pre-hardmode ores by destroying the altars, but in the end, the best armor of these ores is only slightly better than the best pre-hardmode armors, you can choose to switch from your pre-hardmode armor to the hallowed armor (usually beating 2 mechanical bosses), and the summoner class is another example, it does not need these ores to make armor with the spider armor obtained from the spiders, and the hardmodes ores can be obtained by fishing if you are good at fishing.
If you don't want to worry about the hallow and evil created destroying the altars, better not break any.
In this case you have the choice: get adamantite/titanium armor fast by destroying the altars and usually spreading hallow and evil, or choose the opposite of this.

Ready!
Eliminating or containing the famous "V", not destroying the Demon Altars/Crimson Altars, and containing/separating the hallow and evil biomes that you make on the pure regions, with that all your world will be controlled and you can spend as much time as you want in this your world without anything unwanted to spread, keeping the happiness of the npcs under control and the correct functioning of the pylons.

Small worlds are easier to control and that’s obvious.

+ 1.4.4.2 detail
Destroying altars is now just happiness on this subject, it no longer causes the focus of corruption in the world as the new set of versions changelogs said.

Last edited:
Is it okay to post here? Because there would be plenty of other things to add, I think.

But for start, let's see.

Pre-Hardmode

At the start, and generally in the entire pre-hardmode, the spread of the evil is barely every a real concern. there is usually something like a tiny stone/metal deposit, or a random sulflower that blocks the spread, as long as these are left intact, or replaced with other non-corruptible blocks, it's all fine for the rest of pre-hardmode.

also
where thorns can grow, the usual 3 blocks gap is not enough, because thorns (given the time) will reach to the other side of the gap, and infect it. so I would recommend a 8 blocks gap in grassy areas for extra safety.

I would also HIGHLY advise against using stone to contain it, because that will get infected from the corrupt grass next to it, the moment you enter hardmode and stone is no longer immune to the spread.
while in pre-hardmode the only thing that spreads the biome is grass (and possibly stuff growing from it, thorns and vines) in hardmode, stone, sand and the like will spread it, so using stone to fill those gaps will come back later at you and bite into your foot.

I would rather recommend using non-corruptible blocks. clay is usually the first thing that comes to mind, but clay is a rather rare material so spending it on this sounds like a bit of a waste.
dirt works in areas where there is no grass (it work awesome underground where there's no grass!), but there areas are about stopping the grass spread, so obviously dirt doesn't works here.
however there is a sort of block that most players have tons of in storages, and it is non-corruptible. because it's dropped by certain enemies. that is, granite! it can be a great choice.

naturally, wood and any artifical block such as bricks work as well, you can even try to build some building like an outpost guarding the border of the evil biome. it also doubles to stop thorns from reaching the other side.
village border outpost.png

Hardmode

On the usual playthrough, if you're not a super pro, the "Beat a mechanic boss as fast as possible" means quite some time to prepare, and the evil happily will spread to large areas by that time.

I would also highly advise against purifying those biomes completely, both the evil biomes and the hallow are sources of many awesome materials and other gadgets you would lose access to, if you clean there, and setting up artifical biomes can take time. sure, you can do that, but if these biomes are in acceptable places, it might be fine to leave at least some part of them be there, for the valuable loot. and whatever other reasons.

I would recommend using explosives (dynamites are better since they leave a bigger hole, so you can quaranteene off these areas faster.
It can be combined with clemtaminator once that is available to purify certain areas more easily too, - and also purification powder, while the clemtaminator is not available yet, however the powder's range is quite small.

But I would generally leave some part of these newly formed biomes intact for the awesome loot you can find there.

There are also all sorts of other ways.

Fighting the evil with the power of good, that is, the Hallow. if you have decent surface hallow so pixies spawn somewhere, getting the material for holy water is not very difficult, and it can be used to quicky spread the hallow to some areas, which will be then protected from the evil, at the cost of turning the area hallow.
It can be purified later or something (best if this area is at least somewhat contained so neither biome can get too out of control.
this can be a good way to quicky protect a town that is about to be devoured by the evil biome. perticularly desert towns which are among the most vulnerable regarding this. (because all 3 main block types making up the desert are corruptible, and digging tunnels in the sand is a real nightmare)

So, I would recommend quaranteening areas around the edges of the V, with explosives and stuff at the start of hardmode. then you can mind your business a bit more freely. don't purify it, just in areas where it's necessary, either because too dangerous, or too close to a town (or it used to be a town which you want to restore instead of blowing it up (this is most likely something regarding cavern towns).

Now onto the topic of altars. Most players go for them as the very first thing upon entering hardmode, but I would highly advise against them. once an atar is smashed, the pirates might invade on their own, as well as the mech bosses start to occassionally pay a visit the night too. the mech bosses can be dealth with by letting them kill the player (not an option for hardcore, but let's leave that aside now) or just by staying underground the whole night, so they will not attack. pirates however will persist until defeated and they can be an enormous pain if they decide to attack right away while you're still jumping around in your molten armor (or anything else pre-hardmode).

getting better weapons first can be very useful. golden shower, cursed flames and crystal storm all can be crafted without the need of a mythril/orichalc anvill, as long as you found the wizard and have a bookscase.
for ranger, buying a shotgun is also a great option. and there are all sorts of new bullets to try.

fishing can be a wise way to chose, but getting enough ores for a full armor takes a crazy amount of patience and even more luck with RNG. what I would recommend aiming for is enough mythil/orichalc for an anvil. you might get enough adamantite/titanium meanwhile to create a hardmode furnace too.
with that done, you can craft quite good wings like the harpy wings, and several other rather strong early hardmode weapons.

smashing altars

at that point, going for the altars might a good time (if you don't have the patience to fish so much, and most players likely doesn't have)
each smashed altar has 1/3 chance to turn a singe, random, corruptible block (most likely stone) in the cavern layer currupted/crimsoned (what evil the world has) or hallowed. these will spread and finding them can be tricky, so they might grow quite big by the time the player finds them... but once found, they can be quaranteened too, with explosives, etc. or purified once a clemtaminator is available.

destroyed altars bless 3 ores upon the world (cobalt/palladium, mythril/orichalc, and adamantite/titanium) the first smashed altar the first tier, the 2nd the 2nd tiers and the 3rd the 3rd tier.
the 4th smashed altar would bless more of the 1st tier, the 5th of the 2nd tier, and so forth, However, these will bless half the amount of the previous.
e.g. the 4th altar will bless 1/2 of the amount of cobalt/palladium on the world than what the 1st altar did. the 7th will bless 1/2 of that the 4th one did, and so forth.
while each carrying that 1/3 chance risk of turning one corruptible block corrupted.
therefore I would recommend to NOT smash more than 3 altars. the rewards for further altars doesn't really worths the risk.

there are surely many things I forgotten, but these are some ideas from the top of my head to add to this topic.

Is it okay to post here? Because there would be plenty of other things to add, I think.
I wanted to make the guide very basic, but you can post here at will, you can add anything you want.

At the start, and generally in the entire pre-hardmode, the spread of the evil is barely every a real concern. there is usually something like a tiny stone/metal deposit, or a random sulflower that blocks the spread, as long as these are left intact, or replaced with other non-corruptible blocks, it's all fine for the rest of pre-hardmode.
The restraint in the shape of "U" that I said will protect the region in hardmode too.

also
where thorns can grow, the usual 3 blocks gap is not enough, because thorns (given the time) will reach to the other side of the gap, and infect it. so I would recommend a 8 blocks gap in grassy areas for extra safety.

I would also HIGHLY advise against using stone to contain it, because that will get infected from the corrupt grass next to it, the moment you enter hardmode and stone is no longer immune to the spread.
while in pre-hardmode the only thing that spreads the biome is grass (and possibly stuff growing from it, thorns and vines) in hardmode, stone, sand and the like will spread it, so using stone to fill those gaps will come back later at you and bite into your foot.
The way I said it was referring to this:
1122.png

I'll even add this image to the first post.

I would also highly advise against purifying those biomes completely, both the evil biomes and the hallow are sources of many awesome materials and other gadgets you would lose access to, if you clean there, and setting up artifical biomes can take time. sure, you can do that, but if these biomes are in acceptable places, it might be fine to leave at least some part of them be there, for the valuable loot. and whatever other reasons.
Yes, in the first post I already said that the "V" can be contained (as done in the evil biome in the pre-hardmode that I talked about) or eliminated.

I would recommend using explosives (dynamites are better since they leave a bigger hole, so you can quaranteene off these areas faster.
It can be combined with clemtaminator once that is available to purify certain areas more easily too, - and also purification powder, while the clemtaminator is not available yet, however the powder's range is quite small.
Using Sticky Dynamite can be a good alternative, thanks for adding, maybe I will try this in the future.

Fighting the evil with the power of good, that is, the Hallow. if you have decent surface hallow so pixies spawn somewhere, getting the material for holy water is not very difficult, and it can be used to quicky spread the hallow to some areas, which will be then protected from the evil, at the cost of turning the area hallow.
It can be purified later or something (best if this area is at least somewhat contained so neither biome can get too out of control.
this can be a good way to quicky protect a town that is about to be devoured by the evil biome. perticularly desert towns which are among the most vulnerable regarding this. (because all 3 main block types making up the desert are corruptible, and digging tunnels in the sand is a real nightmare)

So, I would recommend quaranteening areas around the edges of the V, with explosives and stuff at the start of hardmode. then you can mind your business a bit more freely. don't purify it, just in areas where it's necessary, either because too dangerous, or too close to a town (or it used to be a town which you want to restore instead of blowing it up (this is most likely something regarding cavern towns).
Making a hollow or evil artificial just to have the unique items of the place is very simple:
11.png
22.png

33.png

44.png

55.png

But this containment with dynamites seems to be a good alternative, maybe I'll try it in the future.

Now onto the topic of altars. Most players go for them as the very first thing upon entering hardmode, but I would highly advise against them. once an atar is smashed, the pirates might invade on their own, as well as the mech bosses start to occassionally pay a visit the night too. the mech bosses can be dealth with by letting them kill the player (not an option for hardcore, but let's leave that aside now) or just by staying underground the whole night, so they will not attack. pirates however will persist until defeated and they can be an enormous pain if they decide to attack right away while you're still jumping around in your molten armor (or anything else pre-hardmode).

getting better weapons first can be very useful. golden shower, cursed flames and crystal storm all can be crafted without the need of a mythril/orichalc anvill, as long as you found the wizard and have a bookscase.
for ranger, buying a shotgun is also a great option. and there are all sorts of new bullets to try.

fishing can be a wise way to chose, but getting enough ores for a full armor takes a crazy amount of patience and even more luck with RNG. what I would recommend aiming for is enough mythil/orichalc for an anvil. you might get enough adamantite/titanium meanwhile to create a hardmode furnace too.
with that done, you can craft quite good wings like the harpy wings, and several other rather strong early hardmode weapons.

smashing altars

at that point, going for the altars might a good time (if you don't have the patience to fish so much, and most players likely doesn't have)
each smashed altar has 1/3 chance to turn a singe, random, corruptible block (most likely stone) in the cavern layer currupted/crimsoned (what evil the world has) or hallowed. these will spread and finding them can be tricky, so they might grow quite big by the time the player finds them... but once found, they can be quaranteened too, with explosives, etc. or purified once a clemtaminator is available.

destroyed altars bless 3 ores upon the world (cobalt/palladium, mythril/orichalc, and adamantite/titanium) the first smashed altar the first tier, the 2nd the 2nd tiers and the 3rd the 3rd tier.
the 4th smashed altar would bless more of the 1st tier, the 5th of the 2nd tier, and so forth, However, these will bless half the amount of the previous.
e.g. the 4th altar will bless 1/2 of the amount of cobalt/palladium on the world than what the 1st altar did. the 7th will bless 1/2 of that the 4th one did, and so forth.
while each carrying that 1/3 chance risk of turning one corruptible block corrupted.
therefore I would recommend to NOT smash more than 3 altars. the rewards for further altars doesn't really worths the risk.

there are surely many things I forgotten, but these are some ideas from the top of my head to add to this topic.
Yes, getting these hardmodes ores is faster with altars than fishing, but if you don't want to worry about the hallow and evil created with them, better not break any.

EDITED:
Beautiful image, you look good in artistic constructions :), I in this game focus more on other things.

Last edited:
Goods tips! Although I have some ideas to speed up the process:

- Anything that boosts mining speed: Mining Potion, Best available pickaxe, Undead miner gear, Feral Claws, Legendary or Light modifiers for pickaxe, Ancient Chisel. If you get a chance to get the Bone pickaxe early on use it! For some odd reason it mines far faster than it's description indicates.

The stone is a good idea but specifically for ceilings. The emphasis is on ceilings. Why? Well corrupted grass ceilings grow vines and those vines may spread to the blocks below even with a 12 block gap. Stone or variants like it are also perfect for the top most layers, I usually use 6 blocks near the edges. Corrupted grass floors can grow thorny bushes and by leaving place 6 blocks or more of a non dirt/mud material with prevent the growth of these. The thorny bushes can reach over 3 block wide gap to infect other things.

Also, haven't tried them yet but the scarab bomb blows a hole 3 blocks wide, 25 blocks long in the direction you aim it to. This is almost made just for protecting areas from corruption.

- Anything that boosts mining speed: Mining Potion, Best available pickaxe, Undead miner gear, Feral Claws, Legendary or Light modifiers for pickaxe, Ancient Chisel. If you get a chance to get the Bone pickaxe early on use it! For some odd reason it mines far faster than it's description indicates.
On hardmode I try to get the first drill as fast as possible, apparently all drills (not moon lord's) work much faster by clicking the use button quickly repeatedly (I only press a button and my "AutoHotKey" script keeps using it repeatedly).
EDITED:
Apparently only the first drill, this 1.4.0.5 version

Also, haven't tried them yet but the scarab bomb blows a hole 3 blocks wide, 25 blocks long in the direction you aim it to. This is almost made just for protecting areas from corruption.
I also thought of these bombs for this case, but currently I find the current way of craft them a bit boring.

Last edited:
@Guest735
I see you edited the main post.
Some things to add though...

Walls that can get infected (e.g. sandstone wall) does not spread the infection to solid blocks. this can be observed easily if you put like one pearlsand or whatever block on a smaller group of blocks - more than 3 blocks away from other blocks - in the underground desert. this few sand, hardened sand and sandstone blocks will get hallowed over time, and will turn the - mostly sandstone - walls hallowed in a small radius around this group of blocks, but this won't go besides a point, and even if it touches any corruptible blocks, those blocks won't be hallowed.

About the pre-hardmode spread, I think "early game with cactus pickaxe" would turn into a huge hassle.
Since pre-hardmode, the only thing spreads the biome is grass (and only to directly adjacent dirt/grass) you only have to make sure that the evil grass is stopped by something. a small group of non-corruptible blocks, sunflowers, or anything like that. there are usually stone, metal, clay deposits somewhere like that upon worldgen, or a few sunflowers, which almost all the time stop the spread. as long as they're left intact, or replaced with other non-corruptible blocks.

it's only in very rare cases that there's nothing blocking the spread in hardmode, and player has to stop it.

when it comes to quaranteening the whole biome, you can do that much later in pre-hardmode. you only need to find some exposives to have the demolitionist move in, and so you can buy more explosives. it also would be wise to go at it after EoW/BoC is down since you can craft a nightmare/deathbringer pickaxe which can mine ebonstone/crimstone. you will also have access to purification powder and other stuff too.
Aaaand, crimson/corruption monsters are quite tough early game. this operation requires you to stay around the biome for quite some time, so you should be adequately strong and well armed - as well as have decent mobility - so this won't end up with you creating a large graveyard biome there.

also, on a side note the screenshot you showed for pre-hardmode gap doesn't takes thorns into account, I think. while that gap is big enough that normally stuff won't spread to the other side, but thorns could reach there if let to grow for some time, and then they will infect the other side. the gap should be bigger, or the edges having non-corruptible blocks.

About the pre-hardmode spread, I think "early game with cactus pickaxe" would turn into a huge hassle.
Since pre-hardmode, the only thing spreads the biome is grass (and only to directly adjacent dirt/grass) you only have to make sure that the evil grass is stopped by something. a small group of non-corruptible blocks, sunflowers, or anything like that. there are usually stone, metal, clay deposits somewhere like that upon worldgen, or a few sunflowers, which almost all the time stop the spread. as long as they're left intact, or replaced with other non-corruptible blocks.

it's only in very rare cases that there's nothing blocking the spread in hardmode, and player has to stop it.

when it comes to quaranteening the whole biome, you can do that much later in pre-hardmode. you only need to find some exposives to have the demolitionist move in, and so you can buy more explosives. it also would be wise to go at it after EoW/BoC is down since you can craft a nightmare/deathbringer pickaxe which can mine ebonstone/crimstone. you will also have access to purification powder and other stuff too.
Aaaand, crimson/corruption monsters are quite tough early game. this operation requires you to stay around the biome for quite some time, so you should be adequately strong and well armed - as well as have decent mobility - so this won't end up with you creating a large graveyard biome there.
Yes, but there is the situation of evil grass spreading in caves not seen outdoors a little above the undergound layer, but you are right about start digging everything only when you have better digging items, I was even thinking about that detail too, i will edit the main post accordingly.

also, on a side note the screenshot you showed for pre-hardmode gap doesn't takes thorns into account, I think. while that gap is big enough that normally stuff won't spread to the other side, but thorns could reach there if let to grow for some time, and then they will infect the other side. the gap should be bigger, or the edges having non-corruptible blocks.
I will put a new image with improvement.

Yes, but there is the situation of evil grass spreading in caves not seen outdoors a little above the undergound layer, but you are right about start digging everything only when you have better digging items, I was even thinking about that detail too, i will edit the main post accordingly.

I will put a new image with improvement.
Sometimes a world generates in a way that there are large areas where the grass can freely spread, without anything stopping it, but this is generally rare. there almost always a small stone or metal deposit, or a few sunflowers blocking this spread, so the player has no need to intervene pre-hardmode.

When there is freely spreading evil grass, it can be earily stopped by placing a single sunflower in its path, and you're all fine for the rest of pre-hardmode.

Yes, agree with upgrading that screenshot to something better.

Otherwise it's pretty neatly done now.

Edit:
you could take out the "destroy corruptible walls" part,
or rewrite it to note that they will get corrupted, however they can't spread the infection to solid blocks.
also interestingly enough, they stop spreading once reached a certain distance from the infected solid blocks.
I'm pretty sure I took this screenshot early hardmode in a playthrough, way before I would have access to the clemtaminator.
crimson desert border.png

Last edited:
so the player has no need to intervene pre-hardmode
The reason I see to separate all the evil biome in the pre-hardmode is that when the hardmode starts these parts of the biome will already be controlled and the player will be able to focus only on the big "V".

Sometimes a world generates in a way that there are large areas where the grass can freely spread, without anything stopping it, but this is generally rare. there almost always a small stone or metal deposit, or a few sunflowers blocking this spread, so the player has no need to intervene pre-hardmode.

When there is freely spreading evil grass, it can be earily stopped by placing a single sunflower in its path, and you're all fine for the rest of pre-hardmode.

Yes, agree with upgrading that screenshot to something better.

Otherwise it's pretty neatly done now.

Edit:
or rewrite it to note that they will get corrupted, however they can't spread the infection to solid blocks.
also interestingly enough, they stop spreading once reached a certain distance from the infected solid blocks.
I'm pretty sure I took this screenshot early hardmode in a playthrough, way before I would have access to the clemtaminator.
View attachment 286798

Judging from your picture it looks like a distance of four blocks. I never bothered to notice this before.

The reason I see to separate all the evil biome in the pre-hardmode is that when the hardmode starts these parts of the biome will already be controlled and the player will be able to focus only on the big "V".
I meant that generally FOR pre-hardmode.
You do can quaranteene the biomes when preparing for hadmode, I agree on that.

However I still don't usually do that in pre-hardmode. the V can mess it up anyway. For instence, on this world, I dug a huge trench in the middle of the desert, mining out like 2 000 sand blocks or something, lol, because sand is a huge pain. the left side was crimsoned from the start, the right side was pure. I built an outpost there to conceal the uggly trench. but upon entering hardmode, the V spawned right through the desert, so the outpost was in the middle of the crimson now, and couldn't serve its original intended purpose at all at this point, despite the time and effort spent on mining and building it.
V through desert1 - trench.png

V through desert1 - outpost.png

(the design is inspired by the style of the Ferrosanghui outpost and fortess I seen in screenshots from Super Terraria world.)

V through desert1.png

(note that on this, the outpost is inside the crimsoned part. I used holly water to quicky turn the other half of the desert hallowed to save that town, which would had fallen in 1-2 in game days.)

Although it came in extremely handy later when I got the clemtaminator. to be the barrier as intended, to push back the crimson past it, and then it stops the spreading of it to the other side of the desert.

But so that's why, sometimes these barriers turn out to be temporarily, or even outright useless. It can be a good idea to wait for hardmode and then quaranteene all the spreading biomes. you will need some skills for that though, because hardmode enemies are significantly tougher.

@Banmei
Yes, it appears to be so. Pretty interesting, isn't it?

Edit:
crimson desert border.png
Maybe i will test this later.

I find it ironic that the game eggs-you-on to "Remove all Corruption and Hollow." Then, to add insult to injury... The second you actually do, both ends become corrupt again! The game purposely makes it impossible to do what it suggests that you do. (Sure, it will be clean for a moment, then it, "unleashes a new evil".)

Honestly, unless the corruption or hollow has infected a town, then there is not even a reason to contain either of them. By the time you are fully corrupted, there is NOTHING you need from the worlds uncorrupted parts. If you want a pure-ish looking world... Build a mine-shaft running from left to right, 60 blocks below the surface and keep the surface pure, except for one small segment of each. (You may need unicorn horns, fairy-dust, or whatever unique things spawn on the surface of corruption. I think you can even fake a surface, below ground, as long as it is above 0 and has no "background tiles".)

I find it ironic that the game eggs-you-on to "Remove all Corruption and Hollow." Then, to add insult to injury... The second you actually do, both ends become corrupt again! The game purposely makes it impossible to do what it suggests that you do. (Sure, it will be clean for a moment, then it, "unleashes a new evil".)

Honestly, unless the corruption or hollow has infected a town, then there is not even a reason to contain either of them. By the time you are fully corrupted, there is NOTHING you need from the worlds uncorrupted parts. If you want a pure-ish looking world... Build a mine-shaft running from left to right, 60 blocks below the surface and keep the surface pure, except for one small segment of each. (You may need unicorn horns, fairy-dust, or whatever unique things spawn on the surface of corruption. I think you can even fake a surface, below ground, as long as it is above 0 and has no "background tiles".)
A problem that I noticed is that if you destroy "Demon Altars/Crimson Altars" maybe there is a possibility that the block that will be corrupted is located outside the map,which in turn if not purified will always corrupt within the map, so there is no way to purify the region outside the map other than with the "clentaminator", the player may be thinking in this case that the world will always be corrupted, I think the only corrupted regions naturally are the original corrupted regions inside the map and the "V" of corruption at the beginning of hardmode, so I think maybe the region outside the map can be corrupted by the altars, I don't know if this still happens in the most updated version, I also don't know if the region outside the map can be corrupted by the region inside the map, if the off-map region is apparently corrupting within the map, other way to resolve it is to separate the two ends of the map from the off-map region with the game's biome quarantine techniques.

To keep the corruption in the world under control it is basically necessary not to destroy altars and quarantine or eliminate corruption as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I would like to add next things:
~For isolating evil biomes 4 block wide gap is a compromise between random big holes through the world, boring digging and effective way of keeping spread under control. 5 blocks of gap if you dont want to check every diagonal tunnel for missed block.
~Borders of infected territory with evil in surface layer can be effectively covered with everything except grass and mud blocks to prevent random growing of vines if tunnel is not a straight down line
~Use 1 sunflower on top of borders to prevent spreading of thorns
~Hallow don't need sunflowers since thorns do not grow there. Vines do.
~No need to destroy walls: wall can be infected in 2 block radius from other block but cannot infect other walls and blocks! (I don't remember about all wall types but for sure know that underground desert wall acts in this way)
~No need to purify desert: for now hardmode underground desert is completely useless and very dangerous place for any class. If V shape managed to bother your desert - just dig out an area around it.

Last edited:
~No need to purify desert: for now hardmode underground desert is completely useless and very dangerous place for any class. If V shape managed to bother your desert - just dig out an area around it.
Excellent idea, i got tired of making many "Potions of Returns" just to make enemies disappear in this place in hardmode while controlling corruption.
This is one of the best criticisms I've gotten with this guide so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom