Sprites Yuyu's Minibiomes: The Oasis!

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
Hey, guys! It's Yuyutsu here, and I come with the beginning of a new 'series' of suggestions:

kdcROYP.png

Yuyu's Minibiomes!

Now, if you've seen any of my prior biome suggestions, you know my goal with all biomes is to add more flavor and variation to what seems like a repetitive Terrarian world, especially the Underground. If you know me, you also know a lot of what I've made has been influenced by Starbound. Now, after playing the game again for the thousandth time, I thought a better way to go about spicing up Terraria was to suggest a bunch of microstructures and minibiomes that can be found across your world. Perhaps these will allow your world to feel truly expansive and unique. Now, let's get to the suggestion at hand.

Cactus_(placed) (3).png
The Oasis!
Cactus_(placed) (3) (4).png

Now, the Desert has a lot of biomes and minibiomes, ranging from the Pyramid to the Antlion Maze... thing. However, I feel like a structure located smack-dab at the surface of the desert is somewhat new. So, let's check out the Oasis (Spoiler: It's pretty similar to a certain Starbound biome by the same name).

divider.png

Structure
The Oasis minibiome is centered around a Palm Tree in the middle of a pool of bright blue water (as opposed to the Desert's dark yellow water). The pool of water, as well as nearby patches of sand, will have Reeds growing on them. Simple, right? A mock-up of the Oasis can be seen down below.

Cactus_(placed) (3).png

Reeds
Here are different variations of reeds. Reeds are commonplace, and are central to an Oasis. Destroying Reeds will yield you 5-10 Reeds (Item), but destroying all Reeds will cause the Oasis to turn back into a regular desert. Reeds also glow underwater, to give the Oasis a more inviting feeling.
As long as one Reed is remaining, Reeds will grow back slowly in and around the Oasis.

divider.png

Function
What exactly is special about the Biome? Well, a couple things. If you've ever played through the beginning of Terraria, you know how frustrating earlygame exploring (especially of the nighttime and of the desert) can be. To help the player along their journey, being in the Oasis will:

- Reduce enemy spawns significantly
Poisoned.png

- While underwater in an Oasis, the 'Soothing' buff provides greater regeneration if the player is under 200 health

If ever you find yourself trapped in the desert, especially during the nighttime, seek out an Oasis!

divider.png

NPCs*
(*By NPCs, I mean all non-playable characters, not just Town NPCs)
Surprise, surprise! The Oasis has no enemies! Which makes sense (I hope), as it is meant to be a safe haven of sorts. Instead, it has a couple of cute lil' critters who will keep you company!

New Piskel (21).png

Baby Toucan
5 HP
Functions like any other bird. Flies away if the player gets too close. Can be caught and sold for 5
SilverCoin.gif
, or can be crafted into its own Terrarium.

Desert_Tortoise (5) (1).png

Sand Tortoise
5 HP
While on land, this Tortoise is slow moving, and can curl up in its shell so as not to take damage for a short while. Swims moderately fast in water. Can be caught and sold for 10
SilverCoin.gif
, or can be crafted into its own Terrarium.

divider.png

Items
The following items are encountered indirectly or directly by traversing through the Oasis Biome in a multitude of ways:

Cactus_(placed) (2) (2).png

Reed Misc. Items
Reedbalm Potion- Provides a small amount of regeneration while the player is completely submerged underwater. Crafted with Reeds, Waterleaf, Daybloom, and a Bottle of Water at a Bottle.
Reeds- Dropped by cutting down Reeds in the Oasis.
Sharp Reed- A new ammo for the blowpipe. Provides the same amount of damage as regular seeds, but can pierce multiple enemies. 10 crafted with 2 Reeds.
Reedhusk Pipe - A blowpipe upgrade. Crafted with Reeds, Antlion Mandibles, and a Blowpipe at a Workbench.

Cactus_(placed) (2) (1).png

Reed Furniture
All Reed Furniture is crafted with, well, Reeds. From left to right:
Reed Blocks- 20 crafted with 3 Reeds by hand.
Reed Door- Crafted with 8 Reeds at a Workbench.
Reed Chair- Crafted with 4 Reeds at a Workbench.
Reed Table- Crafted with 8 Reeds at a Workbench.
Reed Chest- Crafted with 10 Reeds and 2 Iron/Lead Bars at a Workbench.
Reed Lamp- Crafted with a Torch and 3 Reeds at a Workbench.
Reed Candle- Crafted with a Torch and 4 Reeds at a Workbench.

divider.png
Mockup
Too make my minibiome suggestions stand out a tad, I've decided to use my mediocre coding and spriting skills to show you what I imagine this would look like in-game! That being said, this isn't a playable mod, or anything. I've just thrown together a couple of lines of code and built this structure by hand.

ice_screenshot_20180614-000002_50.png

I'll try to do this with every one of my minibiomes, or, as many as I can. No promises, though :p
divider.png

Thus ends my suggestion for an Oasis minibiome! More to come soon, but it's currently 2:08 AM. As always, I welcome your ideas, comments, and suggestions. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
That looks nice, reminds me of my oasis suggestion (which can be found in my signature) but with more aesthetic and less fishing. You've got my support on this one!

This is a really good suggestion! There’s just one thing that bothers me, would there be any way to make reeds renewable? That way you could make all the reed items without traveling through multiple worlds to gather more. Maybe you could add some sort of reed seed of sorts? Anyways, I like this, so support from me!

That looks nice, reminds me of my oasis suggestion (which can be found in my signature) but with more aesthetic and less fishing. You've got my support on this one!
Thanks! Didn't know you made an Oasis suggestion, too. Checked it out, looks neat!
This is a really good suggestion! There’s just one thing that bothers me, would there be any way to make reeds renewable? That way you could make all the reed items without traveling through multiple worlds to gather more. Maybe you could add some sort of reed seed of sorts? Anyways, I like this, so support from me!
Each Reed drops about 5-10 of the item, so there should be no need to make multiple worlds to craft everything.

Thanks! Didn't know you made an Oasis suggestion, too. Checked it out, looks neat!

Each Reed drops about 5-10 of the item, so there should be no need to make multiple worlds to craft everything.
Ah cool. I’d still probably add something to renew the reeds with, just in case. I still really like it though!

Nice idea! Maybe make it so that you only get the regeneration buff when in the Oasis water, something like a buff called "Relaxed", which has the same effect which you stated. It would aid in making the biome seem safer, and to add a reason to even enter the water aside from snagging those Reeds. (I mean, that water seems fresh and relaxing for a Desert, so why not?)

Ah cool. I’d still probably add something to renew the reeds with, just in case. I still really like it though!
Quick suggestion in response to reeds being renewable, what if oasises had unique white sand that reeds could grow on?
You guys convinced me, I added a clause in which Reeds grow slowly as long as the biome is still an Oasis (as in, at least one reed remains).
Nice idea! Maybe make it so that you only get the regeneration buff when in the Oasis water, something like a buff called "Relaxed", which has the same effect which you stated. It would aid in making the biome seem safer, and to add a reason to even enter the water aside from snagging those Reeds. (I mean, that water seems fresh and relaxing for a Desert, so why not?)
Done! The 'Soothing' buff now provides regen to underwater players under 200 health.

They are actually making this a thing in 1.3.6
Okay, so.

If you haven't noticed, @Yuyutsu is developer of the Spirit Mod, which, while a bit dated, was quite a popular mod in the past. Terraria developers say they hired mod devs as part time coders to do their work. Put two and two together, and you realize that this actually might not be quite a coincidence.

Just my crazy tinfoil-hat theory about all this. We've also seen a scarab related item, and Spirit has a scarab boss, so like, if Yuyu is involved in all this, I mean, we could be getting another boss? So that could be cool.

Okay, so.

If you haven't noticed, @Yuyutsu is developer of the Spirit Mod, which, while a bit dated, was quite a popular mod in the past. Terraria developers say they hired mod devs as part time coders to do their work. Put two and two together, and you realize that this actually might not be quite a coincidence.

Just my crazy tinfoil-hat theory about all this. We've also seen a scarab related item, and Spirit has a scarab boss, so like, if Yuyu is involved in all this, I mean, we could be getting another boss? So that could be cool.
There’ve been a lot of people who’ve suggested an oasis minibiome- I promise that the addition of the Oasis in 1.3.6 is nothing but a coincidence, unless I’m told otherwise. As honored as I am about your theory, I’m just a simple fan who makes suggestions and mods from time to time :D

There’ve been a lot of people who’ve suggested an oasis minibiome- I promise that the addition of the Oasis in 1.3.6 is nothing but a coincidence, unless I’m told otherwise. As honored as I am about your theory, I’m just a simple fan who makes suggestions and mods from time to time :D
Alright, thanks for the confirmation. Was a bit curious. Also this is unfortunate because now there probably won't be a scarab boss like I thought. :p

Back
Top Bottom