A guide for early Expert Mode: Cheese It

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoPhantom

Skeletron Prime
This was written on 2016 during the first month of the update. Most of the information here no longer applies!

Don't necro this old thing complaining how it doesn't seem viable because this thing is OLD!

Expert mode is hard, but not impossible. Even without preparations, it is quite possible to just blast through sooner or later... Unfortunately, without careful planning all that awaits you in those first few days is death, death and maybe survival with 5 HP only to die from status or fall damage.

I'm not kidding here, I dare you to go hardcore on survival mode without thinking things through!!! See how long you last!

Eherm... Anyways, suffice to say there is one way to at least survive prehardmode without any deaths what-so-ever if you play your cards right: the Cheese It Strategy to put it simply.

Step 1: Survival comes First

When slimes kill you in four (4) attacks, you know you are in trouble and need a place of respite in order to just survive. A normal house just won't cut it though as zombies can open doors as if it were bloodmoon all the time in expert mode.

Fortunately, the AI of the zombies wasn't messed around with too much and slightly deeper zombie pits are sufficient to trap them and keep them away from the house. Naturally, you'll want one zombie pit on either side of your house.

In case you don't know what a zombie pit is...
latest

This is a simple version of it. You'll want one slightly deeper and longer so that the zombies don't jump across from one side to the other avoiding the hole. A seven block wide pit with a single index on the top on both extremities SHOULD suffice. The hole itself can be however deep you want it to be, within reason of course. Using rope of any kind, you can make passageways in, out and across this pit which the zombies won't be able to use themselves to escape, unlike with platforms. Bear in mind that slimes jump quite high and might escape this trap easily if its not deep enough though...

Now that you know what you will have on both sides of the house as protection, you need to know something else about the houses... The NPC currently outclass your combat potential, USE THAT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. If you build the NPC houses to have a 2 block connection with the zombie pits (using platform for walls, they AND you will be able to attack the enemies in relative safety.

The best way to set this up is by making 5 NPC houses next to each other, connected by doors or platforms. Each room should be 12H x 5W counting walls, roof and floor (Interior 10H x 3W). Workbench, chair and torch are needed as well of course. The leftmost and rightmost houses should have two platforms and a block connecting them to the zombie pit (contrary to the other rooms which must be connected by 3 platforms or a door.

This set allows the NPCs to attack the slimes during the day through the holes and the single npc who lives in the extreme rooms attack the zombies at night. Early on, get the guide. The next should be the Merchant or the Demolitionist, both of which have ranged attacks in the form of throwing knives and grenades.

Above these five rooms, build your temporary house where you can hide out when in danger. Keep a campfire lit here as you can easily build one quite early.

Step 2: Spawning and Grinding

The next step is getting the NPCs you need, in this case you can exclusively say its the Demolitionist, so explore the surface and break all pots you find till you get some Grenades. Once you get them, return to your house and farm some gel and money with the guides help.

Soon, the Demolitionist will spawn and allow you to buy explosives for some coppers. Your purpose right now is to buy at least 30 Bombs and turn them into Sticky Bombs. Buy yourself some more grenades for protection as well, for we are now going to take the first and only risk in Pre-Hardmode.

Step 3- Dessert Raid

We now head to the dessert and find the entrance to the underground dessert biome while avoiding the enemies on the surface. Build yourself a cactus sword while here as its knockback will help out quite a bit!

On the underground, remember this: sword the flying antlions, box in the running antlions with blocks, grenade the worms. Box yourself if surrounded! You should be able to survive like this in the underground dessert as long as you don't go to another biome.

Now, why are we here? Simple, Fossils & Extractinator. The fossils are too hard to destroy with a pickaxe, so use the stick bombs to gather them. Once you find the Extractinator in one of the dessert cabins (which almost always contain one) make your way back to your house with a recall potion which you should've obtained from any chest you might've found on the surface or underground in the cabins.

Back at the house, extract the items from the fossils. Sell everything except the Fossils, this should net you enough to spawn the Merchant if you didn't have him before. From him, buy the iron/lead anvil and see if you have enough to make yourself the fossil armor (even if only a single piece). If you need more, buy some more bombs, make stcky bombs and return to the dpundergroubd dessert. Repeat until you can make the fossil armor as well as at least 50 Fossil daggers which are relatively easy to make.

Now properly equipped, go to the underground dessert and gather more fossils in peace since you can easily kill everything in there with your throwing weapons. The 75% chance to not consume ammo basically means that instead of 50 attacks you'll get around 200+.

Continue until you can make 500+ Fossil Daggers and 500+ Fossil Lances. Congratulations, you are now equipped enough to explore the world unhindered by most enemies! Almost!

Step 4 - The World

There is one biome you must NOT enter no matter what yet, the Marble Biome has enemies who can 1-hit-kill you even with the armor, as well as another that can turn you into stone for several seconds! Unless you are VERY VERY careful, don't enter it!

Once you get at least 5 Heart Crystals, consider yourself ready for the Eye of Cthulhu if you know how to dodge and built an arena. If you don't and/or didn't, then 10 hearts. This amount can be decreased if you found speed accessories (particularly boots).

With the Shield of Cthulhu, battles have become a bit easier as you can bash enemies if they get to close or even spam the charge until the enemy is dead. The game has become seemingly easier, but DO NOT let your guard down.

The next bosses are Eater of Worlds and Brain of Cthulhu. If it's the first, the same strategies for easy win in normal mode apply to this fight. Guide the worm to the corrupted surface arena and use grenades or fossil weapons to demolish this entity!

However, the Brain will have a dangerous trick on its sleeve once his minions are dead, so prepare a good arena for that individual and get yourself a spear or else be prepared to run and dodge the entire fight!

Queen Bee should not be too hard by now as you've had practice dodging, but don't neglect the arena and look at your consumables! The main problem with the Queen is her summoned Bees, which are dreadful but can be ridded easily with a grenade or two. Just jump, dodge, dash, and shoot yourself a victory.

Now that you precticed with the Queen, its time to get real and challenge skelletron. Truth be told, you just might die in this fight, but if you keep a cool head and keep moving you'll find this guy to be not as scary as you feared he was... The dungeon will be hellish as usual, just get the cobalt shield and run away, you can get the other stuff once you get molten armor, which is your next destination.

From here on, its basic playthrough: get hellstone and a bucket of lava to make an obsidian farm. Make the high def Molten armor to explore dangerous areas with less danger of dying.

Quirpte honestly, at this point you just need to decide between farming for accessories now that the world is still "easy" or jump straight to hardmode. His bless you if you decide to go after the accessories afterwards...

I kept the boss strategies to a minimum after the player is supposed to get a hang of the class, but if needed you can always find some videos on the net of people defeating the bosses. Pedguin in particular pretty much trashed all the way to hard mode with the fossil armor on Twitch. The videos are still there if you are interested in seeing more of this class.

Last edited:
If Eater of Worlds is the first, the same strategies for easy win in normal mode apply to this fight. Guide the worm to the corrupted surface arena and use grenades or fossil weapons to demolish this entity!
Pas d'accord. The eater of worlds' vile spits are overpowered and can kill a player with 25 armor and good dodging reflexes in 4-6 hits,
I agree, we'd better use throwing (or at least piercing) weapons against and I also agree we should make an arena but even that isn't enought.
As for the Brain of Cthulhu... I have no idea about his power level (Over 9000 we already know that at least).

The fossils are too hard to destroy with a pickaxe, so use the stick bombs to gather them.
Just want to point out, bombs don't destroy fossils. I tried. You have to have a demonite pick. Other than this little flaw, it's not a bad guide. It's not the best I've ever seen, but it's alright.

Just want to point out, bombs don't destroy fossils. I tried. You have to have a demonite pick. Other than this little flaw, it's not a bad guide. It's not the best I've ever seen, but it's alright.

Oh? My bad, heard they were the same durability as ebonstone... Guess they have the durability of Dungeon Bricks instead...

Need to rewrite a portion of this guide then.

bombs may not destrot fossils but the reaver shark (fished up from the ocean) does

Yep, was doing some research about other possibilities since many dislike fishing for some reason. So far, that seems to be the quickest and easiest solution though...

Finding the Flower Boots may be crucial for fishers now since it allows potentially infinite worms for bait. Still, the new rewards may prove more appealing to players now!

The new explosive and dagger fishes may prove valuable as well prehardmode until one moves on to dynamite and spears...

Finding the Flower Boots may be crucial for fishers now since it allows potentially infinite worms for bait. Still, the new rewards may prove more appealing to players now!

those (I believe) should be able to be fished from jungle crates given that they seem to draw from the ivy chest loot table

Seems like a really good guide, could you possibly upload a screenshot of your house design with the NPC placements with the zombie pits? Might be useful for anyone else that doesnt quite see how the NPCs can attack outside the houses they are in.

Seems like a really good guide, could you possibly upload a screenshot of your house design with the NPC placements with the zombie pits? Might be useful for anyone else that doesnt quite see how the NPCs can attack outside the houses they are in.
Actually, a better design was made recently which allows npcs to attack from above. I still need to get some time to modify this guide.

Pas d'accord. The eater of worlds' vile spits are overpowered and can kill a player with 25 armor and good dodging reflexes in 4-6 hits,
I agree, we'd better use throwing (or at least piercing) weapons against and I also agree we should make an arena but even that isn't enought.
As for the Brain of Cthulhu... I have no idea about his power level (Over 9000 we already know that at least).
He is pretty freakin' strong. I highly recommend visiting hell and finding a Demon Scythe, and also getting LOTS of Mana from the stars at night. Demon Scythe makes the Brian much more manageble.

I find that the best expert mode accessory that i've stuck with till the end is the worm scarf, getting rid of percentages in expert mode is seriously helpful, when everything deals hundreds of damage. Killing the king slime early on is pretty easy, use a featherfall potion and just jump over him when you need to. Use his slime mount against the eater of worlds, you can jump on his vile spit rendering it almost useless. Still, it is a hard boss, one of the most useful things is to wait till a goblin invasion, and use the spiky balls against him to deal massive damage. For making a zombie pit, you COULD just block up your door. But that's just me. There is a weird thing where you can jump on the eye with the slime mount, and if you get rammed against a surface, you get invincibility and do massive damage to the thing attacking you, since you move through the enemy and bounce on him while inside him. I found 3 of these happening brings the eye into its expert mode, at that point, you should just fall and throw grenades up at you, easy, eye finished. With slime mount many early-game bosses are pretty easy. Using the boomstick against skeletron I thought helped alot btw.

I was confused, you say that zombies are able to knock down doors, I haven't noticed that happening and I'm definitely playing on expert mode.... I got extremely lucky in my game and found the enchanted sword straight after I had acquired the frost sword... I actually found it when really needed it haha! I actually didn't want to read too much of he guide for fear of spoilers but have finally been able to explore the desert with the new sword!

I was confused, you say that zombies are able to knock down doors, I haven't noticed that happening and I'm definitely playing on expert mode.... I got extremely lucky in my game and found the enchanted sword straight after I had acquired the frost sword... I actually found it when really needed it haha! I actually didn't want to read too much of he guide for fear of spoilers but have finally been able to explore the desert with the new sword!

Patched apparently. Early release showed the zombies opening tall gates without bloodmoon.

i dont understand how to make the houses. the thing i dont understand is this.
The best way to set this up is by making 5 NPC houses next to each other, connected by doors or platforms. Each room should be 12H x 5W counting walls, roof and floor (Interior 10H x 3W). Workbench, chair and torch are needed as well of course. The leftmost and rightmost houses should have two platforms and a block connecting them to the zombie pit (contrary to the other rooms which must be connected by 3 platforms or a door.

Eh, the OP does realize that all you need to do is dig a 3 deep x 2 wide pit in front of a door and that makes it impossible for a mob to open a door, right? Even during Bloodmoon they still can't open it, and if you are afraid they could, simply place one solid block right behind it (even if they did open the door, a zombie can't fit in a 2-high space).

You can also use ropes and trapdoors too, nothing can open a trapdoor, especially if you make it so you need to go up a rope to get in it (nothing knows how to climb a rope).

This is from the beginning of 1.3. As of present, other methods do exist to counter expert mode easily.

Xylia, the built he asks about is having npcs help you farm early on... Not building a mob-safe house.

You can buy dynamite from the demolitionist for 20 silver which should blow up Fossils.

Medusa is also a hard mode enemy now.

Have you even done a run with your guide even once?
Here’s my quick guide on starting expert.
Get yourself a set of cactus +Pickaxe and sword, or ebonwood/shadewood sword for raw damage.
Dig straight down until you find a cave, this actually works quite will, as it’s impossible to get to hell without falling into a cave first, you can try this on any world.
Stick a bit of rope up from the bottom, six pieces will be good enough, this is so that the next time you jump into the pit you hold onto the rope instead of dying of fall damage, this should be done before any exploring happens, even if there is a golden chest next to you.
Get a decent weapon from a golden chest.
Go to the ice biome, find a large deposit of gold/platinum with a detonator and get some golden/platinum armor.
Look for a bomb if you don’t already have one, get the demolitionist to spawn, then get some bombs and get a gun from the crimson/corruption.
Prepare for eye of Cthulhu, I suggest you get a mini shark or at least an Amazon, as this guy is VERY hard.
Remember to get enough defense, at least 10, bring both a ironskin potion and a food item by fishing or traveling merchant, you could also build a house in the ice biome and get marshmallows from the merchant.
Make a campfire for the arena, also bring a sunflower.
The arena should just be a long platform you can jump up to.
This should be enough for the beginning.
[doublepost=1528193939,1528193852][/doublepost]Also, look for plenty of heart crystals, at least 5.

Have you even done a run with your guide even once?
Here’s my quick guide on starting expert.
Get yourself a set of cactus +Pickaxe and sword, or ebonwood/shadewood sword for raw damage.
Dig straight down until you find a cave, this actually works quite will, as it’s impossible to get to hell without falling into a cave first, you can try this on any world.
Stick a bit of rope up from the bottom, six pieces will be good enough, this is so that the next time you jump into the pit you hold onto the rope instead of dying of fall damage, this should be done before any exploring happens, even if there is a golden chest next to you.
Get a decent weapon from a golden chest.
Go to the ice biome, find a large deposit of gold/platinum with a detonator and get some golden/platinum armor.
Look for a bomb if you don’t already have one, get the demolitionist to spawn, then get some bombs and get a gun from the crimson/corruption.
Prepare for eye of Cthulhu, I suggest you get a mini shark or at least an Amazon, as this guy is VERY hard.
Remember to get enough defense, at least 10, bring both a ironskin potion and a food item by fishing or traveling merchant, you could also build a house in the ice biome and get marshmallows from the merchant.
Make a campfire for the arena, also bring a sunflower.
The arena should just be a long platform you can jump up to.
This should be enough for the beginning.
[doublepost=1528193939,1528193852][/doublepost]Also, look for plenty of heart crystals, at least 5.

Hmmm... look at the date dude.
2016, two years ago

Also, this was very early as in first week since update. Let alone additional strategies found since, there have been updates with content.

Of course it's obsolete since a long time ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom