Game Mechanics Alt music tracks should play according to player location.

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
I love the new Alt. Underground theme introduced in 1.2.2. The dark, eerie cave exploration theme just fits perfectly with my awesome underground endeavors. I started thinking that maybe instead of having them just alternate randomly like the music on the surface, you could modify the amount they play based on depth. I think original soundtrack fits better with the relative serenity of the upper levels of the undergrounds versus the dangers of the deeper underground, which is better complimented by the new alt-track. I think that if the probability of each track was modulated according to the depth of the player, it would really help enhance the ambiance of underground exploration.

What I've worked out is that after a track has finished, there could be an 80% chance of playing the original soundtrack when you're at the top of the underground layer, and a 20% chance of playing the alt-track. This gradually inverts to 20% and 80% when you get down to the bottom of the "lava layer" just above the underworld.

The same idea can be applied to when you're playing on the surface, and cause the alt-track to play more often around NPC housing, since it seems more "civilized," which makes it ideal for areas around NPC towns, versus the clean brightness of the original track which fits better with the natural beauty of the un-corrupted surface areas. What I'm thinking is that this should start at a 70% chance to play the original and 30% to play the alt, then invert incrementally based on how many NPCs are nearby. 1-2 NPCs would be 60% and 40%, 3-5 would be 50-50%, 6-9 would be 60-40%, and 10 or more NPCs would be 30% and 70%.

No matter the means, this kind of change to the way music operates would make the game more interesting, and generally improve the gameplay mood. If this is difficult to understand exactly, then I apologize. Feel free to ask questions and leave comments. Feedback is always appreciated!

This seems like it would be a very nice idea! The way you put it, it would make sense for these changes to take place.

Unrelated, I know there are music boxes and things, but I wish there was a way you could disable certain alternate tracks, or disable the main tracks. I like some of the original track more compared to some of the alternates, personally.

Back
Top Bottom