Working as Designed Goblin tinkerer preferred biome not working as intended?

CyberPii

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
It seems that the goblin tinkerer does not recognize the underground as a biome, and thus does not gain any happiness from it, if he isn't in the normal underground. I don't know if this is intended, it could be, but clartiy would be cool, alternatively a change.

To clarify, you mean he isn't happy if he's in Ice/Desert/Jungle Underground?
Indeed. Additionally, though unrelated (I think?), neither my tinkerer nor my mechanic are recognizing the other's existence even though they are neighbors in the same underground snow biome as before. They aere within 30 or 40 tiles of each other, and they have been as close as within 10 tiles and still haven't seen each other. This was the same for all other NPCs I've tested, which includes the stylist, dye trader, arms dealer, demolitionist and tavernkeep.

The detection checks against their housing flags, not their physical locations.

So if their housing flags are too far, then it will not consider them nearby. If its any consolation, the "too crowded" check is a little further than the "neighbors I like/dislike" check, so you can have some nearby NPCs benefitting from each other without crowding, if you space them just right!

I think for reconogizing each other their housing flags are 25 blocks right?
And is the Biome combination a thing? Cause it would be cool

I haven't seen any further comments but I can confirm the Goblin Tinkerer is not recognizing being underground. The Demolitionist recognizes being underground but not the Goblin Tinkerer in an identical house with his flag at the same depth. I exchanged their houses and got the same result.

The underground in this case only refers to the normal dirt/stone underground areas (with the caverns and underworld also counting). The underground snow, desert, and jungle are not counted, as they are entirely different environments from the normal underground/cavern areas (the main point of confusion is that the name of the underground and caverns biomes indicates depth in general, rather than a more specific environment). Along with that, biomes also follow a set priority, and the snow, desert, and jungle are all a higher priority than the underground/caverns (meaning the underground/caverns part is ignored in terms of the happiness system). It should also be noted that the biome the NPC mentions is based on the one the player is currently standing in, not the one the NPC (or their housing banner) is in. This means that you can see 2 different results if you're at the edge of where the biome changes and you move from one side to the other.

Back
Top Bottom