Sprites [Hooks]Metal Hooks (limited hooks for early easymode/adventure maps)

shobiwan77

King Slime
I'll get straight to the point. This is a suggestion for the addition of hooks that can be crafted from early easymode metals. These hooks would be restricted, but cheaper to obtain, versions of the gem hooks. As a plus, these would allow creators of adventure maps to implement hooks in their maps without breaking the game play or writing in restrictions on the use of said hooks.

divider.png

To balance the ease of obtaining these hooks, and to make them a viable piece of equipment for adventure maps, these hooks can only hook to certain hook pads. They would be made out of two of any wood at a work bench, and must be placed on a minimum length two of blocks. As shown below, the hook pads can be placed on floors, ceilings and either side wall.
82WboED.png
VYR7XiR.png
iDM8d5x.png
lw4b1GT.png

Because these would be basically useless outside of adventure map purposes, each hook has an increase of 5 range and 2.5 velocity over their gem counterparts. Now if this sounds overpowered to anyone, remember that these can only hook to points at which you've already placed hook pads at. Below is a table for the comparison of the gem and metal hooks.

Gem Hook Details | Metal Hook Details

Name | Sprite | Reach| Velocity | Name | Sprite | Reach| Velocity
Amethyst |
Amethyst_Hook.png
| 18 | 10 | Copper |
VHbQrWF.png
| 23 | 12.5
Topaz |
Topaz_Hook.png
| 20 | 10.5 | Tin |
4kQor7q.png
| 25 | 13
Sapphire |
Sapphire_Hook.png
| 22 | 11 | Silver |
OAtyWYE.png
| 27 | 13.5
Emerald |
Emerald_Hook.png
| 24 | 11.5 | Tungsten |
QBJi7xf.png
| 29 | 14
Ruby |
Ruby_Hook.png
| 26 | 12 | Gold |
nvtRb3h.png
| 31 | 14.5
Diamond |
Diamond_Hook.png
| 28 | 12.5 | Platinum |
5CWLFLX.png
| 33 | 15
Note: Yes, I did just recolor the gem hooks. No, I'm not ashamed of it.

Each of these would be crafted with eleven of their corresponding bars at an iron or lead anvil.

divider.png

I believe would make a great addition to the game for both adventure maps, and early easymode. Please share your thoughts, ideas and criticisms(preferably constructive).

This suggestion is honestly more viable than most, and makes a bit more sense from a gameplay perspective when compared as well.

You have my fullest support on these...
Thank you!

...though, I think the sprites should be tampered with a bit, some of them feel a bit too bright as hooks.
If it's the coloring that you don't like, I used the same color palette as each metal's weapon/tool set. Although, for the silver hook, I do agree with you. It does seem too bright to me as well, but, using the silver palette, when I colored it along the same guidelines as I used for the other hooks, it came out much too dark in my opinion.

Perhaps I'll post the dark sprite as well when I get the chance, and put out a poll for it. Or maybe I'll just fudge either the sprite or the silver palette a bit to get it to work.

Metal hooks should have higher range but lower velocity, that way the gem hooks stay useful and not too hard to get only to be worse than the metal hooks, but it would also be sort of realistic, just speculating:

a metal hook should require more bars than the gem hooks needs gems as it is easier to obtain, therefore making the hooks longer because they use more materials. And because metals tend to be heavy it would be a slightly realistic and clever idea to make them slower because they are technically heavier.

Metal hooks should have higher range but lower velocity, that way the gem hooks stay useful and not too hard to get only to be worse than the metal hooks, but it would also be sort of realistic, just speculating:

a metal hook should require more bars than the gem hooks needs gems as it is easier to obtain, therefore making the hooks longer because they use more materials. And because metals tend to be heavy it would be a slightly realistic and clever idea to make them slower because they are technically heavier.
While giving the metal hooks a slower velocity would be more realistic, I tried to make the metal hooks have better stats than their corresponding gem hooks so that they wouldn't be useless. Because they are restricted to only hooking to the hook boards, the metal hooks have a huge disadvantage. To me, both the extra range and extra velocity are necessary to balancing the metal hooks with the gem hooks.

While giving the metal hooks a slower velocity would be more realistic, I tried to make the metal hooks have better stats than their corresponding gem hooks so that they wouldn't be useless. Because they are restricted to only hooking to the hook boards, the metal hooks have a huge disadvantage. To me, both the extra range and extra velocity are necessary to balancing the metal hooks with the gem hooks.
Like i said though, it would make the gem hooks pretty much useless as none of the stats top the metal hooks, and because they would be easier to obtain the gem hooks wouldn't be a solid option anymore

Like i said though, it would make the gem hooks pretty much useless as none of the stats top the metal hooks, and because they would be easier to obtain the gem hooks wouldn't be a solid option anymore

To balance the ease of obtaining these hooks, and to make them a viable piece of equipment for adventure maps, these hooks can only hook to certain hook pads. They would be made out of two of any wood at a work bench, and must be placed on a minimum length two of blocks. As shown below, the hook pads can be placed on floors, ceilings and either side wall.
82WboED.png
VYR7XiR.png
iDM8d5x.png
lw4b1GT.png

Because these would be basically useless outside of adventure map purposes, each hook has an increase of 5 range and 2.5 velocity over their gem counterparts. Now if this sounds overpowered to anyone, remember that these can only hook to points at which you've already placed hook pads at.
Yes, these hooks would be easier to obtain, and more powerful in raw stats, but the trouble it would involve to use these instead of gem hooks would be great. Instead of being able to hook around everywhere, you must first place the hook pads, which requires you to already have been to the spot you want to hook to.

EDIT: As a side note, the actual stat changes aren't that important to the idea of the thread. If, big if, the devs ever decided to add something like this to the game, they could change the stats to their liking.

Yes, these hooks would be easier to obtain, and more powerful in raw stats, but the trouble it would involve to use these instead of gem hooks would be great. Instead of being able to hook around everywhere, you must first place the hook pads, which requires you to already have been to the spot you want to hook to.
whoops, i feel like a ret4rd, i didn't read the thing entirely xD (said ret4rd bc it makes a stupid emote if i dont)

Awesome suggestion, but the metal alternatives should have the same stats. .5 won't make much of a difference, but it'd tidy it up.

Full support though!

platinum hook for 33 block reach ? sure , i'll trash my lunar hook
Whoops, I didn't notice your post when I replied to the others. The metal hooks would be very restricted:
82WboED.png
VYR7XiR.png
iDM8d5x.png
lw4b1GT.png

Because these would be basically useless outside of adventure map purposes, each hook has an increase of 5 range and 2.5 velocity over their gem counterparts. Now if this sounds overpowered to anyone, remember that these can only hook to points at which you've already placed hook pads at.

Back
Top Bottom